PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear problems.

AmyB
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
My ’51 3A pops out of 2nd gear when the drive train is not under load. Under power, it works fine. I have changed the gears, but it still does it. It feels like it’s actually being pushed out of gear by something. Otherwise, the tranny is fine.

Your thoughts?

squigglemyster
04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
AmyB... I have the same problem with my 48 Jeepster, I have done most everything I know to correct it, but no luck here

RachelH
04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Have you tried replacing the synchronizer?

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
That has a T90 right? Have you checked the springs/ball bearings in the top cover? I worked on an old dodge army truck that had the same problem and these were the issue. Number 35 and 36 below:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/graphics/t90_transmission_parts_exploded_view.jpg

They're called "spring poppets" or something like that and help hold it in gear.

dave351cid
05-01-2012, 08:44 AM
i have the same problem with the toploader in my ford sedan. it drops out of 1st and 3rd when no load. the only thing that hasnt been rebuilt is the " They're called "spring poppets" or something like that and help hold it in gear." locaters in the selector shaft. strangly they are about the only parts for a toploader that is not reproduced. all the "experts" say this is the cause of the problem.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I was unaware that you couldn't get these parts because I made my own "spring poppets". In my case they were just a ball bearing and a spring. In the US, places like Mcmaster carr have pretty much anything like that you'd need.

On this subject, I was reading through my utility vehicle service manual the other night and came across a passage that pointed to something else as a possible cause for this second gear problem. I can't remember right now what it was but I believe it was in the end of the chapter on the transmission and maybe in the "troubleshooting" section. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight but if one of you has the manual, check it out; it's there.

The slots that the ball bearings drop into on the selector rods/selector shafts may also be worn to the point that they are actually the issue as well.

My transmission is leaking a lot lately and I may have to tear into it so I was doing a little "light" reading. :cool:

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I found the proper section in the manual today. Page 155 of the 1954-1960 Jeep Utility Vehicles manual.

If it slips out of second gear it says the problems are either a worn gear, which you've replaced, or a weak poppet spring. I guess there wasn't anything else interesting to add from the manual.