PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

bmorgil
06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
I am learning so much from my elders!

TJones
06-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Time to start thinking of my radiator options, thanks to bmorgil I think I am going with Champion. I have a email into them to see if they can custom build one for me.

LarrBeard
06-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Those lights really look nice!

TJones
06-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Thank You LarrBeard!!

bmorgil
06-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Totally love the accent ring around the headlights!

TJones
06-30-2019, 05:04 PM
The orange and red rings are LED lights, haven't figured out which ones to make running lights and or turn signals.

bmorgil
06-30-2019, 05:08 PM
It"s alive!!!! That is very cool!

gmwillys
06-30-2019, 05:42 PM
Looking great!

TJones
07-31-2019, 06:07 PM
Got my Champion Radiator today and it fit like a glove!!!!!46654666466746684669

I am Super Pleased with how it turned out!!!
Thanks to All that gave input,I am glad I went with Champion....

bmorgil
07-31-2019, 06:11 PM
That is some nice work!

TJones
07-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Yes it is!!
Thanks bmorgil for your advice, I’m impressed with it...

LarrBeard
07-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Oooohhhh ...

AWWhhhhhhhh ... !

TJones
08-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Getting closer 4716

Put her on the Dyno tonight and fired it up to set the timing and air/fuel mixture. Got it all set and going to let it cool down tonight and run again tomorrow then she’ll be ready to stuff in the frame.

bmorgil
08-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Wise choice on the dyno. Best way to guarantee a good motor.

TJones
08-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks bmorgil, the guy doing the motor won’t let anything out of his shop until it sits on the Dyno...
It’s just been a while getting him to get to it.
Being a drag racer you’ve probably heard of him “Pro Car Associates”

bmorgil
08-13-2019, 07:02 PM
First class place TJones. I agree with his philosiphy 100%. When you build champion stuff, you need that dyno assurance. The Dyno is the best money I ever spent on a motor. You know exactly what will happen when you start it up, after all the work of getting it in.

gmwillys
08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Good deal! What numbers did she pull? You'll be making noise at the shop in no time.

We put 100% of our serviced power packs across the Dyno. A static, no load run doesn't ensure a good plant, but the Dyno tells the tale. Often times, a cracked head or a blown head gasket doesn't show on a pre-run, (no load) but a minute at full load, and the overflow bottle pooches out and becomes a gyser. The Dyno is set up to run what we call a FUPP, (full up power pack). The complete set up includes the trans, hydraulic manifolds, the rads, and coolers. It's a neat set up, and pretty effective.

TJones
08-14-2019, 05:34 AM
He really hasn’t put it under a load yet to see what it’s putting out, he just wanted it to go through a heat up cycle “175-185” and get the air/fuel numbers where need to be with the Sniper FI system and let it cool down overnight. Today will be the day he puts it under a load and see where the numbers come in. The thing that bothers me is it has a lot of ring blow bye and it’s making a lot of smoke out of the valve cover vents. The V-6s have a tendency to have some blow bye anyway but not as much as this one does being it was a remaned long block from Fraser in Michigan. He said the rings may seat in after it cools down and with some hours on it, I guess we’ll see today if not we’ll pull it apart and see what’s going on.

gmwillys
08-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Did you use stock style pistons? I ask because I had a neighbor whom had a '70 442 W-30, and his buddy the drag racer talked him into using light weight pistons for his engine build. The first summer of running, and it was drinking oil rather fast. Come to find out that the pistons were single compression ring, good for drag racing pistons. They couldn't handle the up and down RPM of everyday driving, so there was a ton of blow by after a short summer season.

If you went with a stock style of piston, then he may of used some good Moly rings. They take a couple of heat cycles to seat themselves in good. If engine builder isn't sweating, then you shouldn't either. It will be just fine.

bmorgil
08-14-2019, 06:26 PM
TJones, without question run a leak down right now. You will want to compare the percentage after the next pull. There will be good information there. It should seal up to less than 3% that's for sure. If there is something wrong and its leaking big right now (which it should not be), it is going to stick out on a leak down. You will hear the air coming past the pistons or heaven forbid, elsewhere. If it is freshly rebuilt and not fired, 10% is about the norm. A top quality racing motor will consistently leak down at 1% on a fresh motor right off the break in dyno. At 3% the big boys re-ring them. I personally don't like to get near 10% but, some do. I think at 10% power is down significantly and they start to consume and dirty the oil. Most would agree when it goes over 10% it is worn out. Don't put it in if it won't seal on the dyno.

I always leaked down motors after the Dyno. You know if you have a "sweet one" or an ok one. You also have some numbers to compare at a later date should it start behaving badly.

Since its all out there naked, I used to employ a very nice little trick. Plug every hole in the motor. Hook (rig up) an air line with a regulator on to the breather. Fill the crankcase with 5 or so psi of air. It needs to "try" to hold it in the crankcase. You will hear it hissing past the ring gaps. Any where else, if you have the motor well plugged, is an oil leak. I can tell you it is sweet when you get it to hold a little air. After you put it all together and drive it around, there will be no drips on the floor. And you will know this ahead of time!

Didn't mean to ramble TJ but, you have a good way to gather some info there, and to ease your mind. The dyno operator should be used to this procedure. No top builder should let a motor go out the door without knowing exactly how each cylinder leaked, after and even during break in.

TJones
08-15-2019, 05:29 AM
We did a leak down on #1 and it was 30%, I called Fraser in Michigan and they told me it was out of warranty.
So off the Dyno and back in the engine room to come apart and see what’s allying it.
Damn about the time you think there’s light at the end of tunnel, it’s just a train!!!

LarrBeard
08-15-2019, 07:10 AM
Well - that's bad news, but good news too. AT least you saw the light in enough time that it didn't turn into a train wreck...

Finding an Aw Shyxxt like this (as Pelago would put it) is never good news, but it is much easier to address it now than once you get the engine in the vehicle and then have to address it.

Good Catch!

Of course you have to let us know the culprit.

bmorgil
08-15-2019, 08:10 AM
This is good news TJ. I have personally felt the agony of installing a motor with a bad seal on the rings. A lot of work to put the engine in, a lot of work to pull it out. They make a mess. Dirty oil in the motor on the floor, ruins the plugs.

I am so used to pulling them down after a dyno run at least once to get it perfect. I would be good with it for sure. Next time will be a charm. Pressurize it before the dyno pull. Seal it up tight. It should come off the dyno clean and less than 3%. You will have that good feeling that when it does go in, it won't be something you have to worry about.

TJones
08-15-2019, 08:36 PM
Pro Car built a blown V6 for me 20 years ago and wouldn’t let it out of his shop with less
than a 4% blow by and it made 965 hp with a measly little 471 blower so I know he’s not letting this get out of his shop the way it is now!!!

bmorgil
08-15-2019, 08:48 PM
A nice warm motor that leaks down at 3 to 4% will certainly work for me!

TJones
08-15-2019, 08:52 PM
That’s what I want bmorgil is 3-5%!!

TJones
08-15-2019, 08:55 PM
I’ll know better tomorrow when we tear it down.

TJones
08-15-2019, 09:02 PM
I’m thinking Fraser bored 30 over to and used stock pistons and rings and said it’s good!!

TJones
08-15-2019, 09:11 PM
All V-6s are fussy Chevy or Buick’s I’ve learned that!!!!
But I do know they will make HP....

bmorgil
08-16-2019, 07:59 AM
I have built a few motors on the Chevy V6 Marine block. They will make good power. Cylinder wall preparation and attention to detail make the difference between a 1% motor and a 5% motor. The machining process is critical. If low RPM (under 7000) is your plan, I would take a serious look at a Total Seal Ring. I have achieved some pretty outstanding ring seal with them. They can "flutter" at high RPM but, on the right motor they are perfect. They can make for a very impressive, clean running street motor. Boring and finish honing with a head plate, and the ring manufactures suggested stones, will get the most from any ring package.

http://www.totalseal.com/

bmorgil
08-18-2019, 09:00 AM
TJones, I had to add to our leak down conversation. At the National Tractor Pulls yesterday, I was speaking with a a good friend of mine that I used to work with. An outstanding engineer and 12 time National Tractor pulling Champion. He had just finished pulling the day before. We started talking ring seal on a motor that just took a first.

With nearly a 5 inch bore and gaped rings, on a fresh valve job, he was getting under 5%! I cannot tell you much about the work that went into the cylinder, ring and honing (secret stuff ya know). Needless to say it is significant, However that is a huge bore to get that result with gaped rings. The thing that was significant in our conversation was the motor was getting better as it pulled hard. After several runs it was approaching numbers less than 4%.

TJones
08-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Well Guys Saturday was not a good day at the Jones' house :(:(
Chris at Pro Car called me and said you better come down and take a look at your engine, when I got there he had pulled it off the Dyno and had it all tore apart only to find that the "Remanufactured Engine" I supposedly bought from Fraser Engine Rebuilders in Michigan looked like it had 200,000 miles on it......
It had the wrong pistons in it,the bearings were shot, the cam was so tight we couldn't even turn it by hand and had a hell of a time even getting it out.
So I am back to square one.47434744474547464747

TJones
08-19-2019, 11:09 AM

LarrBeard
08-19-2019, 11:26 AM
From last week:

" I called Fraser in Michigan and they told me it was out of warranty. "

I have to ask myself, as well as the rebuilder, just what does "Out of Warranty" have to do with a job done this badly?

TJones
08-19-2019, 11:32 AM
From last week:

" I called Fraser in Michigan and they told me it was out of warranty. "

I have to ask myself, as well as the rebuilder, just what does "Out of Warranty" have to do with a job done this badly?

I agree LarrBeard
And the simple fact that it has a total of 25 minutes running since I took it out of the crate.

bmorgil
08-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Wow TJ! They sold that as a rebuilt motor? That is as shady as it gets. That dyno just saved you a serious heart ache. It's to bad they are far away. A trip to small claims court would get their attention.

TJones
08-19-2019, 11:50 AM
For almost $3,000.00 I will drive 125 miles to Michigan if they don’t make it right!!!

bmorgil
08-19-2019, 01:03 PM
I would put it on a pallet and bring it back, Warranty or not, clearly a misrepresentation. That looks like someone tore down an old motor, ran a hand hone through it, and threw in some rings. Some big alignment issues on the bearings.

TJones
08-19-2019, 06:00 PM
The owner called me this afternoon and said “it sucks to be you” but your warranty on that motor was only good for 1 year and you bought it June 12th 2017, he said I don’t know how long you’ve ran it and this is the end of our conversation and hung up. :mad::mad::mad:

bmorgil
08-19-2019, 06:19 PM
WOW! So they figured take an old motor, cut the pistons out, clean it up and give it a one year warranty. Hoping you would make it a year on that lousy example of a re-manufactured engine. Bold bastards. Well I guess they aren't interested in word of mouth business.

A blessing in disguise. It is a good core. It ran and appears to be able to go oversize on the bores. Put it together like you want. Cam it and compress it to your application. Select your components and dyno it again. At least you will never have to guess whats in the motor.

gmwillys
08-19-2019, 07:51 PM
With the interwebs a strong tool these days, a bad rep spreads like wild fire. I hate the 3 grand ouch, but Bmorgil is right. The bones are there to make you a sweet runner, but now it will cost double to make it right. Sorry my friend.

LarrBeard
08-19-2019, 08:41 PM
A. Drop a line to the BBB. There is a difference between a warranty and a misrepresentation. He misrepresented this as a functional remanufactured engine.

B. Go out and scream at the sky like the snowflakes do. You've probably already cussed a blue streak - maybe just to yourself.

C. As the Eagles say .."Get over it.."

D. Build the engine you really wanted and count yourself lucky that POS isn't sitting in that exceptional Jeep!

E. Keep us informed - you're starting to build The Legend that goes with every Jeep Project.

("Let me tell you about the missing head bolt under the carburetor...")

TJones
08-20-2019, 05:18 AM
To the “3 Wise Men”
Thanks for the Encouragement Guys, I think after I cool down a little I will creep around the web to see if they have a Facebook page or any place on their web page and secretly make some pretty negative comments about their Half Fast commitment to produce a “Rebuilt Engine”.
God works in mysterious ways, my engine guy at Pro Car told me to keep an eye out for HD Steel shelving for his shop and just so happens I have 7 or 8 semi loads that I bought CHEAP at a auction 2 weeks ago, so my problem is solved, he said we’ll do some horse trading on a complete rebuild of a 4.1 252 c.i. Buick V-6...
Problem solved, but I’m not quite done with Fraser Engine Rebuilders!!!!
P.S. I’ll post some pictures if you know of anyone looking for HD shelving.

LarrBeard
08-20-2019, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE I’m not quite done with Fraser Engine Rebuilders!!!! [/QUOTE]

Fighting with an organization like Fraser is like 'rasslin with a pig:

A. It's hard to get hold of

B. It screams to high heavens that you're picking on it

D. You get bruised, bitten and muddy

E. In the end, the pig enjoyed the attention!

I'm glad those loads of shelves turned out to be useful at the right time! Horse trading does have a real satisfying feeling to it.

gmwillys
08-20-2019, 11:18 AM
In my last home shop, I had bought enough pallet racking to encircle three walls. Two walls I had cut down the racking to a proper work bench height, then plated it with 1/4" boiler plate, (made a very durable surface, but I should have put plywood underneath because it would ring like a bell when striking it with a hammer). The corner and side wall went up 12' for storage. I had engines and transmissions all palletized for storage, then drivelines in their respective places. The back corner was where the pool table was stowed when not in use, then the next shelf up was my snowmobile during the summer months. If I recall correctly, I had $300. in all the shelving, then the boiler plate was a horse trade. Shelving is a great asset to have laying around!

You'll find satisfaction that you ended up with a motor that is right and reliable. Problems end up having their own solutions hidden underneath.

LarrBeard
08-20-2019, 11:53 AM
"Problems end up having their own solutions hidden underneath."

Yeah, but I'd still kind of like to go a round with that pig.

gmwillys
08-20-2019, 03:31 PM
True. We would all like to have a round with that pig.

TJones
08-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Here you go guys if anyone is interested in shelving.......4762476347644765[4766

TJones
08-20-2019, 04:24 PM

TJones
08-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Like I said I have a Boat Load of it:D:D:D

TJones
08-21-2019, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE I’m not quite done with Fraser Engine Rebuilders!!!!

Fighting with an organization like Fraser is like 'rasslin with a pig:

A. It's hard to get hold of

B. It screams to high heavens that you're picking on it

D. You get bruised, bitten and muddy

E. In the end, the pig enjoyed the attention!

I'm glad those loads of shelves turned out to be useful at the right time! Horse trading does have a real satisfying feeling to it.[/QUOTE]

LarrBeard is C. a secret or are you testing us to see if we’re really paying attention :rolleyes::confused:

gmwillys
08-21-2019, 08:11 PM
C. Is a secret.

If the subject was payback, C. Might be considered premeditated if a court of law were to catch wind of it.

The shelves are just like the ones that I had. They are great to have.

TJones
08-21-2019, 08:22 PM
That’s Funny gm

LarrBeard
08-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Nothing sinister or secret, just poor proofreading.

bmorgil
08-22-2019, 11:23 AM
I think we should keep "C" a secret. It's making LarrBeard nervous. He's trying to redact it. I think he is afraid of today's media getting a hold of the "Secret C".

TJones
08-22-2019, 12:05 PM
You guy's are Killing Me:D:D:D

gmwillys
08-22-2019, 02:52 PM
We're just trying to cheer you up.... and make the Senior Chief question our sanity.

LarrBeard
08-22-2019, 03:48 PM
We're just trying to cheer you up.... and make the Senior Chief question our sanity.

G. The sanity of this group is not in question - now figure out which way that comment goes.

M. If you guys are hasslin' me, you're leaving someone alone who might be offended. I've been annoyed by professionals!

K. There are two things about paybacks - we all know the first one and the other is that they are certain.

Z. It takes a lot more effort to hassle someone than it does to ignore them. Like the pig, I enjoy the attention.....

There isn't much going on right now, I can tell from the light hearted social stuff ...

gmwillys
08-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Well, at least we can figure which way he's leaning on the sanity scale.

TJones
08-23-2019, 03:43 AM
I am starting to re-think my comment about “The 3 Wise Men” and starting to think that there is only 1:confused::confused:

gmwillys
08-23-2019, 06:17 AM
I'll second the one wise man. I'm more of a wise a##, at least that's what the long suffering Misses.

TJones
08-23-2019, 11:41 AM
I told mine the story and she said the same thing about me GM, sometimes they don't know what they are talking about especially when it comes to Heep Stuff.......other than it keeps me out of the Beer Gardens;):cool:

bmorgil
08-23-2019, 05:12 PM
I am afraid to jump in this game! Two of the players are in the advanced group.

gmwillys
08-24-2019, 03:57 AM
There's room at the top for another, but be careful. The advanced may be just a disguise for a special needs group.

TJones
09-19-2019, 06:41 AM
Finally got me a bare block to get the tranny and transfer case mounted so I can see if the floor needs cut any to get my overdrive shifter in, then the tub goes out to get powder coated.
All while my "Second Motor is getting built".........:(:(:(

LarrBeard
09-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Finally got me a bare block to get the tranny and transfer case mounted so I can see if the floor needs cut any to get my overdrive shifter in, then the tub goes out to get powder coated.

All while my "Second Motor is getting built"

As usual I didn't read the text before I went to the pictures and as I looked at the picture from the passenger rear view, I wondered "Has he put an overdrive on the back of that transmission?". Then, when I read the writing - yep, that's an OD on there.

That linkage sits right in there really closely, so you may not have to do anything.

That junk bare block works about as well as the junk engine would have, and it won't get any worse than it is now.

Have you decided on any improvements for the new engine build or are you staying with the same basic motor but just done right this time?

TJones
09-20-2019, 04:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing LarrBeard after measuring but I didn’t want to send it out and have it done then have to trim it up later after it was powder coated.
As far as the motor, he sent it down to get it line bored, decked and bored the cylinders 30 thousandths. He’s changing the pistons to flat tops and putting a bigger cam in it, Not much change to the motor other than doing it right this time.

On a another note:
I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion?
Seems like a big jump to me. :confused:
It’s a Warn OD.

LarrBeard
09-20-2019, 06:54 AM
On a another note: I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion? Seems like a big jump to me. :confused: It’s a Warn OD.
I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion? Seems like a big jump to me. It’s a Warn OD.

I looked at the description of the Warn OD in the KWAS catalog and it is described as a 25% Overdrive. The question is "What does that 25% mean?" If I go back to the '48 Mechanic's Manual and look in the overdrive section, the description of the Borg Warner OD is "When overdrive is used the engine speed is reduced about 30% at speeds over approximately 30 mph". (In this case 30 mph is where the electrical governor kicked in, but this would be when you shifted manually.

I would assume that the Warn OD, being a 25% OD, would give you a 25% reduction in RPM for a given road speed - or the engine will be running at 75% of its original rpm for a given pace down the road.

I'd multiply 5.38 x 0.75 to find the effective drive train ratio - and when I do that I come up with a number close to 4.035. Not the 3.73 your friend predicted, but still a significant gain. I would suspect that OD will be the predominant driving mode.

TJones
09-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Taking the tub to get powder coated today, didn't have to cut as much as I thought out of the floor to get the OD shift lever in.

LarrBeard
09-22-2019, 02:53 PM
There are so many levers sticking through there it's starting to look like a backhoe... .

TJones
09-22-2019, 04:18 PM
You got that right LarrBeard :cool:
The bride ask what they were all for and I told her ones the transmission,1 is for the hi and low range, 1 is for 2wd and 4 wd and the 4th was a eject lever for the passenger seat and she asked if we can take that one out......

bmorgil
09-25-2019, 07:59 AM
[I]I'd multiply 5.38 x 0.75 to find the effective drive train ratio - and when I do that I come up with a number close to 4.035. Not the 3.73 your friend predicted, but still a significant gain. I would suspect that OD will be the predominant driving mode.

That's the formula to use alright LarrBeard.

TJ, we had a little discussion about this before with Kmorris. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2160-Cj3a-restoration&highlight=overdrive

TJones
10-05-2019, 05:35 AM
Got the tub powder coated this weekend!!!!
Just did the inside and the underside, going to paint the firewall,dash,cowl and sides to match,

TJones
10-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Some pictures before it went into the oven this morning.

gmwillys
10-05-2019, 03:32 PM
Looking great! Hopefully you'll be happy with this rendition.

bmorgil
10-05-2019, 08:32 PM
That is just looking plain cool!

TJones
10-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Thanks Guy’s
Hopefully it will turn out to match the rest.
The guy I have painting it claims it will match, we’ll see.

TJones
10-22-2019, 05:05 AM

Getting closer

gmwillys
10-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Looking good. She'll be straight as an arrow. Much better than the original body work.

TJones
10-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Yes it will gm, starting to get excited again.
The whole motor deal kind of took the wind out of my sails, but now that we ordered all new pistons,rings, and bearings to rebuild a already "rebuilt engine" and the body is getting painted I am starting to get a little wind back in them!!!!

gmwillys
10-22-2019, 03:58 PM
You'll be close if not ready to drive come summer time.

TJones
12-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Finally got my garage done at the house........ Now I can start back up on my Jeep project

bmorgil
12-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Now that's showing off! Is that an engine lab or a garage or... perhaps a cafe?

okiemark
12-09-2019, 08:45 AM
That is very nice.

gmwillys
12-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Now I'm really jealous. Someday I'll have another shop like that again.

Now, we may have a meeting place to where we all could get together......

bmorgil
12-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Now, we may have a meeting place to where we all could get together......

Though the "TJ Cafe" is intriguing, how about we meet in Alabama? Have you seen the Northern Ohio forecast? It ain't pretty!

TJones
12-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks Guy's
Come on up,down, over wherever your at...........The garage is ALWAYS OPEN and the fridge is always full of beer, the bride is a little upset I just put a urinal in instead of a toilet and I told her if she can't hit it I will glue a seat on it for her :):):)

LarrBeard
12-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Thanks Guy's
Come on up,down, over wherever your at...........The garage is ALWAYS OPEN and the fridge is always full of beer, the bride is a little upset I just put a urinal in instead of a toilet and I told her if she can't hit it I will glue a seat on it for her

Awhhhh, you're really a brave man. It's getting really close to Christmas to be getting that lippy..

bmorgil
12-09-2019, 12:35 PM
He made his choice Larry, he's living in the garage.

gmwillys
12-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Garage-mahal.

It's been pretty nice down here. Yesterday I was still out in short sleeves, and had the garage door open. One of my co-workers is from up around Orrville, (Land of Smucker jelly), and he was complaining of how cold it was. To think I still miss the -30 temps and snow a couple of feet at a time. I kept the snowmobile covered up outside the back door, ready for a rip to replenish the "antifreeze" from the local on/off sale establishment.

You all are welcome anytime to come and go for a trail ride through the National forest.

TJones
12-13-2019, 07:17 AM

gmwillys
12-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Looks better than factory.

TJones
12-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Thank You Sir.

TJones
12-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Great News this morning from Pro Car Associates here in Akron, they are picking up the whole rotating assembly from the balance shop and they say it is balanced within .5 gram from being spot on. Now I see daylight at the end of the tunnel........:):):)

gmwillys
12-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Great news. .5 is a better number for sure.

If it were my luck, it wouldn't be day light but rather an oncoming train.

bmorgil
12-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Now we are talking! .5 is a long long long way from 8 oz which is 227 grams by the way.... you guy's.

TJones
12-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Just about ready to open shop, got my "Back Yard Buddy" 4 post lift in this past week!!!!

gmwillys
12-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Sweet. Good thing you are 12 hours away, or you would be tired of seeing me. When I built my last shop, I had designed it to facilitate two of those style of lifts so I could stack cars. Then have a third for working on one. I like the option of moving them around to clean up the shop in between projects. Money well spent Sir.

okiemark
12-23-2019, 09:38 AM
That looks great. Nothing like working in comfort.

TJones
12-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Thanks GM, I probably wouldn't get tired of seeing you but the Bride might:):) she tells everyone thats my new Wife, bc I spend so much time out there. Wait till I bring my Jeep from the shop to the house!!!!
They had that "7,000 lb Workforce" lift left over from 2018 inventory and he knocked $1,800 off if I took it and brought the owner cash.
They are made in Warren Ohio which is only 45 minutes east of my shop, kinda handy.

LarrBeard
12-23-2019, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=TJones;10284]Just about ready to open shop, got my "Back Yard Buddy" 4 post lift in this past week!!!!

You need to get that weed whacker off the wall before it falls off and dings a Jeep!

Heat, power, shop air .. and now a lift.

I am as green with envy as the Grinch. (Not really...)

TJones
12-23-2019, 01:50 PM
If it falls off the wall you may see smoke as far east as Indiana, NW to Toledo and as far south as Alabama:):):)

bmorgil
12-23-2019, 02:22 PM
May your Jeep not piss on the clean floor!

gmwillys
12-23-2019, 06:25 PM
I built my first shop before I met my first mistake. After the honeymoon portion, she constantly gripped about how much time I spent out there..... I am not sure to what she thought the building was for, but in hind sight, the shop and projects would have been much cheaper in the long run if I would have known now what I didn't know then.

bmorgil
12-24-2019, 08:27 AM
Ah the beauty of hindsight!

TJones
12-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Getting Closer everyday!!!!

Next she goes on the Dyno.

gmwillys
12-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Looks like a runner. Now lets twist her tail and see what she's got.

TJones
12-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Can't wait to get it in, I think I will pet it for a little while then "twist her tail" :):):)

gmwillys
12-27-2019, 04:28 PM
It will be ready to rock after coming off the Dyno. They'll do the break in, then pull the load to see what you have. We twist on a water brake Dyno each power pack that we service and put together. Each one will average in the middle range of around 300 brake horsepower, with the high mark of 350 BHP and a low end of 285 BHP. The numbers improve when using #2 diesel, but most all are fueled with JP4 or JP8. The reasoning for using jet fuel is to utilize the same fuel source that the main battle tanks use.

The government side Dyno tests their Continental1790 c.i. air cooled diesels that crank out 1,200 BHP. These will shake the building, especially when running three at a time. They used to test the turbine engines that power the M1 Abrams main battle tanks, in our building but the 1,800 horse out put was too much for the test bench.

bmorgil
12-27-2019, 06:56 PM
Nothing is more thrilling to a gear head, than a Motor pulling hard and crying out against the water brake. I love the Dyno Room!

TJones
12-28-2019, 05:23 AM
I will have to take some pictures of Pro Cars Dyno, the founder of Pro Car the late “Chuck Wright” built his own Dyno over a 5 year time span and now his son Chris Wright uses it everyday. Chuck was a Wealth of Knowledge when it came to engines and tuning them. Chris is now tuning LS motors with the new 4 valve heads he is building from a block of aluminum with his new CNC machine. He is getting 600-800 hp out of stock motors depending on what cam and injection system he uses. You can follow his testing on his Facebook page “Pro-Car Associates or Multi-Valve Technology”. He said his Dyno is capable of testing up to 3,000 hp, I’m telling you it is a impressive piece of equipment!!!!

TJones
12-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Here are some pictures of his Dyno and one of his CNC machine.

bmorgil
12-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Very nice! Lots of room. There is no better assurance that it is worth going through the rest of the work to put it in. It takes a lot off you as you finish up knowing the motor is not going to be an issue. If it survives the dyno, comes out not dripping, It wont have to come back out.

TJones
12-28-2019, 07:47 AM
bmorgil you’ll have to make a road trip down my way one weekend and I’ll take you over to their shop, it’s pretty impressive and you may know some of the same people Chris knows!!!!
I forgot to mention he tunes “The Mistress” car that runs in the No Prep Street Outlaws class and that car makes almost 3,000 hp with a single turbo that’s probably as big around as a 5 gallon bucket CRAZY POWER!!!!!

bmorgil
12-28-2019, 07:56 AM
It will happen TJ, I was just in Hudson for the Holidays (not far from Summit auto). I have some relation around there. I am usually around a few times a year. We'll have to get together for sure.

TJones
12-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Deal.....Hudson is 5 minutes from my house, we live in Northampton just give me a couple days notice and I’ll pick you up and we’ll have some fun for a few hours!!!

LarrBeard
12-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Nothing is more thrilling to a gear head, than a Motor pulling hard and crying out against the water brake. I love the Dyno Room!

It that what/who I think it is hiding under all of those sheets and moving blankets?

bmorgil
12-28-2019, 10:38 AM
It is peeJ, warm and cozy under blankets in the heated garage. A true Garage Queen!

LarrBeard
12-28-2019, 11:22 AM
It is peeJ, warm and cozy under blankets in the heated garage. A true Garage Queen!

We were talking about the '48 truck over Christmas and one of the more imaginative grand-daughters said that it had " ... gone to a Spa for the winter ..." , it had received an " ... exfoliating skin treatment ... " and was going to get " ... a new look makeover with new skin tones and highlights ...".

I'm not sure that is how I want my truck described - it sounds just too girly.

(But, if exfoliated means getting a layer of skin peeled off - I guess that fits)

gmwillys
12-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Whatever it takes to get folks to understand. With a group of people of 20 somethings males and females, you have to give work instructions out in the simplest terms possible.

His Dyno looks even better than the ones we use. Their craftsmanship shows.

A Dyno room is a great place to spend time in, and even better to be paid to be there day in and day out. The bigger engines are proofed for 50 hours straight of constant load. When they test more than two at a time, items on my desk would move through the vibration through the building.

TJones
12-28-2019, 12:18 PM
DAMN LarrBeard that Baby is going to be Priceless... I can't wait to see the finished product.
I looked at their add and I think that ole boy has more money invested in Old Gas pumps that I have invested in iron we work (or play) in the dirt with everyday. You sure can tell he Loves what he does!!!!

TJones
12-28-2019, 12:37 PM
You are right gm, I love to go down and help Chris get them set up on the dyno and just sit on the computer side of the bullet proof glass and watch him run through a warm up then he shuts em down. after they cool down he does it all over again and starts on the process of running them through the load, WOW it's exciting to watch the pressures, the RPM's and the HP and Torque numbers come up.
As I said earlier he is working on the 6.2 LS3 motor which is a small block 376 CI that is putting out somewhere between 430-435 hp from the factory, and he is changing the heads, the cam and the injection and getting somewhere between 600 & 800 HP.
Technology has come a LONG way!!!!!

TJones
12-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Come On Buckeyes!!!!!

bmorgil
12-29-2019, 09:08 AM
#@!$%%^ ^&%$# ((*^%%$!!!....

Dog gone it!

gmwillys
12-29-2019, 12:10 PM
No matter how much technology advances, there is little replacement for displacement.
I am rather fond of the LX 6.0 366 c.i. GM gasser. I personally put just shy of 200,000 miles on one with no issues outside of a seeping oil cooler line. If I can find a descent candidate, I may exchange the 350 out of the wagon for an upgrade of the 6.0.

Ohio has nothing to be ashamed of. Clemson is tough to beat. The wife's favorite Auburn plays Minnesota on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes.

bmorgil
12-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Well you could always "artificially" increase the displacement with a positive displacement pump like a 671 blower maybe?

gmwillys
12-29-2019, 02:33 PM
True, a 671 blower is a classic power adder. The government still uses lots of 6V and 8V Detroits, so we get to hear the blowers spool in between the buzzing of the half dozen. That would add a whole lot of fun to the build, but I think I will stick with the daily driver route.

TJones
12-29-2019, 03:13 PM
My Son in Law is a Clemson Tiger Fan and called at 12:20 this morning to rub it in a little :(:( I told him the Tigers better have their game on when they play LSU!!!!!

I thought about putting a 471 blower on mine but I didn’t want to cut a opening in the hood, I may still have to with the sniper EFI.
I guess we’ll see when I stuff it in there.

LarrBeard
12-29-2019, 04:53 PM
My Son in Law is a Clemson Tiger Fan and called at 12:20 this morning to rub it in a little

Just think how Oklahoma fans are feeling today.

okiemark
12-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Yep, I didn't think OU had a chance to win that game, but thought they could move the ball a little. Their defense has been thin all season and they had one of their best players suspended and another secondary player injured in bowl practice. Then another bonehead got ejected for targeting so a poor defense just got worse. I thought Ohio State would beat Clemson but Clemson really played some defense in the second half. I would lay my money on LSU.

okiemark
12-29-2019, 09:19 PM
I don't think it was a big shock. Very few people gave them a chance.

TJones
12-30-2019, 04:14 AM
It is sad to say but Ohio State was really playing Clemson, the SEC Refs and Vegas. There were 2 bad calls against the Buckeyes and they had no chance of winning from the start, but I will give it to them the Boys played their hearts out!!!!
I’m putting all my money on LSU against Clemson in the Tiger Bowl :):):)

okiemark
12-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Clemson can play some defense, so that gives them a chance. I just think the LSU quarterback is far and above the best, but we have seen stranger things happen.

LarrBeard
12-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Dern, we wander all over the place - from u-joints to water pumps to football!

I'm originally from Tennessee, but the Vols just play around the edges of the SEC. I never got into the Indiana football teams, Pur-who and Indy-nanner. I've always had a real likin' for The Crimson Tide and the Bayou Bengals.

It's going to be a real National Championship Game this year; Clemson defense vs. Heisman offense. Reserve a spot in front of the TV and send the women to the mall. (See how brave I am amongst the guys ... ).

TJones
12-30-2019, 11:55 AM
That's okay LarrBeard you can say whatever you want amongst the guy's as long as the women don't see it, but you are spot on about the defense and offense it will be a few beers and an edge of the seat game!!!

gmwillys
12-30-2019, 12:25 PM
My long suffering Misses is a die hard Auburn nut. She yells more at the TV, (for bad calls/run the ball/dropped passes/etc.)then anything, so I have it on in the garage so I can watch in peace.

We do skip around a bit on topics.... Keeps life interesting.

bmorgil
12-31-2019, 06:48 AM
What were we talking about?

TJones
12-31-2019, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure if it was about Jeep's or football:):):)

5JeepsAz
01-04-2020, 06:44 PM
These days I care more about Jeep's than football. It is very close. While my Jeep is not available I sit on jeep forums while watching football. Sorry, I just blurted that out. Carry on!

gmwillys
01-04-2020, 07:27 PM
We are open to just about any subject, sans religion or politics.

TJones
01-04-2020, 08:24 PM
Please guy’s let’s keep the topic on Jeeps or Football please let’s not mess a good thing up by switching to politics!!!

TJones
01-04-2020, 08:27 PM
The 3 J’s Jesus, Jeeps or Just Football!!!

okiemark
01-04-2020, 10:16 PM
I have a funny feeling a little later on the topic of fishing might come up a time or two.

TJones
01-17-2020, 02:45 PM
It’s on the Dyno!!!!5493

bmorgil
01-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Oh man, ya gotta tape the audio on the pulls!

TJones
01-17-2020, 07:15 PM
I can’t post a video unless I put it on YouTube

LarrBeard
01-18-2020, 09:22 AM
I can’t post a video unless I put it on YouTube

For a show like that, we'd even go look at a YouTube video! It's been a long time coming.

gmwillys
01-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Tjones and his bride will be riding in style when it warms up.

TJones
01-20-2020, 04:14 AM
Just like Larry said “It’s been a long time coming”!!!!

gmwillys
01-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Some projects are legacy endeavors, and some are relatively short term projects. Larrbeard's truck has sixty years in the making. Our wagon spent 15 years stored in a barn, and another 9 years only being driven around the back yard. After 6 years of on again, off again progress, it may take another 7 or 8 years to get road worthy again. That's the way it goes sometimes.

TJones
01-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Is that what you call “Labor of Love”?

bmorgil
01-20-2020, 12:34 PM
To give you an idea of the hours it takes, I worked on mine almost every day for 7 months straight. It seldom sat. Almost every day it received attention. I would say averaging 3 hours a day for over 200 days. I wasn't rushing it, but I was diligent. I wanted to get it done for the 2019 Jeep Fest. I also had to take the trans back out and change the case. There was a lot of "figuring out".

It definitely will take your time. Now a small shop would charge $70 an hour. That's a big bill for labor! I can't wait to send myself an invoice.

TJones
01-20-2020, 12:41 PM
I’d hate to think of the hours I put in mine bmorgil, mine wasn’t bad if I got off work and stayed at the shop a couple 3 hours a day but on the weekend when we didn’t work it was 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back.
Now that I have the new garage at the house it won’t be that bad to walk out back, but s^#t I’m almost done now.
Time to start another I guess!!!
God I hope the Bride doesn’t see this:):):)

gmwillys
01-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Something like a labor of love. Between averaging 60 hours a week, taking on side jobs, and other obligations, there isn't much time for my own junk.
My whole intention for today was to pull up a couple of shrubs next to the drive way, then start in on the driver's floor on the wagon. The shrubs ripped out in no time, but then there was enough roots left intact to transplant to where the trees blew down during last week's storm. There went a couple of hours digging two holes. Then the front ornamental trees looked shabby, so that needed attention. By the time that was all done, it was time to fire up the grill.

You need another project for the new shop!

okiemark
01-20-2020, 07:35 PM
I've worked pretty steady 2 to 3 hours a day for about 3 months and I am down to pretty much body and paint and wiring. The grill is the only part of the body that needs work and I have started on it. I will have to have warmer weather to do the major painting. It is amazing all the little things you never think about until you encounter them that takes up time.

TJones
02-13-2020, 06:07 PM
Put some wind back in my sails today!!!

okiemark
02-13-2020, 06:35 PM
Looks good!

gmwillys
02-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Looks too good to cover it with a body.

TJones
02-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Thanks Guys!!
But it’s getting a dress, I’ve come to far to let it run around naked:p

LarrBeard
02-13-2020, 07:50 PM
Put some wind back in my sails today!!

What is the sensor just outboard of the exhaust flange?

TJones
02-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Brake lights.
I put swing pedals on it and didn’t want it up on the firewall.
I may have to move it, the steering rod comes real close to the sensor and the headers :(

bmorgil
02-14-2020, 08:18 AM
It's growing! I see a summer ride.

TJones
02-14-2020, 03:56 PM

TJones
02-14-2020, 03:58 PM
It is getting closer to a Summer ride!!!!

TJones
02-17-2020, 06:01 AM
Had to do a little fabricating over the weekend, the 2 aluminum studs that Champion put on the bottom of the radiator to mount it weren't strong enough to secure it tight so I heliarced a piece of aluminum angle to front to bolt it to the channel that was put in by the previous owner.
And I changed the inet to a different angle bc it was to close to get the oil filter off, but it is still to close so I guess I will have to put a remote filter kit on it and mount the filter on the firewall or the fender somewhere.

bmorgil
02-17-2020, 06:54 AM
It's getting there TJ! Looking good. That is going to be one strong little CJ.

okiemark
02-17-2020, 08:48 AM
That is pretty fancy.

LarrBeard
02-17-2020, 10:07 AM
It's getting there TJ! Looking good. That is going to be one strong little CJ.a

To paraphrase Pelago, "Turn one bolt, then another and then you can't get to the next one".

TJones
02-17-2020, 02:05 PM
That's no S^%t LarrBeard, I am starting to feel that way:confused::confused:

okiemark
02-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Think of it as a journey.

TJones
02-19-2020, 03:03 PM
I got my oil filter problem solved!!
Thank God for Summit Racing.
I do believe they have everything, the only problem is they are only a couple miles from my shop which makes it to expensive.......I mean handy....or both???
They had just the remote filter kit I needed!!!!

gmwillys
02-19-2020, 07:06 PM
Sweet! Between Summit, Jegs, and Speedway Motors, if they don't have what you need you don't need it.

bmorgil
02-20-2020, 07:04 AM
It is amazing how quickly these Willys adapt to Stock Car Racing!

TJones
02-20-2020, 07:21 AM
It only took me 3 trips to Summit to get the right adapter, who would have ever guessed that a 1982 Buick V-6 would have 18mm threads on the filter adaptor verses 3/4-16 or 13/16-16???

TJones
02-24-2020, 05:51 PM
The Boy's called from the body shop and the dress is about to be fitted!!!!!

okiemark
02-24-2020, 07:52 PM
That is pretty.

gmwillys
02-24-2020, 08:29 PM
I showed the the pictures to the Long Suffering, and she fell in love with the color and the amount of metallic within. Orange is her favorite color.... Her favorite room in the house is painted Chevrolet Hugger orange.

LarrBeard
02-24-2020, 08:36 PM
That's just too pretty to be a Jeep.

It won't be allowed to go out and play in the mud any more either.

bmorgil
02-25-2020, 07:16 AM
That's just too pretty to be a Jeep.

It won't be allowed to go out and play in the mud any more either.

HAA! Join me with the "Garage Queens"! Man that looks awesome! No more mud.. No more mud..

At some point all "Great Old Things" should retire to a more leisurely, profound existence. Savored and coddled into the twilight. Otherwise we will burn out the history before it is fully enjoyed and recorded.

TJones
02-25-2020, 07:57 AM
That is for SURE GUY's NO MORE MUD............
It scares me to death thinking about how I am going to get it set on the frame without a slip:confused::confused:
The only good thing is the painter is going to give me an aerosol can of touch up paint, JIC there is a slip.
Savored and Coddled it will be Bmorgil, I like That:cool:

Trailabite
02-25-2020, 08:14 AM
The Boy's called from the body shop and the dress is about to be fitted!!!!!

Looks like sunshine!

bmorgil
02-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Tape man! cover everything in tape and heavy paper. I actually got mine on without scratching it. It got scratched after!

gmwillys
02-25-2020, 04:56 PM
That's why I would paint everything underneath the tub, then set the body on with moving blankets over every place on the frame that will make for a bad day. Then when that's all mounted paint the base coat and clear on the top side.

May have told the story before, but I had a neighbor that was a body man by trade. He was extremely good at his craft, but was by no means a mechanic. He purchased a '70 Olds 442 W30 for a rather handsome price, but didn't like the red over black stripes that was the original color. He blew it apart and sent the engine and trans off to be rebuilt, then proceeded to give the coach the full concourse restoration. He changed the color to black over white stripes, and it was epic. The only problem was that he fit all the front clip back together to include getting all the gaps right before installing the engine/trans...… He called me up to go and pick up the plant and bring it by his shop. He rolled the door up and here the car sits all together..... He's ready to slide the big block in, so I grab some tools to start to remove the hood.... He freaks out... We argue for a solid hour that the darned thing won't fit without the hood taken off at least. He keeps on, so I give in. O.K. buddy, it's your car and your way. Long story short, the big block and four speed fit but not without a lot of cussing and a small notch deformed into the hood insulation. I hit my head numerous times on the grill tooth that is affixed to the hood, and that didn't help matters. Live and learn.

TJones
02-26-2020, 05:23 AM
That’s a Great Story gm, sometimes you just need to bite your tongue and give in!!!!

That is one of the biggest reasons I powder coated the inside and the bottom side of the tub, I figured it would be little more forgiving when I go to set it on the frame. The fenders, grille and hood are all painted and can be bolted on pretty easily with one guy if he’s careful.
I guess we’ll find out shortly :rolleyes:

They wet sanded and buffed on it yesterday

TJones
02-26-2020, 05:44 AM
Bmorgil ( or whom ever has input on this subject)I meant ask yesterday but got tied up at the orfice all day, the harmonic balancer on my motor got broke unloading the motor at my shop (don’t even ask how it’s a long story and pisses me off to relive it) but Pro Car found me another one. My question is are they balanced from the factory?
We sent my whole rotating assembly out to get balanced with the one that got broke and now I have a different one, we weighed them and they are within 2 ounces of being the same, I checked the back side and they have holes drilled in them where it looks like they were both balanced at one time. Do you think it will make a difference in the balance of the the whole rotating assembly if I change to the new harmonic balancer?

bmorgil
02-26-2020, 08:47 AM
If the motor is internally balanced, the harmonic should be "neutral", Therefore it will not radically affect your balance. It is not the total weight but the location of any imbalance. It should be very close to neutral if it (the new and old harmonic dampeners) are high quality. Even on an internally balanced assembly some shops like to drill or balance the crank with everything hanging on it. This is a premium balance and is the way you do all high rpm motors. Any residual imbalance left in the flywheel and harmonic are "tuned" out in the final balance.

If it is externally balanced it is probably not going to be any more unless the harmonic that came off has the exact amount of imbalance in the exact same location as the harmonic that goes back on.

All that said this motor (if I read you right) made good power well under 5000 rpm. Unless it becomes radically imbalanced (the new harmonic is several grams off from the old one in location and/or amount of imbalance), It is still going to be much better than any factory production motor of its day. When the rpm gets up into the 6000 and higher range, the effects of imbalance become relative. Horsepower can fall off for a few reasons. The motor in general takes a harmonic beating. Cracks form. Sustained high rpm with imbalance, is a bad thing.

TJones
02-26-2020, 09:43 AM
Your the Man!!!!
The new harmonic has the imbalance in the same exact location as the old, it was just drilled in a different location than the old and I’m taking that as it needed to have weight taken off in a different location to balance it
Thanks I feel better now!!

gmwillys
02-26-2020, 12:34 PM
That made for a bad day. I would be taking a close look at the front cover for any stress cracks or seal imperfections.

bmorgil
02-26-2020, 01:08 PM
TJ since that motor is externally balanced, if you wanted to get it back to where it was when it left the balancer it can be done. For a few reasons (the main one being the crack) the old damper should not be spun, and it doesn't need to be. A good Dynamic Balancing shop can check the old damper and the new damper for the dynamic balance. They will then match the old to the new by drilling or adding heavy metal. Because your motor is externally balanced, the location and amount of the imbalance needs to be the same as the old to be perfect again. So if it had 1/2 oz of imbalance at 150 deg for instance, you want to match that same plane or 1/2 deg of imbalance at 150 deg on the new one. This can be and is done dynamically. I have had success with this on early stroker Chevy's using external balance techniques. These guy's might be able to help you. I have used them. Top notch. https://ngbalancingtechnologies.com/balancing-services-2/?gclid=CjwKCAiAy9jyBRA6EiwAeclQhMoqvUmxlsZARAAOLGK uW_OP6puHAM8MUuDONyfpfTI8U3fWBtXU8hoCnukQAvD_BwE

It is important to understand the original damper. They are manufactured to similar imbalance. I do not know the tolerance but of course they are not all exactly the same. They are similar. Because of this and the rpm ceiling of your motor, I don't expect any trouble for you. I don't want to say this but, I think you have put one heck of a lot of finesse into this baby. If it were me, I would send the dampers to a dynamic balance shop to be matched. My OCD would get the best of me. They may be already matched. I bet they are close. I am just saying... perfect is perfect. It was perfect. It can be again. It is certainly OK now.

I prefer internal balance but, you run what you brung!

TJones
02-26-2020, 09:42 PM
GM to your idea/suggestion, what actually happened was I had a employee helping me unload it from my pickup and he said " I'll help you get it unloaded" and the Oxygen Thief (one that breaths air that our Grand Kids may need one day) picked it up with the chain hoist and let it get away from him when it lifted off the bed of my pickup and it swung out (not having enough a%$ because the motor weighed 3 times what he did) and hit the workbench and broke the harmonic balancer, so I checked the timing cover and there was no damage to it or the seal THANK GOD..
Bmorgil to your idea/suggestion Pro Car sent the balancer to the guy that balanced the whole rotating assembly today and they ran it like you said, (mine actually came out of a Grand National motor and the guy that had the parts has a warehouse full of Grand National motors and parts) which I had no idea they could do it by itself and they called and said it would make the motor a tiny bit better or equal to what it was when they did the whole assembly 3 .5 weeks ago!!!
Thanks Guys, I really thought the whole motor had to come apart AGAIN........

gmwillys
02-27-2020, 05:00 AM
Grand National parts were good parts from the start. In it's day, those engines were out performing almost all v-8 numbers. Granted the V-8 numbers were smogged down to be pretty anemic. A 454 BBC was rated at under 200HP during that time frame.

bmorgil
02-27-2020, 07:11 AM
Fantastic news from Procar!! I like the way they operate.

No doubt the GNat motors had potential. I have seen them take tremendous boost pressure and keep on pumping. Strong base for a high performance V6. Literally a stroked 231. That Jeep should do very well!

TJones
02-27-2020, 08:26 AM
I tell you what bmorgil I feel a hell of a lot better now and yes the GN's had a lot of potential in there day, I know Kenny Belle in Michigan played around with them a lot and got outstanding results from them years ago.

TJones
02-29-2020, 10:12 AM
On to my next dilemma, I sent my power steering pump to MN via Rock Auto to get rebuilt and they emailed me telling me that my "Lares #2771" pump could not be rebuilt but a "Lares #2017" pump would fit in my reservoir, low and behold it fit but the nose of the pump was to long to fit in the bracket I had.
So I am thinking now I will switch to a teardrop ( new style ) power steering pump and bracket. I called Summit to see what would fit, and you know the first thing they ask is "What are we working on today" and you have to say a 1952 CJ-3A Jeep:rolleyes: with a Buick V-6
All I am wanting to know is what bracket fits a 82-88 Buick V-6 either a 225,231, or a 252CI motor and Summit tells me they don't have anything that will fit it. Some forums say a 350 Buick V-8 will bolt up to it and some guy's say it wont, getting pretty frustrated at this point.
I even tried telling Summit to look up a 1987 Buick Grand National with a 231 and they still couldn't find anything that would work.
Any Ideas Guy's????

bmorgil
02-29-2020, 01:01 PM
TJ, typically I try to use the "Type II" pump. I am not sure what you are using. On most of the engine swaps to a more hi-performance environment, the type II will mount about anywhere. You will need to mount a remote tank and make some hoses. I have this set up down low on the drivers side of the block, on the ones I have used. I wouldn't be surprised if Speedway doesn't have a nearly bolt on for that motor. This should bolt on. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-Steering-Pump-Combo-8-AN-Fittings,2072.html Google "type II power steering pump conversions" and you will find more.

These help to stuff an air conditioned power everything Chevy small block, into an S10 or a Rat into a Firebird! I have seen it used and have used this type in everything from Drag Race cars to Off road and Oval Track Racing. Might work in your Jeep.

TJones
03-01-2020, 05:51 PM
After an hour and a half at Summit the guy behind the counter got me fixed up with a 1972 Cadillac Seville "Type II" pump that worked with the bracket I already had, what a relief!!!!!

I had to shim it a little with spacers to get the alignment right, but it came out pretty sweet.

Now I need to get the right hose's and fittings to the steering box.

Thanks Bmorgil for your professional advice!!!!

bmorgil
03-01-2020, 07:32 PM
It is getting closer man!

okiemark
03-01-2020, 08:13 PM
There's always something that will work if you can find someone who cares enough to help.

TJones
03-03-2020, 07:07 AM

And now the fun begins!!!!

bmorgil
03-03-2020, 08:43 AM
And the Misses thought you were spending all your time on it before! I think you should sleep.

TJones
03-03-2020, 09:33 AM
I have to get plates for it soon and she said"Why don't you get a plate that says MY NEW BRIDE" and I said why???
She said you spend more time on that F*&$%ing Jeep that you spend with me:p:rolleyes:

bmorgil
03-03-2020, 09:56 AM
This is why we heat our garage.

okiemark
03-03-2020, 09:59 AM
But Honey, this will be lots of fun for both of us!

gmwillys
03-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Hence is why my bride is commonly known as the Long Suffering Misses.

LarrBeard
03-03-2020, 06:10 PM
But she knows where you are and who is hanging out with you. You could be at some gin mill somewhere with disreputable characters ...

(See if that line works for you.)

bmorgil
03-03-2020, 06:23 PM
You could be at some gin mill somewhere with disreputable characters ...

I thought that was why we were getting together in Alabama at gm's ranch?

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:22 PM
I would be up for that bmorgil, maybe swing by IN pick up Larry then hit the east coast and pick Ira up on the way.
I’ll get Pro Cars truck and trailer and take all 4 to Alabama!!!

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 05:23 PM
I am in!!!!!

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:38 PM
Ira???
Larry??
Let me get some measurements on his enclosed race trailer, it might very easily fit 3 and a pickup:cool:

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:45 PM

It may

TJones
03-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Another

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 07:01 PM
The CJ3A is tiny. It might go in sideways!

CJ3A - 130" x 59"

M38A1 - 139" x 61"

Ham's '48 - 184" x 74" X 75" tall

A little room for shaking and these are the rough numbers. I will bring a portable grill. I can cook. Ira and Larry can hunt. You drive an' we will be in 'Bama in no time. Roll Tide!

Keep pushing TJ, we might get the other two in via shame. We see you GM!

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a plan to me.

The Long Suffering does know where I am.....most of the time.

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 07:23 PM
This is going to become reality if your not careful!

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 07:26 PM
You all are welcome at any time, in any quantity.

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Be careful, if it ever stops raining, I'll be putting on the roof on the garage extension.... I have several hammers with only one nail driver. LarrBeard and Ira will be designated supervisors and story tellers.

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 07:40 PM
Manual hammers, like with a handle? I'll bring mine. It needs 100 psi and a long hose. It has a pistol grip more inclined to shooters. I've got money that roof goes on so fast we have time for hunting. Two nail drivers and we are moving!

TJones
03-04-2020, 07:48 PM
The CJ3A is tiny. It might go in sideways!

CJ3A - 130" x 59"

M38A1 - 139" x 61"

Ham's '48 - 184" x 74" X 75" tall

A little room for shaking and these are the rough numbers. I will bring a portable grill. I can cook. Ira and Larry can hunt. You drive an' we will be in 'Bama in no time. Roll Tide!

Keep pushing TJ, we might get the other two in via shame. We see you GM!

Mine a 3A to with a cage, it’s tall.
Let me get some measurements!!!

TJones
03-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Got Beer gm?:p:p

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Beer, ammo and fire.

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 08:12 PM
All of us in one place, and a few drinks... That will be interesting to say the least! We have beer.

A piece of advice, we don't worship Satan... I mean little Nick Saban here. The Long Suffering is a through and through Auburn fan.

gmwillys
03-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Ammo, check. Beer, check. Fire, enough used oil and two stroke gas to make anything burn.

bmorgil
03-04-2020, 08:47 PM
we don't worship Satan... I mean little Nick Saban here. The Long Suffering is a through and through Auburn fan.

Hahaha! you have to understand that! Those teams don't hate each other do they? Is the Iron Bowl really a big deal? Definitely!

Lets see, 11/30/2019 Auburn 48, Tide 45 so today the champ is... In the end there is a loser, except in the 1907 Auburn vs Alabama game that ended in a tie, in the red mud 6 to 6. Auburn was the heavy favorite but, Alabama was wallowing in the "tide of red mud" as a reporter stated it. They were able to hold it to a tie. Hence the phrase roll tide. So you can tell the misses up north we understand it means they roll in the mud well.

TJones
03-07-2020, 05:42 AM
Got my exhaust all tacked together to get it tig welded after I get my mufflers on Tuesday!!!!

bmorgil
03-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Just plain sexy!

TJones
03-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Going down to Pro Car today to get some measurements on his trailer :cool:

bmorgil
03-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Only gm, you and I have stepped in the water so far. Larry, Ira..... The train is preparing to leave for the GMWILLYS RANCH USA! Lets see There are 2900+ members. 61 of us are "Active". We should expect a gathering of at least 500. It's not Woodstock, but its a start! We need an official date. There's a Jamboree in Cullman Alabama September 10th through the 11th.

And in the obituary's the next day... A man known only as "gmwillys" was accidentally bumped off by a woman known only as "The Long Suffering" as hundreds of Jeeps invaded her land.

TJones
03-07-2020, 08:22 AM
May as well make it a Bang Up 2 day's, we may not be invited back:):)
Poor Ira and the Gout.....Hope the Ole Boy gets to feeling better soon.

Back to Summit today, I forgot I have to get a 18mm x 1.5 weld in bung for the oxygen sensor for my Sniper EFI.
Damn I'm glad it's only a couple miles from the shop.

LarrBeard
03-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Got my exhaust all tacked together to get it tig welded after I get my mufflers on Tuesday!!!!

How are you going to support that long piece of tailpipe?

LarrBeard
03-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Only gm, you and I have stepped in the water so far. Larry, Ira..... The train is preparing to leave for the GMWILLYS RANCH USA! Lets see There are 2900+ members. 61 of us are "Active". We should expect a gathering of at least 500. It's not Woodstock, but its a start! We need an official date. There's a Jamboree in Cullman Alabama September 10th through the 11th.

And in the obituary's the next day... A man known only as "gmwillys" was accidentally bumped off by a woman known only as "The Long Suffering" as hundreds of Jeeps invaded her land.

Well, I stuck my toe in the water checking out the possibility of a "Three Old Coots Jeep Tour" and wow - was that water chilly!!! Sometimes a man just has to know where the limitations are.

bmorgil
03-07-2020, 09:19 AM
How does a man "know" Larry? Only failure teaches adroitness!

TJones
03-07-2020, 10:24 AM
How are you going to support that long piece of tailpipe?

Larry I am going to cut a section out for my mufflers when they come then I am making a hanger from the end of the tail pipe to mount right up to the body mount bolt .

TJones
03-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Like this

LarrBeard
03-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Oh, Yeah. I just saw that long piece of pipe cantilevered out there and I wondered where you were going to put a skyhook to keep it secure.

gmwillys
03-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Love the exhaust with the side dumps! They will sound great with the mufflers.

The Long Suffering will be just fine with all my friends showing up.....

TJones
03-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Time to send everything out to get Tig Welded and dipped!!!!!]

TJones
03-10-2020, 07:21 AM
Time to move the Ole girl to the house and get her dress fitted5693 on her so we can send it over to my Buddys to get it wired, damn she's getting closer and closer!!!!

bmorgil
03-10-2020, 11:48 AM
What a look! Once the body goes on it will be hard to stop.

gmwillys
03-10-2020, 04:36 PM
I'd move it pretty quick so the minions don't decide to take it for a rip without you.

TJones
03-10-2020, 05:37 PM
OMG that would be a terribly bad mistake, that’s why I want to bring it to the house so they don’t drop a wrench on it or spill coffee or something stupid like minions tend to do.

gmwillys
03-11-2020, 03:40 AM
You would not be a happy camper if you walked in and found a box of excavator cutting edge teeth or the like sitting on the freshly painted cowl or fenders. Too many flat surfaces to resist the temptation to set something on. When our '46 was in the garage, I would find items deposited by my dear clutter pilot on the hood or fenders. When I had the doors off of the wagon body, I would constantly have to put items away that were set within..... Now she can't reach the flat surfaces to pile items on.

TJones
03-11-2020, 03:47 AM
My your up early Buddy
And your right there, we have a picnic table right inside the door at the shop and it doesn’t matter what it is in their hands that’s where it ends up!!!!
That’s my job on the weekends, clean the table off bc they are to lazy to walk 12 steps to put it in the tool crib where it belongs. It’s much closer to set it on the picnic table and walk 9 steps to the time sheet box and get their paychecks.

bmorgil
03-11-2020, 05:58 AM
Haha! I have to enjoy the fact that you and I feel the same paranoia. It almost like you get all jumpy as soon as you roll it out. Bird poop, stone drive way, rain and the worst, out of no where road resurfacing. Then you get the first blemish. It gets a little better. Now you might take it out of the garage.

I can tell you it is great when they finally roll out on their own TJ! I love a parade!

gm you are right on, on the flat surfaces. What is it about some, that any flat surface is there to set things on?

gmwillys
03-11-2020, 09:31 AM
People are inherently lazy. I am the broom master both at work and at the rust ranch, and do like to keep things half way tidy around the shop. With the new garage addition/storage room, there will a ton more shelves put in..... But still there will be junk set on the workbench, heep, or fridge.

bmorgil
03-11-2020, 09:35 AM
I had a method. I would take items that were left on flat surfaces and place them on the offenders bed. I got tired of putting things on their bed.

LarrBeard
03-11-2020, 12:54 PM
I had a method. I would take items that were left on flat surfaces and place them on the offenders bed. I got tired of putting things on their bed.

The Navy had (or had..) a term for things not put in their right place, "Gear Adrift". Each shop had an area that they were responsible for keeping clean and shipshape. But, as in the cases noted, things tended to drift into places they didn't belong. For whatever reason, you would find an inch-and-a-half wrench laying at the base of the radar antenna. No, there wasn't a bolt that size anywhere on that antenna base.

Things like that just went into the trading bin. The radio guys never needed a grease gun, but there were times when bargains could be made to benefit those who had and those who had lost.

(As for putting things on the offender's bed - try hiding their Walkman under that pile of clean clothes they were supposed to put away..).

gmwillys
03-11-2020, 03:22 PM
I have a collection of tools under my desk. One of these days they are either going to ask where their tools are going, or they will no longer be able to borrow from the ones who manage their assets. More then likely I will run out of room for my feet.

okiemark
03-11-2020, 09:30 PM
I have no one to blame but myself.

TJones
03-12-2020, 06:32 AM
FINALLY......Got her home and now the fun begins:confused::rolleyes:
The Bride will be hard pressed to get me to come in the house this weekend, unless of course I run out of beer in my fridge:D

LarrBeard
03-12-2020, 07:01 AM
Have you run the engine on the frame yet? This would be a good time to find the last little issue before you get all of her good clothes on.