PDA

View Full Version : Springs

Boodogboo
06-03-2018, 11:26 AM
My willys wagon has springs on top of axle when I got it and rear has what looks like some out of maybe a s-10 or something small. Are there any springs out there that maybe have 2" lift with springs under axle and maybe smoother ride any help, smoother ride number one, I really don't want to do 3link with coils unless that is last straw. Thanks!

gmwillys
06-04-2018, 04:58 AM
You can purchase springs that have the arch added in to achieve a 2" lift. These springs will last a good while without loosing their arch, as long as they are not constantly overloaded.
With the axle currently fixed with the springs on the top, are the spring seats welded in on the top? Not a big deal, either cut them off, and weld them in on the bottom, or purchase new ones and weld them in.

LarrBeard
06-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Are there any springs out there ...

A tip about springs.

We put a whole new set of springs on the '48 truck. At the time it didn't cross our mind to paint the springs since they had a coat of black paint on them. Now, three summers later, it appears that we probably should have given the springs a coat of the same paint that we used for the frame.

The paint on the springs is a fairly porous paint, a little better than primer, but not much. The paint absorbs stains from road dirt and has taken a gray cast in a lot of areas (ends of spring leaves). Some areas look like they want to rust.

If you're going to the trouble to paint the frame, shoot the springs while you have the gun loaded

Boodogboo
06-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Roger on the paint!