PDA

View Full Version : New to Jeepster Town

shaker71
09-07-2018, 05:07 PM
30393040Greetings from the Seattle area. I have a 1949 Jeepster that's rust free yellow and black. Upgraded to the Lightning 161 motor back in 1959. Parked since 1963 in heated garage and has 88k miles. Looks like a repaint, but it's patina is like original old paint. Interior is the brownish leatherette with white piping. Has old school skinny tires with wide whitewalls that have no cracking and hold pressure. As a matter of fact they were all still full when I discovered the car. I removed the fuel tank and had it cleaned and sealed, installed a new sending unit. Checked compression and #5 was 0 all the others were 125. I removed the head and found #5 exhaust valve stuck wide open. I removed the valves and performed a 3 angle valve job and glass bead blasted the carbon from the head. I rebuilt the carburetor and installed a new heat riser assembly. Found the original reason the car was DOA in the garage. Bad Ammeter not allowing any current through. Replaced the Ammeter and the car fired right up and runs exceptionally. The top was down and I raised the top and it appears original with "Regalite water soaked cloth" stamped into the rear plastic window. Oh, and I replaced the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders and the brakes work great now. The parking brake cable is a little sticky, but it's lubed and will work itself in. I found the original side windows in a pouch behind the rear seat. It has a fog light, heater, turn signals and back up lights. A pretty good old straight and original car.
Bill
Automotive Velocity

gmwillys
09-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Great find! Welcome Shaker71!

LarrBeard
09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
The Lightning 161 was an option, so it is still sort of original. AT least its not a Ford 302 with automatic transmission.

You know how rare that vehicle is, especially in original configuration.

It will turn heads and get noticed!