PDA

View Full Version : Champion Radiator in a CJ3A

bmorgil
06-30-2019, 09:11 AM
A few shots of a champion radiator with the original fan shroud mounted. The Radiator had to be spaced out 1/2" closer to the motor, or it hits the front cross member and would set to high. Not a big deal. It does put the fan closer to the generator/alternator pulley. On mine, I had to trim it a bit. The fan also contacted the bottom of the shroud slightly. There was minimal trimming on the bottom of the shroud. The fan fits in nicely and pulls air quite well. This should be a very efficient cooling system.

LarrBeard
06-30-2019, 12:58 PM
Very nice setup!

bmorgil
06-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Thanks LarrBeard! Means a lot coming from you!!

gmwillys
06-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Looks great! You might need to draw everything out as a how too for anyone else who is considering the conversion.

TJones
07-02-2019, 03:55 AM
I called Ledfoot Racing in California yesterday and asked if could modify the radiator for my Heep and they told me to contact Champion directly, Ledfoot is just a dealer for Champion.
He gave me there number and it’s “Champion Cooling Systems” and the girl that I talked to was Very helpful, she said they can build anything I wanted. She said just email me a diagram of what I needed and they would send me a price to build it!!!!
On my way to FANCY....Maybe...I haven’t seen the price tag yet:confused:

bmorgil
07-02-2019, 07:22 AM
I am going to say they will be reasonable. From what I can tell their direct interaction with a customer, documented on a forum, resulted in a darn good radiator for my CJ3A.

It is a fantastic thing when you get linked up with a source for something, from a customer focused entity!

TJones
07-02-2019, 05:03 PM
bmorgil,
I can’t a response back from Champion and found another company in Chicago called Engineered Cooling Products and sent them my diagram and the guy emailed me back in 10 minutes. I’m debating on whether I should put a electric fan or not.
Your thoughts, I’m leaving the original finger slicer off so I’m thinking I should put some type on it.

gmwillys
07-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Just don't use a fiberglass fan. I had one on my 350 sbc in our wagon until a friend of a friend was killed while setting the timing on his son's dirt track car. He was rapping it up to clean it out, and a blade came loose and cut his jugular. Electric fans are nice, but when they quit when on a drive. Go with a good brand on any you choose.

bmorgil
07-02-2019, 05:21 PM
TJ for sure it will need some kind of fan. My son has great success with his monster Jeep and a "Pusher" fan. It is mounted on the outside of the radiator and pushes the air through. This was required because there was no room at all between the motor and the radiator. It runs very cool even when muding hard. I ran a S10 V8 drag car in the 80's. It had a twin fan setup on the inside of a large Griffen radiator. The two fans ran independently on thermal switches. One came on at 160 and the other came on at 190.

Keeping in mind that a lot of modern vehicles rely solely on electric fans, it is very nice to have the fans run for a bit after shut down.

I am a "FAN" of the electrics! For sure the best way to go in MHO. There are some nice fans with shroud packages out there.

TJones
07-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Oh my gm you have some stories...that sounds terrible, I just ate dinner and it makes me about half sick to even think about the mess that made.

TJones
07-02-2019, 06:02 PM
bmorgil the guy doing my motor told me for sure mount the fan on the outside pushing in. I do have the room but Chuck for sure said to mount it outside so it pushes towards the motor.
We’ll see if anyone gets back to me and then it’s off to Summit Racing, I’m so glad they are only 2 miles from my shop Kinda handy but kinda expensive some times bc they are so handy and close!!!

bmorgil
07-02-2019, 06:18 PM
It's no better here in Toledo. They deliver the next day!

gmwillys
07-02-2019, 08:36 PM
I won't share the story about working for my buddy towing cars.... Three sheriff's deputies and half a dozen volunteer firefighters lost their lunch. Even the coroner went ewww. I do have too many blood and guts stories..

A pusher fan would be the ticket.

bmorgil
07-03-2019, 07:37 AM
It is an installation/application issue for sure. While a PULL through system is better than a PUSH through system, they both have their place. If a lot of high speed driving will be the norm (above 40 mph or so) a push through system definitely gets in the way. The turbulence and blockage of the flow of air at speed is pretty big. It definitely shows up in the air tunnel. However if a lot of low speed driving is done, three factors come into play. First the turbulence is not a factor. Next the COLD air available to the fan is increased. And finally its a balancing act. If high speed driving is not the primary usage, and the cooling on a pusher set up is sufficient at speed, all is good. There is a minimal increase in overall drag at speed. It gets worse as speed increases.

A push through system should have minimal shrouding to work best. A pull through system requires a complete shrouding system.

TJones
07-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Well I got my price yesterday from the place in Chicago and they almost took my breath away, $650.00 and 3 weeks to build.
I think I’ll patiently wait to hear from Champion!!!

gmwillys
07-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Yeah... That is a bit much for a radiator.

bmorgil
07-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Definitely out of line for a Jeep street radiator. Here is a top of the line Griffen with a fan for that much. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-cu-00319

You may want to contact Griffen. There is no doubt they are very good. I have used them and seen them in many high performance and racing vehicles. They will make you what ever you want for sure. I think Champion might be a little slow on the response during the holidays maybe? I can tell you since you know a TIG guy, moving the inlet and outlet is no big deal.

TJones
07-05-2019, 07:59 PM
I emailed Griffin’s today and also emailed Be Cool we’ll see what happens next.
Thanks!

TJones
07-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Well I heard back from Champion Cooling today and they have some of the Best if not THE BEST customer service people I have talked too in the 23 years I have been in business by far......
I talked to a guy named Jeff for at least an hour about what I was looking for and he took their in stock radiator #5241 and made the changes I need for my Jeep to accommodate the motor swap to the Buick V-6 and gave me a price delivered to Akron for $449.00. I also talked to Griffin Radiator and she told me it would be between $800 and $1,200 to build a custom radiator to my spec, that was a no-brainer.
Moving on to bigger and better things now.
Thanks Guys for all your input on this.......

bmorgil
07-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Wow Griffin must have thought you needed a 900 HP full track competiton cooling system! I can tell you , they are good!

It is cool that Champion stepped up to the plate. If they come through for you, I am sure this post will boost some sales. I love the Champion in my CJ3A. It went right in. It looks great. There was minimal work involved to make the shroud fit.

TJones
07-08-2019, 06:46 PM
I was a little taken back from Griffin when she said 800-1,200 as well especially after I told her it wasn’t a Keith Black Blown Hemi putting out 4,500 HP we were dealing with here, she said “it is what it is”.
It should fit perfect, I gave them the exact measurements of what I have now.
I guess we’ll see in 5-8 weeks when it arrives!!!

gmwillys
07-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Now I remember why I was good at fixing my old busted up mopar rads. One was twisted four inches rearward at the top left, with the upper nipple pushed through the front of the top tank. The lower right side was pushed forward six inches. After an hour in the press, and some peening out the top tank, it actually held descent pressure when tested. Smart folks run the radiator in the rear, in front of the trunk. I never liked boiling water that close to my back side.

The Champion is a no brainier. Even I might invest in the Champion for the wagon project.