PDA

View Full Version : Engine help

nhra78
04-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Hello I am new to this site. I am trying to help someone out by getting their Jeep running for them. I have attached a picture of the engine that is in it. The Jeep is a 54. Not sure if this engine is original or would it have been a flathead? I was just wondering a good source for rebuild and tune up parts? There is a number cast into the block on the passenger side near the oil pan. I plan on looking into things further tomorrow and can get more info if I know where to look. Thank you for any help.

Sebastian21
04-06-2018, 09:59 PM
It looks like a F134 four cylinder. You can get all the parts from Kaiser Willys and or Sumitt Racing.

LarrBeard
04-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Hello I am new to this site. I am trying to help someone out by getting their Jeep running for them. I have attached a picture of the engine that is in it. The Jeep is a 54. Not sure if this engine is original or would it have been a flathead? I was just wondering a good source for rebuild and tune up parts? There is a number cast into the block on the passenger side near the oil pan. I plan on looking into things further tomorrow and can get more info if I know where to look. Thank you for any help.

54 CJ-3B's used the F-134. Intake valves are in the head, exhaust in the block. That is the correct engine.

Kaiser -Willys has just about everything but the block.

nhra78
04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
54 CJ-3B's used the F-134. Intake valves are in the head, exhaust in the block. That is the correct engine.

Kaiser -Willys has just about everything but the block.

Thank you both for the quick response

Sebastian21
04-07-2018, 05:08 PM
The F 134 engine is a poorly designed engine. The oil pump is of a very poor design. If you rebuild the engine get a high quality oil pump. You will notice on the F head as the RPM's increase the oil pressure goes down. That is because of the poor design of a external oil pump. The rear main seal is a split seal which tends to leak.

LarrBeard
04-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Hmmmm. I've not noticed that on any of my F-134's. After an hour or so on the road, I may see a little drop in oil pressure, but I have written that off as things getting warmed up. Idle pressure does drop when it gets warm.

In my humble opinion, if you see oil pressure dropping at high RPM, it's more likely that the oil pickup is running low on oil to scavenge in the pan. How about the shims in the oil pump pressure regulator?

gmwillys
04-08-2018, 11:02 AM
If the oil pressure drops at a higher RPM, then I would be looking at either/both oil pump or/and cam and main bearings. The oil pump can cavitate oil when worn out, reducing pressure at speed. A spun bearing could possibly do the same, but other issues would arise. Oil starvation, and a persistent knock would be the first clue.

I have had several 134 c.i. Willys engines, and oil pressure really hasn't been an issue on any of them. My current 2A runs just shy of 50 psi when cold, and 15 psi at idle when at operating temperature. The engine is about due for a rebuild, but does run well for the time being.