PDA

View Full Version : Generator to alternator swap

Oldfireguy
10-17-2019, 11:14 AM
I want to swap out the generator from my '59 CJ5 to an alternator. Is there an alternator out there that bolts right on to the old bracket; and is there a specific regulator that I need as well? Engine is the stock F134. Thanks in advance for the input.

bmorgil
10-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Odfireguy, if your looking for a "bolt in kit", there are a few out there. Here is the KW.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nsearch/?q=new%2012%20volt%20conversion%20alternator%20kit

scoutingranch
10-18-2019, 08:10 AM
I've been thinking. Can the stock generator be turned into an alternator? I can't stand electric anything so I'm asking out of total ignorance.

LarrBeard
10-18-2019, 08:19 AM
I've been thinking. Can the stock generator be turned into an alternator? I can't stand electric anything so I'm asking out of total ignorance.
I

Quick simple answer - No.

bmorgil
10-18-2019, 08:32 AM
There is a discussion on this forum about using the "Generator" to charge a 12 volt system. Though you are not turning a generator into an alternator, you can use the generator to charge the 12 volt battery. A generator produces lots of voltage.Using a 12 volt regulator, you can regulate the voltage to 12 volts. This has definitely been done. You need to hook up a 12 Volt regulator. Google "converting generator from 6 volts to 12 volts".

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2018-Advice-needed-Starter-rewind-from-6-volt-to-12-volt&p=8563#post8563

LarrBeard
10-18-2019, 11:16 AM
When we talk about 12-volt conversions, we almost automatically think of an alternator as a power source, but the first 12-volt vehicles (about 1955 or so) were generator powered.

At this year’s Jeep festival, there was a gentleman with a beautiful little CJ -2A (?) that looked just about as original as it could be, until I spotted “12-VOLTS” on the sticker on the regulator. He had done a 12-volt conversion with a generator, but the generator kept the CJ looking original. The advantage of this approach is that it is a wire for wire change, no new wires, no rewiring – just keep track of where you disconnect the old wires.

I would suggest a 12-volt generator rather than trying to jury rig a 6-volt into a 12-volt regulator. The 12-volt field coils are different (smaller wire, higher resistance). The armature is fine-tuned as well. A typical Jeep 6-volt generator is rated at about 35-amps. Volts times amps gives about 210 watts out of the generator. If we just jury rig the generator, at 12-volts we get up to 210 watts at about 17 amps of current – not a lot of charging and load capacity. Now we know that 210 watts is not a drop dead number, but pushing that rating just isn’t a good idea.

You’re probably not going to need a lot of extra amps from your conversion – no BoomBoxBigBass stereo or racks of halogen lights, so a generator would serve you well. But, if you want lots of high amp accessories – the alternator is the way to go.

Then, there is an exotic product called a Gener-Nator which I ran across poking around on this thread. I’ve never heard of it before and I expect it’s not cheap.

bmorgil
10-18-2019, 11:42 AM
On LarrBeard's note, there are sources that will "convert" your 6 volt generator to 12 volts. They rewind the armature and change the field coils. One thing to remember, generators aren't known for their low RPM output. If the motor does a lot of idling, better hope the lights aren't on! I fabricated a custom mount that uses the original block mounting location and belt, for a one wire GM 10SI Alternator. I love it. It is not original. It didn't seem to mater to anyone looking it over. When I show the Willys, I advertise the 12 volt system as a modern "upgrade". The battery is the same size as the original and fits in the original tray and hold down. The starter is the original rebuilt 6 volt. I have a USB/12v power tap charge port hidden up under the dash. If I should need a jump, everybody's vehicle is 12 volts.

If you are a purist, keep it 6 volts. It is cool to have a working 6 volt system. If mine hadn't been so badly hacked and cannibalized, I would have kept it 6 volts. But 12 volt conversions do have their good points.