PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro. 64-68 Wagoneer

sWagoneer
07-20-2020, 03:03 PM
Good Morning Everyone,

I would like to introduce myself and my project I picked up about 2 months ago. It has been a while since I have been on a forum, so bear with me while I remember how to use them.

I found a 1964-1968 (unsure of the year, but through significant amount of digging I have narrowed it down to somewhere in that ballpark with me leaning towards the earlier years) Jeep Wagoneer as a project to keep busy during these strange times, with a plan to turn it into an offroad play toy.

It was in rough shape to say the least, but started right up and I picked it up for what I feel is one heck of a deal. After a short tow to my place, the fun began. I will attach a handful of photos below that show its condition when purchased. Hopefully someone who is a bit more knowledgeable about the older FSJ's can help me to sort out what year I have. The seller thought it was a 1967, the title says 1970 (it was an abandoned vehicle when she got it) and the front end says 1964-1965 if I am correct.

Looking forward to getting my build thread up and going and seeing progress of not only my project, but everyone elses!

bmorgil
07-21-2020, 08:18 AM
Welcome! It looks like you have a project there. There seems to be a lot of original parts. The body looks fairly straight. For sitting it still looks like it has some floor in it. This will be a great rebuild to watch. In the 1960's my dad used to bring these home on occasion for testing of the drive lines. They went everywhere in the snow!

gmwillys
07-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Welcome back sWagoneer!

All I can say is I like it. The floors don't look all that terrible, just soft with a few through holes. I recognize the steering wheel and the hanging pedals from the ones that were repurposed in my '63 wagon.

We look forward to following your progress!

sWagoneer
07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
Welcome! It looks like you have a project there. There seems to be a lot of original parts. The body looks fairly straight. For sitting it still looks like it has some floor in it. This will be a great rebuild to watch. In the 1960's my dad used to bring these home on occasion for testing of the drive lines. They went everywhere in the snow!

I was pretty shocked, almost all of the interior odds and ends are there, rear seat I am going to have re-done, I fell in love with it. Body is in decent shape, owner before me had a plow on it and destroyed the front bumper and cut out quite a bit of the sheet metal on the front to make it fit. I guess I will have to build a cool offroad bumper haha. It took me quite a while to get the floors completed that was the biggest challenge thus far. Mostly because I have zero experience with a flux core welder. But by the time I was just about finished I got the welds down. Here is the floor I built!

bmorgil
07-21-2020, 01:00 PM
Just like new man! You should try your hand at rebuilding the chopped up front from the plow. We have seen gmwillys recreate frame rails!

gmwillys
07-21-2020, 02:58 PM
You have my stamp of approval. I've gotten so used to running argon with my MIG, that it would probably look like a mud dobber crapped on the seams. Good job!

sWagoneer
07-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Thank you guys! I definitely plan on giving the front end a shot, that will definitely be a first, but honestly most of this is a first for me haha.

5JeepsAz
07-21-2020, 11:36 PM
Great project! Do you have a pic of the front? The numbers on these thing, engine, rear diff tag, regular old serial number on the door jam can help age it more closely. They pirated lots of front grilles if you have or had the rhino. Also, the back lights, the reverse light may not have been on early ones. More pics!

gmwillys
07-22-2020, 06:27 AM
The biggest thing with welding sheet metal is patience. Too much heat in one location causes you headaches. Stick and move until all your tacks are filled in. Find you a scrap piece of copper, and use it as a backer plate. This will help dissipate heat, and will help if your joints are not exact.

okiemark
07-22-2020, 09:07 AM
You've done some good work to start out there!