PDA

View Full Version : Mr1964cj5

Mr1964cj5
06-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Have a 1964 cj5 and trying to get ignition switch to fit my existing dashboard hole. Why would Kaiser sell one that is too small on the diameter and one with no slot on the threads to line it up. Anyone know where I can get the right one? Pretty disgusted with Kaiser Willys on this 2 year restoration project. Seems as tho they never have the exact part.

gmwillys
06-18-2018, 06:40 AM
When shopping for replacement parts, it is in your best interest to shop around. Most all of the electrical parts for Willys/Kaiser/AMC Jeeps are now produced by Crown, which is made in China. They work as advertised, but often the just don't fit well at all. I learned several years ago to purchase American made brake components, because the Crown items just didn't fit correctly. Mount holes didn't line up, brake lines didn't seal up without adjusting the flair.

I have several sources that I utilize for purchasing parts. My favorite for NOS parts for military vehicles is Quarter Ton and Military, https://quartertonparts.com/. They keep a treasure trove of original parts. Ebay is another good source, if you look hard enough, you can find NOS parts as well. Often times, they are dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Motor-US-69-Ignition-Switch-for-Jeep-CJ3-CJ5-CJ5A-CJ6-CJ6A/392064845474?fits=Year%3A1964%7CModel%3ACJ5&hash=item5b48e2c6a2:g:waoAAOSwh9FbIqPc

Mr1964cj5
06-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Thanks. I guess what upsets me about it all is when they tell you it is for your Jeep they should tell you it might not work. Very misleading. I have spent thousands of dollars on this restoration project and this is pretty upsetting.

gmwillys
06-18-2018, 01:16 PM
I agree, but unfortunately these companies bought out the rights to produce the reproduction parts, and they will cut corners to produce a product that closely resembles the original parts. When it comes to electrical parts or brake parts, it pays in the long run to purchase from reputable American manufactures.

I have purchased a lot of parts from different sources, and will buy all my reproduction sheet metal pieces from Kaiser Willys. It is made in the U.S., and fits with little trimming. But I have seen first hand what one of these "licensed" reproduction body tub kits look like. The fit and finish is horrendous, and the metal quality is even worse. Willys Overland out of Toledo OH, https://willysoverland.com/ sells a version of the foreign made bodies that they bring into their shop and repair all the faults of the tubs. They guarantee that you can mount the tub within an hour.

As mentioned previously, the following pictures are from an MD Juan body kit and frame purchased back in the mid to late 80's. We purchased it in the early 90's, and the rust had already appeared. The metal had the consistency of a conglomeration of foundry floor sweepings and old rebar melted together to form Chinese grade steel. The wood that was placed in the hat channel was more of a sponge than the white oak that Willys used in the original production. Even though this Heep didn't see winter roads, the wood retained moisture from the environment, eating away at the steel from the inside out. The red body color was applied when the Heep was assembled, and showed very little wear and tear.

Mr1964cj5
06-21-2018, 04:16 PM
I can’t figure out how to put pictures on here. Can you help me out

gmwillys
06-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Sure, no problem. At the bottom right of where the text box is, there is a "go advanced" button. Tap that, and it will bring your message in another box, with more options at the top. The paper clip will attach photos from your files. There is other options for different options. It isn't too hard, if I can figure it out. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Mr1964cj5
06-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Thanks so much. This is my project of two years

arts55willys
06-22-2018, 11:09 PM
hello go to wtb //in 20 years i have only seen one used ing switch for sale spring loaded to dash and bolt on wires i bought it for a spair /good luck

Mr1964cj5
06-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Your website didn’t come up on the page