PDA

View Full Version : 1962 CJ-5 Radiator Question

Lyle462
08-04-2018, 07:01 PM
I was checking fluid levels and noticed the radiator coolant was a little low. I filled it to the bottom of the neck and went for 20 minute drive around town. When I got home and shut down I noticed coolant dripping from the overflow tube. It dripped for awhile until there was a bout a 6" diameter puddle then it stopped. After looking at my newly purchased service manual I noticed that I should have stopped filling at an inch below the neck of the radiator. Then I thought to myself, there's no overflow tank. I drove it awhile later and when I shut down I had a much smaller puddle from the overflow tube and it stopped pretty quickly. Am I correct to assume this is normal? Filling to the bottom of the neck is too much and there is no overflow tank on a 62 CJ-5?
The engine is a F-Head 134.

Sebastian21
08-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Years ago before overflow tanks they recommend two or three inches below the top to prevent the overflow. If you want it is easy to add a surge tank. You can just use a plastic one and mount it some place.

Lyle462
08-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Ok great! Thank you for your help.

gmwillys
08-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Your radiator cap might be releasing pressure Bellow the rated pressure. The spring may be weak, and allowing the coolant to escape. it is true that the manual recommends that the coolant be an inch from the neck. That allows for expansion when warm. Overflow bottles didn't come into regular use until sometime in the seventies or so.

Lyle462
08-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Ok thank you! Took the wife for a ride tonight. I'd driven it a few times today already. We drove off and after ten minutes, the Jeep backfired twice and blew the muffler apart. Towed her home and the ole gal won't start. Guess I'll be learning about Carter YF / G17 938SD carbs now. HA

gmwillys
08-06-2018, 04:37 AM
If the carb checks out, you may need to check the timing to make sure everything is still set. A back fire would be an indication that an intake valve is open while the spark is being applied to the cylinder(s). Just something to look at if you do not find anything wrong with the carb.

Lyle462
08-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Will do. Thank you!

SteveBonny
08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Yes the backfire is concerning. I would proceed carefully! Worse case scenario could be a dropped or broken valve or a problem with camshaft timing, slipped gear etc. You may want to bar the engine over by hand, check valve lash at TDC, maybe check compression if you have a tester. Hopefully not that serious but just be careful.

Sebastian21
08-06-2018, 02:02 PM
All the information you have got is spot on. One other thing that caused my CJ 5 to back fire was the distributer. There are weights in it change the advance as you power up. Mechanic call it the power curve. It can be checked by putting it on a distributer checking machine which most mechanics have. Never could get mine correct so I replaced the entire igination system with a new electronic one. Ran perfect from then on.

Lyle462
08-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Will do. Thank you for the advice. I did several things yesterday. Checked coil wire for spark at the distributor cap while cranking. Nothing. Did an ohms check on the primary coil circuit and it was good. Tested the secondary circuit and got an "open." Removed it from the Jeep and tested again just to be sure I had good contact. Still open. Today I took the cool to the local parts store and they had the same result. Guess that's a good place to start. Here's hoping that fixes things.