PDA

View Full Version : Need help busting the flange off the end of my axle,,,

Grouser
05-26-2019, 09:29 PM
I tried hitting it with a rosebud, beating with a hammer a three-quarter inch impact driver. to twist it down ,PB Blaster, it won't move,,,, the left rear came apart for me but the right rear just won't move any suggestions?

bmorgil
05-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Grouser, In the Lab and on my own I used and use these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I havn't had a flange win over this style yet. You need good studs to hook it up. Thee impact of the sledge hammer hitting the driver pops them right off. At Dana we used OTC Tools. Dana worked with OTC, Miller and a few other tool manufactures to make tools for the axles. I have the one I pasted above.

Like a tie rod, the key is to shock the taper loose. If you use heat, the object would be to get the flange to grow a fraction from the heat to break the taper loose. Make sure you heat the flange and not the shaft.

Grouser
05-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the link. That does look like a healthy polar. I wish I could pull with three or four arms instead of just two. For now I'm going to try the patience soaking method wish me luck, thanks for the help.

Grouser
05-28-2019, 12:54 AM
Got it I let it set overnight and got a bigger Hammer that seemed to work.

gmwillys
05-28-2019, 07:01 AM
A B.F.H. works almost every time.

bmorgil
05-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Always win with the "B F H"!