PDA

View Full Version : New to 53 Willys

Btroy
01-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Hi guys, new to the forum as well as my 53 Willys truck. Bought it to fix up but already needing more than I expected. Good learning project. :). Looking forward to it.

I have restored several cars and trucks over the years and have a few basic questions about this project.

Was told this truck came from the fire department years ago, who knows?

Pretty decent shape considering the age.

I attempted to look up the engine but it is nowhere I could find. Stamped on the pad above the water pump is T51474.
I assume this is a 4-134 L or F I am not sure. The plugs are on the side of the head so I think its an F. Other number on the engine is 646228-L-W11A-N1-CR-N2 if this matters.

Can not locate the SN number on the body yet.

Good to be here, looks like decades of knowledge.

Btroy
01-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Picture of outside

LarrBeard
01-27-2018, 07:54 AM
A. The picture didn't post, you figured that by now. To get it to post, scroll down past the text box, click
"Go Advanced", select "Manage Attachments", select a picture from somewhere and upload it. When it finishes uploading - close the window.

B. The type of engine is easy to figure. If it has a valve cover, it's an F-134. If it has all four plugs sticking straight up, its an L-134. Since the plugs stick out the side, its a F-134.

On a truck, the serial number should be on the firewall - but plates have been know to vanish. '53 and later trucks only have three horizontal grill bars.

C. Get a KWAS catalog - the front part is a Jeep encyclopedia.

Btroy
01-27-2018, 08:30 AM
One side.
I have received that catalog, it's great.

Thanks

LarrBeard
01-28-2018, 07:54 AM
It looks like you have a good starting point for just about whatever you want to do with it.