PDA

View Full Version : paint question

wildman6809
01-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Had my frame and axles sandblasted and sprayed them with self-etching primer to keep them from rusting. I’m thinking I may have made a mistake in doing this. I thought I would have more time to get it primed not thinking it would rust so quickly. Anyway got in a hurry and used the primer that was recommended by a friend. So my question is what primer should I go over this primmer with so the top paint will stick. I also don’t have a spray gun so something in a can would be preferred
thanks

bmorgil
01-03-2020, 01:01 PM
wildman6809, the best way to find your answer is in the paint manufactures technical advice staff. I would get on line and chat or, send and email or, give em a call. The manufacturer should be able to give you a solid answer on that.

I used Rust-Oleum self etching primer on mine after sand blasting, and then covered it with Rust-Oleum black and made sure it got warm enough to cure. I have painted a lot of frames and under bodies this way since the 60's. That product seems to be a bit "soft" and chip resistant. It takes the pelting from road debris well.

gmwillys
01-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Welcome Wildman,
The Rustoleum products have been my go to for frame painting. The self etching primer is good for a base coat primer, that is compatible with most automotive primers.

If you are priming something that is a high wear area, I.e. floor boards, steps, or underside of mower decks, I use an oil based implement primer sold by Tractor Supply. It is a not so appealing yellow color, but will wear like iron.