PDA

View Full Version : WWII OD spray paint that isn't Rapco

comma
10-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Hey guys. I have had a really bad experience with Rapco spray paint. Every can I have gotten has dripped all over the place and I can't get an even spray no matter what I do. I have never had any issues with Rustoleum or Krylon.

Do any of the big name paint companies make an accurate WWII OD in spray cans?

I don't have the ability to use a sprayer, so it has to be cans.

I am thinking about painting the black steel wheels on my suv OD green (and maybe a roof rack)

Thanks!

LarrBeard
10-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Every can I have gotten has dripped all over the place and I can't get an even spray no matter what I do.

Is it the consistency of the paint or the spray tip? Have you tried swapping a spray tip from a "good" can?

If it is the paint itself, not much that can be done about that.

comma
10-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Is it the consistency of the paint or the spray tip? Have you tried swapping a spray tip from a "good" can?

If it is the paint itself, not much that can be done about that.

It's most likely the cans, but I tried 12 different cans, and multiple tips on each can. Was told it might have been a bad batch, but I really want to get paint from a company with a little more quality control. It has been such a nightmare and this paint has lost me a lot of time.

The paint drips out as I spray. No matter how many different nozzles I try or how well it is shaken up.

Any recommendations for other accurate OD paint out there?

gmwillys
10-30-2018, 01:07 PM
You are not the only one with Rapco spray can issues. My first thought is to warm the cans, (warm water bath). Then shake the crap out of the cans. The problem is that the paint isn't in huge demand, and it sits on a shelf for who knows how long. The paint will settle in the bottom, and becomes very difficult to remix. I have seen where a saws all is fixed with an attachment to shake spray paint cans. The warm water bath will help to speed up the process. Then when you do get the paint to flow and you finish with what you are painting, hold the can upside down and spray until only the aerosol comes out. This will clear the tip of paint. Some folks remove the tips, and leave to soak in solvent in between use.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75596-RAPCO-Spray-Can-paint-issues

comma
10-30-2018, 01:14 PM
You are not the only one with Rapco spray can issues. My first thought is to warm the cans, (warm water bath). Then shake the crap out of the cans. The problem is that the paint isn't in huge demand, and it sits on a shelf for who knows how long. The paint will settle in the bottom, and becomes very difficult to remix. I have seen where a saws all is fixed with an attachment to shake spray paint cans. The warm water bath will help to speed up the process. Then when you do get the paint to flow and you finish with what you are painting, hold the can upside down and spray until only the aerosol comes out. This will clear the tip of paint. Some folks remove the tips, and leave to soak in solvent in between use.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!
I love the color, but it has caused me so much stress. I just don't know if I can ever use it again.
I used it it in very warm weather and shook for at least 10 minutes and still had these issues.

Maybe it was just that batch and I'll try to buy some more in the future.

pelago
10-30-2018, 05:19 PM

wow.... good toknow stuff