PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Cargo Loader CJ3B

Willy D
04-27-2020, 06:35 PM
I just finished a two year project building my 1955 Cargo Loader CJ3B. The day I bought it the original body was rust free and the Willys was in great shape to start a build but the drivetrain was in need of attention.
I installed a Kubota 2.4 Turbo Diesel and a rebuilt T90 Transmission and Dana 18 Transfer Case from Kaiser Willys to solve the drivetrain issues. To make as clean of an install as I could I had to move the engine forward 2" to clear the firewall. I had to locate an exhaust manifold and oil supply lines that would move the turbo forward enough to get the exhaust to clear the firewall also. Then came the ugly saginaw power steering pump the old owner had installed along with a saginaw gearbox., I did not have enough room down low out of sight to hide the pump from view and making the brackets and buying the pulleys was becoming impossible if I wanted a clean look. So after many sleepless nights thinking about it I remembered a Volvo I had once worked on with an electric power steering pump. I did some homework and the math added up, the pump would work. I installed the pump under the front bumper to grill cover flipped a switch and I had power steering. So nice to sleep again. I am lucky enough that my M - F job is still going strong but with all the time I have now due to the virus making it impossible for the wife to drag me out on the weekends I was able to finish it.

I am trying to figure out the true value of the Willys because I always end up selling my projects after they are done so I can find something else to play with. Not saying I will sell this one, I have a bond with it.

Willy D
04-27-2020, 06:37 PM
more pictures 59705971

bmorgil
04-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Holy smokes that's a beauty!

Willy D
04-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I checked out your Willys. You put a lot of time in it. Looks great. Do you know where I can go to get a true appraisal of my Willys. Not some inflated appraisal. We have Jeep Beach down here and I would like to see if I can get top dollar to start a FC170 next. Just thinking about it. I have build a lot of cars and always enjoyed the build more than the drive but this one I seem to enjoy it all so I am on the fence.
I just bought a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Diesel last month and thats my first Wrangler. I am really enjoying that also. It's like I found my home. I just got rid of my 2019 Corvette and don't miss it a bit and my Hellcat before that.5972.

okiemark
04-27-2020, 09:01 PM
What a beautiful Jeep. It would break my heart to put that much into one and then sell it, but that is your business! My oh my what a beauty!

TJones
04-28-2020, 04:23 AM
Willy D that is a Sweet ride, you did a nice job on it!!!!

gmwillys
04-28-2020, 04:55 AM
Welcome Willy D!

That is a stunning 3B! The Kubota turbo was a wise choice your build, and that was a great idea for the power steering solution. I can understand that the build is your passion, but this gem has hit a sweet spot in your heart. Our 2A is like a member of the family, and I could not part with it no matter how much money was offered, despite it being an ugly duckling. An FC170 build would be a fun for us to follow along with though. You might end up with a stable full of Jeeps.....

As far as worth, you might look through Hemmings motor news for a reputable auto appraiser. If you follow Barrett Jackson auto auction, that will give you a false sense of worth. It would be nice to get 30,000 for a custom Willys, but the likelihood in the real world is low.

bmorgil
04-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Willy D, I Love the Bimini sun top. I was looking for exactly that for mine. How did you fabricate that up? Can you share some pic's of that set up?

If you don't have a "roll Bar" in your Jeep, you cant get that type of Bimini. I like that type. Just a sun shade for the Parade.

LarrBeard
04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
WOW..

On the outside it is a beautiful CJ-3B, but underneath it is truly a mechanical work of art. This is the best of both worlds!

If you decided to sell it, based on a lot of places I've looked for sell value, mid-$20K's is probably realistic for a top price.

Willy D
04-28-2020, 08:43 PM
bmorgil,
I will get you some close up pictures of Bimini sun top. It is very easy to have made and I think it was only $250 installed. It is very easy to take on and off but the Florida sun this time of year will bake you without it. I am like you. I don't want to cut uo the body for a true roll bar and a bolt on does very little if it's ever needed.

Willy D
04-28-2020, 08:58 PM
gmwillys
thanks for the compliments. I was into the american sports cars for years and have done a complete transformation to the Jeeps / Willys. I really love the amount of things you can do with these things. I have two 2020 CVO trikes for me and my wife and love the ability to add and work on them so when I was looking into my next project I ran across the Willys and bought it to play. Then I was watching a 2020 Corvette video and the next on the play list was the 2020 Wrangler Diesel and had to get one for the fun of playing. You can only do so much with a sports car but these jeeps there is endless possibilitys.

Willy D
04-28-2020, 09:00 PM
LarrBeard
Thanks for the flowers.

LarrBeard
04-29-2020, 06:59 AM
LarrBeard
Thanks for the flowers.

AWhhh, you promised not to tell. Now the rest of the guys will be jealous.

gmwillys
04-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Yeah, all I get is a hard time....

Jeeps are the most fun vehicle that I've found. I've dabbled in motorcycles, snowmobiles, and muscle cars, but my Heeps are my passion. If you want the wind in your face, put the windshield down. When the Long Suffering Misses wants to go for a drive, she doesn't have to hop on the back, she can ride up front with no yelling back and forth needed.

bmorgil
04-29-2020, 03:30 PM
Just remember, don't open your mouth above 40 mph with the windshield down! That might be what gmwillys was saying about "no yelling".

I can't wait for the info on the top. I am going to get it done as soon as you guide me! I have been looking for a top, that one is perfect and Corona Virus aside, the Parade is coming up!

LarrBeard
04-29-2020, 03:44 PM
"...she can ride up front with no yelling back and forth needed. "

You mean your wife doesn't give you driving instructions???

bmorgil
04-29-2020, 05:24 PM
HAhaa, The last time the misses and I went to the ice cream shop, she was screaming murder all the way! "Oh my god the road is right there! There's no door! HELP there's no handles! My Hat! Oh my god my hair!" That's all I remember, that and me laughing, laughing a lot. Never lifted. 48 mph to the finish line.

My reason for this project, the laughter.

gmwillys
04-29-2020, 06:25 PM
The only time she became slightly nervous was on our last run of the fall. We were headed to town and I hit a pot hole just right and the front end got to death wobbling. She raised an eyebrow, but waited to see if I cussed or not. After slowing down to let the front end to find its way back to straight. All I said was Hmmm, add that to the list of things to look into. She looks back with the "you think?" look.

5JeepsAz
05-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Some of these builds, some of these brides, all of our lives! Funny. I am now convinced that a future purchase of mine will be from someone who "likes the build more than the drive". As one who likes the drive more than the build, I was planning on buying someone else's mistake. But this new way is better. Why buy a mistake when you can get yourself a completed build? Also, I do know that DIY is way more satisfactory than paying someone to build your ride, which is still pretty good.

bmorgil
05-01-2020, 07:18 AM
5Jeep's anyway you got em' that's the way you want em'!

I know people who just drive em', just drive em' and love em', build em' and drive em', keep em runnin' and love em', just keep em runnin' and some who leave them set. Somehow "they" find a way...

5JeepsAz
05-23-2020, 09:40 PM
I know people who just drive em', just drive em' and love em', build em' and drive em', keep em runnin' and love em', just keep em runnin' and some who leave them set. Somehow "they" find a way...

Bmorgil you need to meet my mechanic and explain the above, that these are the only group available. He thinks there's a group called he who has it in his shop gets to keep it....

bmorgil
05-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Pending legal action, I have used the "squeaky wheel" theory to get good results. It sounds like you are squeaking! Maybe add more volume on the squeak?