PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Kaiser Jeep Station Wagon

CheyLadd
07-31-2018, 09:30 AM
I bought my first Jeep. After going to look at a 72 FJ40 in a farmers field and noticing three Jeeps in much better condition than the FJ40, my son and I bought all three Jeeps. These are the first Jeeps we have ever bought. We have had tons of FJ40's, Scouts, a Travelette, 71 Suburbans, 67-72 Chevy trucks, etc. But never a Jeep for some reason. I am super curious to learn what would have come from the factory on this as it has a few odd additions. I have been amazed at the lack of information on the 64's due to the transition to Wagoneer. Here are my questions:

1) Is the hood ornament airplane just an add-on at some point? No way it came from the factory, correct?
2) Is the roof rack factory?
3) I would never dream that the pull down shades are from the factory. However, there is a line through the bottom third of the door panel that matches the pull down shades. Weird one.
4) Did someone just add the Wagoneer emblem to the back???

Has the Tornado motor that still runs and drives. Needs some attention but overall pretty amazing condition. I am the third owner. The farmer had it here in Billings since 1997.

gmwillys
08-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Cheyladd, welcome to the forum! That is a really good looking wagon! I'm jealous.

To answer your questions;
1) the hood airplane ornament looks to be from an Oldsmobile
2) the roof rack looks to be a seventies full size station wagon roof rack, but there were dealer added racks available then.
3) the sun shades look to be J.C. Whitney style of shades that were available during the time period. Odd that it would match up with the door panel. Ponderous.
4) In '64, I wouldn't be surprised if the factory stuck on the Waggoner emblem. Odds are that it was put on after one of the owners got tired of being asked what model it was. Just a thought.