PDA

View Full Version : Jeepster FEVER

Jcmjr1959
09-14-2012, 05:59 PM
OMW , I purchased a 1970 Jeepster Commando little over a month ago. My wife asked me to wait until January to start my restoration project ..couldn't wait....I removed the transmission , transfer case , gas tank , wheels , hubs....The FUN has begun so I will be posting pictures and progress but most of all I will need lots of questions answered because I am very new to this....thanks in advance to all that has been thru what I am getting myself into....LOL

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I am with you brother learning as I go. Maybe we can share some ideas.

Jcmjr1959
09-18-2012, 07:30 PM
I am with you brother learning as I go. Maybe we can share some ideas.

Sharing ideas would be great....look forward to pictures from your restoration...and I will post pictures of my Jeepster ...just started taking pictures so I will post soon....
First question though is I removed the gas tank and the gas line due to lots of hose clamps , which seems to be a future problem so should I install a new rubber hose or something else steel , stainless etc..?

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I am faced with the same dilemma. The old lines were all metal and the replacement was rubber. I haven't done any research yet but plan on going with rubber lines. They are cheaper, easier to install and could look pretty clean. Like I said though I haven't done the research yet but want to see the benefits of having hard lines if there are any.

Jcmjr1959
09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
O my.....the ball and chain is so mad at me for working on my Jeepster.....transmission and transfer case just Took me so long to redo....it's all back together and reinstalled so one milestone is complete and may have to put the old thing on hold a few weeks.....a least until she calms down....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm fortunate mine just lets me do what I do as long as I do what she says. When I am working on the truck she leaves me alone.

Jcmjr1959
09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm fortunate mine just lets me do what I do as long as I do what she says. When I am working on the truck she leaves me alone.
The California air must help with that here seems to be hot and humid kinda like the attitudes ....it's all good I did say I would wait a few months before I start this project because I have a few going already but some how I managed to work my way towards this thing .....so how is your truck coming ? You drive it some now don't you ?

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-28-2012, 08:32 AM
No she is down to the frame and rear suspension. When I pulled the front apart the spring was broke, a hangar was smashed and in general disrepair. I got new springs but still waiting on the hardware. To be honest the hardware may be wrapped up in the springs but I havent had time to check yet. Been busy at work and kids fall baseball. Maybe this weekend if kids boyscouts dont eat too much of it. Oh yeah while I was wire brushing the front axel I think I may have torn a seal. Got a puddle of axel juice all over the garage floor. Of course the wifey let me know that.

Jcmjr1959
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
No she is down to the frame and rear suspension. When I pulled the front apart the spring was broke, a hangar was smashed and in general disrepair. I got new springs but still waiting on the hardware. To be honest the hardware may be wrapped up in the springs but I havent had time to check yet. Been busy at work and kids fall baseball. Maybe this weekend if kids boyscouts dont eat too much of it. Oh yeah while I was wire brushing the front axel I think I may have torn a seal. Got a puddle of axel juice all over the garage floor. Of course the wifey let me know that.Axel juice with absorbent has made my shop floor look like a sand box for my grandbabies.....I am learning as I go and the computer Internet has been my helper with a lot of my repairs....best of luck on your truck I do understand about this thing called life , reality and kids....and my case now (3) grandkids and not the end in site....but to see and hear about a project done right is an inspiration to make me try to do the same so let patients guide you.....I don't have but I am going to try....talk again soon....by the way where in California I have a sister in San Diego ....

Jcmjr1959
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Back on the Jeepster again, this time it's to repair some holes in the floor under each seat ...some of the structural members are bad and in need to be removed and new installed....I will start with a side arm grinder and remove the rusted out metal and see where it Go's ....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Post some pics. Metal work is one of the things I am having the most fun with. Probably because when its done its the immediate satisfaction. I throw in some metal work between each major project just for fun. Here are some frame work photos. Just filling in some Swiss cheese on the frame rail.192193194

Jcmjr1959
11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I posted pictures on the photo gallery....jeepster/Jesse Martin check it out....I went shopping at harbor freight , that little blaster is pretty neat...it will come in handy for this project and other things I am working on as well....thanks for the tip
I will be working on the metal floor longer than I thought , I'm slow and work has picked up....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I was looking for your photos but had no luck finding them. Did you post them in the photo gallery in this forum?

Jcmjr1959
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Actually the pictures are posted to the Kaiserwillys photo gallery......I didn't realize they were not linked....I will work on this ....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
205206207208209 Found them. Hope you dont mind me posting them in this thread. Truck looks pretty good from what I can see. I see what you are talking about on the floor boards. Do you have access to a welder. If so I think I would replace the whole floor board. Its a pretty cool little truck.

Jcmjr1959
11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I have two welders.....one for each hand but I weld like a dirt dobber but I think I can do this one right.....you seem to be good at computers to, I enjoy getting on this forum chat almost as much as working on my Jeepster ....I am considering replacing the entire floor but first I am going to start removing the bad areas and see where it gos from there...

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Its doesnt really serve any purpose to replace to whole thing if you dont need to. Double fisting the welders is a unique talent. I have a hard enough time remembering to put my mask on let alone handling two of those things.

Jcmjr1959
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
You were so right about the metal work being fun....it is , or at least the demo part is ...cut out and grind seems to be the thing to do for a few days...o by the way I totally forgot about the gas tank leaking and sparks flying from my finger tips
( grinder wheel) Scared the £€¥# out of me....I was thankful for the hands protecting me....lol

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Lol, I think everyone who has ever worked on a vehicle has some sort of fire story. I remember a buddy of mine who was checking for spark on a spark plug. He pulled the plug out and without realizing it held it over the plug port and had me turn it over. Well the spark plug HAD spark, gas came shooting out the port as it should and my bud wound up having to grow some eyebrows back. After I got done laughing I put his eye brows out and we went back to work. Needless to say we havent made that mistake again.

Jcmjr1959
11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I am sure there are a lot of funny stories like that and then the blame game , your fault because you should have said are you ready really for me to turn the key....I enjoyed that laugh thanks....after lunch with the family today I started back on the grinder and I am loving the results...

Jcmjr1959
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Still grinding and grinding....if I am not careful I may change the gauge of metal ....progress is taking shape and yes I have lots of pictures and will post sometime this weekend....I had to work on the motor this week a little , head gasket replaced and so again all over the place ( ADD)

railroadwilly53
12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Good Luck with your project, Can;t wait to see picture's. Am wanting to start my project soon too. LOL

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
You crack me up. You say I have to change the head gasket like its the same as changing the oil filter. I would be upset. Howd it go anyway?

Jcmjr1959
12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Well , I really thought is was something simple and as I always do, BITE off more than I would like as I did here...but being that said I am done and it's working great for now ....Learned a lot again at the expense of a Rookie / greenhorn at restoration of , to me a Classic...lol
Railroad , I will post pictures soon , so get started on your project ....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm impressed with the head gasket change. Its not all that difficult but there are some things you need to know before you change it. Its awesome you were able to do it yourself.

Jcmjr1959
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
I think the replacement was a success but looking back and searching the "how To videos " you are so right about some things you should know , I didn't do any of them so I am blessed to have this work out for me....I work on the Jeepster so much and truly enjoy it....someone quoted once that Jeeps are Additive....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm glad everything worked out on your head gasket. I do a lot of you tube searches if I am about to do something I havent done before. Lots of good and not so good knowledge out there. You are right. I am very addicted to fixing this jeep.

Jcmjr1959
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
I do a lot of you tube watching as well for the same reason but unfortunately at times I start first and run into a road block / problem and then hurry to the computer..
I just sent my Jeepster seats off to be redone....I am excited about this......

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-30-2013, 08:45 AM
I do a lot of you tube watching as well for the same reason but unfortunately at times I start first and run into a road block / problem and then hurry to the computer..
I just sent my Jeepster seats off to be redone....I am excited about this......

Can you post a picture of them when you get them back. I would love to see them. I had some cheesy stock cloth buckets in mine that I have no intention of putting back in. I believe the original seat was a 70/30 split bench which I am not having any luck finding. I haven't looked in awhile. If you see one come up let me know. The one thing about the 70/30 I thought was weird, and then cool, was the 30 side was the passenger side. Kind of not what I was expecting.

Jcmjr1959
01-30-2013, 08:52 PM
I will post pictures soon, I have a lot of pictures that I need to post...
As for 70/30 bench seat , I was looking on eBay this week and a willys wagon up for bids with that seat and I thougt that was odd, unless it was for laying down for lumber or longer items....

Jcmjr1959
02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi Cal, seats are back and I love them, picked up today in the rain but very happy with the look and quality .....I will take pictures and get these posted , so backed up on posting pictures.....I and like the guy on here that said he is a nuts and bolts kind of guy not good with computers....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I hear you Jesse. I am more of a visual guy. I learn by seeing which is why I always ask for pictures. They are after all worth a thousand words.

Nemo von Klepper
03-02-2013, 02:01 AM

Hmmm...
Not quite the way it works here... I've been refurbishing 2 convertibles (not Willys) at the same time, and she gets really jealous, -but she adores riding in them.
She extremely skeptical about the CJ3b, slated to go into high gear refurbishment late this year. She doesn't attach as much value to the Jeep... :-(

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
When its done get her off road. Here is the hard part though...you will have to let her drive. She will have a blast and your next resto will go smooth.

Nemo von Klepper
03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
She drove it in the hay field once... She says it drives like a tractor (hard to steer)... But you're right off road is the key. She's somewhat of a nature fanatic and I've managed to win her over to kayaking and primitive camping.

She's funny about the convertibles. I bought the first one to restore, using parts I had from my one that had been rear ended and totalled, then I suddenly found another very rare limited edition that was in overall better condition, but a right price. There were enough parts for both and the insurance money covered all expenses plus a large chunk for the Jeep. I wanted to sell the 1st convertible, but she wouldn't let me because she likes the colour better than the 2nd. She doesn't drive them because they aren't as user friendly as her Toyota.

Nemo von Klepper
03-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Which brings me back to your comment:

I'm fortunate mine just lets me do what I do as long as I do what she says. When I a m working on the truck she leaves me alone.

Isn't this a contradiction? How can you do what you do, and do what she says? What if she wants your truck painted Willys "Tropical Rose" with Willys "Coral Mist" accent tone? Lol!

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-03-2013, 09:46 AM
LOL its not a contradiction to my wife. Sometimes I tell her the absolute worse plans so that when I "change" my mind to what I really want, she says its a good idea. Just have to make sure the first is not something she wants.

Nemo von Klepper
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Hmmm... If I tried something like that, it would definitely bite me in the butt. For example, if I suggested we paint the 3B "Tropical Rose" with "Coral Mist" wheels just to get her to go along with it, I'd get stuck with a violet & pink jeep.

I do resort to my own manipulation tactics however; She can have any car she wants (within reason) that will fit within our budget, so long as I can have a similar budget to use more or less the way I choose on my car collection, -which is also my transportation. That said, she still won't let me sell the redundant convertible. She says I worked too hard on it. She also can't quite believe how far I get with my allowance. She gets one car and I get four. Every now and then I have to show her the books to convince her I'm not cheating.

Nemo von Klepper
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Btw, I forgot to mention "Her Ladyship" is warming to the idea of the Jeep. She's seen how well the 1st convertible restore is turning out and she's becoming less convinced it's money down the toilet. It also helps to explain to her that my "allowance" will be worth more than her "allowance" in 5 more years.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Right now the wifey has me working on house projects mostly outside which is cool because its not too hot. I knock out a lot of that junk then I have carblonch over the summer. We shall see.

Nemo von Klepper
03-07-2013, 01:16 AM
There in lies the rub... We haven't purchased a house up here yet, so I'm not quite up to my eyeballs in honey do-s. I did put in a huge effort when we first got here with furniture and there's barely a stick (especially the bedroom) that hasn't been revitalised by me. Thankfully the place is too small for any more furniture, so I've had time to work on my things. My wife likes the kayaking enough that I don't expect she'll object if I refurbish the skin this spring on my 45 year old (it was dad's) kayak, new skins run about $2000, so my refurbishing gets her blessing.
Anyway I do the dishes, loundry and make the bed constantly and try to remember to vacuum regularly. Oh yeah, she had me planting the roses...

Nemo von Klepper
03-07-2013, 01:33 AM
I wonder if BSA will ever get a automobile restoration merit badge? It just occurred to me when I realise a vast majority of the skills I just mentioned I picked up in Scouts or 4-H and I remember reading in the Kaiser Willy blog about some kid restoring a Willys truck as his senior project.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Thats a valid point with BSA. Seems like that would be something productive for the scouts.