PDA

View Full Version : Motor identification

Okle J
06-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Hi there jeep people. I traded for a 46 cj-2a a few days ago. Got it home yesterday. I freed up the motor this morning and engine looks good but has no carb. Reserching what carb i need it looks to be a L-134 motor has carb on passenger side. Thought i would make sure though. Numbers on passenger side of block read 806279-W-12-D-AR. Can i identify the motor by this number before buying a carb? Thanks for any advice.

gmwillys
06-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the Willys family.

The casting number that you supplied is a late M38A1 F134 block. The serial number will be behind the water pump, on the flat deck surface that the head mounts, (often times ground off if the block deck had ever been machined flat). The serial number will start with an MDXXXXX for a factory block, or RMDXXXX for a remanufactured or replacement block. The big difference between the L head and the F head is that the intake valves are above the exhaust valves. The intake are within the valve cover. An L head has both the intake and exhaust within the block, and the head is flat. The intake is moved to the passenger side of the head, and a Carter YS carburetor is used. The CJ2A used a Carter WO carb, mounted on the driver's side of the engine.

The issue that you will run into in running an F134 engine in your CJ2A, is that you will have clearance issues with the carburetor and the hood. I have seen several examples where a custom air cleaner was used to help clear the hood, so there would not be a need to cut a hole in the hood. The picture enclosed is an engine bay picture of my CJ2A.

Okle J
06-05-2018, 05:46 PM
So maby i have a L-134 head on a f134 block? My ecaust is on drivers sode and intake on passengers. Tried to attach a picture but my posting skills are falling short.

Okle J
06-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Ok think i misunderstood your reply you are saying if it was an L-134 both exhaust and intake would be on same side?

gmwillys
06-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Yes Sir, the M38A1 block will be the F head. The exhaust is on the driver's side, then the intake is on the passenger side. An L head has both on the driver's side.

Okle J
06-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Thank you.