PDA

View Full Version : New to forum. 57 willy pickup

slick willy
07-20-2020, 08:15 PM
I'm looking for a grey colored choke cable knob. my cable is seized up, and i can not remove the grey knob off the cable. all i have found are black and white knobs. anyone know where i can get a new cable with a grey colored knob.

Carson Childs
07-22-2020, 04:45 AM
Hello! I don't have one, but I'm sure one of our helpful folks here in the forum would be able to provide one. Welcome aboard!

gmwillys
07-22-2020, 06:41 AM
Welcome Slick Willy!

A quick Mrs. Google search came up with the following;

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars/fuel-system/carburetor/6a-9703-47-48-choke-knob

You will have to order the cable then swap the knob. That would probably be the cheapest route to take.

slick willy
07-22-2020, 04:30 PM
The problem i'm having is the knob will not come off. I took it to our local speed shop, he said the knobs were molded to the cables back in 57. i do not want to destroy the knob trying to get it off. any ideas on how to remove this old knob?

gmwillys
07-22-2020, 09:26 PM
If your existing is good, paint the knob to match.

Carson Childs
07-23-2020, 03:50 AM
"If your existing is good, paint the knob to match."

Hmm, that could work too. An uncanny way of solving it, if you ask me.

gmwillys
07-23-2020, 06:00 AM
It comes from generations of Scottish heritage, and a dash of OCD. I would be too cheap to purchase the knob or the entire choke cable if not unserviceable.

Although I did just received a new choke cable in the mail yesterday. The threads were stripped out on the original, and was originally on a lawn mower. Now both my new headlight switch and choke knobs match. Small price to pay for sanity.

scoutingranch
07-28-2020, 07:58 AM
It comes from generations of Scottish heritage, and a dash of OCD. I would be too cheap to purchase the knob or the entire choke cable if not unserviceable.

Although I did just received a new choke cable in the mail yesterday. The threads were stripped out on the original, and was originally on a lawn mower. Now both my new headlight switch and choke knobs match. Small price to pay for sanity.

I had to laugh. On Saturday mornings I ingest several quarts of espresso with my buddy from Glasgow.
His go to joke is "how Scots make copper wire...two Scots fighting over a penny"

bmorgil
07-29-2020, 07:24 AM
I had to laugh. On Saturday mornings I ingest several quarts of espresso with my buddy from Glasgow.
His go to joke is "how Scots make copper wire...two Scots fighting over a penny"

Haahaaha, You could slip in a few nationalities into that stereotype! Mine for sure.

Carson Childs
07-30-2020, 03:40 AM
"how Scots make copper wire...two Scots fighting over a penny"
Damn! I almost spit my coffee out. That's just hilarious.