PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 52' M38 please

ghillie
05-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Greetings All,

I have the above mentioned jeep that is giving me fits! For the life of me I can't seem to figure out just what the heck is going on. The jeep will start and idle just fine until you start to drive it. As it accelerates through gears and warms up it will begin to lose power, hesitate, cough, backfire and want to stall. I can't get out of second gear or over 25mph without this issue and end up limping home every time. I have taken it to several mechanics and they seem to be without a idea as well. I did find a cracked exhaust manifold and leak, had that replaced with a new exhaust manifold with the heat riser, also replaced the following, intake manifold, new/rebuilt YS 637 carb, new fuel pump, fuel pick up and sender, new distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, plugs. The timing has been checked several times and I wonder if it even is a timing issue. It seems/feels like it's not getting fuel especially when you let off the gas it will die/stall.

I hope that someone here has heard of this kind of issue and can point me in the right direction. I have many thoughts on what it could be but have no clue, for example:

is the heat riser installed correctly/ working correctly- could this be causing the issue?
to much fuel pressure being delivered to the carb?
is the distributor vented adequately?
is it a vacuum issue somewhere?
could the brass bushing that the distributor shaft runs through be worn and creating wobble of the rotor at the points and failing to contact?

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears and eyes! Thanks for looking!

gmwillys
05-18-2018, 01:12 PM
GHillie,

Just a few questions/checklist.
1. Does the engine stall when revved at no load, or only on the road? Runs fine under no load at all RPM ranges, then look at spark more than fuel.
2. Has a compression test been performed? If the rings are weak, they will compress when warm, loosing compression.
3. Is the Jeep stored outside? Water in fuel?
4. Timing was checked, but what about the dwell at the points?
5. Fuel line too close to the exhaust?
6. Valves been adjusted?

This sounds to me more of a timing issue all the way around. Perform a tach and dwell, look at the points and condenser. Let us know what you find, then we will go from there.