PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator Cindy

Pages : [1] 2

5JeepsAz
08-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Want to introduce everyone to Cindy.

1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator. 4WD, Long bed, 3 on a tree, tornado 6cyl.

Survivor so want to stay true to original.

Also going to be daily, so mods are fast approaching.

She runs and drives, but I need reliable, so modernizing seems the way to go.

Long list ahead, looking forward to suggestions and help!

gmwillys
08-27-2019, 03:52 AM
Welcome 5JeepAZ!

That is a good looking '64! The possibilities are endless on modernizing. A late model drivetrain, Vintage Air air-conditioning system, would be high on the list in your climate. What are your thoughts?

LarrBeard
08-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Very nice.

Your climate lends itself to vehicles being survivors - no salt or snow slop to eat things up. Instead of rust and corrosion, you get "patina" - a fancy word for faded paint and character.

Let us know how you get along with it ...

bmorgil
08-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Nice! Those 64's were big boy's that's for sure. Some sweet Dana axles in that baby, strong and lots of parts available. Restored to original, that is one reliable truck. You shouldn't need to change much. In AZ Vintage Air would be a big plus. Add a big radiator and an Aux electric fan, and the air conditioning would run sweet.

5JeepsAz
08-30-2019, 10:23 PM
You all nailed it with the a/c. So I'm looking at jeep air in Florida as source. Is that good?

I have upgraded the radiator to a 3 core. Original overheated so is in a box I kept. Installed in a way so if the original was put back, you'd never notice. So that was good.

The upgrade from generator to alternator was a choice. I just wanted reliability, so did it.

Next up are break parts. I'm going modern for the working bits, unless someone can convince me NOS are okay?

Now for a question/problem. Appreciate any advice. So it's a tornado which seems solid. I am getting a valve job. But I am thinking electronic ignition. The original has some kind of resistor package I don't trust. Mechanic says it sometimes runs rough.

Hey, check out the new bias plys. It is so much better on these. Stance, ride, steering, all better. Wanders, yes, but not unnaturally, and dang sure not because some tech part adjusted my input.

LarrBeard
08-31-2019, 07:51 AM
A. Going with an alternator was probably a good decision, especially if you add electric A/C which will be a significant electrical load on the system.

B. The overwhelming opinion of the group here is that you should not skimp on brakes. You should not have any problem getting new parts from a reliable parts store or a NAPA distributor. If the brake drums have been turned out to max, consider replacements - that made a HUGE difference in brakes on my '48 truck. Just remember what that phone commercial said: "Well, if your brakes won't stop you, something will ...'.

C. You mixed two comments:

"I am getting a valve job. But I am thinking electronic ignition. The original has some kind of resistor package I don't trust. Mechanic says it sometimes runs rough."

Valves could make it run rough, but probably all the time - not just sometimes.

The original ignition, with good parts and properly set points will run very smoothly. The "some kind of resistor package" could be that there is a resistor in series with the coil which is bypassed when the ignition key is in the start position. This gives the coil a bit more "oomph" during cranking for a hotter spark to start. Once things get running, the resistor is bypassed.

An electronic ignition will require less maintenance (no points to adjust ..) but if there is a valve issue, it will still run rough.

bmorgil
08-31-2019, 08:11 AM
The points do require maintenance. I made good money as a kid doing that for people! They are nostalgic and fun on an old vehicle. I so love electronically triggered ignition however. I could not resist converting my CJ3A to a Pertronix. I highly recommend it if you want a "set it and forget it" timing. It will also make up for a worn out breaker cams.

The resistor is not used with the Pertronix. As Larry said, the vehicle starts on 12 volts then, runs on about 9 via the resistor. Without the resistor in a points system, the points would burn up prematurely. If you install an electronic ignition, you usually replace the resistor with a direct wire to the ignition on terminal.

If you hook up a vacuum gauge and it is "jumpy" at idle, the valves 0r, their adjustment are suspect.

5JeepsAz
09-01-2019, 11:07 PM
I mistated a couple of items.

No valve job. What I meant was need to tighten the rocker arm to spec, if they are loose. Big difference! Sorry.

On the ignition, it may work completely fine as is. Thank you for explaining about the resistor. If I go to electronic, it will be when something breaks, not just to do it.

On the brakes, might go to a 2 plunger instead of the one plunger it now has. Need to address emergency brake system.

I need to find all of the grease bibs. Most were recently lubed. Some may have been missed, found at least two today which will improve performance if properly lubed.

So a neighbor drove it today. He has driven racers, built his own, knows his stuff, knows this engine. He thinks it runs fine. Got into a longer talk about performance. Watching someone drive it who knows what it does / should do was an eye opener. Some of my concerns are self inflicted. I'm worried the thing will stall, and it actually runs great. I realized today that driving an old Jeep truck is an entirely new experience. I've never driven a survivor truck from the 60's. No idea how do do it,
really. It behaved very differently when done by this guy who knows how to drive a truck like this. He kept kept it low rpm. He didn't use too much gas pedal. It does what you ask. So my learning today is slooooow down. Stop trying to hot rod!

LarrBeard
09-02-2019, 06:58 AM
" I realized today that driving an old Jeep truck is an entirely new experience. "

You have a way with words. I think that sentence catches just about the whole Jeep experience in one short line.

It takes a little patience, a little skill and a lot of understanding at times. None of my kids or grand kids have quite mastered the gears on the '48. They over-rev at shifts, they can't feel the slots in the shift pattern and they haven't figured out how to listen to the engine to let it tell you if you need to down shift or just clutch and run. First and reverse are not synchronized, so you have to grind a few teeth on occasion - but they haven't figured out the difference between a few and a pound!

Practice makes better. "Let the Force guide you Luke" applies to old trucks like it does Star Wars characters.

It sounds like you have a pretty good starting place with this truck. Enjoy it!

Oh, by the way - you will get noticed!

LarrBeard
09-02-2019, 07:01 AM
This bias-plies look a lot like STA Super-Traxions - they will talk to you ...

5JeepsAz
09-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Exactly right on all comments.

For rabbiting, I think I just don't trust it will do it, given the touchy vehicles and convenience focus in my era. Maybe I should start over. Retrain using a stall first approach. Working back down from lead foot ain't working.

Tires are a joy. Can't explain it. You either know or you don't. "Radials man, soft!"

I'm fortunate to have this one. Knobs work, labelled correctly, dome light works, all original. Very lucky find. I can just focus on a/c and paint. Mechanics are solid.

5JeepsAz
09-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Ok so a couple of updates.

Read some conversations here about the column shift. Mine went out so I crawled under and went in the engine bay and put it in gear to limp home. Buttoned up jumped in and damnit! Reverse!!! Twice more that happened. Finally found 1st gear which tops out about 5-8 mph. Limped home. Proud of myself for the road fix but worried about the linkage etc. Tightened up the linkage and it worked! Just loose. Then I squeezed some grease into the zerk on the column between the levers and unbelievable. Thing shifts smooth! Lesson learned about maintenance.

Paint. I'm correcting the paint. Neighbor asks me all the time how it's coming removing the primer. Finally won the argyment under the hood. Who the heck primers under the hood? Who takes the bed off to primer but not the doors? It's patina dang it. And, it is nasty. I've got four hours into this door, and still haven't cleared the bottom panel.

Funny though it may be to some, I am falling in love with this truck!

LarrBeard
10-01-2019, 10:09 AM
"Funny though it may be to some, I am falling in love with this truck!"

Every one of us understands. Although it is an over used phrase among the folks with the newer Yuppie Jeeps, "It Really Is a Jeep Thing"

Oh yeah - nice contoured stool - makes it a little easier to sit and sand.

5JeepsAz
10-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Yeah that's my butt chair. Goes with my funky beats tonneau which is actually a repurposed bed.

So glad to be understood about the jeep thing.

Very sadly, these mall crawlers don't even seem to recognize this is a Jeep even with the rhino chaser grille. No waves

Here's some pics of the tonneau with storage, an eight foot hole, and map table!

Sorry will upload more later. Don't have correct format.

gmwillys
10-02-2019, 03:59 AM
Love the bed cover! barnyard engineering at its finest!

You'll see more adventure going around the block then the mall crawlers will see in their whole lifetime. Change the wave to thumbing your nose.

LarrBeard
10-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Awhh Man - this is getting better all the time

5JeepsAz
10-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Pics for giggles. I have seen guys slow down and take another look at that green grass!

5JeepsAz
10-02-2019, 10:31 PM
More of the front hatch. It's sleepable, just need some kind of umbrella contraption.

5JeepsAz
10-02-2019, 10:37 PM
Currently futzing with this paint. Some dude on you tube just said, yeah it's great, just do doors one weekend and the hood the next. Wot?!? I am not that patient. But then I did spend an hour on four square inches.

LarrBeard
10-03-2019, 06:39 AM
I can't resist the urge for a really bad pun:

"There is a lot of bed room on the old Jeep trucks."

It looks like someone dropped a piece of pipe on the right rear tailgate ...

5JeepsAz
10-03-2019, 07:26 PM
LarrB that took about thirty seconds then got pretty funny. Lol. I got more done on passenger side door today. It really is hours.

gmwillys
10-03-2019, 08:00 PM
He's a crafty joker isn't he.

5JeepsAz
10-05-2019, 01:41 AM
All I think about is paint. I followed some advice and bought a rotary. One could become an artist with that thing. I've burned a bit of paint and a couple edges. Overall though, it could be good. The plan is to slop on this Lukat Fixit detail product using a 4" paint roller over a two feet length. Run the rotary with the yellow pad. Clean pad. Wipe paint. Repeat. That should get the doors done, and the frontice piece where the wipers are. Taking the side mirrors off first. Then do the same process with the sealer. Should be purty. Now these trucks have a cool windshield overhang. Underneath is the same petina. That will be a challenge to do evenly with no burn. Back window will need tape on the rubber, maybe the edge. Anyway, goal is cab all done tomorrow. If it looks as great as hoped, I'll post a pic of the finished cab.

gmwillys
10-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Sounds like it will come out purdy.

5JeepsAz
10-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Ugh. Stripped and grinded and polished. Sooooo close! If she had a bit more original paint I'd keep her as is. Truth is, someone sanded her for paint decades ago and that's what it looks like. So even though the petina is awesome, the pattern just ain't good. Gotta paint. Frowny faces.

On the paint card uploaded into pictures, I'm heading toward 1964 Amber metallic, full paint. Apparently 1964 year had the white lettered tailgate, so that could happen. Probably painting the bed as they didn't do liner the same way back then. Appointment with Maaco today. Not going show quality, want quality daily driver.

5JeepsAz
10-12-2019, 07:45 AM
The paint guy said, I should just clear that right now. Others seem to like the badass Jeep truck aspect. So I'm going to rust the metal, shine up the red, and wax it old school style (just carnuba, not acrylic). See what that feels like driving around. Paint guy created a do-able repainting plan, so I can do that fairly easily after brakes and a/c are done. That way paint is last. The only thing hanging is electric ignition changeover. Still thinking about that. I'll post pics once I've finished the rusto waxing part. All opinions welcome.

LarrBeard
10-12-2019, 12:11 PM
"All opinions welcome.[/QUOTE]

In Arizona you can get away with "patina" cuz you don't have salt and CaCl. Patina is good, it's a Jeep thing.

bmorgil
10-12-2019, 04:12 PM
My son loves the patina. I love the electronic ignition conversion.

5JeepsAz
10-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the comments. They help alot with this build.

Here's from today:

Rusto. Well, fail. Did not like the rusto look. Posted a couple of pics. So you mix up some hydrogen peroxide, salt, and white vinegar, apply to the bare metal, wait, repeat. It looked really cool from about 2 feet. It looked awful from across the parking lot. This is just my 2c, ymmv. I took it off with CLR and washed Cindy in a foam bath. I might wax heavy before paint, if paint takes awhile to decide.

Maaco. So YouTube's says the paint is decent if you have a good shop and are not looking for show quality. Cindy will get stripped bare metal, scuffed, primered. Then it begins. Single stage (clear and paint together) is period correct, so it looks right. However, way better all around is another base coat sanded with paint layer(s) then clear layer(s), called two stage or multistage paint. Here's the funny. Ever see an antique car that was just too pretty? Maybe it's because multistage paint ain't just right, like overdone, like putting email on a wristwatch. It's possible. Basically all opinions as far as paint goes.

I'd like to hear some advice. Oh yeah, the mechanic was not pleased when I said electronic ignition was at the end of the list nowcthat paint is involved. Go figure lol.

bmorgil
10-13-2019, 07:06 AM
I went through exactly what you are thinking about on paint type. I had the body painted off the vehicle. The opportunity for absolute perfection was there. My body shop produces top show quality, very custom show stuff. Chop and Channeling, two many layer paint, candy, pearl all of it. Custom vintage cars 42' Merc's, wow.

I started at a professional paint supplier to the body shops. I told him I wanted it to look just like it did in 1950. He said no mater what paint looks a lot better today. However, the "Fleet" paints those used in large quantities for fleets of vehicles at a time, are super durable, easy to apply and have a very similar look to earlier paint.

At the body shop they started filling and working on all the welds and mild imperfections when an all stop was sounded. Being in Toledo is helpful when you need to see examples of original Willys Jeeps. Low and behold if you want it to look original you had better not smooth out all those imperfections! Some of the replica stuff had to be cleaned up, but all in all, they made it look like it was 1950 all over again. It is a beautiful paint job. It is nicer than original but it looks very similar as near as you can compare it. The body shop loved the way it filled and laid down. It won a first place on it's first outing. I attached a pic of what I used.

5JeepsAz
10-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Bmorgil - a beautiful example! That is simply one terrific Jeep restored. I'm learning just how much went into it. Congratulations. Thank you for showing it.

5JeepsAz
10-13-2019, 08:21 AM
So absolutely positively I know what I'm doing! At this minute, the paint will be put on top of the patina, so as not to remove any originality! This means no stripping. Just scuff it and throw on some single stage. Color is pending. That's what I woke up with. My new plan! I watched a bunch of vintage truck parades on YouTube, is what happened. See, the single stage crowd has period correctness. I like bmorgils paint in the previous post. They didn't do Bondo on a Jeep. They painted some thick, lasting slop that was as functional as anything else. Cindy is a Townside model, meaning not straight off the field, so she would have been waxed for the drive in on Friday night and passable nice. Of course, I reserve rights to change my mind after this cup of coffee.

gmwillys
10-13-2019, 06:33 PM
If you listen closely, your truck will tell you what it wants done.

I stripped our 2A down to the bare metal, and that's the way it has stayed. There had been some vintage body work that had been done, and would have been a shame to cut it out. Panels were repaired by brazing in new pieces. Long story short, some clear was shot over it, and it will stay that way until we decide to give it the whole body and paint treatment.

bmorgil
10-13-2019, 07:36 PM
Man gmwillys, All the original steel is in pretty good shape! You don't see that much anymore on a flat fender.

5JeepsAz
10-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Gmwillys that's a beauty! So good to see some friends with the same part of the process. Love your build!

5JeepsAz
10-13-2019, 10:54 PM
So I am all set. Simple solution. Paint it red, keep it original. Too many issues with color change. I'm going enamel so if it stays nice, great. It will be a period correct, original color repaint resto. As for the new paint going bad, peeling, fading, if it gets bad even better, I know where the good petina is underneath, so I know what new paint can be sanded off to go with that look by revealing only what Iwant underneath. So next time you see her, Cindy will be red!

scoutingranch
10-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Smart Az. I'm a fan of single stage paint and keeping the original color.

LarrBeard
10-14-2019, 09:20 AM
We spend a lot of time planning how we paint our Jeeps. After all, when we’re done with all of the mechanical things we do to get it to run right, the paint job is what everybody else sees.

It’s hard to get a paint job that looks like the original, and that is a good thing. Paint and finish technology has come a long way since the CJ 2A’s rolled out the door at Toledo. When I was planning the paint job on the ’48 truck, I read a lot about vintage paint. Willys-Overland was not noted for the quality of their paint – sad to say.

One writer wrote (as a joke I hope) that the only consideration at Willys in WWII was to get it green and gone. His tongue in cheek claim was that the paint department was a group of barn painters with worn out brushes. When Willys turned to civilian production in 1946, they upgraded and gave the paint department new brushes. Now, we all know it wasn’t that bad, but a 1946 or 1953 paint job would look pretty sad today.

Most 1953 paints were singe stage paints; prime it – paint it and that was the color it was. No top coat to protect and give the shine. (As an aside, when I look at the museum cars at the ACD Museum in Auburn, IN, those display cars with a dozen coats of paint don’t have factory original paint – they look better than they ever did.)

Single stage paints may be authentic, but they have shortcomings, even the modern ones. There is no top coat and if there is a scratch or ding, you can’t buff out of the top coat and reseal it, you have to match the paint. But, single stage paints do look nice when they’re properly applied over a good primer base. Having said all of that, I went with single stage paint for the ’48.

After talking to several paint people, we selected a Metacryl Pro single stage paint that was recommended as a tough, durable paint used on over-the-road rigs. It went on nicely but – as we found out later, it didn’t bond to the primer and I’m in the midst of a paint/primer/painter/insurance company exercise to try to get the paint on the truck done right the second time.

A two stage paint is easier to do repair work on, but just about any modern paint (even put on by MAACO) will make a Jeep look as good as new – and probably better!

5JeepsAz
10-15-2019, 07:59 PM
Cindy is in the paint shop...

5JeepsAz
10-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Sneak peak!!! Before and after ... Get her back Saturday...

gmwillys
10-18-2019, 03:58 AM
Not bad at all. Looks great!

bmorgil
10-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Oh that is looking perfect! A time machine in the making. My Dad was in Quality over the Dana Transfer case line back then. He drove one of those home, as a test for noise for the local Jeep plant. I remember it to this day.

scoutingranch
10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
I like the fact you don't mess around. Get er' done.

5JeepsAz
10-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Here she is. had to color correct the pics to get closer to real deal, but she is exactly what I aimed for. MAACO did perfectly what I described. See Robert in Glendale Az and his crew. Painter has 17 years in that shop, his tech 15. Superb people.

So happy with this build!

bmorgil
10-20-2019, 08:18 AM
The tailgate is classic! One of a kind there!

LarrBeard
10-20-2019, 08:59 AM
I second the notion about the tailgate. Did you clear coat it?

5JeepsAz
10-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Thank you so much for the tailgate comments. That's a huge feature. Had to leave it completely original in the picture window kinda way. A nod to original. Now I can spend ten hours correcting it to bring out the original paint, leave the patina, and let it rust. If it's cool when all that is done, then would be the time to clear it or paint over or leave alone. In progress. I am curious what it looks like so thank you for the comments.

5JeepsAz
10-20-2019, 09:55 AM
So the jeep fever continues. Thought I'd be cured along with the paint. You know what today is? Time to start finding a mounting bracket for the Jeep Air, heater and air conditioning unit. They can supply all the parts but 3 manufactures say they can't do a mounting bracket. wth?!? So now trying to learn what the big deal is about a mounting bracket. I'm assuming it's the compressor. Maybe look at early Cherokees for samples? lol. Jeep fever baby!

bmorgil
10-21-2019, 08:31 AM
You need to search for a picture of one that's for sure. A big help if you could see what it looked like.

5JeepsAz
10-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Bmorgil I will look for pics of wagoneers. Thank you. I do have the spec manual and showed it to the shop guy. It has a rendering of the part. He looked at it and I think what he grunted in mechanic was they will build whatever is needed, don't worry, bring wallet! That's the downside of not having the fabrication skills some here have. They did the bracket for the generator, so I'll trust them. Might cost tho... See next post!

5JeepsAz
10-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Value, budget, theft.

I bought a $5,800 truck , put $4,200 into it, now it's worth about $7,500. I'm going to put five more into it and then stop. My investment will be $15,000, and the truck would sell for $10,000. I'm good with it. Problem of theft. If they pull up with a trailer they will haul it off in minutes and it'll be gone out of country in a day. That would suck. Short of that, I've got it boxed in most of the time, so there will be secure. One risk is parking lots. End off the day, it's worth less than I put into it, and I expect that. So whether it gets stolen or I sell it on, I'll never make the money back. That puts it into the enjoyment category. "Glad I have Cindy for today" type of thinking. I'll keep telling myself that!

bmorgil
10-21-2019, 10:14 AM
HaHa this is why some really nice Jeeps spend their re-conditioned lives in the garage. My insurance allows me to insure for an amount. I put a value on it and that's all there is to it. If I lose it I get up to the amount I stipulate. I also can take it on and off insurance in the winter, when it doesn't get driven.

gmwillys
10-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Invest in a hidden battery disconnect switch, (common on drag cars) and place it in a inconspicuous spot that you can access without looking obvious. Under the dash/seat/or even in the glove box. Better yet, a relay to a switch to where you just have to arm it with a dash switch. This will help to prevent thieves from starting it up when you are out on the town. As far as at home, put up a sign that states that if you can read this, you are within range. Be sure to have a multilingual sign for our southern neighbors to understand.

This is a hobby, and even though the prices are sky high on Epay, the chances of getting what you pay out is very small. Insurance will never cover what you have invested. Maybe outfits like Hagerty Insurance might get you a bit more, but you will still be at a loss.

LarrBeard
10-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Might cost tho... See next post!

Jeep rhymes with Cheap, but it sure ain't.

J E E P - Just Extract Every Penny

When I was going through all of the title paperwork trying to find the paperwork that Indiana threw away, one of the nicer DMV ladies helped me find the original price of a 1948 2WD Jeep truck. The official record said that it would have cost $1,850. Just for giggles and grins, I asked her to look up a 1948 Chevy truck for comparison - $1,350.

Jeeps have never been the least money vehicle, new - used or resurrected.

But they're the most fun ... !

bmorgil
10-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Mad Max had a great anti-theft device in The Road Warrior. I think it was wired to the gas cap. It insured no one got the car or any pieces of it. Not even him. Everyone lost the car but, justice was served immediately to the perpetrators. The anti-theft device sent them straight to hell!

gmwillys
10-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

As another possibility for an acronym.

I just keep the floor starter pedal on the 2A. If they do figure out how to turn the ignition switch on, then they probably won't get time enough to figure out how to start it.

5JeepsAz
10-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Just got an email from a Jeep dealership. 2020 Gladiator still over 40K. I'm winning the lotto!!! lol

LarrBeard
10-22-2019, 06:12 AM
Just got an email from a Jeep dealership. 2020 Gladiator still over 40K. I'm winning the lotto!!! lol

And it's ugly ...

gmwillys
10-22-2019, 08:22 AM
The new ones will look right at home cruising around the mall and Home Depot.

I'd take an original Gladiator any day of the week over a new one.

5JeepsAz
10-22-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm thinking kill switch. My prob with new Jeep's is all the tech. Allergic to it! I found a decent deal for a/c at Jeep Air out of Florida. My shop geniuses will have to figure out the mounting bracket. Apparently nobody with the Tornado 360 engine had an a/c added to their rig in memory otherwise they would have had the template for the bracket. Spec manual has some decent info so should be okay

5JeepsAz
11-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Okay so latest conundrum. Jeep Air can supply all the A/C parts. Except. The bracketry for the compressor. So now, the task is to locate an old bracket for the Tornado 230 and make an identical. How does that happen? Am I on a parts hunt? Help!!

bmorgil
11-05-2019, 07:05 AM
You need a Fabrication guy.

5JeepsAz
11-05-2019, 09:39 PM
What everyone seems to be hesitant about is how to connect to the engine. Nobody knows for sure where it connects. I have the spec manual.

scoutingranch
11-06-2019, 11:21 AM
5jeepsaz...I wish you had never come here as now I started looking for old Gladiators...curse you!!!!!!:D
Oddly, I was watching a Dirty Harry movie two nights ago. It's the one where the nut case is in the school bus with the kids going down the freeway.
About 15 minutes before the end while that bus is still on the freeway, a blueish Gladiator passes them. What are the odds...

5JeepsAz
11-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Yeah baby!!! Sold sold sold!!! You gonna get one?! Lol

gmwillys
11-07-2019, 06:03 PM
People are starting to see the beauty of these Gladiators. The Jeep Commandoes are starting to gain traction for the next popular builds, especially the Hurst version.

5JeepsAz
11-07-2019, 06:36 PM
These things are the real deal. I love mine,,I'm sure everyone here loves theirs. I see lots of old trucks on the roads. so it's a thing.

And a PIA.

Got my pertronix ignitor II in the mail today. The II was recommended by the tool where you put engine in and it tells you what it matches.

A couple of similar options are available for heater a/c. so I will probably stick with the no compressor package. I still have to sort out the bracketry. Hopefully a desert ready compressor reveals itself in the process.

Truck came with a replacement instrument panel. Need to get it tested before install. Have a shop that does it.

Wish this was done!

scoutingranch
11-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Original Gladiators are not easy to find. Since I never buy rusty rides it would make it more difficult. Even if I did, I've flat run out of space. I like the height of the beds on those. Not to high. New trucks should come with lift gates the darn things have been designed to silly heights.

5JeepsAz
11-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Scoutingranch here's my links to find. They show up occasional.

https://denver.craigslist.org/search/cta?auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988&nearbyArea=197&nearbyArea=210&nearbyArea=218&nearbyArea=287&nearbyArea=288&nearbyArea=315&nearbyArea=319&nearbyArea=320&nearbyArea=568&nearbyArea=668&nearbyArea=669&nearbyArea=687&nearbyArea=688&nearbyArea=713&searchNearby=2

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/cta?searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=244&nearbyArea=506&nearbyArea=455&nearbyArea=26&nearbyArea=565&nearbyArea=209&nearbyArea=419&nearbyArea=8&nearbyArea=651&nearbyArea=468&nearbyArea=352&nearbyArea=181&nearbyArea=57&nearbyArea=370&auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/search/cta?searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=63&nearbyArea=244&nearbyArea=43&nearbyArea=709&nearbyArea=455&nearbyArea=104&nearbyArea=7&nearbyArea=285&nearbyArea=565&nearbyArea=103&nearbyArea=209&nearbyArea=18&nearbyArea=419&nearbyArea=8&nearbyArea=62&nearbyArea=710&nearbyArea=352&nearbyArea=181&nearbyArea=208&nearbyArea=346&nearbyArea=370&auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988

https://boise.craigslist.org/search/cta?searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=233&nearbyArea=658&nearbyArea=661&nearbyArea=424&nearbyArea=322&nearbyArea=652&nearbyArea=659&nearbyArea=324&nearbyArea=675&nearbyArea=654&nearbyArea=448&nearbyArea=656&nearbyArea=655&nearbyArea=351&nearbyArea=368&nearbyArea=56&nearbyArea=95&nearbyArea=469&nearbyArea=246&auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cta?searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=63&nearbyArea=43&nearbyArea=709&nearbyArea=455&nearbyArea=104&nearbyArea=26&nearbyArea=285&nearbyArea=96&nearbyArea=565&nearbyArea=102&nearbyArea=103&nearbyArea=209&nearbyArea=8&nearbyArea=191&nearbyArea=62&nearbyArea=710&nearbyArea=181&nearbyArea=208&nearbyArea=346&nearbyArea=370&auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/search/cta?searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=269&nearbyArea=511&nearbyArea=653&nearbyArea=210&nearbyArea=132&nearbyArea=568&nearbyArea=244&nearbyArea=288&nearbyArea=334&nearbyArea=267&nearbyArea=315&nearbyArea=420&nearbyArea=218&nearbyArea=651&nearbyArea=320&auto_make_model=Jeep&max_auto_year=1988

5JeepsAz
11-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Happy Veteran's Day Weekend. To all the Veterans and to your families and friends, thank you for your service and especially thank you for your sacrifices for my freedoms in America and the world. Thank you. God Bless.

5JeepsAz
11-09-2019, 01:44 PM
why include all of Cindy's PII on a public forum? Because the more folks who know, the more likely I get back my Cindy after someone 'borrows' her; a stolen truck or pieces of this truck would show up somewhere and I'm hopeful you'd let me know so we could serve up some Justice if need be. Because knowledge is meant to be shared; I've made a million mistakes on this build and hopefully you avoid some. Because Bros it is another bad *** Jeep Truck build. Enjoy!

gmwillys
11-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Amén on your salute to our Veterans.

It helps to keep close tabs on your builds. Photo and serial numbers recorded are great to file away just in case something were to happen to your truck.

5JeepsAz
11-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Alright so the a/c is in a box in the living room and she's not complaining, and, Walcks looks like the final genius helper on brakes if I can figure out which kind of Brake shoes Cindy wears... A little progress. Still working on the tornado AC compressor bracket. Came close with an alternator bracket but they said they don't have the other

5JeepsAz
11-20-2019, 11:23 PM
Okay, weird. First time seeing one of my earlier Jeep's for sale. Odd feeling. Dude bought it to mod, got part way, life happened, selling it on. I sold it stock, which it's not anymore. Figured you all would understand. Loved that thing!

5JeepsAz
11-26-2019, 12:39 AM
Well Cindy is in the shop. Admire you DIYers, but a man's got to know his limitations etcetera. Anyway, the treasure hunt for a/c bracketry ended up with two brackets in a box with a compressor dropped off today. One is a set of horn shaped sidings with a curved slat for positioning, all ready for welding. The other is a base plate with holes that match the Sanden compressor. So with a fitted base plate and some fins to fabricate from, the resto guy should be able to do it. Funny to me that nobody seems to know where this thing bolted to the engine. And an instrument panel came with the truck. So advised, I took it to get tested. Good thing. Speedo was doubling up. So that's being done and then that will go on this visit too. Steadily moving along here...

LarrBeard
11-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Even Dirty Harry admitted that a man has to know his limitations ....

With the classy bed, new panel and AIR - you're going to have a primo ride when you get done. It will turn heads and get looks!

5JeepsAz
11-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Sort of amazed that the bed is described as "classy". I propose this is because no other word suffices. lmao & thank you for the kind words! I am super excited to make this my daily. All of the parts are lined up so it's all about installation. Well... Brake parts are in process. But dang, this is going to be smiles for miles. Another Heinz Ketchup moment in life....

gmwillys
11-28-2019, 08:49 PM
Classy is an appropriate adjective. I like the utility of the bed.

5JeepsAz
12-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Okay so there are no NOS or replacement brakes or brake parts. Going to modernize but keep drum style brakes. I wanted to change to discs but everything, for me, added up to these drums will work fine when repaired and maintained. Adding and electronic fuel pump. The air-conditioning bracket fits better with it over original. This build is quickly becoming more mod than resto, but damn I want to drive this truck. Visited it in the shop and my heart jumped as I walked up to it. I love it ��!!! Lmao. Adding that strong react to list of getting old and sentimental thing.

bmorgil
12-07-2019, 07:23 AM
Ha ha! I love the nostalgia of the whole thing. That is going to be a sweet ride with air, cruisin' through the Pima McDonald's that's for sure. I think gmwillys has had some bad experiences with brake parts. I had no trouble with the stuff from KW. The only issue I had was a reused brake tee that needed some serious tightening, and the fitting at the master cylinder, though all new, required a good torque to seal the crush washer. I know that gmwillys has written about bad parts and how to avoid them. I think what I got from KW is the USA stuff gmwillys refers to.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/brakes/overhaul-kits/complete-master-brake-kit-11-fits-46-64-truck

5JeepsAz
12-07-2019, 03:57 PM
thank you for that info. Yes looked into all of the packages, wanted to buy one. All are not for this SJ necessarily, they are for mostly the earlier willys truck, or for a different setup than what is on there. As far as we can tell my truck has the next version of brakes and these particular ones are 12" diameter. That means later style and not 11", which means ultra rare, not locatable. Anyway, what's on there led to deciding to "just mod it", rather than convert to what's in an available package. If I'm going to convert, I'll go to discs. The truth is I am not as dedicated to resto because after months of trying, I'd need to adjust the entire approach to stick with resto only. Right now I have a guy down the street who knows the truck and is willing to work on it, and that's way different than finding a guy who would resto the thing perfectly. So... I want a daily driver that can be worked on by a modern day mechanic, so am sacrificing the resto reluctantly. What I am doing is keeping all the original parts so if I or someone else later wants to resto it, it's all there to do right. Probably a massive rationalization. But I want to drive this thing! I hope I'm not making a mistake... essentially, this thing came with big drum brakes that'll do the job, so keeping with orig design, modern guts, easily maintained from here on out..

LarrBeard
12-07-2019, 08:17 PM
No one is going to second guess a decision to upgrade brakes. Getting it to stop is just as critical as getting it to run.

Just remember the phone commercial:

"If the brakes don't stop it, something else will."

NOT a good option

gmwillys
12-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Go with the brake upgrade. You'll never regret the decision after driving it the first day after the retrofit.

Bmorgil is right. I was jaded when using the Crown brake parts.

5JeepsAz
12-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Well today I got a nice minute or three with the old girl. Parts and boxes all the hell over. A/c is mocked up, looks sorted. Dude needed a different compressor with tubes out the back not the top so I was dropping that off. Also dropped off the 'new' instrument cluster. Getting a new electro fuel pump and ignitor as said above. Pretty exciting actually. I like that truck! Oh yeah, brakes. In progress all around.

5JeepsAz
12-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Just read a few threads. This forum has great knowledge. Thank you. The only add I have on my build is the glove box is made out of card board, meaning pre- plastic, not metal. Who knew. So we are going to try to dip it in fiber or rubber or whatever to strengthen but keep original. See how that goes.

LarrBeard
12-16-2019, 04:58 AM
The only add I have on my build is the glove box is made out of card board,

I was able to get a plastic glove box for the '48. It was a great improvement.

5JeepsAz
12-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Well, bearer of awful news. I'm sorry to bring this update on the passing of the young man who was quarterbacking this build as the shop customer service representative. A Christian, a father, a son, a friend, and a coworker, an all around decent human being. For me, he was sheparding this build and me along with it. He's got a permanent ride along in his rest, as I can't imagine driving Cindy without thinking of him often. Sudden, awful, unbelievable. No more words. There isn't one thing I've done on this build he didn't help with, even before I bought the truck. I'm just sorry for his young daughter, mom, mates at the shop. The old foreman treated him as a son. He'll be missed, and when done, he'll smile down. God Bless you my friend.

bmorgil
12-22-2019, 06:42 AM
It is good to hear he will live on in your truck.

gmwillys
12-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Our most heartfelt condolences. He sounded like a stand up man who was wise beyond his years. May he forever ride shotgun in all your adventures with Cindy.

5JeepsAz
12-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Cindy ... Maybe in one month we will have some pictures of this round, completed and road Worthy. It's an old two step.. step one: The trusty mechanic is completing what's on hand. So that's good! And then, step two, you guessed it. Brakes. Guess what? We might be back to a disc conversion. Yep.

bmorgil
12-31-2019, 06:34 AM
As gm said a ways back in the thread, there is nothing bad about a brake upgrade.

5JeepsAz
12-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Absolutely. That's what keeps it going. The comments about brakes on here keep ringing true in my head. I think I'm gonna do the conversion..

5JeepsAz
01-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Count me among the lucky ones who benefit from the betters on this forum. So now I'm convinced to do the break conversion. 4 discs all around. I'm going through KW for a kit. Since they sell a front kit and a back kit I've asked if they can make it one kit. Anything I need to know?

bmorgil
01-04-2020, 07:32 PM
I think you ill be happy with what they have. I am anxious to watch this conversion. I think it will make a huge difference in the way that big girl slows down. You will need those clamps when your rolling down from Flagstaff.

gmwillys
01-04-2020, 07:41 PM
The only thing that comes to mind would be to ensure that the proportioning valve is set up for four wheel disk brakes. If you buy the front kit, it would be most likely set up for front disks and rear drums. Something to check on.

The next item would be to ensure that your wheels will fit over the disk brakes. Original Willys Kelsey Hayes steel 16" or 15" wheels will not fit because they hit the calipers. So you will have to either go to Ford or Dodge 4X4 truck steel wheel to keep the original look.

5JeepsAz
01-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Alright I followed all advice and still ended up in a hole. Help! So I'm doing the order from KW on the front and back disc conversion kits. After some uproar it gets everyone's okay. Now suddenly I have to find a thing called a dual reservoir master cylinder with a adjustable proportioning valve. So my happy *** asks the internet. IOT gives more than one choice. Guidance as to brand? I do not really want a brake pedal sticking out of whatever I buy, so perhaps that can be avoided.

5JeepsAz
01-11-2020, 11:57 AM
I've read lots of threads here and around on this. I'm glad people took the time.

The brakes are not functioning properly.

Replacement drums and lines are are a modification to modern, otherwise unavailable.

Efforts to restore to original failed due to no parts available.

Upgrade to disc is best brake system available.

KW does have the disc brake conversion kit for my axles. (I'm sticking with this as a found solution).

KW does not have matching master cylinder for front and back (dual reservoir adjustor).

Limiting the choice buying a standalone master cylinder.

So... The risk here is put on the discs front and rear, new plumbing, leaving the old in place just because, and having a completed resto with no master cylinder.

But I'm not buying a new master cylinder before seeing the hole it needs to fit in.

Crazy!

I'm about to buy front and rear disc conversion kits for install ... With no master cylinder.

Any comments welcome.

bmorgil
01-11-2020, 12:18 PM
In looking at your Master Cylinder pictures, it appears to look like a GM style mount. Two bolts through the firewall? If so this will do the trick.

https://swperformanceparts.com/MC1321H-PV4SIDE-KIT/

5JeepsAz
01-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Thank you. In progress. Will post updates!

5JeepsAz
01-15-2020, 07:38 PM
We regret to inform you that our warehouse has informed us that we are out of stock on the master cylinder used in this kit and there is currently no ETA on when we will receive more. We will be cancelling and refunding this order. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Argh. Will find another source

bmorgil
01-16-2020, 09:10 AM
These are just standard GM Corvette brake parts. You can also find this at Speedway Motors or any shop that caters to the ARCA Stock car market, or Pro-Mod and the like.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/631210/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N88A7TdUCecY4qyoqdU FYqlSKgJwgQNhQOdehGQOu2Um8HaxHriFqIRoCZpMQAvD_BwE

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631292/10002/-1

5JeepsAz
01-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Thank you for sharing the source and parameters. Boxes arrived today so tomorrow they'll get to the shop. Really appreciate this help, I'd be using duct tape. Hopefully some progress being made on the various installs, pretty freaking exciting!

5JeepsAz
02-11-2020, 03:53 PM
A little progress

LarrBeard
02-11-2020, 05:24 PM
As Pelago said, you turn one bolt - then the next one, and so on.

gmwillys
02-11-2020, 06:30 PM
You'll be able to stop on a dime with change to spare.

Toms51
02-12-2020, 05:08 PM
Such an awesome truck! Best of luck.

okiemark
02-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Some good work there.

5JeepsAz
02-13-2020, 06:40 PM
And now for watheheckizit? And what can it do? Considering an overdrive from Herm if he has. Not sure if it's at this time. And for giggles, contemplating a four on the floor. I like the idea of going freeway speeds. I like the idea of having a granny gear. The most reasonable thing is to leave it original three on a tree. So... Anyone can tell me what is in these pictures?

5JeepsAz
02-13-2020, 08:56 PM
Alright so the internet says this is the A#1 transfer case of all time, the Dana Spicer 18. So that's good. And, it may take a relatively cheap overdrive. Waiting to hear on that. I walked right into the coolest truck that ever lived! My wife corrected me, "No. You love her. It's okay". I was too busy dreaming of Cindy to properly evaluate the true meaning of the comment. Time will tell. Dana Spicer 18 Baby!!!

bmorgil
02-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Properly built, the Dana 18 is overkill for anything but a big block. The military was not interested in breaking down. The entire drive train to this day, will work in most modern day 1/2 ton trucks without a problem. In fact Dana 44's can still be found there. My Son and his friends consistently abuse these power trains in some wild rock and mud rides!

Long ago I helped a few Baja teams with their power trains. I was also part of a Sacramento California Rubicon team. I can tell you they take some amazing abuse!

5JeepsAz
02-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Ok some Herm the Overdrive Guy does sell an overdrive for my rig. That's good. I need to count splines on some part off the transfer case. Hey, here's a picture of the Pro Comp Series 82 steel wheels going on. Bought them because they are white which is close to original color, and rust not an issue here in the desert. Hope they fit over the disc brakes..

5JeepsAz
02-22-2020, 12:44 AM
Getting excited to drive this thing. Uploaded a cool pic of a jeepers creepers pad sitting in the bed. Maybe I can buy it off the shop? All boxes and pieces right now. I think we are down to this. If everything fits and works, what is left is sourcing a master cylinder, maybe, if the one in there can't push enough fluid. And. Hopefully all the things the instrument cluster measures are sending good info. For example, if the fuel tank isn't giving the right fuel level that will have to be addressed. Oh, yeah, and the emergency brake. Dang it. The promise date of Feb 31st could be a ways off. A couple of things I decided. I'm going to rust the letters on the tailgate, not paint. I'm going to add a third break light to the top of the bed. And some other stuff. It is like just shy of 80 degrees in the desert and Cindy needs to be out running.

gmwillys
02-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Check eBay for a Jeepers Creepers. You should be able to find some vintage pieces that would complement Cindy.

5JeepsAz
03-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Nothing. Nada. Absolute zero. "Yes we are checking the list off!" "Hey here's the running total!!" "Nah, haven't found that part yet". So I propose the following solution to myself. And... I vote Yes! Oh wait. There is no solution. I just sit and wait. Greeeaaat. !!!

5JeepsAz
03-06-2020, 12:16 AM
Well, that's cool did anyone know that in Rambo First blood during the truck heist part that he passes a J-Truck right before crossing the bridge before running the roadblock before blowing up the gas station? Awesome!

bmorgil
03-06-2020, 07:18 AM
The waiting is apparently so bad you have resorted to old Stallone movies! My son's Jeep had "Jeepers Creepers" painted on the quarters. It came from Michigan somewhere. I think it was a small Jeep club. I think a few used that. You may have to resort to creating your own reproduction. Or you could wait for the next Rambo flic.

gmwillys
03-06-2020, 10:39 AM
If Memory serves, wasn't there a J truck in the Kevin Bacon movie Tremors? Seems to stick in my mind..... More useless knowledge if correct.

bmorgil
03-06-2020, 10:54 AM
This will keep you busy.

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Willys_model-Jeep+Pickup+Truck.html

Trailabite
03-06-2020, 03:26 PM
If Memory serves, wasn't there a J truck in the Kevin Bacon movie Tremors? Seems to stick in my mind..... More useless knowledge if correct.

What truck did Val and Earl Drive in tremors?
Tremors. 1965 Jeep Gladiator J200 while working as handy men in and around Perfection. The side of the truck reads 'V. E. Odd Jobs'.

It was also used in Tremors 2

gmwillys
03-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Great research Bmorgil and Trailabite. I remembered it being in there, but not the details. Thank you Guys!

5JeepsAz
03-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Friends to ease the pain. Y'all all must have been through this. Ok, so the wife and I had lemonades and she is buying me a couple of msthbox gladiators and s Gladiator watch off of eBay. Gotta go for awhile. Back later. Edit. 2.5 minutes later. I'm back and monitoring post. Lmao

gmwillys
03-07-2020, 09:24 PM
All I get is "you bought more Heep parts....ugh."....

5JeepsAz
03-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Latest update? Sure, let's make those brakes power. Corvette master cylinder? Yessir. So, here we go. I'm going to wait on the overdrive. See how I like the column shift before deciding on the transmission in general. More and more I admire y'all all DIYers. I feel like a mall crawl Rubi owner in this joint!

gmwillys
03-09-2020, 07:54 PM
No mall crawler. You are adding a modern twist to a classic that you can guarantee that you will be the only one in the neighborhood has. Anyone can owe a car payment, then drop a bunch more to make it "unique". Cindy is all yours, and will live on for the next fifty years. Rome wasn't built in a day, so enjoy the journey.

5JeepsAz
03-12-2020, 09:13 PM
I can do that. For some reason I've been drawn to stories told online by those with an earned reality, who have learned through the hardest experiences to earn each day and enjoy the good stuff. This forum seems like the best among a very decent and good crowd. I saw Cindy today. Man do I need to be driving a Jeep truck while the world comes to full stop. Yet another opportunity for us to reflect before we move forward. The last time I felt like this was in an empty New Orleans after Katrina. We had the perfect chance to rebuild that city as a modern beacon. We did not. Right now we can reset, refocus, and reform so much that deserves to be better in society. I hope we do. Except I hope they finish my jeep so I can be cool doing it. Lol

5JeepsAz
04-03-2020, 10:29 PM
Well, well, well. The bastards done made a mistake. Texted me on my new flip phone that my Jeep Gladiator was all done and ready. I trotted over there with a stack of one dollar bills and paid the ransom!!! My my my. Fellers, she is so pretty. She has these little nobs that when you pull one she just up and starts doing things. This one thing. Called a choke, actually increases and decreases idle when you pull or push it. This other one over here, you turn it and dang it, cold air blows out of some holes right at your knees!!! I put my boot right on the softest pedal you ever saw. Eased into a braking stop like eating a whole banana split. Wow. I got home and drove right over this new fence I put up for protection. No problem! Went right over it like nothing with these new trailer wheels I got now. So instead of driving her around, I dutifully attended webinars and group meetings on the zoom channel. Whole new world. When I had free time I ran out to reaffix the fencing. It's tacked up good for overnight. I will be up and driving early early, before another round of meetings. Who works on a Saturday during a virus shutdown? Right? Anyway, then I will take the bride out on a date to see the town and get ice cream. At some point after that, I'll take some pictures and post em up. Glory glory hallelujahs. My Cindy has come home!

bmorgil
04-04-2020, 06:40 AM
And the mistake? Did you maintain 6', wash your hands, wear a mask? A running 4 wheel drive vehicle is the definition of "Essential"! Smart move picking her up. You may just need it.

The fence on the other hand... explain yourself.

I can't wait to see the pic's. It sounds like you have a classic daily driver that's a beauty!

LarrBeard
04-04-2020, 07:38 AM
You said; " I put my boot right on the softest pedal you ever saw. "

Then you drove through a fence?

Do you still have brake issues?

5JeepsAz
04-04-2020, 05:30 PM
So, explanation.

First, the brakes. Heck yes, they work. Before the pedal was hard. Now the pedal is soft. It's a vacuum system. But yes, they work perfectly.

Second, the fence. I drove over it like an idiot.

Third, there was a line at the DQ drive thru. So we had a great drive, but no ice cream just yet.

I am completely stoked. This is a badass jeep truck. Just need to learn how to drive it.

bmorgil
04-04-2020, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking by "soft" You mean you don't have to push on the pedal very hard. In auto techno babel, a soft pedal is a bad thing. Brakes that require minimal brake pedal effort with a solid feeling pedal are a good thing.

D.Q. is boarded up here.

gmwillys
04-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Great to hear that you are back up and running... Even if the fence became a casualty. Power brakes on your Cindy has to be a whole new experience.

5JeepsAz
04-04-2020, 11:40 PM
Oh. duh. I remember the soft pedal thing. No, not soft. Functioning wonderfully.

Brakes smoothly and safely. The brake pedal does effect the engine rpm. A pedal pump reset at a light brings everything back to normal if needed. I think that means add break fluid at some point? Everything is tuned right, right now. ??

Overall it's a gentle, powerful feel. Slower off the line than modern cars, but it gets along.

Steering wanders like it should and like I want it to, like an old truck, but it is not modern in anyway.

suspension is better even though it was not addressed. I think they did two u-joints. It just feels right underneath you. That could be tires, wheels, joints, grease. All together the ride is very nice. To the point where I actually identified it as a three speed pick up (as 'I'm in third I would love fourth, but it will never be there, a limitation, oh yeah, it's a three speed').

Air conditioning is a great. I'll drive it more. First impressions are it was not built for a/c. The upgraded alternator, fuel pump, cooling, and ignition do matter to spin the compressor. The truck didn't mind the load, but it's like a dog on a leash at times. It would rather not be troubled with an ac compressor. More on that when the heat hits.

So it is working to the point where normal stuff like wander and shifts fit into known categories. I'm getting used to it.

It sits higher on fifteens than some midsize trucks with bigger tires. Also, looking out over the hood it felt like a jeep view for the first time.

I'll post pics of the new stuff to see what you think. I did not get to spend the kind of time with the shop that I wanted. felt bad after all they put into it. I was between meetings, picked it up, got a few pointers, took off. So that sucked.

Since I've had it back I am some relieved. That was weighing on me more than I knew. So the elation of having it, tempered by this world crisis, is confused.

Anyway, driving it I found the way somebody used to put their hand on the wheel. I was trying different hand positions and it was like 'oh, this is how old dude did it, put his hand right here to steer'.

And, yes, the dudes who drive a length behind you just staring. lol. I always wonder what they are thinking.

And last, the freeway. Mechanic said 60 all day, not 70. So I found that to be true. No problem on the freeway, no wander, no heat, no bumps. Funny, an old jeep got on my tail and followed for some distance.

I'll post some pics. Interested to know what you think of the work!

bmorgil
04-05-2020, 06:43 AM
Man you are livin' it right now! There is nothing better than getting to know your classic.

You can remedy the Idle issues with power brakes with a vacuum reserve can https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63010/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SKpZhKybgPNN3q_5D4 mQPjkHW7W0jGF0a_7gKmg9-C6l6v2b8gh9ERoCRWgQAvD_BwE it comes with a one way check valve.

On the steering wander, it shouldn't feel out of control just not like your Mercedes! In all seriousness, the straight front axle steers quite different from independent front suspension. It will jump more on the bumps for sure. It should track nice and straight on a smooth road however. If you feel it is wandering too much have your man check the toe, and front suspension parts.

Pictures Man!!!

LarrBeard
04-05-2020, 09:04 AM
"Steering wanders like it should and like I want it to, like an old truck, but it is not modern in anyway."

Then it is probably just right. The '48 wanders as it goes down the road. If there is a wheel groove in the lane I'm in, it wants to follow that groove. Part of the way down Minich road there is a stretch that makes it seem like I'm heading for the ditch - but now that I'm used to the steering I know it's not going anywhere. Just let 'er follow her head and she'll go where you want her to go.

You'll know you have gotten it right when people walk up to you in parking lots and start asking questions about the truck. You will be surprised at how many folks had one "just like that" one time or another.

Just smile to yourself and say "Yeah, sure. There's never been one like this"

5JeepsAz
04-07-2020, 10:14 PM
well boys, looks like we did it.

5JeepsAz
04-07-2020, 10:17 PM
Drove for an hour and a half or two hours today. Freeways, traffic, a regular route. All tests passed. My new daily driver!!!

5JeepsAz
04-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Okay so update.

Truck is done for now.

(I need window felt, overdrive, spare tire carrier adjustment, tunes, and the best mod ever, window wipers that spray water, third brake light, dang it -keep forgetting to throw the block in for e!regency brake situations..).

Breaks are superb. I'm learning where they are. Really, they are so much better than anything I've ever driven that it's driver error when I hit them wrong. I am so glad I went all around. People who are expert in this stuff might know a better way, but I am pleased with stopping power.

Steering is how it should be, really. I don't see an advantage to power steering for this truck. Exactly right on just knowing what it does. Once I found old dudes hand rest (I swear he wore the steering wheel down), it all made sense. This is going to be really really fun running trails once I get good at it. Currently not competent: I made a Uturn on a four Lane road and of course drove over opposite curb and sidewalk. Now, I did not, repeat did not run over the fire hydrant. And, I did execute the Uturn. Also, I haven't hit the fence since the first day. So overall, steering solved.

Power is great, especially for a three speed half ton long bed.

Stance is superb. Thing sits up with most half tons and this has little time and no lift. I see over traffic. Like the nose which does not dip like on a two wheel drive.

I couldnt walk after driving it first time, now I have a pillow so the seat is fine.

The most striking difference other than brakes is window tint. That this was a cooker in the sun. Now, much cooler.

Air conditioner is great so far. We will see how it does at 110+.

I'm happy.

Thanks for all the direct advice andcfor this whole forum.

bmorgil
04-08-2020, 05:59 AM
I totaly love it! A perfect meld of old and new. Completely functional.

The high ground clearance and ability to climb, is there so curbs and such no longer matter.

okiemark
04-08-2020, 08:08 AM
That pickup looks great!

gmwillys
04-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Looks great!

5JeepsAz
04-10-2020, 12:35 PM
Went back to the shop a couple times for post operative follow ups...

1) water pump is leaking. Mechanic said it's a priority. I could put some aluminum type sealer in there but both of them said replace or blow up. What's the priority on this?

2) truck drank a quart of oil. It sits at one quart low, and sits and sits there. Thoughts?

3) modern cars have a trigger to increase idle when air conditioner is operating. This truck does not. Thoughts on adding an idle adjuster? It requires gas pedal at stop lights if the AC is on... (Mechanic said don't use choke to increase idle at stop lights)

bmorgil
04-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Water pump in Arizona in April is a priority. In May it is a problem.

Got to find the leak. Clean it all very well. Use an oil dye and black light to find it. Since it seems to like to leak out more the fuller it is, check the oil pan gasket. It is also possible if it has been sitting a while, it just needed to run a bit to "seal back up". Not uncommon if it has been sitting.

The idle is also a common issue and, easy to fix, though a bit pricey. Much better than one foot on the gas to make it idle. Buy one of these and the necessary brackets and have your mechanic wire it up. It is wired to the compressor "on" hot wire. When the compressor is energized so is the idle solenoid. The idle is then controlled by the solenoids adjustment. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-solenoids-and-brackets

gmwillys
04-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Coolant is a priority. If the coolant is coming from the weep hole, then it is the internal seal allowing coolant out and into the bearing.

Oil at the full mark on the dipstick, doesn't always mean that's where the engine likes the level to be. If after losing a quart, then the level maintains from there on out, then I would reduce the amount of oil put in during services by half a quart, 5 quarts instead of 5 1/2.

5JeepsAz
04-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Thank you.

From the internet:

A "weep" hole leak, or leak underneath the water pump, will indicate a water pump failure. There is no quick fix for this problem. A new water pump replacement must be performed for this symptom, as there will be no remedy to stop this type of leak.

So Willy's has one for my engine. Now going down the rabbit hole of whether it's in stock.

Gonna pass on the AC solenoid deal for now. Guys saying they have to hit the gas pedal to allow it to operate, which is what I'm doing now to up the idol. We will see how annoying it becomes.

The oil leak is under investigation.

Hey I've put a couple hundred miles on it. Hellraisers seem to like it. Today some bald overly tan gentleman at a bus stop with thumbs and arms up jumped out yelling across the road at me sitting there in the left turn lane, "Hey old skoool! Beautiful truck!!!"

bmorgil
04-11-2020, 06:43 AM
The solenoid will cycle the idle without any help, as long as it is installed correctly. That is the factory design for GM cars since the beginning of air conditioning on auto's. As they get old or weak, or if they are not installed correctly, they can cause you to have to bump them. The Air conditioning compressor will cycle on and off as it needs to to prevent freezing. Typically this solenoid is used on carburated vehicles or, non electric throttle controlled engines, to pick up the idle when required. Whenever the air conditioner compressor kicks on or on some cars, the power steering pump. You shouldn't have any trouble. It's a pretty tried and true system.

LarrBeard
04-11-2020, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=5JeepsAz;11929]Went back to the shop a couple times for post operative follow ups...

1) water pump is leaking. Mechanic said it's a priority. I could put some aluminum type sealer in there but both of them said replace or blow up. What's the priority on this?

This is indeed a priority, especially in AZ. Don't use the aluminum sealer or any sealer. It will eventually seal up something you don't want sealed - like the thermostat or radiator tubes.

2) truck drank a quart of oil. It sits at one quart low, and sits and sits there. Thoughts?

Put in a pint. See if it stays at that level. If it does, try another pint. Watch for leaks at oil pan gasket, around seals and any gasketed surface that has oil on the other side. It may just want to be a bit low. Old trucks will tell you how much of a fluid they want, transmission lube, differential, engine oil and even coolant.

They can be like trying to feed a little kid, if you insist they take all you think they need, you will end up wearing it (or your garage floor will ...)

okiemark
04-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Have you tried increasing the idle speed just enough that it keeps running when the AC comes on to see if that's too much of a pain when the AC is not on?

5JeepsAz
04-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Ordered the water pump from Willy's Americans. Waiting for some complicated response.

The oil went down after yesterday's drive around, not as much as the first drop. A great drive. So now I'm hunting the leak. My hunch is everyone's right. The seals need to get soaked. It doesn't like full. And I'm going to find something to tighten, reseal, or fix.

The AC deal is more complicated. I have the original Holley carb and the solenoids are fit to different carburetors. So the new part sometimes covers up the idle screw or whatever, etc. It's a figment issue. The other way to go is to fab the bracket and use whatever solenoid works best. In the meantime, yes we upped the idle but this is beyond that. When the AC is operating at full stop, the RPMs must be increased. I'm just going to rest my foot on the gas pedal. It's not that much. I was thinking yesterday that it works fine in low traffic. But if I get stuck downtown in heavy traffic with no long runs between stops at 110+, might have to change my mind.

bmorgil
04-11-2020, 11:29 AM
Downtown Phoenix at 110 degrees in the shade, with a manual shift and one foot controlling the idle. You are the Man!

LarrBeard
04-11-2020, 05:24 PM
...So now I'm hunting the leak..

Watch for a drip out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing. A sneaky leak past the rear main seal that dumps into there.

5JeepsAz
04-15-2020, 03:57 PM
So Cindy is back in the shop...

The shop is taking the water pump off, mailing it to Willy's America. Then something happens. They either fix mine or send a working replacement. Once they get the part back, it goes on. Couple weeks, apparently. I authorized an hour or two to hunt the oil leak while it's in there. I pay for the part, 2X shipping, and the shop work. On the bright side, I definitely jumped into my truck, and drove my truck over to the shop. So it's wait until my truck gets out off the shop. That's a good feeling.

5JeepsAz
04-20-2020, 05:23 PM
Well Cindy is having a time at the spa.

2 Oil leaks. One at oil pump where it connects to motor. One at dampener around the seal where it extends from the block. Both being resealed. No other leaks found.

Water pump is gallavanting around the west. Supposed to get to Cali tomorrow. I'll call to make sure it arrives and determine what will happen next, hopefully in an orderly fashion.

LarrBeard
04-21-2020, 08:38 AM
2 Oil leaks. One at oil pump where it connects to motor. One at dampener around the seal where it extends from the block. Both being resealed. No other leaks found.

The good news is that you found it! I hate mystery leaks - and they do exist. Was this a new/different/rebuilt water pump or the original?

5JeepsAz
04-21-2020, 09:06 PM
We hope it is found. Problem is the sneaky leaks you all describe cropping up when the rest of the system tightens up. For now, yes, oil leaks found and under repair.

Read a bunch of these build threads today, including a catch up on the Big Epic, darn thing is out. Man can you deep dive into these things.

So Willy's American said they got the part. Not sure what was sent by the shop. A core or the whole mount. Anyway, she said they will get to it later this week early next, to repair. Or. If they get in there and it's beyond repair, they pull one off the shelf. Either way, mailed back to the shop next week.

5JeepsAz
04-22-2020, 12:20 PM
So with the truck in the shop anyway going ahead with the fuel send fix and the speedometer fix.

With the oil leak and water leak fix, that will be the whole resto!

Well, except for the roof carpet and interior insulation and camper shell. And the E brake. And the refit for the spare underneath.

Lol.

Making progress!

LarrBeard
04-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Making progress, yep.

"the whole resto..", you've got the bug now - how about LED headlights so you can really see where you're going??

Then there is ... always just one more little thing.

5JeepsAz
05-01-2020, 05:33 AM
Adding headlamps. So Willy's America is good people. Talked with them and got a fuller explanation. Bunch of seasoned wrenchers from the sounds of things. I got the email today that the pump is back in the mail heading home. Still a few steps since it comes here and then I trot it over to the shop etc.

5JeepsAz
05-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Add engine dampener to list. Looks like a custom fix due to no parts available.funny how 50yo rubber bushing will disintegrate. Ugh.

bmorgil
05-02-2020, 10:56 AM
You never want to have "nothing to fix"!

5JeepsAz
05-04-2020, 09:11 PM
So Willy's Americans out of Sonoma county gets an A+. No fuss no muss. Got the water pump back all painted. Came with the gasket . Lets hope it works out of the box. The dampener wheel went right back into the same box. it's a heavy metal wheel around a decaying husk of rubber around a shaft, so it'll travel to OR to get fixed up by Dale the "I only fix three things a day" antique dampener fixer guy. Hopefully see that part again in a week or so. Meanwhile, no progress on the speedo nor the fuel send, so the guages will get looked at this week. Met the new shop foreman. Also bought some braces for the fence i run over occasionally and for the tonneaau. Dunno. Maybe that's being productive...

bmorgil
05-05-2020, 06:10 AM
Totally productive. I have to see pictures of the "fence". Any before and after and after shots? Is the fence kinda like the sand trap at the end of a drag race track? The emergency brake so to speak? Or is it like the tennis ball hanging from the rafter, their to let you know its time to stop?

5JeepsAz
05-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Killin me! It's a POS premade box store picket fence, sectional with "flex" connection design, painted to match the neighborhood acceptable desert sands coloration. See here, this fence is upheld by steel spikes! So really, it flexes side to side in the ground because the foundational spikes work loose. And, it has mid sectional "flex" design engineering created by placing the two 8foot pieces approximately close, drilling a straight connector spline across the gap, attaching only to the toppice piece of the box store quality "easy crack" pinewood 2X4, creating the desired loose tight fit for maximum give and bend, but never break upon impact. Notably, the vehicle dimensional width is only up to two inches less than the fence containment area at Max width, like backing the jeep vehicle into a cardboard box Similarly, it is upon exit that the JEEP GLADIATOR 2DR LONG BED PICKUP TRUCK rear bumper attempts to grab the steel spikes or fence picket. It is thought that by adding additional bracketry the mechanism will stabilize the fence and if placed properly will allow the outward facing flange of the bent out rear bumper a slide away feature to ease in and out without dragging alongside the entirety of the fence, either in 8 foot unattached form, or still connected 16 foot length. Also, the purpose of the fence is to prevent local troublemakers from thinking they can access the vehicle at all without causing absolutely a calamity, allowing the fence parameters to include noise making and banging sounds heard within a reasonable but not obnoxiously far off distance. . I'll attach a picture when repairs are completed.

bmorgil
05-07-2020, 03:59 PM
I can see how much that fence means to you now. Can you also post some shots of when it reaches out and grabs the bumper? It would be spectacular if you hooked it and drug it down the street!

LarrBeard
05-07-2020, 05:43 PM
I think it's a love- hate relationship!��

5JeepsAz
05-16-2020, 12:26 AM
Sorry for the delay. Been waiting on my truck. Just missed getting her back today, so hoping early next week.

Thing about the fence, it's same thing as losing your favorite toy when you were a kid cause you lent it to some derelict who moved away. All you got left is the box the toy came in. So you read the box fifty times. Anyway, I study that fence, since my toy is in the shop! I'll get your picture when the truck comes back. I did paint the fence again. And I did put on newish brackets. Hey I wonder if there's a fence forum?!?

So this guy gets an A+. Harmonic Balancer Rebuilding/ Repair at Dale Manufacturing, Oregon. Mailed him the thing and it came back yesterday as ordered.

Now they've got to put it on.

Oh, and cancel the speedometer fix and the fuel send fix. No idea what took so long oncthst. Need parts and I'll be damned if that thing sits there another minute awaiting parts. I'll get to it.

And, big celebration, I finally went through some boxes and looky here. Found the other original door arm rest! These are somewhat ugly, but original. Soap, water, screw em in. I'll have the complete interior. Thought I only had the one armrest.

Which brings me to the point of today's rant. I was watching YouTube of the Collins bro guy that you know out of texas who fixes old jeeps and sells em on. Looks to be back in business. Anyway, he drove a three tree on video. Old bronco. Cool deal. Gave me confidence my two foot throw is correct. There's a detent on mine after it's in gear where the shifter sits back up at 3 o'clock. So I like my setup for solid. Just need to keep after it.

That being said, I can see why dudes want a new old car. I can see why they drop 20, 30, more grand. But not for me. I want an old old car. Just make it run. No need to be perfect. Modernize to the point of my happiness. I know this thing wouldnt sell for what I half what I have in it. That's not the point. After a year and a half, here ya go, one personally built POS old jeep truck. And I wouldn't want it any other way. She's perfect!

Now just to get her back inside her fence. Like you said, pictures to follow...

bmorgil
05-16-2020, 06:24 AM
I cannot wait for more detail on the fence!

Some things cannot be purchased, no matter how much cash you have. You own one of those things.

gmwillys
05-16-2020, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't take any amount of money for our 2A. It leaks, and half the time the battery doesn't hold a charge. Still, she is a member of our family.

5JeepsAz
05-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Agree both. It's one of these sinks in life where a bunch of people from disparate backgrounds unify around a project, intermittently but intensely forming a tightly bonded group of unique individuals forged (in fire) into a common pursuit of jeep builds. Holy **** I can't believe I just wrote that sentence. Ha! Anyway, I'm glad to be with like minded folks who love their builds. Not even just keeps, although Willy's Jeep is why we are all of us here. Like everything else when you get old, looking back all my cars have led to this one. What scares me is I keep reading the want ads. What do I need with another build? Absolutely nothing. But there it is. I will say with gratitude that without this forum my truck would be worse. Looking forward to a day soon when mine is running and driving and I can check out yours and other people's build progress around here. New ideas don't you know. God I hope I get her back tomorrow. I saw this one guy who bought two so only one would be in the shop at any given time. Things that make you hmm.

5JeepsAz
05-23-2020, 09:47 PM
Of course it's still in the shop! Scary version? Last words I heard were, well, we still have to test drive it. Then radio silence. It was engine work, the dampener and water pump, so they should test and fix all they want to get it right. But it's not good when the good news is after this cool down over memorial weekend when I could have been driving all over gods creation in my jeep truck, instead, I get to test the a/c when we top 111 degrees in the desert next weekend!!!

5JeepsAz
06-05-2020, 02:45 AM
I now have a fuller understanding why so few of these things are daily drivers. Tried the squeaky wheel approach. Being myself, I almost got thrown out. Also being myself, I almost succeeded! And, will. But not that day.

Fast forward a week, and a new opportunity to steal back my truck presented itself. So, today, spent 5 hours with the old girl. Thought she was ready for pick up. Failed final inspection. While they were tinkering and talking mechanic over a oil light (the last time I cared about an oil light was never, so I am glad they took an interest in it), pulled out one of my better tactical solutions.

See, when you are auditing a joint, they don't want you there. So they make you wait. Alas, the ingenious auditor says, oh great, this will give me time to talk with clients! The auditor then begins to stroll from station to station, making friends of customers and workers alike. Generally speaking, within 7 minutes the desired leader becomes suddenly available for consultation meetings lasting as long as the auditor prefers.

Such as it were, the shop foreman was on that engine all day. (I'm not sure whether suggesting to another customer to join a protest is popular topic in mixed company?) He was running the shop and wrenching my truck simoltaneously, an impressive show of professionalism. Especially considering I was not leaving the truck for any reason, not even 111 reasons in the dessert sun. Hell, I worked from my phone, always within arms resch of that truck..

First, we did find, hehe, we, anyway, he did find a piece of metal shaving inside the distributor. Thought was, that little thing zapped and disrupted the whole shebang. Man he pulled wires, repeated number sequences like 1,6,4,3,2 or whatever, must have redone the sparkplug wires three times, the distributor also, until finally he took it all off again and pulled it apart.all looked A1. Then he found the metal bit, played stickem with his little magnet,etc. the shavings, source unknown, we suspect flew into cap and sat undetected, were removed. Dang truck started first try.

Anyway, long and short. Not done. We are down to an oil pump issue.

So back to the important things. Below, interested jeepers will find a picture of one outward facing flange extension, bumper, some paint, fence, on some paint, truck, and a cool handmade deal that impressed me so much I snapped a picture. This lead mechanic fashioned it in record time for the external retainer on the oil pump.

I gotta give it to this shop. They had no idea I was such a PIA customer. New owner , new foreman, new customer service agent. My one original guy is a genius, so I know it'll get done, because no quit in him.

Probably tomorrow!!!

bmorgil
06-05-2020, 06:16 AM
I love this saga, this tale is epic! I am quite familiar with the audit technique. My brother is a former Global Director of Quality Control. I would say you are the Tank in a Bow and Arrow battle. If you lived next door, we'd hammer that old girl out! It sounds like you have two persistent players on hand. You and your original mechanic. That's really all it takes. There's no computer to "brick" in the Auto's OBD/CAN Hybrid processor control system. Just a motor and a power train all mechanical. If you have an "Old School" mechanic (the gasket indicates it) it will come around.

I love the fence eating bumper. The paint scar is a testament to the battle. Your Willys needs a name.

LarrBeard
06-05-2020, 08:27 AM
"Your Willys needs a name."

Like most of our Jeeps it probably does have a name, but if we used it here Miss Amy would be on us like a settin' hen on a stray cat.

5JeepsAz
06-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Oh she has a name...thought I would have shared this before but its worth a re-do. So I'm cleaning up an earlier Jeep that lived in the mountains. Years of filth. Took a few scrubs. One of these times was before the new jeep truck came out. Not sure what happened. Originally, I'm at the local carwash. Suddenly I was at a dealership. Apparently I wandered over to the local jeep store. Hundreds of Jeeps. All kinds of trims. All open. So I started at one end and sat in every one, learning about all the trimmings. In case I bought the 2020 jeep truck. Well, three hours into that I realized I was MIA, so I texted the wife. Auto correct said Hi Cindy, having a great time in the jeeps. Love me. Yup. Except my wife's name is not Cindy. After a few photos verified I was in a Jeep dealership, my first love named whatever truck I ended up with. The name my bride chose? Cindy!

bmorgil
06-05-2020, 12:12 PM
I see it now! holy smokes its in the title of the thread! Well I am glad I asked, I love the way it got the name. I have to wonder is this a bit of jealousy between the two ladies? Perhaps the fence fight is between them and you are caught in the middle?

Trailabite
06-05-2020, 02:35 PM
Oh she has a name...thought I would have shared this before but its worth a re-do. So I'm cleaning up an earlier Jeep that lived in the mountains. Years of filth. Took a few scrubs. One of these times was before the new jeep truck came out. Not sure what happened. Originally, I'm at the local carwash. Suddenly I was at a dealership. Apparently I wandered over to the local jeep store. Hundreds of Jeeps. All kinds of trims. All open. So I started at one end and sat in every one, learning about all the trimmings. In case I bought the 2020 jeep truck. Well, three hours into that I realized I was MIA, so I texted the wife. Auto correct said Hi Cindy, having a great time in the jeeps. Love me. Yup. Except my wife's name is not Cindy. After a few photos verified I was in a Jeep dealership, my first love named whatever truck I ended up with. The name my bride chose? Cindy!

And she will never forget that you called her Cindy! lol

5JeepsAz
06-06-2020, 05:48 PM
They are good people at AAMCO Glendale on 51st - normal Americans, great diversity on staff, men and women mechanic, talk to Tony up front. Military discount and always fix what isn't working to get you back on the road.

5JeepsAz
06-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Man, grinning ear to ear!

These dudes built me a hotrod jeep truck. Lots of Willy's Jeep forum help too. Thanks!

I went for a drive last night. Just one good shift out of the first three hundred, my bad, but that one told me this thing is smooth as silk mechanically. Nice ride too. Love the bias ply tires. Happened onto one of these freeway ramps where there is no option for street. So I went north along the retaining wall. Damn. Exhaust bouncing off a concrete wall at speed. Sounded perfect!

Got off on the streets in rush hour. It's work, but exactly what I wanted.

I own a running and driving, actual 2 door long bed bad *** Jeep Truck with no electronic tech.

Took the whole drive to get back into how to drive it. Getting better but long ways to go.

This morning adjusted the idle up, again later, and that cured the a/c issue.

So this thing is sorted!

Oh yeah. I ran over the fence again. Actually scraped some truck paint this time. Oh well. Here's your fence picture!

bmorgil
06-06-2020, 07:01 PM
The fence is possessed! I can see it reaching out for the bumper on its own!

It sounds like you deserve that truck. Only a few love the sound of the pipes like that. I totally understand it.

bmorgil
06-07-2020, 06:22 AM
I went back and looked at some of the pic's "under Cindy's hood". The Air and Brakes fit right in there like it came that way. They did a good job for you. You should have some years of fun with that set up!

5JeepsAz
06-07-2020, 12:04 PM
I would post more engine pictures but haven't figured out how to reduce the size to fit. It's a beautiful job. You would like looking at it. One day an ice tea bull session over an open engine bay! So this fence, it was built out of fear .... Maybe that's why it is an evil little *******. The only other place to park off the cement is under this tree. But that would disrupt an agreement with my neighbor for his kids to park when they stay with family. I guess it is my personal responsibility to figure out how to park the vehicle I have chosen and am blessed with, in it's right place, and hold. That does not mean I am a somehow gifted with driving skills. It just means fit and forgive! Anyway, I need to go back and read who mentioned upping the idle. That was a good idea. And get this, still losing oil. So I'll try that pint at a time suggestion to see what's what. I have this deep sense this one runs a quart low, and likes it thataway. Really appreciate your thoughtful insights!

5JeepsAz
06-07-2020, 12:22 PM
On the other, well the wife gave me a curtsey! Explain this one. I was informed Cindy is not my daily driver. Use as a weekend and date vehicle only. God grabbed my tongue mid sentnece and said, "Honey, you are my only love, and Cindy is just what I drive to work, and I love you". Then the curtsey. Then I got a perfectly cooked pork loin. Go figure.

bmorgil
06-09-2020, 08:24 AM
Congrats on the "curtsy"!

Now that oil leak, If it's going to leak, sometimes it has to be decided is this a nuisance or a problem. A big spot the size of a tea cup saucer on the floor the next day after a good ride, might be a nuisance. Loosing a pint (not burning) every 1000 miles might be a problem. I would never let it run a long time more than a pint low. If it is leaking out keep filling it up to at least a little under full. There isn't a lot of oil in there. It needs it all to keep the oil cool, clean and lasting. It may get messy but it will last longer full of clean oil.

gmwillys
06-09-2020, 10:20 PM
Much like my days of working on Harleys. When it stops leaking, it's out of oil.

Our '46 has a nuisance leak. The rear main seal is a dropper. After running up the road it leaves a 3 " puddle. 30W non detergent oil is fairly cheap, so it will be OK for the time being. Just have to park over a piece of plywood or cardboard. A couple runs ago I did put in some Lucas oil stop leak. It didn't measure it out, but rather topped off to full, maybe two cups worth. Then let it run for an hour at just above idle, so the generator kicked out some amps so the dieing cell battery would charge. So far the puddle has been noticeable smaller. It was worth an experiment since the well worn 134 isn't too far from needing new rings and con rod bearings. I typically don't use too many snake oil engine fixer cans, but folks swear by Lucas in the trucking industry, so why not.

bmorgil
06-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Oil leaks can be and usually are tough. Tough to find, tough to get to, tough to stop. The best way always of course can't usually be done in the vehicle. When the motor is on the engine stand we pressure check them. That being said I have had some success with UV dye.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7652661?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYL3BRDVARIsAF9E4GdFbc_XKzGzz5kgQIT_ Hn1QIFDKyUEkYPz_jqfR0wjDsoD3pxqwvPMaAoepEALw_wcB

You must use a STRONG UV light however. The 1970's era florescent black light wont do. It needs to be very strong or very dark. If you can find it and its a non pressure leak, If you get it very clean you can use some good sticky silicone like "Odd Job".

5JeepsAz
06-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Man, without you overachievers this truck wouldn't have it's oil checked! Here's the thing. Yes I'll attach pictures. Right now, I watched YouTube. Apparently, first you have to figure out which oil it is. So I brake cleaned parts of the underside. Wait, first i looked topside and the new work is not leaking and the cover is not the leak. Underneath, I cleaned. Tomorrow when I drive it I'll see what drips where. As far as the size of the puddles, there are drips after driving that soak out to a quarter size or fist size, but no pooling. So it leaks, runs, gets blown around, and when I stop it drips from a few places. The thing says it's down a quart and some. Tricky part. So I read the dipstick to say add a quart to the line. Mechanic said add two quarts, that line and the next line. Now, YouTube also informs me that a leak is better than burning it off internally, fouled plugs etc. And history books told me this engine leaked right out of the factory, one reason the engine only lasted a couple of years production run. So it doesn't have power steering and it's not brake fluid, although I should double check that. Upshot is, it's baby burping because got overfilled, the front of the pan isn't tight, this is also transmission oil, and most likely I'll be buying that fancy kit with yellow glasses and a spot light and florescent dye. I'm just happy enough there is still oil in it cause all I want to do is drive, baby, drive. Oh, and I found some of those bendable metal inserted strips holding the four wheel linkage on that look tired, so those will get replaced before I start shifting in and out of 4X4. I did manage to Not hit the fence twice, I executed a full turn out of a parking space past a chain link fence gate into an alleyway without turning the wheel at all once I aimed it, so it could be a good sign. I am learning how she goes. Anybody out there sitting on your project, finish up! It's definitely worth the hassles

timandzack
06-11-2020, 07:54 PM
Grease Zerts......Steering Bell Crank, Both ends of both drive shafts, Sometimes on older spring shackles, Both ends of steering rod, Model 44 sealed rear bearings have grease fittings on the inside. OMG what am I forgetting?

5JeepsAz
06-13-2020, 07:52 PM
Exactly. Still working on it

5JeepsAz
06-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Everytime I look this work impresses. Found a new deal where they split the break lines, tight work. Solid. So it did not leak just sitting, after cleaning. So much old oil though. Next step is a complete underside cleaning. Then I'll see what's what. This has the feel of a few different leaks, still. I'll find em.

bmorgil
06-15-2020, 06:09 AM
It is incredibly rewarding when you find and cure a leak. You are right on track. You'll find em'.

LarrBeard
06-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Grease Zerts......Steering Bell Crank, Both ends of both drive shafts, Sometimes on older spring shackles, Both ends of steering rod, Model 44 sealed rear bearings have grease fittings on the inside. OMG what am I forgetting?

The '48 Truck has, by actual count, 35 ... yes 35... Zerk fittings. Many of them are tight enough that a hand grease gun won't fill them - and even with a pneumatic gun you need to lift the truck to get the load off of the fittings in the spring shackles.

Luckily I have a guy who is as fond of the truck as I am and he will do it for me - but he fusses and grumbles. (But that's a cheap price to pay - most shops won't even look at it!)

5JeepsAz
06-15-2020, 11:29 PM
Alright so it's heating up here in the desert. Gotta get up with the worms. Did so. Sprayed a can of engine cleaner. Let it drip. Repeat. Then hooked up the handy dandy hoze nozzle. You guys have rust. Here it's sun rot hoses that blow up halfway through a job. Anyway, sprayed gentle and then watered the suds off of there. Looks pretty clean. No holes, no crud covered bolts, no oil stains from half a century of leakage. Some guy told me engines are meant to get wet, but not sprayed at, so I took care. Tomorrow I actually drive to see if it leaks. Then I'll top off the oil to the line on the dipstick I agree with. That should provide plenty information. Also, I'll post a pic of the dipstick to get opinions on which line everyone thinks. That should should be interesting. Tomorrow!

5JeepsAz
06-16-2020, 09:27 PM
When do you add oil?

5JeepsAz
06-16-2020, 09:54 PM
I hope my plug is not loose...
And why is the transmission glossy looking?

5JeepsAz
06-16-2020, 09:58 PM
Okay. promised some pics of the completed work

5JeepsAz
06-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Couple more

bmorgil
06-17-2020, 05:25 AM
When do you add oil?

Fill it to "D". Add whenever it gets below "D" within reason. Do not let it get below "C", that's tough on things.

The oil drain plug is leaking. The drip blows back at speed and creates a mist. the oil eventualy will coat everthing in the wind path. It looks like the transmission and bell housing are covered in a light layer of oil from it. This is why leaks are so hard to find, it gets blown everywhere. On the next oil change put a new gasket under the plug. You have found one leak. Lets hope its "the leak".

On another note the axle pinion seal is leaking slightly. Keep an eye on the lube level.

I like the work! You have a great "Driver" there. A really cool piece of nostalgia you can drive every day and, off road.

5JeepsAz
06-17-2020, 12:07 PM
Filled to D. Wiped clean. Plug tightened. Doing 20 or 30 miles today... We'll see

LarrBeard
06-17-2020, 04:45 PM
If the drain screw has been overtightened, the copper crush gasket will get flattened out enough to lose the seal. I concur that a new copper gasket at the next oil change would not be a bad investment.

gmwillys
06-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Napa should have the copper gasket in stock.

5JeepsAz
06-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Overtightened. Yes because when I wrenched it it wouldnt budge either way. Learned too tight is a bad thing, so I'll keep an eye on that. Could be it was an impact wrench error, but it doesn't look battered. Not sure why it's tight, but I suspicion it did leak, and someone tried to tighten it up. They should have known about it, and I trust them to know that.

Oil change needed. See below about gasketry.

She survived 100 degrees, ten minutes inching through traffic jam caused by construction, three lanes going into one, a/c blasting.

She roared along two 5 mile freeway stretches.

She navigated a tragic side street detour off the main thoroughfare, caused by horrific traffic accident (that blanket across the hood, no windshield to speak of, head-on, pretty freaking awful).

And she worked okay considering she has a turning radius like one of these seafaring ships you tell of.its a big boat!

She lost a touch of oil, yes, it sprayed like a fine mist as predicted. That whole underside needs a toothbrush cleaning. That's either an afternoon or paid for. Some of the oil crud is from 1974.

I'm down to the oil pan gasket. Has to be.

So it looks like another clean. Another inspection. Then oil change. In some order.

Meanwhile, I'll keep the oil full and watch where I park.

5JeepsAz
06-18-2020, 02:13 AM
Jay Leno Garage truck edition. Straight faced. $150,000 for starter resto mod. Up from there. wow.

bmorgil
06-18-2020, 06:47 AM
Cindy is perfect!

For $150,000 I will come out of retirement and frame off a Willys.

5JeepsAz
06-21-2020, 11:27 PM
Back to my very affordable build. I'm over here looking at NOS Schwinn reflectors for the antique tonneau.theres an American one inceurope for 350 bucks! I think I found a suitable deal at Walmart. We'll see. So I turned the thing around. Funny how hinges make stuff easier to get into. The hinge is now up front. The back is now just the square end of the side board.so I'm fooling with some reflectoring to brighten it up instead of more lights. The best way is probably no tonneau. But since I have it we'll keep it for awhile. What's gonna happen is I'm going to see a cool camper top that fits and that will be that. I'm just silly with my Willy's... Jeep Truck.

gmwillys
06-22-2020, 04:46 PM
Not silly, but very practical. Run what you brung, then upgrade when the opportunity arises.

5JeepsAz
06-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Put on the reflectors. Squared up the tonneau. Pulled the shifter funny while driving. Managed through a light on the overchange. Shared a shade tree with a dude living in his truck. Found the cotter pin or more likely pin shift lever rolling around the floor board. Reinserted it. Presto bango, the thing shifts better than ever! I mean, lever sits different in the steering column. Had to relearn the pull and place for each gear. No longer wants to miss third. Crazy! So now I'm thinking, heck, if the choke broke, and the shifter came out it my hand, what else has worked loose? Lol. Dunno. Could be fine tooth comb time. Anyway, this thing is a solid daily. It's been 110+ in traffic and fine. So now people coming out of the woodwork. This is in the heat, window open, big arm sitting on what must be a broiling window sill, just staring at it, at the stop. Trying to read the badging? Dudes with all sorts of modifiers trying doing the back, left, then drag race off in front move. This window tint is a bonanza deal. First, it's markedly cooler inside. Second, couldn't tell if they were waving at me or what. No expectation to holler back. Funniest was a city worker picking up cones waving arms like shooting for the stars and pointing and waving while I scootched thru the construction zone, big smile and a thumbs up. He got an okey dokey wave of the stogie which seemed satisfactory. Oh, and it drank a quart of oil over too short a distance. I'm keeping it full. Weird to have a done project I can drive anytime. Good news.

bmorgil
06-25-2020, 05:48 AM
I can tell you the "Limousine Tint" on the rear window is a big plus on my pick up trucks in the heat. That sun is hot in that desert. I am watching the news say Arizona is wining the most COVID per day contest. Interesting that the heat couldn't kill it. The task at hand for you now is to drive it and keep up with it. Fix as you go and don't let several things "gang up" on you. That thing sounds just perfect. So now you know your truck wants you to keep an eye on the snifter pin and the oil. Just one of her "things".

5JeepsAz
06-25-2020, 04:02 PM
It's dieseling too. We have several out; vast majority are parenting age; contrarily just beginning here; prepare. I'll post some pics of this here truck in the wild soon enough. Supposed to cool off to 100 next week!

5JeepsAz
06-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Today's treat was the horn button landing in my lap. Things just falling out. It went back. This thing is so solid though, not one real worry driving it. I'm following the advice to address issues with alacrity and thank you for that. I added some sea foam. With me pouring in oil it should be cleaner than whats on the dipstick. I'm thinking an oil change, new plug seal, new oil pan gasket, complete grease over, and a undercarriage detail after another tank of gas or two. Get a new choke cable too.

5JeepsAz
07-03-2020, 02:33 PM
I watched some vintage youtubes from when they introduced shift o matics. Looks like they efforted educating the public on how to shift as each new generation of transmission came in. There's a Ford series on transmission, suspension, that's fascinating. I'm having to learn what this thing was engineered to do, just to drive it. Left to my own, it would just be a clutch release and oodle into motion. In traffic, I'm gunning it at the first crosswalk and hitting second at the second crosswalk.

gmwillys
07-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Will it start out in second gear without shuttering? Granny low first gear is pretty much useless when not pulling a load.

Each vintage vehicle has its own personality. One likes full choke and three pumps of the throttle, and the next one likes half choke and a light tap. New vehicles just don't have the soul of a vintage vehicle. With technology, we have become soft as a society. Cheers to us that keep these rides on the road!

bmorgil
07-04-2020, 07:18 AM
As gm said each one of these has there own thing. Get practiced at getting it moving with as little clutch slippage and RPM as you can. Then give it the gas and let your motor tell you where to shift. You motor is a low RPM torquer. It doesn't need to scream up in the RPM range to pull. You will find when you get it moving and the clutch is fully engaged, when you step on it it revs quickly and then starts to hang or slow down its assent. You want to shift BEFORE you reach the point where the motor is out of breath. In your Hurricane Six you have 90 hp at 4400 rpm and 135 lb of torque at 2000 rpm. So at maximum load, or if you wanted maximum performance (Drag Racing a guy at the light) you would leave the starting line at peak torque to get moving and shift at peak HP for maximum acceleration. So if Cindy is running from the law with a load of Shine, drop the clutch at 2000 and shift at 4400. You adjust this based on how fast you want to take off and accelerate. Less performance required lowers the RPM points at take off and shifting.

You could temporarily or permanently put a Tachometer in it. This will give you an opportunity to hear it at various RPM. Once you hear your peak HP RPM (4400) and peak torque (2000) RPM's, you will be driving her by ear. There is no need to ever take that engine over 4400 RPM. When you are pulling hard keep it above 2000. Don't know if that all makes sense but, I think a Tach might just show you where she likes to run.

5JeepsAz
07-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Happy 4th Fellas and thank you for keeping us free. So grateful. I will not the hell put any tacho-meter on this vehicle. No Sir.i will put an ear to the thing. To the first I am not solid enough yet to use second, it is a three speed, so questionable when second is correct. The clutch is about perfect, engages, etc. So this is down to the driver. To the second yes perfectly understood about breathing. What I am saying is this thing was clearly designed to do something perfectly. I know because I get it right once in awhile. It also 'allows' me to shift, doesn't accept the shift if that makes sense. But the throw is long, so a quick shift is not appropriate.. I'll try second year off the line. It does chug at some points. More later. Today, try to enjoy the freedoms that you provided!

bmorgil
07-04-2020, 12:55 PM
You don't need a tach you can use the speedo. Just use the RPM/SPEED calculator. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2283-How-fast-is-the-RPM-at-speed-or-the-speed-at-RPM

And I agree, A big THANK YOU and God Bless to our Veterans for our freedom. Those we have, those who have gone and we will meet again, and those who will come in the future.

5JeepsAz
07-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Well, I don't have a speedo either. But that breathing thing, yup! So KFC run says second is an option. Feels like a modern car. Just starts slow. I did it at a ligh withc all traffic in front and nobody behind and it worked out fine. So we will try that again in daily driver traffic. Dang this thing is loooow.

bmorgil
07-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Haha! It is Looow indeed 5JeepsAz!

5JeepsAz
07-15-2020, 01:45 AM
stickers, shadows of the famous fence, hopen I like it in the morning!

bmorgil
07-15-2020, 06:20 AM
Classic. Signature tailgate. Great shot!

5JeepsAz
07-15-2020, 11:32 AM
Still need to install armrests. Magnet holding up roof carpet!

5JeepsAz
07-15-2020, 11:40 AM
As gm said each one of these has there own thing. Get practiced at getting it moving with as little clutch slippage and RPM as you can. Then give it the gas and let your motor tell you where to shift. You motor is a low RPM torquer. It doesn't need to scream up in the RPM range to pull. You will find when you get it moving and the clutch is fully engaged, when you step on it it revs quickly and then starts to hang or slow down its assent. You want to shift BEFORE you reach the point where the motor is out of breath. In your Hurricane Six you have 90 hp at 4400 rpm and 135 lb of torque at 2000 rpm. So at maximum load, or if you wanted maximum performance (Drag Racing a guy at the light) you would leave the starting line at peak torque to get moving and shift at peak HP for maximum acceleration. So if Cindy is running from the law with a load of Shine, drop the clutch at 2000 and shift at 4400. You adjust this based on how fast you want to take off and accelerate. Less performance required lowers the RPM points at take off and shifting.

You could temporarily or permanently put a Tachometer in it. This will give you an opportunity to hear it at various RPM. Once you hear your peak HP RPM (4400) and peak torque (2000) RPM's, you will be driving her by ear. There is no need to ever take that engine over 4400 RPM. When you are pulling hard keep it above 2000. Don't know if that all makes sense but, I think a Tach might just show you where she likes to run.

I keep reading this. I have the tornado 230 so numbers might be slightly different. Mechanic told me 2700 RPMs is sweet spot. I will get out my readings on it and learn the curve. Then I need a day on the trails. A little bit of sand, mud, gravel, rocks, hills, open road (dirt), tight corners. At the point where, man, if I get this figured, this thing will be freedom to roam unhindered.

5JeepsAz
07-16-2020, 10:55 PM
This is so much more truck than I know what to do with. Serious learning curve here. It would probably get off the line it third gear. Everytime I try something it does so much more than I can imagine. So for now, I'm just learning. Better brakes, better engine, better than everything. She actually smiled at me when I figured out the RPMs vs torque vs breathing deal. Maybe I was smiling and ole Cindy said you'd want more, ok, let's get it. Dunno. Fellas, this Willy's Jeep Truck thing is a very long conversation, just starting over here.

bmorgil
07-17-2020, 06:16 AM
I truly enjoy the fact you are "gettin' off" on that Classic! It is a thrill that some don't understand but, if you got it you know.

5JeepsAz
07-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Yep. It's a thing. The latest best thing about it, having heard so much about how great newer cars are, is the confirmation that this particular Kaiser-Willys Jeep Truck holds its own 50+ years later.

5JeepsAz
07-22-2020, 12:02 PM
On a new quest! Camper shell. Yep. They don't exist. Supposedly. One guy even cut up a Wagoneer to make his camper shell. Yeah, I know I'm supposed to build out my supercool vintage bed frame tonneau - would be easy to give it some posts and throw someime mosquito netting for sleeping, however, need to transport dogs to the campsite. So here goes looking for some kind of shell. In progress...pics when it happenx

5JeepsAz
07-22-2020, 12:35 PM
Hey wait a secnyere fellas... That vintage tonneau cover is a repurposed double bed. It basically fits, just short. That opens a whole world of possibles. Huh.

5JeepsAz
07-22-2020, 09:45 PM
Amazing how helpful people are. So the camper shell that fits the J Series trucks comes off an 87-96 Dodge Dakota, in my case long bed. That's be roughly 8'x5', 98"x63", given tapering, lips, and width of rails vary. Found few, mostly leer, mostly the too short bed, private sellers mainly because some yards aren't even accepting them anymore. Hey, here's a picture of what was offered back when (I found one of these listed at parts yard, but likely it's long gone by now, since that was ages ago):

Carson Childs
07-23-2020, 03:49 AM
Wow! That's a blast from the past! I'd love to have one of those in my garage.

bmorgil
07-23-2020, 07:47 AM
That does bring back some memories!

5JeepsAz
07-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Got the new Lid on! Fits like a glove. Windows open front and sides. No major overhang... Awesome!!!

On the way there a very fit homeless dude carrying a heavy pack riding a 50 speed mountain bike, possibly motorized, waved the ready set go at a light. He crossed into the turning lane and the race was on. I caught up at an eighth of a mile and passed him with ease at the quarter mile mark. lol

bmorgil
07-23-2020, 03:17 PM
HAhaha! What a tale. Awesome victory, well fought against a seasoned racer. I cant believe you found a top so fast. There is no slowing you down when you are on a mission!

5JeepsAz
07-23-2020, 07:28 PM
On the way back some dude in a CJ, coming through a light toward me as I sit in the left turn lane, CJ doors off, 100 plus degrees mind you, takes both hands off the wheel, sticks them both out the door along with his left leg, in some kind of convulsing celebratory jeep brotherhood wave. I just turn the radio up and looked straight ahead, then offered a brief wave, some pleased though I was. Lol. All his foot and hands were out the side. Lol. A good day!

Now, next thing. So the new top has the slider window, now of course I gotta have the slider window cab side, JeepGlass dot com has one tinted for 600 bucks. Is that an insane price? I do want to be able to reach back in there, pass through. So this will happen. Just wondering if I should jump at the shiny new one for big bucks or go hunt me up a cheaper used variety. Thoughts?

bmorgil
07-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Not a bad price for a good slider. I have one on my 77' Chevy but not on my 2015 GMC. I miss it on the GMC. Been thinking about getting one for it. If it appears to be good quality, $600 is about right. A power setup can run into the $1000 range.You can find cheaper manual sliders for around $300. On yours you may have to take what you can find. The cheaper ones are "cheap". Loose in the tracks, poor seal and not a very good latch.

5JeepsAz
07-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Thank you. It's on order. We will see if it's available. I could not find anything else so this may be the clincher for the luckiest modification sequence ever recorded. Fingers crossed.

The topper took a bath and got waxed. I am sure a deeper scrub would improve it more, so it may work fine as is. It has everything I wanted. Damn lucky deal.

However, a detour through the internet shows the Wagoneers were one color in their day mostly, 1964.

It wasn't until just later that they came out with the wood side panels.

People since have painted the indent running along the body, or a two tone effect.

Paint the topper white? Black? Red?

I'm thinking red, even the back window frame which is often left black paint or bare metal.

bmorgil
07-24-2020, 11:24 AM
I like the contrasting idea. Black might be a bit toasty in the afternoon sun! White would be functional in AZ. Red would always be a good choice.

gmwillys
07-24-2020, 09:49 PM
I like the white idea.... Yep, I said it...paint it. The patina tail gate kept just enough.

5JeepsAz
07-29-2020, 08:51 PM
The truck ran fine in 117 degrees here in the desert. The A/C kept it comparatively cool. I checked with paint department, none of us wrote down which white paint is on the bumpers. So plan is to do an eyeball match using the painters eyeballs. Once the topper is white, we'll see if it looks good or off the bumpers need to be repainted to match. The JeepGlass.com guy is a real good dude. The slider window gets here Monday. Man did I agonize unnecessarily over the color of the topper. Here's what finally convinced me to go with white...

bmorgil
07-30-2020, 06:01 AM
Good choice.

You are the Master of finding old publications and photo's!

5JeepsAz
08-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Got the slider ... Should be a fun week what with getting the topper painted. Going to use garage door under rubber for the seal. Like drill holes better than clamps to hold it on- we'll see!

5JeepsAz
08-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Slider window is in. What a treat. Put a screw in that pin and covered it with some vintage rubber to hold in place. Also prepped for the topper when it is ready. Turns out the bed is already drilled so I can do bolts instead of clamps to hold it on there.

bmorgil
08-05-2020, 03:57 PM
That tint is going to be a welcome thing in the AZ sunshine! Nice rubber hat on the pin.

5JeepsAz
08-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Needs straightened, but here it is... Got a hug, kiss and a high five from the Mrs, so that's good

bmorgil
08-08-2020, 06:11 AM
Looks like the old time photo you posted down below! Much more usable than it was back then. That's a perfect driver man.

Now about the comment you made about your vacuum issue in another post, get a can man! https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/comp-cams-vacuum-canisters/part-type/vacuum-reservoirs?fr=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending Many places have these. I have a "Large" camshaft in one of my vehicles that is driven on the street. It has very little vacuum at idle. It has Power Brakes, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, vacuum controlled temperature/defrost and lots of pull on the alternator, The "can" provides plenty of reserve when idling down to keep everything working even if you have to "pump" the brakes a few times in traffic.

5JeepsAz
08-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Alright alright. I'll get get the can.

The painter remembered the paint code! So now when I go back for my white stripe, everything will match perfectly

LarrBeard
08-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Alright alright. I'll get get the can.

The Summit Racing cans are a lot fancier than the cans on a lot of the late cars with vacuum wipers. Those cans were just painted tomato juice cans with a couple of nipples on them for hose attachments.

bmorgil
08-09-2020, 05:44 PM
The "Cans" sold by Summit and the like, have a check valve in them. They hold a good deal of vacuum and the check valve keeps it locked in. Every time you back off the throttle or cruise, the can recharges. On deceleration it is surprising how much vacuum you can trap in there. You hook up everything that needs vacuum to the cans "Vacuum Out" port. The engine vacuum goes to the cans vacuum check valve/charge port. As the vacuum drops in the engine, The check valve holds the vacuum in the can. When ever the vacuum is greater that the can the check valve allows the can to "charge". They work well.

Combined with a properly installed and adjusted Idle Solenoid, you would be hard pressed to know you you were using the air and brakes.

5JeepsAz
08-10-2020, 12:49 AM
Combined with a properly installed and adjusted Idle Solenoid

lol. Hoped you forgot about that! After a summer of foot pedal idle advance this is back on the list..

bmorgil
08-10-2020, 08:28 AM
How could I forget about Cindy! One of these times that "Double Foot" technique is going to bite you.

5JeepsAz
08-19-2020, 11:54 AM
So I looked into the can from a post you all shared previously. That's a gigantic modification! The thing looks more like a keg than anything else. So it's going in there next spa day. I need to research the auto idle for my carb. I'm so proud of the single barrel Holley that's in there. I don't want the attachment to scratch the carb. Also, I saw on youtubes that it adjusts for lean back behind, so I'll check the fuel mixture once I locate the twist. It seems a little rich. And, today I ordered the headliner from jb Willy's. So depending on the post delays it'll be here in a month or two. I'm down to a simple pinstripe I saw on another truck my vintage, that is about perfect. Maaco said they can do. So we are tidying up here. Next big things are fuel gauge and speedometer. And fix the choke. Etc.

bmorgil
08-19-2020, 12:27 PM
A good point there on the idle mixture. Fire it up in neutral e-brake on. Adjust the engine idle screw, to idle at 700 RPM with the air on. Then turn the mixture screw to the highest idle reading with the air on. Turn the idle screw back down to about 650 RPM, turn the air off and see if that idle speed will work when the air is off. If it stays under 850 RPM idling in neutral that would work. Any more than that might get annoying.

Was a throttle lock an option on that baby? You could always put in a cable throttle lock and manually set the idle when the air is on. I use mine as a "Fast Idle" when the motor is cold. If you can find a craftsman, a nice install of a idle solenoid would be bitchin'. There are many ways to fab up a nice bracket. You just need the right fabricator. Good luck, if you can get it done it would sure end that problem.

5JeepsAz
08-20-2020, 04:00 PM
Don't have a e brake neither, but I'll do what you said by ear. It ..sounds.. like it could be good advice. I'm not much on number crunching though, to the point of being skeptical on the issue. Probably just twist the thing until it sounds good with the air on. As for duct tape, I do think it might help hold the idle. If not, I'll do a mod of some kind. Someone on here told me it's a simple attachment, so I'll maybe consider it. I like the bitchin ride part. Well said! If I could get it to be that, it would be good. Lots of guys work so hard on their builds here. Not me! Look out everyone else cause I roll a vintage daily driver with three feet baby!

5JeepsAz
08-21-2020, 03:14 AM
Well looky here. My carb actually has two barrels. Yeah, I read all about it. Says it's the heart and soul of performance. After that was some pretty tenuous numbers, pictures of things 'blowed apart' schematically of course. Anyway, two things. First, I won't be touching this thing without a mechanic. Second, I'm trying to figure out if my Holley 2300 P/N 0-4412S either already has an idle advance for a/c capability, or if it is aftermarket add to my old jeep, then it should be that A-dapter y'all been talking about conveniently available on the web. So I'm still learning. One thing though, it's a serious business best left to people who know stuff. I'll adjust the idle, maybe the lean, but this thing is more intracerebral than myself. I won't be making fun of vacuum tubes anymore. They seem very important to measure with precision necessary for optimal performance.