PDA

View Full Version : 51 oil filter

Toms51
11-22-2019, 10:20 PM
This oil filter came off the l-head I am restoring. It does not have the bands that I see in all the pictures. Is this a typical one? Will it mount to the standard bracket that KW sells? And how the heck does the element come out? It just spins and wiggles but won’t pull out.
Thanks
Tom

bmorgil
11-23-2019, 07:31 AM
There are a few types of filters on the early Willys. You have the style that bolts directly to the bracket on the motor. The most available one seems to be the one with the bands. The lower front corner of my filter was cut off by the previous owner. Usually there are 4 bolts holding it to the bracket. The bracket is bolted to the motor under the head stud nuts.

You have a Fram. It takes a NAPA 1010 element or a WIX 51010. It should bolt to the KW bracket. The filter pulls out.

Toms51
11-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Bob, you are an invaluable source of Jeep knowledge. I appreciate your prompt response. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I continue to learn. Thanks again
Tom

bmorgil
11-23-2019, 09:45 AM
Tom, thanks for the plug, you are welcome. You have little choice as you go through these old rigs, than to become well versed. Everything is an inquisitive experience that's for sure. It's a lot of fun! This forum was a lot of help for me.

LarrBeard
11-23-2019, 12:03 PM
The filter pulls out.

As you will find out - lots of things that come apart will have to be "persuaded" - start with the smallest hammer and work up...