PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

bmorgil
08-24-2020, 06:32 AM
Wow... to the right guy, lots of parts there for at least two different vehicles. The Jeepster looks to be pretty complete and original. Two different projects there. A parts sale and a nice base for a restore. I see some big asking prices for restored ones but, no sales. You should read this first. All said, totally cool!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/willys-jeepster-values-arent-keeping-pace/

LarrBeard
08-24-2020, 07:42 AM
I would go up to $5,000 with all the extra parts. Looks solid from the photos.

Then drive it by the neighbor's house.... Every day.

I'd maybe go $6K - it looks like the metal is good - at least not any corners knocked off from hitting the garage. It does have the 6-cylinder engine and with the overdrive, it should be fairly peppy on the road. The convertible frame seems pretty good as well - that's a hard item to replace if it's missing.

Are you really thinking about it?

gmwillys
08-24-2020, 09:04 AM
Your Bride needs the Jeepster. His and hers, with just enough custom touches to make it unique. I like the original looking black exterior, but a matching orange sunburst metallic would be good as well.

TJones
08-24-2020, 01:31 PM
Wow... to the right guy, lots of parts there for at least two different vehicles. The Jeepster looks to be pretty complete and original. Two different projects there. A parts sale and a nice base for a restore. I see some big asking prices for restored ones but, no sales. You should read this first. All said, totally cool!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/willys-jeepster-values-arent-keeping-pace/

That was a excellent article Bob, uuuhhhmmm i think I will pass even though it looks fairly decent to start out with and I did see it was pretty complete and doesn't look like it would be a lot (not 3.5 years worth) but I will keep a eye on the auction. I guess the only thing handy is where the auctions at, it is only 35 minutes SE of me which if it goes cheap it isn't that big of a deal to go pick up and store it until I get enough gumpsion to finish it.

TJones
08-24-2020, 01:38 PM
I'd maybe go $6K - it looks like the metal is good - at least not any corners knocked off from hitting the garage. It does have the 6-cylinder engine and with the overdrive, it should be fairly peppy on the road. The convertible frame seems pretty good as well - that's a hard item to replace if it's missing.

Are you really thinking about it?

Larry I was kind of thinking about it but I do have my heart set on an ole pickup like yours, the Jeepster I would want to change a lot of it which would make it a 3.5 year to 5 year project and I am not really ready for that yet.
Chris at Pro-Car has a motor at the shop he wants to put a blower on and he said he would work with me if I found a car or truck to put it in, and I am thinking of a ole Jeep pickup if I can find the right one.
I want to tub the bed and put some big meats on it with a automatic but make it nice.
Soooo I am still looking around.

TJones
08-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Your Bride needs the Jeepster. His and hers, with just enough custom touches to make it unique. I like the original looking black exterior, but a matching orange sunburst metallic would be good as well.

Yes Sir Black it will be whatever project I get into (all the company trucks are black including my Dodge pickup and the Brides Dodge Journey), as far as the Bride goes she told me to look up "Fat Chance" in the Webster Dictionary bc that is what the possibilities and or chances will be to see her driving or even riding around in that, but if I wanted to get it to tinker with have right at it:):)

Sometimes I just think they do not understand our madness.........

gmwillys
08-24-2020, 02:32 PM
If it goes cheap, buy it anyway and still drive it by the neighbors house and honk the horn repeatedly. Wait, that would be something I would do.... Don't be like me.

Black is a classic color, and goes with everything. If you get a truck like LarrBeard, and Bmorgil finds one too, Lord help us all...

bmorgil
08-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Hmmm.... though a Jeepster with a blown LS..... It has a stout enough axle if its a 44..... the frame is strong...... fab up a cute little roll cage..... It should spin the wheels.

TJones
08-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Hmmm.... though a Jeepster with a blown LS..... It has a stout enough axle if its a 44..... the frame is strong...... fab up a cute little roll cage..... It should spin the wheels.

Bob I think they did come with a 44 and 4.88 gears that would be perfect for smokin the tires:cool:, but it would look a lot better with the smoke rolling out from under a Old Willys Pickup!!!
If it does go cheap ( it's on for a couple more days) I may grab it up just to get it running and then sell it.

I think I will let the powder coater I used try his luck on the body of something with the wet black he did all my frame and running gears in, it seemed to be a little more consistent as far as matching went.
The orange had to much metal flake in it along with the clear he put on top of the orange to be consistent as far as matching.

TJones
08-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Well when they say you snooze you lose...........
I had to drive dump truck this morning and the Jeepster sold for $2,000 online:mad::mad::mad:
I put a maxi bid at $1,800 last night before bed and came to work at 5 and was delivering topsoil today and it sold for 2K before I got back to check.....DAMN
Oh Well I will keep lookin:cool:

bmorgil
08-27-2020, 12:37 PM
Yikes!!!!!

5JeepsAz
08-27-2020, 01:10 PM
Bummer. Another door (hopefully they free) may open

gmwillys
08-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Now the search begins for a truck!

TJones
08-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Tell me a little about the Willy’s Americar Ole Wise Ones:D
We’re they made by Willy’s Overland?

bmorgil
08-27-2020, 04:45 PM
Yes they were made by Willys-Overland Motors. I think 1937 to 1942. The Willys shot at a car with a top and windows. They make super cool gassers.

LarrBeard
08-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Tell me a little about the Willy’s Americar Ole Wise Ones:D
We’re they made by Willy’s Overland?

They were of fairly limited production and as I have read, you had to have a real need to be able to buy one after December 1941 - there was a war on you know. Doctors, certain local government officials, etc.

TJones
08-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Got some pictures of the carpet install tonight
Get to pick her up tomorrow, I think I’m getting separation anxiety way worse than I did from the X when I came home drunk one night and beat on the door and she said ”drunk again” and I said me too open the damn door and that’s when she left:D:D

bmorgil
08-28-2020, 06:23 AM
A show stopper man!

So the story about the X, is that a true story or a country and western song?

TJones
08-28-2020, 06:36 AM
A show stopper man!

So the story about the X, is that a true story or a country and western song?

No Bob that’s a true story of me in my wilder days, I didn’t care about anything but work and partying and not necessarily in that order.
But that was forty some years ago!!!
Thank God for Grace.

bmorgil
08-28-2020, 07:04 AM
And your 'Mea Culpa" is now officially recorded in history, right here on the KW forum!

TJones
08-28-2020, 08:45 AM
My Bad:cool::confused:
That may have been a Blessing in disguise!!!

gmwillys
08-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Is it bad that I just made a drink before reading this? Nope, I think I need several more.

The carpet looks great!

TJones
08-28-2020, 07:25 PM
I’m thinking I need to get some pictures in to AmyB b4 I run out of time. I picked the Ole Girl up tonight and she’s all dressed up with no place to go.

5JeepsAz
08-28-2020, 07:37 PM
Willys Americar - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_Americar

The Willys Americar was a line of automobiles produced by Willys-Overland Motors from 1937 to 1942, either as a sedan, coupe, station wagon or pickup truck. The coupe version is a very popular hot rod choice, either as a donor car or as a fiberglass mode

TJones
08-30-2020, 06:17 AM
Can't wait till we can go to some car shows now that I got her back from the upholstery shop with the new carpet, tonneau cover and bimini top.

bmorgil
08-30-2020, 06:25 AM
Just plain awesome TJ! And a sweet motor hiding under the hood. Ready for the shows and parades for sure. Now what are you going to do with your spare time?

TJones
08-30-2020, 06:41 AM
Just plain awesome TJ! And a sweet motor hiding under the hood. Ready for the shows and parades for sure. Now what are you going to do with your spare time?

Thanks Bob, I have the R. Front fender and hood off today and the body shop is going to paint the underside of the hood because it was just powdercoated and Greg the painter didn't like the way it looked and the fender must of got dropped at the body shop because it has a big star in the paint on the top of it and he didn't like that either so they are going to repaint them both.
And on another little hiccup, the Sniper is acting up for some reason. All of a sudden last weekend it started missing bad at 2,500 RPM when you go to shift into 3rd gear so I took it to Pro Car and Chris put it on his laptop and it has a injector that isn't working so he is going to call Holley and maybe send it back and have them go through it.
I guess they have been having problems with the Snipers, mostly with the ignition messing with the computer and the timing.
What ever it is Holley will make it right even if they have to send us a new one, I hate that we may have to go back to the Ole Reliable and put a carburetor on it that would be a lot of replumbing of the fuel lines,fuel pump regulator and a whole bunch of other stuff that is going to be a B^$_h to do with it all put together.
So I guess we'll see what they say.

LarrBeard
08-30-2020, 07:41 AM
And just to think - we knew her back in April '18 when she was just a bare chassis on some work stands.

Great Job!!!!

bmorgil
08-30-2020, 07:50 AM
Labors of love Larry! Wow time flies.

TJ, I have see some timing problems with an FI tech setup that needed to be tweaked when running with various other electronics. In the end injection is sweet.

okiemark
08-30-2020, 09:07 AM
That is a beauty! Great job!

TJones
08-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Thanks Guys
We really need to plan something in the near future to meet up somewhere and grab a burger and or a beer!!

gmwillys
08-30-2020, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I have about four hours of work to having our 2A back on the road....sans new tires. Ugh. This thing will never be done. It will be good enough to go to Dairy Queen or the grocery store for now.

TJones
08-31-2020, 06:57 AM
I knew if I was patient enough I would find what I've been looking for!!!!!
A 47 pickup 45 minutes south of me..........

bmorgil
08-31-2020, 07:16 AM
Wow what a find! Super clean. Big time patina candidate. I don't think I would be able to alter it. It looks complete for a great restore project. It looks like someone already has it in great shape.

TJones
08-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Here is what the add read

Seller's description
Willys Overland 2 Wheel Drive 1 Ton Pickup
Go Devil 4 cyl 3 on the tree
No rust at all. Everything rebuilt. 12 volt conversion.
New tires brakes. Runs and drives great.
Also have extra bucket seats and old 6 volt components.
Fun Truck clear coated to keep original patina.

gmwillys
08-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Great find! You know what I think about the paint. If it pans out, Bmorgil will have to get him one! The three Amigos.

bmorgil
08-31-2020, 12:02 PM
Man that would be a tough act to follow! That is a pretty nice truck.

TJones
08-31-2020, 01:03 PM
He just sent some more pictures

TJones
08-31-2020, 01:10 PM
Here we go, it is pretty clean!!!

LarrBeard
08-31-2020, 03:06 PM
OMG ----- IT'S A 2WD!!!!!

There is some rebuilding up front around the radiator and a different air cleaner, but it has the two piece "C'mere Dear" front seat, the push button doors and the special factory option cigar lighter on the passenger side of the dash. Of course, it has the square instrument panel and I'd bet it also has the engine turned speedometer and gauge bezel.

There are no steps between the cab and back fender - that might be a '47 vs. '48 difference and the '48 does not have the three decorative indentations between the cab and rear fender on the bed side.

Tunisian Red Baby! We'd drive Morgil absolutely nuts!!!

"

gmwillys
08-31-2020, 03:25 PM
Very nice indeed! Very little to make it correct, all in all. Save the V-8 swap for something a little more ragged though. This one is too nice to perform a transplant. The Sailor Jerry bottle for an overflow is a nice touch.

bmorgil
08-31-2020, 03:32 PM
I have to say the overflow bottle sold it. A two wheel drive..... damn. The man has a little humor in his work. I want it. I can't have it however. That one is out of my price range.

5JeepsAz
09-01-2020, 01:04 AM
Your build is C-L-E-A-N ...

What color is that?

Love it

TJones
09-01-2020, 06:31 AM
I am like you guy's the Yukon Jack overflow is Great!!!!!

TJones
09-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Here’s a pretty decent wagon

TJones
09-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Here’s what it says on the ad

gmwillys
09-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Now that is just screaming for a blown big block. Wagon guy approved!

bmorgil
09-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Get going that has Rat Rod written all over it. Larry will take the spare axle off your hands. Slip a Mark Williams or a Moser axle in there and that baby is all set.

gmwillys
09-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Rat Rod material for cheap...

http://www.ewillys.com/2020/09/03/willys-wagons-kingston-tn-2000/

TJones
09-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Anybody looking for a Hot Rod Harley???
Got 1 for sale, the Bride says I need to sell a toy before I buy another project:(:rolleyes:

okiemark
09-06-2020, 08:35 PM
A hot rod Harley might cause a divorce at my house.

TJones
01-14-2021, 09:33 AM
Well I am back, I guess I have a lot of catchin up to do.
Been absent due to the Bride came down with COVID around Thanksgiving and I have been concentrating on getting her back on her feet.
She seems to have rounded the corner here in the last couple weeks and starting to make headway to a complete recovery but it was damn scary there for a month or so.

bmorgil
01-14-2021, 10:18 AM
It is a bad thing TJ. Keep and eye on her for sure.

gmwillys
01-14-2021, 12:48 PM
Welcome back! We all will wish your Bride the best in her recovery, and a prayer for you for holding things together.

LarrBeard
01-14-2021, 01:59 PM
Well I am back, I guess I have a lot of catchin up to do. Been absent due to the Bride came down with COVID around Thanksgiving

Well, it has been really quiet around here the last month or so - I think the biggest head scratcher was about self-parking windshield wipers.

I'm glad your wife is getting better, it's not anything to be casual about - especially for us older folks.

when the weather breaks, we've got to figure out when to go to Findlay for lunch.

5JeepsAz
01-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Glad she is on the mend. Scary business it is. Yeah so my truck has been in the shop the whole time so i spent time in here following the virtual willy's thread. Andre over there built a hell of a deal. Very uplifting!

TJones
01-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Thanks Guys.
All I can do is Thank God it came out like it did.
Of all the people I’ve been around she was the most careful and low and behold she got it.
She was sooooo concerned bc we watch after her 83 yo Mom and her 89 yo Dad and she damn sure didn’t want them to get it.
We got through it and nobody else got it yet, I can’t wait till we can get back to normal if that’s even possible with all the other S#}t that’s going on in this country.

5JeepsAz
01-15-2021, 08:55 PM
That's why we come here to visit with you on your thread. Because in some strange way resto world, once the cause of consternation and confusion, has by comparison with the real world become a place of sanctity and safety. I'm just glad she's okay and that you are back. Nobody is posting anyway. Glued to the boob tube. Which reminds me. We used to know it was a boob tube. Anyways...

bmorgil
01-16-2021, 08:03 AM
This is a great place to visit.

TJones
01-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Damn I wish it wasn't so cold here in Ohio, I would take the Ole Girl out for a joy ride but I'd probably freeze what little fanny I have off:(:(:(

gmwillys
01-23-2021, 01:02 PM
Being cold is only is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. That's easy to say living down here, but my last address was in the far north where it would get down to -40 actual air temp. We rode Harley's on new years day if the roads were clear, and when it snowed we rode out to go bar hopping on the sleds. Maybe alcohol helped to tolerate the temps.

LarrBeard
01-23-2021, 01:26 PM
Today was as good a day as we are going to get for the next week, so I went out and coaxed the Old Beast to life. As you can see from the picture, it was deep in hibernation, but you gotta' do what you've gotta' do. Go ahead, poke the bear.

It's easier to pull off several smaller covers than one big cover - that's why all the cloths on things.

I used the standard cold-weather start protocol; a slug of starting fluid down the carb throat, with ignition off - crank it through 8-cylinders full choked (two full engine turn-overs) then hit the ignition.

RUMP - RUMP-Rump...RUMP, about a dozen cylinders and then a splutter. Back to Rump, rump, rump - a bit faster - then another splutter that keeps up for a couple of revolutions. Finally -rump, rump, splutter chug, chug, chug.. jockey the choke to keep it going.

YAY!!! Success. It Lives! The ammeter immediately goes to full charge - I drew a slug of energy out of the 6-volt battery to get things going. After about a minute, I ease the choke back in to let it run at a fast idle. I sit for a bit, look around the engine compartment - nothing leaking or sounding funny. That one lifter does clatter when it's cold, but it does that for about 30-minutes even in summer time.

I set the oven timer to run for 20 minutes and then go check on things. She's just running along nicely. The exhaust has cleaned up - no condensation, so the muffler and pipes have warmed up. I check the top of the radiator tank - warm, so the thermostat has opened. I crawl back in and look at the gauges. Oil is where it should be (45 PSI, but actually 30), Temp is exactly on 160 and the ammeter has centered at about a half-needle above center 0, so the battery is topped off. I flick the headlights on and off and note that the ammeter swings back and forth as the regulator corrects for the added load. Finally, I turn on the heater, lots of warm air. Even on a day like today I would have to crack open the driver's window to regulate the heat. That's the up side to having a truck.

So, everything is OK and it's time to shut down, put the covers back on and wait for the March thaw.

Goodnight Gracie ...

TJones
01-23-2021, 02:57 PM
Being cold is only is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. That's easy to say living down here, but my last address was in the far north where it would get down to -40 actual air temp. We rode Harley's on new years day if the roads were clear, and when it snowed we rode out to go bar hopping on the sleds. Maybe alcohol helped to tolerate the temps.

Your a better man than me GM, I wont ride my bike unless it's at least 70-75 outside temp.

TJones
01-23-2021, 03:05 PM
Today was as good a day as we are going to get for the next week, so I went out and coaxed the Old Beast to life. As you can see from the picture, it was deep in hibernation, but you gotta' do what you've gotta' do. Go ahead, poke the bear.

It's easier to pull off several smaller covers than one big cover - that's why all the cloths on things.

I used the standard cold-weather start protocol; a slug of starting fluid down the carb throat, with ignition off - crank it through 8-cylinders full choked (two full engine turn-overs) then hit the ignition.

RUMP - RUMP-Rump...RUMP, about a dozen cylinders and then a splutter. Back to Rump, rump, rump - a bit faster - then another splutter that keeps up for a couple of revolutions. Finally -rump, rump, splutter chug, chug, chug.. jockey the choke to keep it going.

YAY!!! Success. It Lives! The ammeter immediately goes to full charge - I drew a slug of energy out of the 6-volt battery to get things going. After about a minute, I ease the choke back in to let it run at a fast idle. I sit for a bit, look around the engine compartment - nothing leaking or sounding funny. That one lifter does clatter when it's cold, but it does that for about 30-minutes even in summer time.

I set the oven timer to run for 20 minutes and then go check on things. She's just running along nicely. The exhaust has cleaned up - no condensation, so the muffler and pipes have warmed up. I check the top of the radiator tank - warm, so the thermostat has opened. I crawl back in and look at the gauges. Oil is where it should be (45 PSI, but actually 30), Temp is exactly on 160 and the ammeter has centered at about a half-needle above center 0, so the battery is topped off. I flick the headlights on and off and note that the ammeter swings back and forth as the regulator corrects for the added load. Finally, I turn on the heater, lots of warm air. Even on a day like today I would have to crack open the driver's window to regulate the heat. That's the up side to having a truck.

So, everything is OK and it's time to shut down, put the covers back on and wait for the March thaw.

Goodnight Gracie ...

Now you did it Larry I'm going to have to head out to the Garage-Ma-Hall and check on my Baby, I have the furnace set on 55 so it should fire right up.
I will back her out and let her purr for a half hour or so.
Unlike yours the heater doesn't work for S)*T:):)
These Ole bones can't hardly take this cold weather anymore, must of been used to much when I was young and dumb and full of...................... doing stupid S&^T...........

5JeepsAz
01-23-2021, 03:56 PM
Wot?!? That was perhaps the single greatest start up in history. And you shut her down until March? My god man! Take the spin! Take the spin!!!

LarrBeard
01-23-2021, 04:05 PM
Wot?!? That was perhaps the single greatest start up in history. And you shut her down until March? My god man! Take the spin! Take the spin!!!

I really thought about it, but the main reason I decided not to was that when I came back from the last spin, I was piddling from the general area of the pinion bearing shaft at the front of the differential. I want to pull that pinon cover and see what's happening.

It will happen in March!

LarrBeard
01-23-2021, 04:06 PM
"I was young and dumb and full of......................"

"I was young, dumb and full of >>>>> and wanting to go to WestPac" was the saying from the 1960's Navy guys...

bmorgil
01-23-2021, 04:54 PM
Larry what the heck is up with the pinon leak? Man that axle does not want to stay dry.

I have mine on the TJ plan, heated garage. It's 65 in there and 14 outside. peeJ is all snug. Spoiled little Jeep.

5JeepsAz
01-23-2021, 08:27 PM
I am of the unfailing belief that whenever I get her back, currently all stop due to covid outbreak, my truck is going to run perfectly for one year. She will be about done with the resto. Need to put a couple locks on the topper and a pair of fog lights, but the major stuff is in place at least. So she's going daily driver immediately. Should work perfectly! Just has to be... !!

TJones
01-24-2021, 06:12 AM
"I was young and dumb and full of......................"

"I was young, dumb and full of >>>>> and wanting to go to WestPac" was the saying from the 1960's Navy guys...

:cool::cool::p:p

bmorgil
01-24-2021, 06:54 AM
Az that baby is going to come out sweet. What could go wrong that you can't fix, get fixed, have fun fixing or enjoy living with? It's just plain all good.

TJ, I am currently old, bold and full of mold!

TJones
01-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Az that baby is going to come out sweet. What could go wrong that you can't fix, get fixed, have fun fixing or enjoy living with? It's just plain all good.

TJ, I am currently old, bold and full of mold!

Bob you forgot COLD:D

bmorgil
01-24-2021, 08:54 AM
Can't say that, Az will pipe up about sunshine on his shoulder making him happy.

LarrBeard
01-24-2021, 10:37 AM
Larry what the heck is up with the pinon leak? Man that axle does not want to stay dry.

I have mine on the TJ plan, heated garage. It's 65 in there and 14 outside. peeJ is all snug. Spoiled little Jeep.

Hey, peeJ worked hard in his first life, he deserves to be spoiled now. The truck still wants to go out and play in the mud and snow, but I say NO - you make too big a mess!!

That Timken rear end is a totally different beast than the Danas. There is no internal oil seal around the shaft. It sits in a bearing set, mounts into the casting and pokes out into the world. There is a paper gasket set, then a bowl shaped cover that mounts to the casting with maybe a half-dozen bolts.

The only seal in there looks like a felt donut seal (it may be rubber, I haven't pulled it down yet - that will be a March project). I had at least one bad seal from the rebuild already and I wonder if it got replaced or if the guy just put the old one back in. AT least I can get to it from the outside of the differential, drop the drive shaft and pull a flange. Of course that flange is going to be tapered with a Woodruff key...

Of course no one in the world has any idea what a WO P/N 644284 Oil Seal, bearing would be.

5JeepsAz
01-24-2021, 01:27 PM
Be consoled, we are hard boiled against cold, as was foretold, yet for the manifold marigolds , we remain on patrol!

TJones
02-21-2021, 09:44 AM
I may have found my next project guy's on Market Place!!!!!
They want to trade for something else fun, I'm hoping it's a Harley:cool:

5JeepsAz
02-21-2021, 12:06 PM
Oh boy. Here we go... So, whatcha like about this new one?

bmorgil
02-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Oh boy what a candidate for a stroked LS! Just kidding. That baby is clean man. It looks all done.

TJones
02-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Might have to leave this one stock and just clean her up a little and change the color.

gmwillys
02-22-2021, 03:32 AM
What's wrong with the color? After a while, the color will grow on you. In Highschool, we called my wagon the aquarium.

I like it though. I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

5JeepsAz
02-22-2021, 07:53 PM
He said he'll just leave it like he found it... This I gotta see

bmorgil
02-23-2021, 06:44 AM
I think that means he's going to keep the hood ornament stock.

LarrBeard
02-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Might have to leave this one stock and just clean her up a little and change the color.

After the paint job you did on "The Orange Crush", I want to see what you come up with this time. The '51 stock colors of Emerald Green (peeJ), Tunisian Red and Manila Red really pop in modern paints. Or, you could get a custom color like "Cherry Fizz" to go with "Orange Crush".

gmwillys
02-23-2021, 10:44 AM
A snazzy paint job only leads to an LS or Hellaphant transplant.....

bmorgil
02-23-2021, 01:19 PM
Come on TJ how can you resist? Drop it down low and fit some 15" wide 31 tall tires under the back and some nice skinniness up front. A blower out the hood and a maxed out LS under it. Oh yaaaaaaaaah......

Put your company logo on the side and campaign at the locals.... I know this garage that would build the motor for cost. Call it "Diggen' Dirt"!

5JeepsAz
02-23-2021, 03:44 PM
I vote for the LS because I've never heard it told as it is happening. Unless he goes e-lectric. That would generate a buzz.

TJones
02-24-2021, 01:47 PM
You guy's are Killin Me:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gmwillys
02-25-2021, 03:39 AM
What are friends for..... Influencing questionable decisions on a regular basis.

5JeepsAz
02-25-2021, 05:24 PM
I hope he doesn't have the budget for it. That always makes it fun.

TJones
03-05-2021, 12:46 PM
Welllllllllllll,
Sitting in the Garage-Ma-Hall and got tired of looking at drippings out of the bellhousing and transfer case so I did the unthinkable, I pulled the tranny and transfer case out of the "Orange Crush" and completely tore it down to the bare cases and had everything bead blasted to start fresh from scratch.
What in the hell was I thinking and why didnt I do it when it was laying on the floor before the dress went on her??????

Did find out why she was leaking though.
1. the input shaft retainer deal went bad and #2 was it didn't have the front bearing oil slinger shield on the input shaft.
With any luck "and the creek don't rise" i will have her all stuffed back in the Ole Girl this weekend.
P.S. I didn't count everything but there sure is a lot of pieces parts in a T90 and a Dana 18 when you get it all sprawled out on the floor

LarrBeard
03-05-2021, 03:06 PM
"What in the hell was I thinking "

If I had a dollar for every time ...

I see that you have a MediumFH in the tool set.

Just don't let any of those dammit clips get away from you.

5JeepsAz
03-05-2021, 09:26 PM
You were thinking about putting a new motor in there... LS maybe, if memory serves. It'll need the rebuilt transmission. So it had to be done. Weird thing about dresses and tequila. Never mind, tell you later. Good progress!

bmorgil
03-06-2021, 08:51 AM
"P.S. I didn't count everything but there sure is a lot of pieces parts in a T90 and a Dana 18 when you get it all sprawled out on the floor"

Come on now TJ, nothing there compared to a Spicer SST 20 speed!

TJones
03-07-2021, 06:27 AM
That’s no lie Bob,, your engineers at Dana/Spicer must of laid awake at night designing transmissions. My Western Star Dump has a 18 speed in it and I don’t think you could tear it up if you tried.

TJones
03-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Well a couple bloody of knuckles, a couple cuss words and a few Heinekens and I got her all stuffed back together.......

bmorgil
03-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Very pretty! Time to fill er' back up and cross your fingers TJ! Dana 18's have to be one of the toughest things to seal up. Every bolt is wet. The shim pack is notorious. A real pain in the A@# to seal up. T90's are no treat either. Originally there is no seal at all in the front of the transmission on the T90. It had a felt packing and relied on a "thread pitch" to direct the oil back to the case. It is a primary spot for drips.

TJones
03-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Very pretty! Time to fill er' back up and cross your fingers TJ! Dana 18's have to be one of the toughest things to seal up. Every bolt is wet. The shim pack is notorious. A real pain in the A@# to seal up. T90's are no treat either. Originally there is no seal at all in the front of the transmission on the T90. It had a felt packing and relied on a "thread pitch" to direct the oil back to the case. It is a primary spot for drips.

Bob I watched a few youtube video's from "Rick Stiver" and he was VERY helpful on how to seal the notorious T90's and Dana 18's bleeder spots up, he suggested sealing every single bolt with form a gasket on the ends and especially the the bleeder hole on the front of the tranny case that lets oil come out the input shaft and bleed back into the transmission, he also suggested to put a sealed main bearing on the pilot shaft and add a rubber seal on the input shaft retainer.
Now mind you it was a B*&^h trying to put form a gasket on the end of the bolt and make sure I got enough never-seize on the stainless bolts to keep the from goulding and locking up, but I guess we'll find out shortly after I get her filled up with oil and take her for a test run this afternoon.

bmorgil
03-07-2021, 10:36 AM
TJ, fortunately stainless just needs something to prevent metal to metal galling. Black silicone will provide you with both a lubricating property and a sealing property. I have found on the bolts a wipe of black silicone on clean threads will do the trick on stainless or regular bolts to seal it up and keep them from galling.

TJones
03-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Damn that’s good to know Bob!!!!
Should of asked you earlier.
Thanks

TJones
03-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Took the Ole Girl for a 12 mile warm up and brought her back and I spent 15-20 minutes under her looking for drips and not a one (YET) that’s a win-win!!!!!!
Now I’ll move to the bottom radiator hose that’s dripping ever so slightly on the front diff. then start cleaning up the mess underneath that the oil/antifreeze drips caused.
I’ll be ready for Toledo and Findlay!!:cool::)

bmorgil
03-07-2021, 06:30 PM
TJ your as bad as I am. Snow just melted, can't sit still!

5JeepsAz
03-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Way to go!

TJones
03-07-2021, 07:29 PM
TJ your as bad as I am. Snow just melted, can't sit still!

Nope, Sun was blazing but it was a brisk 28 in NE Ohio but I went for a tour!!!

TJones
03-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Way to go!

Thanks 5AZ

gmwillys
03-07-2021, 08:38 PM
Yeah the original felt seal on the input is aggravating for drips. After servicing the trans and transfer case with moderatly descent Royal Purple gear lube, and adding the prescribed amount as called out in the shop manual.... Every time the Heep is parked it leaves it's mark of a purple puddle. At least I know that there is plenty of gear dope in the case, much like an old Harley.

bmorgil
03-08-2021, 07:54 AM
You really have to wonder about the original design. Overfill protection? Automatic input shaft spline lubricator? A real surprise if you ever park it on a steep incline with the grill downhill!

gmwillys
03-08-2021, 02:31 PM
Funny thing is, it won't leak when parked. It just puddles while running. It is like the oil keeper or oil vanes for a lack of a better term are turned the wrong direction.... Pushing oil out, instead of pulling it back in to the case. Stranger things have been known to happen. It's not enough to warrant ripping out the transmission to fix, unless something else needs attention. Just keep a chunk of cardboard under to catch the residual from a day of running. When parked nose down, it doesn't leak any more than when parked on the flat. The quirks of a 75 year old Heep.

LarrBeard
03-08-2021, 03:51 PM
"The quirks of a 75 year old Heep."

I peeled the mummy wrap off the '48 today and took it for a ride around the section. In Indiana roads are wrapped around each section of land (1 square mile; 640 acres) so if you go around the section, you get close to a four mile trip. When I put it away last Fall, it had a drip from the pinion. Would it drip today - noooo. It's either low on oil or it's waiting for me to get more than a mile from the house to drip again.

The neighbor had his 71 GTO convertible out as well, but he got about a quarter mile from his house and it quit. No fuel pressure to the injectors. It's a really nice restoration/soup-up with a blower and all kinds of fancy stuff.

I offered to have the '48 Jeep with the F-134 pull the blown and injected '71 GTO back home, but he declined - he'd go get his wife and 4-wheeler.

Oh the shame ... I'd hate folks to see me with a GTO following me!

5JeepsAz
03-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Towing that would have been postcard worthy! How funny. I also see lots of restos out and about here too. Not any real jeeps, mostly 70s pickups, few earlier, and 70s hot rods. If I see a willy's I'll post it up.

TJones
03-08-2021, 07:42 PM
Have any of you guys ever got on www.bringatrailer.com??
A friend of mine said I should post my bike on here, there are trucks,Broncos, blazers and such being sold for STUPID money.

gmwillys
03-08-2021, 08:23 PM
I just imagine LarrBeard the G.O.A.T. pulling a goat around ???.

Bring a trailer is too rich for my blood.

TJones
03-08-2021, 08:31 PM
No S%#T me to buddy, where do these people come up with it????

TJones
03-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Back to the goat story :p;)

5JeepsAz
03-08-2021, 10:14 PM
Maybe the goat would have lived if he got into this pickup I saw, instead of the G.O.A.T's heater doaner jeep? The truck isn't a short bed, it's got the shlongbed. Sorry, truck humor. Yep. Actual guy at one of these super expensive resto vintage truck shows I'm seeing here on the youtube. ask the mrsG for "Lone Star throw down 2021". I'm talking cleanest paint, max mods, and hydraulics galore. Even if you traded, swapped, and twerked wrench, you gotta be tens and tens of thousands in on these things. Parked near to Krusty the clear coat patina truck. Plate said 'shlongbed'. I do declare.

bmorgil
03-09-2021, 07:24 AM
Did Az go twerking? How do you "twerk wrench" Az?

gmwillys
03-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Do we really want to have AZ explain the how and why of the twerk wrench?

TJones
03-09-2021, 11:20 AM
I am sure he will come up with something quirky:):):)

5JeepsAz
03-09-2021, 03:39 PM
Nah, I pushed it to the limits enough already. You guys are too good to ruin with more of that. Words are funny though. What's more funny is some guys in different states sitting on their own upturned bucket contemplating their jeep and what it just did, and did not do. Different Willy's, same story's. Anyway, the nice restos on here are clean, and I appreciate them and respect the efforts to make em perfect. Keep twerkin wrench TJones!

TJones
03-14-2021, 06:17 AM
Took my exhaust to the Powdercoater this week and had it Ceramic Coated Satin Black

bmorgil
03-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Out of control TJ! So nice.

5JeepsAz
03-14-2021, 05:09 PM
Didn't know you could do that to exhaust an turn out that good. Nice!

TJones
03-14-2021, 05:32 PM
Thanks Az!!
He tells me it’s good to 2,200 degrees.
If it gets that hot I’m in trouble!!!

TJones
03-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Out of control TJ! So nice.

Must be getting Winter Boredom

gmwillys
03-14-2021, 08:43 PM
Sweet! Love the look of powder coat, and really live ceramic coated exhaust. The powder coat on your exhaust should last you a lifetime of fun running.

5JeepsAz
03-14-2021, 11:40 PM
Alright Mr. Jones, hope I can call you that? I needed to help myself and thank you and your thread for being there. My head is lately bent. So, like enugo montoya I went back to the beginning. I started back at page one you wrote just like I did before I signed up on here. My build has me confused so I reviewed yours as a compar-o. So, first off, you have a great misses. That garage sign she made you is terrific. Second, your build is great. You started 100 years ago when you were hill climbing one seat jeeps as a kid and somehow the path includes building a very cool example Heep as an OG. I am totally impressed with how you started out with a show quality resto in mind and never once waivered. Wtg man. That's what I needed to be reminded of. Confidence. Then, the humility. Sir your handiworks are something I pay money to get done! Awesome. And then, the example of just working away at it. The 3 wise men (yep I said it cause it's true) just helping out with some words and wise cracks here and there, but you tore *** through this build your own way. I love it! And last. I forgot, but it's a cool deal that you have this thread and I thank you for taking the time to share this. Buckets, man. We all got em. We all sit on em. But you get off yours occasional and do good stuff. Thank you. I'm headed off to tackle one of the wise men threads this week. I am having a hell of a time being done. Because there is no such thing! Frankly, dynos and clean paint on smooth metal, perfect fitment, it calls to a man. But I don't wanna. LoL. How didyou sleep when the engine blew up on you? How did you sleep when the dyno #'s were unclean that one time? It's just a commitment to a vision of a perfect build. That's what's challenging me. Like maybe it could be done... not just better, but perfectly... Good luck on this phase and watching to see just what it becomes, knowing it'll be great as usual. Thanks for understanding.

TJones
03-15-2021, 04:36 AM
Damn AZ you must not sleep much either:D:D
I see at 12:40 AM (my time) you were on here typing away.
My build was more of a project for a guy that used to own this very Jeep that I have now, Jerry Warren who has been like a father to me since I lost mine in a tragic accident at work when I was 16. He built a 31 model A street rod about 25 years after he sold this Jeep to another friend and I tracked it down and bought for $150 that had been sitting in a barn for 20 years.
I made my mind up when I started “with Jerry’s help” that I was going to do it right and your right “ I haven’t waivered” Thank You for the compliment !!! Since then his wife has come down with Parkinson’s disease and it has made it tough for him come and help or work on it with me so I keep him updated with pictures and such almost daily when we talk and I mean Daily either he calls or I call him to check up.
So that’s my story of why I’m so anal about this project and I’m sticking to it!!!!

TJones
03-15-2021, 04:49 AM
Here’s a couple pictures of Jerry’s and my Dads and mine almost 50 years ago.
Jerry’s is on the left and ours is on the right when I was 10-12 years old

TJones
03-15-2021, 04:53 AM
And here’s a few of when I tracked it down some 50 years later.

bmorgil
03-15-2021, 06:31 AM
Good stuff TJ! I am having trouble remembering when I was 12 years old.

TJones
03-15-2021, 06:45 AM
Good stuff TJ! I am having trouble remembering when I was 12 years old.

Bob if it wasn't for pictures I would have not remembered either, Thank God for the old photos that had the date they were printed on the edge:):rolleyes:

LarrBeard
03-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Took my exhaust to the Powdercoater this week and had it Ceramic Coated Satin Black

You just keep pushing the bar higher and higher.

TJones
03-17-2021, 05:19 AM
A friend sent me this last night and thought it fit this forum perfect!!!!

gmwillys
03-17-2021, 05:34 AM
Very true.

Although I have gotten spoiled on tinkering with southern vehicles. If it wasn't for actually cutting metal, I wouldn't need my acetylene torch since hardware actually can be removed without heating first. I helped a guy strip down a mid 80's Ford short bed to the bare frame. From start to finish, we had about six hours for both of us to have everything removed. No torch, and the wiring was all disconnected instead of cut. Too bad all my Heeps came from the rust belt.

LarrBeard
03-17-2021, 06:32 AM
Amen Brother!

bmorgil
03-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Exactly why I prefer any vehicle from a dry climate. I have a 77' pickup from Arizona I bought in the 90's. I remember grabbing a Cresent wrench and removing the bumper with ease! Not a chance on a rust belt vehicle!

5JeepsAz
03-17-2021, 04:10 PM
Hilarious. Sad. True. !!

TJones
03-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Look at this M38A1 up for auction on BAT with 6 days left on it, if you get on the website and look at the pictures it isn't as nice as Ira's was.
Might keep a eye on it to see what it does go for in 6 more days if it is at $10,000 now:rolleyes:.

bmorgil
03-18-2021, 08:49 AM
Wow, Jeeps and baseball cards these days! $10,000 and climbing and its not "perfect".

TJones
03-18-2021, 08:52 AM
That's what I thought bob, crazy money and it is pretty rough if you look at the underside in the pictures.

LarrBeard
03-18-2021, 01:40 PM
I guess we're a bit too sensitive as to what an M38A1 should be after the Pelago epic:

Additional service included fitting a 12-volt ignition and distributor

The lighting and electrical components are inoperative due to the absence of a wiring harness, rust is visible in the battery compartment, and no top is included.

Oil leak at oil pump

The emergency brake needs repair.

This vehicle used to be an M38A1, but needs a LOT of work. The metal looks pretty good though. It's more CJ 5 than M38 now.

5JeepsAz
03-18-2021, 06:32 PM
Not being an expert, asking what would make it worth the money? What's an average price for one in that condition?

bmorgil
03-18-2021, 06:55 PM
I guess we are about to find out Az. After that one sells it could set the market! I would think more like $5 grand. Missing the 24 volt system is going to hurt. As Larry said, It's more of a CJ5 than an M38A1. If you look at some of the M38A1's out there $10,000 will usually get you an original in fair shape to restore. All the parts there so to speak. $20,000 will put you in a show.

5JeepsAz
03-18-2021, 09:00 PM
Thank you bmorgil. It seems like this one is pay 10K, pay 20K for some parts and work, then sell the mistake for half of all that out together to somebody else who finishes it and gets it in a show... Even if you take the price out of the equation, everything Pelago did was pointed out not to be done yet, so this is huge project for the buyer!

gmwillys
03-19-2021, 05:38 AM
Everyone is wanting to jump on the vintage 4X4 craze. With the reintroduction of the Bronco coming out next year, you can't touch any brand of four wheeler for a reasonable price. My 2A in mechanically sound condition could potentially bring 6 to 8 grand if the stars were lined up just right. Just remember asking price is a whole lot different then selling price. There are still deals out there, but you have to search estate sales and farm auctions. It's when the kids get ahold of eBay and base their asking price off of what they see. The last M38 I had put up on eBay brought $700 in restorable condition with a stuck engine.

bmorgil
03-19-2021, 05:41 AM
How true gm. The price it is worth is the price it sells for. You can ask anything you want.

TJones
03-19-2021, 06:06 AM
I agree 100% Guy's........

gmwillys
03-19-2021, 07:04 AM
I'd sell my wagon at any time for stupid money, but the 2A can not be bought for any amount.

TJones
03-19-2021, 12:13 PM
I am starting to believe the same about the "Orange Crate" gm!!!
"It can't be bought for any amount"
The Bride did find some chairs she said she was going to buy for the Garage-Ma-Hall until she told me what they cost ($600 a piece) and i said we'll just sit on buckets b4 i pay that........

bmorgil
03-19-2021, 05:35 PM
How much were those seats in the "Crush"?

gmwillys
03-19-2021, 10:36 PM
I've seen benches and chairs like that, but the only grill I have as a spare remaining is a post '50s wagon /truck grille. It wouldn't be comfortable.

TJones
03-20-2021, 03:28 AM
How much were those seats in the "Crush"?

I’d have to look, but I think they were discontinued seats from Jegs and I got them for $115 a piece but the orange inserts were the pricey part they were more than the seats:(:(

TJones
03-20-2021, 05:59 AM
Here you go gm7800

TJones
03-29-2021, 03:14 PM
Okay Ole Wise ones,
I had to put a right angle drive on the transfer case to get my speedo to work due to the fuel pump and filters in the frame rail.
I took it out last week and the speedo quit working so I crawled under the ole girl and pulled the cable out and tested it from the TC end and it worked, so I pulled the right angle drive off and the tang end was twisted off. Any ideas what could of twisted it off?
The speedo cable is free, it's got me "dumb twerked....I mean dumbfounded" :)
Maybe just poor craftsmanship??

I know the shaft looks rough, but I had to grind it a little to get the tang end out of the shaft.

Rule#16:):)

bmorgil
03-29-2021, 03:23 PM
TJ, theirs no miles on that cable. It must be a bending fatigue. Can you get a close up of the broken surfaces straight on with a macro lens? I suspect we will see classic "Beach Marks", the sign of fatigue failure. If the shaft was slightly bent right there when it was installed or shipped, it will bend back and forth every time it rotates. This will cause the classic "Bending Fatigue" failure, which would radically shorten the life of the gear. I have seen speedo cables drive some pretty impressive loads so I doubt it is a load thing. I am thinking it was bent sometime in its life right near where it broke. Also it looks like there is a grove machined in right there. Another place to introduce a stress riser. I am thinking bad part.

TJones
03-29-2021, 03:27 PM
TJ, theirs no miles on that cable. It must be a bending fatigue. Can you get a close up of the broken surfaces straight on with a macro lens? I suspect we will see classic "Beach Marks", the sign of fatigue failure. If the cable was slightly bent right there when they crimped it all together, or when it was installed or shipped, it will bend back and forth every time it rotates. This will cause the classic "Bending Fatigue" failure, which would radically shorten the life of the cable If the cable had a tight bend near there it could also have caused it to bend back and forth. I have seen speedo cables drive some pretty impressive loads so I doubt it is a load thing. I am thinking it was bent sometime in its life right near where it broke.

It's not the cable Bob it is the end of the right angle drive that bolts onto the TC, I will see if I can get some better pictures up close.

TJones
03-29-2021, 03:35 PM
Here you go

bmorgil
03-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Ya we were typing at the same time. I saw that and corrected my post. I think an end shot will tell. I haven't seen many broken gears, even when I was doing heavy truck stuff. That is odd. I am thinking bent or just plain a bad one. The gear is case hardened there. It would crack easily. A macro end shot might help to see actual fracture. Hold it up and shoot the end the actual fracture surface as close as you can.

TJones
03-29-2021, 03:51 PM
The Guy at Texas Industrial Electric that made the first one told me that it possible was to small for the hole in the transfer case speedo drive gear and it could of been wobbling around inside it and finally gave up, he had me measure the hole with a drill bit and it was 5/32 which is .150 and he is making me another one to fit tight.

My camera wouldn't get a very close up picture.

5JeepsAz
03-29-2021, 04:15 PM
Thank you. That may be why mine bounces, if it's a wobble or warp at that juncture. Mine also tests good but doesn't read right. I'm thinking when I add bmorgils tach-o- meter I'll address it.

TJones
03-29-2021, 04:55 PM
AZ
You can test it with a drill motor and see if it’s the speedometer.
It may very well be the cable inside the housing needs greased up and can pull it out from the transfer case end and check it.

5JeepsAz
03-29-2021, 05:22 PM
TJ, I think I have a similar disconnect problem to what you found with yourn. What you said well they did that. I was gonna say hey put a pie tin on the drill bit and run a belt to increase the speed. But I forgot. See, they could only get it up to 25 or 35 mph and it seemed right. Also, before that, it got hooked up to a machine that said it read 2x speed so they fixed that. Meaning, the instrulment cluster works, the cable works. Except now that it's all installed it bounces between 20 and 80 mph. It smooths out some when I play good music.

bmorgil
03-29-2021, 05:32 PM
Play more good music!

bmorgil
04-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Good stuff TJ! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/album.php?albumid=116

gmwillys
04-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Great stroll down memory lane!

5JeepsAz
04-02-2021, 12:55 AM
That is more impressive now, the more I learn from you and all. The vision, the planning, the expertise. Holy crap. That is amazing. Exactly what you aimed to complete. High end. One of a kind. Love the seat fit. But what I saw this time that is the best - that gearbox! I've never known of anyone who did that, and that is something one day I hope to have. I will bet the shift feel on it is amazing given the rockin power plant. Need to reread your whole thread for ideas. Thanks for posting all the build pics.

TJones
04-02-2021, 06:55 PM
OMG it’s time to send pictures to the west coast...

bmorgil
04-02-2021, 08:12 PM
You have to admit it immediately brings a smile/grin to your face!

TJones
04-03-2021, 05:28 AM
It really should to everyone on here that has taken their time and done a good job on a project, YES it does!!!!

TJones
04-16-2021, 05:22 AM
Unbelievable !!!!!

gmwillys
04-16-2021, 05:43 AM
Cripes. I should have held on to all the Heeps that I have sold for a reasonable price to fund my retirement.

TJones
04-16-2021, 05:57 AM
I know gm it gives me a lot of hope for the Orange Crush:):)

It wont be until after we all go to Toledo in August for sure, and if somebody comes there with a pocket full of Stupid Money it will find a new home and if they have enough the trailer will stay as well and help fund mine too!!!

LarrBeard
04-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Unbelievable !!!!!

If the FC-150 is a Mugly Other, the FC-170 is a Big Mugly Other.

TJones
04-16-2021, 06:53 AM
If the FC-150 is a Mugly Other, the FC-170 is a Big Mugly Other.

That's for sure Larry!!!

TJones
04-16-2021, 07:12 AM
On to a another topic Ole Wise Ones,

I got my new data plate from KW yesterday and need to mount it after I run it to a trophy shop to get engraved, now the tough question is do I have it engraved with the original M38 plus the serial #70999 that matches the title or do I have it done with CJ-3A that matches the new body from Willys Overland Repli-Tub I put on it with the serial #70999 that matches the title??

bmorgil
04-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Unbelievable !!!!!

Wow! Somebody is happy. That is one expensive ugly!

TJ I am thinking the CJ title and plate. It is definitely not an M38!

TJones
04-16-2021, 11:39 AM
Wow! Somebody is happy. That is one expensive ugly!

TJ I am thinking the CJ title and plate. It is definitely not an M38!

Right On Bob, that is "One Expensive Fugly"

The only reason I am a little puzzled on what to do is if she does get a Stupid Offer one day it has to have a data tag somewhere on it that has to match the title and if they run the serial # it would come up as a 1952 M38 with the serial # 70999....
So I don't want to pass up a sale because of that, especially if the buyer one day needs to take it out of the country into Canada or across the ponds somewhere it will be virtually impossible to register.

Maybe someone else has had the same dilemma and will have some help on what to do in this situation cause I sure as hell don't.

5JeepsAz
04-17-2021, 12:01 AM
would both be possible? Rusty old one with the original numbers and a shiny new one with as modified numbers?

TJones
04-17-2021, 06:11 AM
A builder I do a lot of work for called me and said he is remodeling a kitchen and the owners wife didn't like the kitchen cabinets and she wanted them replaced and wanted the old ones put in the dumpster so he called me and guess what?????
I got more storage in the Garage-Ma-Hall a BIG WIN on my part!!!!
Can't have enough storage can ya???

LarrBeard
04-17-2021, 07:01 AM
Why not put on two plates. One plate could be engraved "Chassis/Title M38 70999" and one that says "Body CJ 3A 452 GB100XX".

I have both the original SN as well as the MVIN number on the '48 plate.

LarrBeard
04-17-2021, 07:03 AM
Look at those cabinets. You fell down in the barnyard and came up smelling like a Gardenia!

Now, how are you going to remember what cabinet you put which item into?

gmwillys
04-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Sweet! One an never have enough cabinet space. In my case, I need more wall space to put up more cabinets.

TJones
04-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Took the Ole girl down to get the hood and tailgate lettered up this morning!!!
Hope she does a good job and doesn't make it to busy, I told her I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and not to make it ungodly with a bunch of pin stripes.
keep Her Simple and Subtle......

bmorgil
04-23-2021, 03:37 PM
You just keep tuning that thing up TJ! What will you do next?

5JeepsAz
04-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Very interested in your outcome, if it works i might finally do a side stripe

TJones
04-23-2021, 06:15 PM
You just keep tuning that thing up :rolleyes:TJ! What will you do next?

Don’t have much more I can do Bob, bout done all I can think of unless you guys give me some more ideas:confused:

TJones
04-25-2021, 05:59 AM
Went and picked the Ole Girl up from Pro Art Signs in Canton and Sharon did a Great Job!!!
I had her paint the bottom edge of the hood black on the inside because when they re-painted the hood they didn't paint over the powder coat and it didn't match the paint at all, so it's black now.

bmorgil
04-25-2021, 06:06 AM
That looks nice! Totally like the black. Super good contrast there. I have been thinking about highlighting the Willys stamp on mine. I wanted it to look like a stocker'. I don't know if the highlighted Willys stamp was a stock thing or not. Or if it was a dealer thing or an option or both. I like the highlight.

TJones
04-25-2021, 06:14 AM
That looks nice! Totally like the black. Super good contrast there. I have been thinking about highlighting the Willys stamp on mine. I wanted it to look like a stocker'. I don't know if the highlighted Willys stamp was a stock thing or not. Or if it was a dealer thing or an option or both. I like the highlight.

Thanks Bob
I was tossing the idea around to do the Willys in a brighter orange or something bright but she has been doing this for 40 some years and she suggested black soooo I went with the Pro's idea of Black and it turned out perfect.

TJones
04-25-2021, 07:14 AM

You know now that I think about it I am not sure if they did ever highlight the Willys stamp or was it just stamped in????
Maybe Larrbeard or gm will know for sure what they did back in the day.

LarrBeard
04-25-2021, 07:37 AM
I think it varied over the years.

The first generation of trucks, the '46 through mid-1950 (The L-134 trucks) had a WO stamped on the tailgate. Pictures of those trucks in original condition are rare, but I've not seen any painted WO tailgates on the early trucks.

In the later trucks, I have seen both painted and unpainted WO stampings. Then, after a while, the stamped WO went away and all you got was a 4WD at the lower right corner.

I suspect the little Jeeps (the CJ-X) varied all over the place just like the trucks. We would need a bunch of old pictures to tell just what they did which year.

It goes to Rule 2: "Never say Willys-Overland never did ___________________ ." (Or always did either).

AJ-MJ
04-25-2021, 09:07 AM
TJones, I really like your JEEP and the black highlights you did is "icing on the cake". I think it looks great!

I also agree with Larry's "RULE 2".

I do have several photos of original CJ3B's. One is a 1954 and the other is a 1963. The only Willys that was painted white on these jeeps were on the sides of the hood.

5JeepsAz
04-25-2021, 10:27 AM
That thing is perfect.

Even on the later trucks, the J-Series, painted tailgate lettering is unknown. IMO it varied on the lot: some tailgates painted lettering, sometimes no paint.

On my truck I was convinced jeep lettering was not painted, due to early in run. After scrubbing off the patina, a little dab of original white was revealed. Even had some reflectivity. So I went with white ĺetters. But it bothers me. The unpainted was subtle. Then again, people like it. So there's that

LarrBeard
04-25-2021, 03:30 PM
That is a good picture. On the far left is one of the later trucks - 4WD. The tailgate appears to have a painted "JEEP" centered with the "4WD" in the lower right. I can't tell if the "JEEP" is stamped as well as painted.

AND LOOK! Bob Jarvis had the courage to park a Mugly Other FC-150 out front with the other trucks, Jeeps and wagons. That might have scared people away.

5JeepsAz
04-25-2021, 07:41 PM
5 pennies says aĺl this talk leads somebody to restore an FC!

TJones
04-26-2021, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback Guy's.

gmwillys
04-26-2021, 11:16 AM
Good topic!

To answer the question, in a round about way, no. Willys didn't typically paint the embossed lettering until the '50s. That doesn't mean that the dealer didn't spruce up the details for further brand identification. This has been a debate as shown in the link, on other forums.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/painting-stamped-logo_topic40481.html

The black on the orange looks really good TJ! I look forward to seeing it up close in August!

GreyWilz
04-26-2021, 06:30 PM
I really like the originality and cool set up of your rig, TJones!

AJ-MJ
04-26-2021, 08:34 PM
I book marked this CJ3B site and think it is a pretty good guide for restoration details but I will yield to rule 2 and the experts.

https://cj3b.info/Owners/Charnok.html

TJones
04-27-2021, 03:59 AM
I really like the originality and cool set up of your rig, TJones!

Thank You GreyWilz

TJones
04-27-2021, 04:00 AM
AJ—MJ That is nice!!!!

TJones
04-27-2021, 04:47 AM
I am DONE NOW!!!

bmorgil
04-27-2021, 07:25 AM
Sure you are.

gmwillys
04-27-2021, 08:19 AM
Until the next upgrade.

AJ-MJ
04-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Just one more thing..... LOL

TJones
04-27-2021, 12:39 PM
No I Am, this thing about beat me so I’m calling it quits b4 it does!!!!

GreyWilz
04-27-2021, 04:05 PM
That's ready for a car show!

5JeepsAz
04-27-2021, 06:26 PM
Car show time. That is so perfectly built. Have you shown it along the way?

TJones
04-28-2021, 04:27 AM
Im waiting for Toledo to roll around.

bmorgil
04-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Counting the days, praying for good weather!

TJones
05-02-2021, 06:15 AM
Might have to take a little joy ride today, weather looks pretty nice here in NE Ohio it is supposed to be in the low 80's :cool::cool:
After the yard gets mowed of course :rolleyes:

gmwillys
05-02-2021, 08:15 PM
How did the ride go? I should have taken the heep out this weekend, but was doing other things. It won't be long before it will be time to pack wheel bearings on the car hauler and shoot north.

TJones
05-03-2021, 04:46 AM
It was a beautiful day for a joy ride, put about 80 miles on it yesterday.
I just wish I would of put a baffle in the fuel cell when I built it, the fuel pump mounted in the frame rail squalls pretty good when it gets down to about a half a tank and the fuel sloshes from side to side and the pump sucks air.
So I guess I will just have to keep it topped off.

TJones
05-11-2021, 04:30 PM
Okay guys!!!!
Went for a short little ride on Saturday and parked the Ole girl.
Came out tonight and have a puddle the size of a dinner plate under the emergency brake drum, drove it 100 or so miles after it was put back together and nothing now she’s leaking out of the rear output of the transfer case.
Any ideas??
Could it be the EBrakes to tight and scorched the seal or maybe a speedy sleeve on the rear yoke?

gmwillys
05-12-2021, 04:39 AM
Much like a Harley and old dogs, constantly marking their territory.

I would look at the output yoke sealing surface first. The brake would have to be way too tight to cause enough heat to mar up a seal. I'm in the same boat when I went through and fixed the parking brake on the 2A. The output yoke showed signs of a wear pattern on the sealing surface, but didn't leak. Installed a new seal, and it weeps when driving. A speedy sleeve is in my distant future, unless I dig through the spares bin and find a better example.

TJones
05-12-2021, 04:56 AM
GM I was just on YouTube and guys mentioned sealing the output shaft spline with permatex before putting the yoke, nut and washer on, they say the oil has a tendency to siphon out through the splines.
So I guess I have another project this weekend, the Bride is going to see the grand babies today in Myrtle Beach so I’ll be batching it for a few days.

bmorgil
05-12-2021, 06:43 AM
TJ if the brake was on and there was enough heat to get to the seal, you would have known. That would be red hot. It can and does happen, but it usually is accompanied by fire or at least a lot of smoke and heat. The drum would be red hot.

At the output the Dana 18 leaks from:

-Between the shims. Use a thin spray of Hi-Tac Spray on on each shim.
-Along the threads of every bolt. Seal each bolt with a thin film of black silicone.
-Around the outside of the seal. Light coat of silicone around the outside of the seal before installation.
-Down the spline. Light coat of silicone on the spline before installation.
-At he seal surface on the yoke. Use a wear sleeve if in doubt. Do not under any circumstance sand the surface. A large warranty nightmare of mine stemmed from persons wiping the seal surface with abrasives. Even Scotch-Brite will cause a drip. The micro scratches left behind cause a lot of problems. That surface finish is very specific believe me! You cannot duplicate the ground surface of the yoke. If it is suspect replace it or put a sleeve on it.

All that said TJ that much lube on the ground isn't a drip from something. Sounds like you are going to find a failure of something worth writing about! Like the seal fell out or something equally bizarre.

Don't feel bad I have a few drips I am still chasing. These old baby's!

TJones
05-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Well I got the drum and yoke out!
1. When the sand blaster blasted all the parts I had the surface taped off on the yoke thinking he wouldn’t sand blast it, NOT he blasted all the tape off and put a rough surface on the machined surface and I didn’t catch it when I installed it.
2. The spring broke on the tc side of the seal.
So off to Akron Bearing to get a new seal and a speedy sleeve for the yoke.
Wonder if they make a double lip seal to put in instead of a single lip that was original or should I not even mess with it?

bmorgil
05-14-2021, 04:58 PM
Well a good time to catch it TJ!

5JeepsAz
05-14-2021, 05:48 PM
Thats a fantastic catch! Pull that fuel tank while its down?

TJones
05-19-2021, 06:30 AM
Well I got the speedy sleeve installed and the double lip seal in, now its time to fill-er-up again.
Just wondering if I take the shifter tower off and fill it through the tranny until it runs out the fill hole on the transfer case if that would work, they share oil don't they through the tranny?
It is easier to do it that way due to it's a B*&^#h to fill the transfer case through the side hole that is too close to the frame rail and my electric fuel pump is mounted in the frame at that spot (poor engineering on my part) :( :(

bmorgil
05-19-2021, 08:25 AM
You could TJ, just be sure to pull the fill plug on the transfer case. You will need to keep filling the transmission until lube comes out of the fill hole on the transfer case.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2513-T90-Transmission-and-Dana-18-Transfer-case-Lube-Levels&highlight=lube+level

gmwillys
05-19-2021, 09:09 AM
Absolutely. Bmorgil is right to pull the transfer case fill plug. The wide open transmission cover would be a whole lot easier then trying to weasel in to the fill plugs. On our 2A, it doesn't like to be full to the plug. It will leak out the input shaft until it gets to the level it likes when driving. The transmission doesn't leak while parked.

TJones
05-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Thanks Guys!!!
It will be a heck of a lot easier that way.

TJones
05-20-2021, 06:58 AM
Here is the double lip seal and the speedy sleeve i got for the Dana 18 rear yoke just in case anyone needs to put one on theirs.

51 CJ3
05-20-2021, 07:19 AM
Thanks for posting the parts you used.

TJones
05-20-2021, 05:17 PM
Thanks for posting the parts you used.

No problem CJ3, just thought somebody might need them one day.

gmwillys
05-20-2021, 11:17 PM
I'm going to stock up for both the heeps. We don't have any good local sources that you can step up to the counter to match up a pile of seal and bearing remnants to match up for cheap. Thank you TJ!

TJones
05-31-2021, 02:50 PM
Beautiful day for a joy ride!!!
Happy Memorial Day to all who have made it possible to joy ride in Freedom.
Thank You!!!

TJones
06-27-2021, 05:02 AM
Took my pickup in Wednesday to have it oil sprayed and the guy used a mixture of waste oil and bar oil for the nukes and crannys then he used Fluid Film on the wide open areas.
He said they came out with a new Fluid Film that’s black and I’m telling you it looks like he painted everything underneath black, damn I should of done this when it was new it turned out pretty sweet
Had to park it in the gravel for a couple days while it dripped out but all and all I was very pleased for $120.00!!!

Gizzard
06-27-2021, 06:40 AM
.......................have it oil sprayed and the guy used a mixture of waste oil and bar oil for the nukes and crannys then he used Fluid Film on the wide open areas.
He said they came out with a new Fluid Film that’s black and I’m telling you it looks like he painted everything underneath black,

Is this a northern state thing? Never seent that in my neck of the woods.

TJones
06-27-2021, 06:55 AM
Oh Yeah Gizzard
Between the Road Salt and Brine Water (from the oil wells) around NE Ohio in the winter months, if you don’t do some sort of preventative precaution against either type of snow melt it will eat your vehicle up with rust faster than a Kansas Wheat Fire taking off across a field in a wind storm!!!

That’s why everyone tries to find vehicles from the southern states that use sand on their roads instead of salt/brine water!!
Cancer Free

bmorgil
06-27-2021, 07:52 AM
Rust is amazing around these parts that's for sure TJ! Nothing like a concentrated salt spray at 60 mph in a fine mist to insure the rust gets started everywhere. You have to wonder the eventual cost of all that salt eating up everything from concrete to steel, and then making its way to the great lake.

gmwillys
06-28-2021, 08:23 AM
The first time you work on a southern kept vehicle, you are then spoiled. With northern vehicles you have the following sequence of events; Oxy acetylene torch, air chisels, more torch, PB Blaster, more torch, impacts sockets with sledge marks from wailing on the socket while the impact gun hammers for extra shock, more torch, and finally break the bolt off. As a general salt belt law of averages was that on a quiet night, if you listen closely, you could hear your new car/truck rusting from the inside out. There was a company that sold a bill of good stating that the had a process that would prevent rust. Ziebart would go through your vehicle and drill through the lower edges of the body and would "coat" the inner panels with rust preventive..... Within ten years most of the cars rusted out around where the holes were drilled.

3M does make a descent product called Cavity Wax, and it works in the same principle as Ziebart, but it uses existing holes and long straws on the applicator can to reach most places.

bmorgil
06-28-2021, 11:18 AM
No matter what you do that rust starts somewhere around these parts. I love your "salt belt law of averages". We actually used to say "On a quiet night you can hear your new car starting to rust", and then sob quietly.

TJones
06-28-2021, 12:03 PM
Is this a northern state thing? Never seent that in my neck of the woods.

So there you have it Gizzard:D:D

LarrBeard
06-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Ziebart used a fairly heavy material that was more of a coating or a sealer than anything else. It worked OK until it was compromised, then it held salt water into very intimate contact with the base metal and accelerated rusting.

Over the last quarter-century, I've favored a process called Rust Chek. Their process is more a heavy WD-40 type material than the thinned out tar that Ziebart used. Rust Chek will work its way down into lap joints and seams, something that is imprtant on old metal in our Jeeps.

I had the '48 Rust Chek'ed and in several areas around the lap seams in the bed I can see where the juice has worked its way along the seams. Now it did discolor the bed liner a bit, but I much prefer that to having it quietly rust away.

TJones
08-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Well
Getting the Orange Crate all loaded up to trek west, as Horace Greeley once said " Head West Young Man" I'm not real sure about young part but the bride and I are heading west.
Rumor on the street is 4 of us guy's from this forum are meeting up at the Bmorgil Ranch and heading to the Toledo Jeep Fest for the weekend!!
If anyone is coming or already there look us up because the Wonderful People at Kaiser Willys has sent us some really neat stuff to pass out, A Great Big Thanks to Mike, AmyB, RachelH and all the people at KW for getting so involved in such a Big Event!

bmorgil
08-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Ya gotta love a parade!!!!!

LarrBeard
08-06-2021, 10:38 AM
Of course there are the last minute questions from the longsuffering spouse:

"Are there going to be any other wives there?"

"Does Mrs. bmorgil know there are going to be people there by 3:30"?

"How many is she expecting for supper?"

My answers;" Yes dear, Yes, dear, All of us Dear."

A two hour plus road trip in a 73-year old truck will be the easy part.....

bmorgil
08-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Go east Larry... just keep her headed east! Mrs bmorgil has no idea what to think of all this "Jeep Thing" stuff!

5JeepsAz
08-08-2021, 01:34 PM
Looks great TJ. thats such a perfect jeep

TJones
08-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Thanks You AZ

TJones
10-20-2021, 04:45 AM
Boy I got all the neighbors stirred up now!!!!
Our electric went out at 3:30 yesterday afternoon in the whole city of Cuyahoga Falls and is expected to be out for several days and my Generac is humming like a bumble bee!!
The City is telling everyone it shut the pumps down that fill the water towers that gives us water pressure and that may come to a halt if it stays out for more than a couple days, so we may be out of water too.
The Bride invited everyone over for coffee this morning, time for me to leave and go to my shop :):):)

gmwillys
10-20-2021, 05:22 AM
You may want to keep an eye on the Generac.... One of said neighbors may be out there throwing rocks at it.

bmorgil
10-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Watch for the power company to come hook up!

TJones
10-20-2021, 05:50 AM
Funny you say that, the neighbor asked if he could hook up a extension cord to my deck to run his fridge, microwave and coffee pot.
It tripped the GFI on the deck when he plugged it in, so I said it’s to much and he got pissed :(:(

LarrBeard
10-20-2021, 06:59 AM
Generacs and GFI's sometimes don't get along well. Make sure you have a good ground rod close to the unit. That gives a better ground reference than depending on the house neutral line. If the GFI loses track of where all of the current is going in and coming out, it will trip.

And remember Ira's hurricane incident when his his generator tried to walk off.

TJones
10-20-2021, 08:17 AM
Generacs and GFI's sometimes don't get along well. Make sure you have a good ground rod close to the unit. That gives a better ground reference than depending on the house neutral line. If the GFI loses track of where all of the current is going in and coming out, it will trip.

And remember Ira's hurricane incident when his his generator tried to walk off.

Larry I was wondering what was up with it tripping the GFI when he plugged it in, I just figured it was to much draw for the plug.
He then had the balls to ask if we could plug it in to a non-GFI plug inside and I told him no way I didn't want to take the chance of a short over night inside my house with his cheap A** extension cord and plus there would be no way to shut or lock the doors.
As far as it growing legs, it is sitting on a concrete pad anchored down with 1/2" bolts so it would take a guy big enough to go bear hunting with a switch to walk off with mine :):):)

TJones
11-30-2021, 06:13 AM
Here it is guys:cool::cool:
It has a 383 stroker in it now, but he’s got a 671 blower to stick on top of her to make it breath better!!
350 automatic tranny
Ford 9” narrowed
The bed was tubbed and 3”s added to the rear fenders
Cab was stretched 6”s
Bed was shortened 6”s
And it was converted to suicide doors.

bmorgil
11-30-2021, 07:17 AM
Wow that's a sweet one!