PDA

View Full Version : New Alaska member

AK1600
09-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Hi, new member here.
Don’t currently own a Willys but have a good chance of picking up a barn find. It’s a 56 CJ5 setting in a garage in Minnesota. Was my coworkers Grandfathers, was running when parked in the mid-90s. From what I’ve seen its all original, no rust that I can see from pics, speedometer stopped at 39k at some point.

Has No top was used mostly for farm work but always garaged.

If I’m fortunate enough to buy this diamond in the rough, I’ll be trailering it to Alaska; and hopefully breathe new life into the old girl.

I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Still trying to figure out what $$$$ to offer.

Jay

gmwillys
09-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Welcome AK1600,

We look forward to your questions. Hopefully everything will pan out, and the Early 5 will be all yours.

I was based out of Minnesota for some time. Pay special attention to the hat channels underneath the driver's & passenger's floor boards. They are subject to rot. Not a big deal, but it is something to consider.

bmorgil
09-07-2019, 06:36 AM
Hope you score it AK1600! I am thinking a top and a heater might be beneficial in Alaska!

Lots of things to help you bring her back. Parts and help are definitely around. If the power-train is solid, it is always a good find.

LarrBeard
09-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Still trying to figure out what $$$$ to offer. Jay

Offer him a little more than you think its worth. He will feel well compensated for GrandPa's Jeep and you won't feel like you beat him out of some money.

There is really no good guide for what its worth since every one is different with what its condition is and what you intend to do with it.

Good luck - and post some pictures.

AK1600
09-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Let's see if this works, below should be a link to photos.
Not the best but enough to get an idea of the condition.
Still trying to desided if it's worth halling all the way to Alaska.
Hopefully the engine turns over at the crank, that would be a plus.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hj48QVGXtGrDEUGBA

scoutingranch
09-07-2019, 12:12 PM
The problem with prices is, they seem to be all over the map. And yes, a bit of a hike to go and comeback.

bmorgil
09-07-2019, 01:30 PM
That's a good one AK1600. A lot of the original parts are there. Even some decals still in good shape (like on the air cleaner). It's lLike gmwillys said, the value lies with the buyer. If you are looking for a great restore project, that thing looks prime. I see a lot of time and money saved in the engine room alone.

LarrBeard
09-07-2019, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=AK1600;9079
Not the best but enough to get an idea of the condition
Hopefully the engine turns over at the crank, that would be a plus

For a project Jeep, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this a 7. To the eyeball, there is a lot of original stuff left and in good shape. Even a stuck engine is less of a problem than a lot of missing or decayed sheet metal.

5JeepsAz
09-07-2019, 09:53 PM
The paint looks better than some. Is that an original color?

gmwillys
09-07-2019, 10:24 PM
I like it! It has lots of potential. Looks like it was kept stored during the winter, or far enough away from the hard road to prevent salt from eating away the body. In the gallery, there are some photos of an M38A1. It suffered a lot of cancer from being stored near a county salt shed.

Good luck!

bmorgil
09-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Just think about starting with something like this.