PDA

View Full Version : 226 super hurricane motor questions

Willys owner matt
03-12-2018, 10:01 AM
I have a 1948 cj2a with the super hurricane 226 6 cylinder swapped into it. The motors distributor was in good shape just the cap and wires aren't. What years would I need to look up to find parts for the 226 super hurricane motor in it? And would anyone know what size the 2 thermostat housing bolts are in the picture and the thread count? The motor was also missing that I have the housing and thermostat and a sleeve thing but I'm missing the bolts and will have to chase the threads to clean them out. Any help is greatly appreciated because I have no clue about these old jeeps just the New ones.

gmwillys
03-13-2018, 05:03 AM
Missing hardware is very common with these old Willys. To answer your question, in a round about way, the bolt will be a 3/8" course thread bolt. I could not find the proper length, but from a guess, it is either 1 1/2" or possibly 2". The best advice I could give is to take some wire, place the thermostat housing in place, and run the wire into the mount hole. Measure how much of the wire is within the mount hole, and back off an 1/8", so the bolt doesn't bottom out in the hole. I would strongly suggest using a grade eight bolt, just to keep from having troubles down the road with bolt breakage...(I use grade eights on everything). Tractor Supply still sells hardware by the pound, so that is an economical place to start stocking up various sizes. Every time I go by there, I buy a pound or two of hardware, just to put into inventory for when I might need something.

Willys owner matt
03-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Wow honestly I've been looking for that answer for over a year now! Thank you soooooooo much in going to the hardware store this weekend and putting that system together! Hooray

gmwillys
03-14-2018, 02:02 PM
No problem. There isn't a lot of info out there on the 226 Super Hurricane, when it comes to hardware. Good Luck!

Willys owner matt
03-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks I will definitely need it somehow my grandfather bypassed the oil filter which I'm gonna order and put back on and run the hoses, and mess around with the throttle cable while I decode how much of the body I can salvage

LarrBeard
03-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Bypassed oil filters were not that unusual, you just plugged the holes and went on with life. One less part to replace. Many engines did not even have filters back then, and they were partial flow filters.

But, when you are doing a restart like this, getting all of the crud you can out of the oil is a great idea!

Willys owner matt
03-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Ohhhh I didn't know that very interesting