PDA

View Full Version : Color codes (Current)

scoutingranch
10-04-2019, 08:45 PM
I see on the Kaiser Willys Auto Supply catalog the color pages with numbers. But, that tells me nothing without more intel on those numbers such as who the manufacturer is so that the paint company can cross reference.
Do I have my facts right? Or, am I blowing smoke as usual?

I want to order Potomac Gray in rattle cans. Yes, rattle cans. There is a supplier I use that will make the paint and they have a neat spray nozzle that is wide vertical. I will be doing the entire vehicle. They also sell tractor paint in many colors.
Thanks lads

bmorgil
10-05-2019, 06:38 AM
There are a few discussions on here about finding the original colors. I was unable to get anywhere with any of the original paint codes from KW or, the internet. The best bet is to take all the information you have into an automotive paint supplier. They usually have a way to get an interchange back to the original number. In my case, they called the manufacturer's and came back with a great match.

gmwillys
10-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I came across a site a while back that should help. Paintref.com

Most of the original paint was provided by Diltzer.

scoutingranch
10-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Thank you. Potomac gray is a very light gray. The examples of the original color are all over the body as I remove parts. So I do have examples but they are attached :D Maybe the smart thing is just to find something close.
That website Paintref.com is amazing.

LarrBeard
10-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Potomac gray is a very light gray.

Make sure to have your wife look at the color. That way, even if it is not the correct shade, it will be the right color.

Seriously, women have much better color discrimination than we do!

bmorgil
10-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Peel off a small piece of that paint. An automotive paint supply store will match that right up.

scoutingranch
10-06-2019, 06:37 AM
LarrBeard you are 100 percent correct.
bmorgil, got it.

bmorgil
10-06-2019, 08:07 AM
My wife approved the color of my Willys for sure! On a side note, LarrBeard loved it... What is it with LarrBeard and the ladies?

gmwillys
10-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Seeing Cheif LarrBeard in uniform, the ladies can't resist! He reminds them of the movie An officer and a gentleman.

bmorgil
10-06-2019, 01:51 PM
After meeting Senior Chief in person, there is a striking resemblance to Richard Gere!

5JeepsAz
10-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Same issue here. Found a paint card. Going with the Amber metallic, always liked it. Wondering if the paint match will match my memory... Talking with the paint guy today. Hoping he has brilliant genius answers...

bmorgil
10-11-2019, 04:17 PM
I bet they can help you out. They have ways at the Auto Paint store.