PDA

View Full Version : NooB to Willys Jeepster

SeanDo40
12-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
Last year I acquired a 1949 Willys Jeepster and though I love the little car I am finding a bondo nightmare (and rebar?). I am in process of cutting and grinding and welding back steel where golf ball body filler had been.

Wish me luck.

Thanks,
Sean

LarrBeard
12-31-2018, 04:02 PM
But it does look sweet ...

How original is it?

bmorgil
12-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Good Luck! I hate rust. My CJ-3A body was similar. I just bought repro steel. It was so bad there was no choice. Amazing how solid the frame stayed.

SeanDo40
01-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Seems to be almost all original. Aftermarket radio which I'll pull. It came with new floor pans and rockers from c2c. Also new aluminum radiator. I assume the heater is an add on.

LarrBeard
01-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Seems to be almost all original. Aftermarket radio which I'll pull. It came with new floor pans and rockers from c2c. Also new aluminum radiator. I assume the heater is an add on.

Willys-Overland offered a heater as an option in '48 and '49 - an option.

The '48 truck had a dealer option heater about the size of a coffee can. The truck was originally a Mississippi truck, but that heater was marginal even down in West Tennessee. One winter living in Indiana convinced me that something had to change, so in about 1969 I found a heater in an old Jeep wagon sitting in a barnyard.

Oh, by the way, there were the almost petrified remains of a dead goat in the wagon with me as I pulled the heater. That job didn't take long ..... . Now that all the holes are filled in, it keeps things very toasty.

Most heaters were dealer options back then and they varied all over the place.