PDA

View Full Version : Willys Paint and Supply

OliYe
04-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Hey all, this is probably a stupid question (I seem to have many as a Willys amateur) but I'm trying to find the correct paint to spray my Willy's CJ3B.
I have the color code from the Kaiser Willys catalog but is there somewhere I can buy this paint using the code or do I have to find a supplier how can color match from the page in the catalog? either way is there a recommended/renowned supplier?

Also, I am going to try and buy a spray gun kit and go DIY (as with the rest of the restoration) so does anyone have any advice what type of primer and paint is best?

Thanks so much.

Can't wait to post some before and after pics, but for now, back to the rust and dirt grinding stone!

Oli

gmwillys
04-09-2018, 02:04 PM
There really is no such thing as a stupid question, so ask away.

I would take the paint code to a local automotive paint supplier. They should be able to cross reference the color code with a recipe in their system. The color swatches in the catalog is for reference, and can not be used to determine the exact color through their color match computer, (the paper from the catalog doesn't give the computer the right color composition).

The paint supplier will be able to set you up with the proper primer/hardener/paint/reducer for your application. They will be able to set you up with a product that is user friendly and forgiving. The best paint gun choice will depend on your budget, and total painting you plan on doing. A cheap set from Harbor Freight will do the job, but the adjustability and durability are not for the everyday use. Have one gun set up for primer, then another one with more adjustments for color coats. Primer takes a different spray nozzle,(hole size) than your color does.

A tip for removing old paint and rust; Buy the nylon brushes from Harbor Freight or Menards. At $3.99 a piece, they are worth their weight in paint dust and body filler. They clean up the metal, and leave you with a surface that after you wipe with degreaser, you are ready to prime. Included are a few pictures of my 2A while using the brushes in a drill. A total of four brushes were used to do the entire Heep.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-80-grit-nylon-abrasive-wheel-with-14-in-shank-60325.html

LarrBeard
04-10-2018, 08:32 AM
I have the color code from the Kaiser Willys catalog but is there somewhere I can buy this paint using the code or do I have to find a supplier how can color match from the page in the catalog? either way is there a recommended/renowned supplier?

You may find a lot of your colors listed under American Motors paint codes. It seems all they did for the brand was update the paint catalog.