PDA

View Full Version : Project update.

Toms51
02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
I received an email asking to share progress on my restoration if there was any. Well, I’d say I’m plugging away, slow but sure. First pic is how she arrived. Entire body except grill has been tossed. Second is where she’s at now, engine is at rebuilders- 6 months e.t.a. Third is today’s work, fashioning and successfully using my homemade axle puller, inspired by metalshaper on u-tube.

gmwillys
02-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Looking good! I'm going to have to sit down and make a copy of the axle puller. I saw that on metal shaper's video, and thought that would come in handy. Sure beats a slide hammer. Keep us updated when you can!

Toms51
05-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Hello again. Well things are slowing down with the nice weather and a finished 63 Buick convertible available but here we are so far. Space in the garage limits my work area so I decided to completely finish the back end and all is done except brake lines. Protection of that and a working platform now allow me to complete the frame, remove and rebuild the front axle and refresh/rebuild the transmission/crankcase. Word from the engine rebuilder is that he will start soon. Don’t need that till winter so good timing there.

gmwillys
05-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Looking good Tom! Enjoy the Buick while the sun shines!

bmorgil
05-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Nice work Tom! Taking your time makes for a meticulous project. That Willys is going to be a blast in the sun also. Especially with no top and, the windshield down!

Saw that wheel puller. Looks like it worked well. Have you ever tried one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. In the warranty shop we had OTC's but, I have this one. It is very good. I have yet to see a tapered axle a good tool like this could not remove.

Toms51
01-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Hello all, been making fairly decent progress. Attached pictures mark an important milestone, the completion of the frame!!! I hated this part, doing it by hand. Clean, degrease, sand, rinse and repeat, and do it again, followed by two coats of POR15 and 2 coats of semi gloss black. Plus a completed front axle, ready to mount.
Then we can work our way up. Engine being built in Connecticut. Forward we march...

bmorgil
01-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Looking good!

Toms51
04-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Hello again... moving along here and I’ve got a question. I pick up the engine and drop off transmission/transfer case this Saturday. Attached is a pic of the engine and my chassis to date. While I wait for the transmission to be rebuilt or refreshed I will finish front end, brake linkage and lines, and exhaust. Would this be the time to begin the wiring harness? If not, when is the optimal/smartest/easiest time to start that?
Thanks
Tom

gmwillys
04-21-2020, 08:00 PM
You can run the tail light/brake light harness to the brake light switch. You can roll up the remainder to the junction block that goes on the fender until later when you install the body.

okiemark
04-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Hello, Tom, your project is coming along very well. I am in the process of going through a 57 CJ-5. I decided to go with a whole new body except for the grill and housing, but my engine was good and the tranny and case had been gone through, so now I have everything done but the painting and wiring. I am ready to set the tub on when it is ready. This is my first go at this so I am no expert by any means. What I have done is to take the dash and put in the gauges and wire as much of that as I can on the bench. I have strung my tail light and brake light wires through the frame to the back. I am going to wait until I get the tub on until I start wiring the rest. I just felt like it would be easier to do that since I am wiring from scratch. There really isn't a whole lot there anyway and I just thought I could do a neater job that way.

LarrBeard
04-21-2020, 08:05 PM
Wait until you get the tub set in place, but not the engine. That will give you room to work on routing and the instrument holes show destinations for things (my opinion). Other opinions may differ.

bmorgil
04-22-2020, 06:25 AM
These are all good ways to go. As okiemark stated, there isn't much there. I had mine together when I wired it. There aren't many wires that's for sure. Following gmwillys it would be easiest to wire all wires that hook to the frame first, before the body. As Larrybeard said, it would be easiest to get to the firewall with no motor. I like okiemark, had it all back to together and it wasn't bad at all. If I did it again I would apply all three methods. Some on the frame, some on the firewall and the rest with the body on. One thing okiemark pointed out, the wiring under the dash is done laying across the hump on your back. If you can get some of that done on the bench it would be good.

Toms51
04-22-2020, 09:41 AM
And just like that I have direction! One cannot put a price on the knowledge that is out there. I thank you gentlemen and this forum once again. I like the frame first and the dash on the bench idea the most. Bending underneath ANY dashboard at 58 is no longer any fun. The next update should feature a rolling chassis with at least an engine.
Hope everyone is healthy and no going insane with this virus.
Thanks again
Tom

bmorgil
04-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Tom, you are going to have an opportunity to see how it will all go when you fit the body. It is pretty important to put the repro bodies completely together before you do anything "Finish". I will put some money it will need "Fitting". I would be sure the motor is sitting where it will be. Start by putting the fenders and grill on. Everything fits from there back.The firewall on the Juan tub stamping is not correct where the throttle linkage is on the back of the engine block. On mine the tub struck the block there, and had to be significantly modified. It was giving me fits. I could not figure out why the tub would not move forward far enough to bolt to the fenders. It had to be modified by about 2" in.

You will get a good idea of what you can and cannot wire easily, when the body is back on for good. I often thought about fixturing the tub up vertically, and standing under the dash to wire it prior to install. I was chicken I would scratch the paint. It would have made that MUCH easier. I laid on a surgically repaired old back over the hump!