PDA

View Full Version : Lifting my Jeepster by moving leaf springs above axles

Jcmjr1959
09-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I have plans to lift my 1970 Jeepster so I can run larger wheels and tires , my plan is to move my axles to below the leaf springs , ( I understand that this is easier and cheaper on the wallet ) but is this a good idea and what would be pros and cons to do this...I have seen so projects like this on you tube.

Jcmjr1959
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I have always heard no news is good news....but I am still not sure about leaf springs over Axel's so this is my new plan , new thicker bushings between the body and frame , new leaf springs with more arch and added leafs , then size the tires to fit.... :)

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
12-01-2012, 10:12 AM
The second way sounds easier and cheaper but I am not sure it will give you the lift you are looking for. Axel below springs is not a bad idea (my opinion), there are trucks that come that way. There are even kits made to do just that modification. It seems like it would be harder due to making sure everything is aligned and welding the spring mounting plates back in the right position. I have thought about doing that myself but that will be later on I think.

Jcmjr1959
12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Im still not sure , but I did replace the body bushings and hardware....removed the old ones , they were flat 3/8" thick , broken and the hardware fastners were rusted .....used 2" and looks really nice so when I replace the springs I may be perfect for the look I want 31" or 32" is the size tire I am looking for....