PDA

View Full Version : Hi new to forum

Brian Waller
07-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Hi I am new here, I have a 1941 Willys Americar Engine (only) that I am rebuilding and I am looking for parts to restore it back to the original.

Engine number is 441 73608

Engine block number is 638632W2

Engine Date is 4 11 1941

Will any parts from the Willys Jeep MA or early MB fit this engine or not??

Since I am new here I haven't figure out how to add pictures yet.

I will glad for any help I can get.

Brian Waller

bmorgil
07-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Hello Brian. For the most part the L134 engine is the same. The earlier ones like yours up to 1946 used a different timing setup for the cam. (Chain vs Gear driven). The timing cover is also different, as is the camshaft. The crankshaft is unique to the chain drive also. There are some small changes to the oil pump, but for the most part the rest is the same. An older block can be retro fitted to gear driven cam by using the newer style crank, camshaft and gears. The timing cover can be modified to work. The rods are slightly different but the newer fits the older.

So for the most part, all the parts are available new and used. If it is a solid core it should be a great rebuild. You can rebuild it and keep it in its original configuration with new parts if so desired. Good luck and keep us posted!

gmwillys
07-28-2020, 06:36 PM
Welcome Brian!

The parts are interchangeable for all L134 engines. The oil bath air cleaner may be of a different configuration. I haven't found a picture of the engine bay on the Americar in stock for to confirm. I believe that 98% of all cars made became either drag cars or hot rods, so stock examples aren't readily available.

To add pictures, go to the Go Advanced button at the bottom right of the reply box. Then pick from the file you want to use your pictures from.

We look forward to seeing more of your engine build. One of members Pelago is in the process of rebuilding his F134 engine. The meat of the engine are the same sans the head and intake being different.

bmorgil
07-29-2020, 07:20 AM
A little help on adding photo's here.. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2451-How-to-post-a-picture-in-a-thread

Brian Waller
07-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the help. I do have another question, Where does the oil filter canister go, My engine (L-134) did not have this on it when I got it? and where does the oil lines go?? When I got my engine the oil filter was bypass.

Here another question, How does the distributor get broken off at the oil pump, the staff broken off at the oil pump? Any ideas? This is the reasons for my engine rebuild.

I hope I get some help here.

Thanks,
Brian Waller

bmorgil
07-29-2020, 11:30 AM
Here is a picture of where the oil filter goes. The pressure line goes from the main oil galley in the block in front of the fuel pump, to the top of the filter canister. The return line goes from the bottom of the canister, to the top passenger side of the timing cover.

I am thinking you mean the distributor housing is broken? If so the distributors are notorious in these for seizing up in the block. I have seen people do terrible things that might break it off. If you mean the shaft is broken where it engages the oil pump, I would suspect something got in the pump and tied it up.

Put up some pictures so we can see what you are running into. You need to be sure to reference the Tech Library section of this forum. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/forumdisplay.php?23-Tech-Library Links to all the manuals for your project are there.

Brian Waller
07-31-2020, 04:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the information. My engine came with no oil filter on it. My oil filter was bypass. I temporary put back put my oil line back on and took a picture just to show everyone. I will add pictures later. My timing cover have no hole in it for the oil line too go in. The picture I took will show what I am talking about. I will also try to upload pictures of my engine rebuild.

Thanks

Brian Waller
08-01-2020, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I will try to uploaded a picture. This picture will show where my oil line ran.

Well the picture will not upload, so I am going to tell you, My oil lines, in which bypass the oil filter, ran from the oil line plug below the fuel pump on the engine block and went up to the back bolt hole of fuel pump.

I hope this help some.

Brian Waller

TJones
08-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Thats not right at all.
I dont think I have ever seen a "Jerry Rig" quite like what you have there.

LarrBeard
08-01-2020, 10:51 AM
That's only not right, it approaches sick and wrong. Send us pictures of your timing gear cover - several views. This isn't hard to make right!

But, this started out as an Americar engine and it may not have a return fitting on the timing gear cover, we have learned not to say "Willys would have never ...." .

bmorgil
08-01-2020, 03:05 PM
OK that tells the story. That is not "hooked up" like that Brian. Someone just stuck it in there. I see your confusion. There is no doubt it wont work there as the fuel pump wont even be able to be bolted on. Someone stuck the other end of the oil line in the fuel pump mount bolt hole.

The line from the block is the pressure line. It goes from the block to the top of the oil filter. Take a picture of the timing cover for us and we will see where the other "return" line goes.

Here is a link on posting photos: https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2451-How-to-post-a-picture-in-a-thread

Brian Waller
08-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Hi there,

I know that my engine is the original 1941 Willys Americar Engine, L-134, 4 cyl flathead with a three speed with reverse standard transmission (T84 - G).

My engine came with no oil filter on it when I got it. The picture show where the oil line ran with the oil filter bypass. My timing chain cover is the original cover with no hole for the oil return line. The timing chain is getting oil somehow, I not sure how. I will try to take more pictures and try to upload my over pictures I have.

Thanks
Brian Waller

bmorgil
08-02-2020, 06:30 AM
Good Brian, post more pictures. Your engine does not run the way it is in the picture you posted. There are a few parts missing. Make sure you go to the tech section and go to the manuals for your engine. You will not be able to do this without the manuals. To "bypass" the oil filter in an L134 you plug the oil port on the engine block and the return line port on the timing cover. There would be no "By-Pass" line. It is possible the line that is stuck in the fuel pump hole, went to a remote oil filter somewhere. It is also possible your oil filter is simply missing and that is the line that used to go to it. In any event, the fuel pump goes where the line is. The timing chain is oiled by a "jet" orifice in the block next to the gears. The filter oil return is not how the timing chain is primarily oiled.

Take a thorough look at the manuals and see if that helps with this. Keep us posted with photos and your progress.

The Tech Forum here:
https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/forumdisplay.php?23-Tech-Library

The L134 Engine:
https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2278-TM9-8015-1-Engine-and-Clutch-for-1-4-Ton-4x4-Utility-Truck-M38A1

Brian Waller
08-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Hi there,

I have searching for weeks on end just to find picture of a 1941 Willys Americar engine, I have found two different pictures showing the engine in an 1941 Willys Americar.

I hope to find more pictures, but I still looking.

Thanks,
Brian Waller

bmorgil
08-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Those photos are showing the canister on the opposite side it is usually on in the Willys Jeeps. In any event, you can see the PRESSURE line coming in from the passenger side of the engine. There must be a pressure port on that side. I am not aware of one. I cannot tell where the oil RETURN line is going. It comes out of the bottom of the can. You can see the fuel pump is installed. The return line does not go there.

Brian Waller
08-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Hi there,

I am uploading some pictures of my timing chain cover and what is left of my distributor.

My timing chain cover

The next picture is what is left of my distributor, the small metal piece below the distributor is the piece that broke off, which engage into the oil pump. I broke my distributor in pieces trying to remove it from my engine block, it was rusted in.
Original distributor ID: Autolite IGW4129

I am just wondering if the new replacement distributor will work?

Also I have gotten my engine gaskets set and my new oil pump. The oil pump is a little different then my old oil pump, bolting up to block, but I think I can make it work. I will take more pictures.

Also I need to need to figure out the Valve timing with pistons?

I hope this will help out and I do hope I will get some help.

Brian Waller

bmorgil
08-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Quite a project there Brian! Your timing cover indeed has no provision for the return. Not all of the early 134's produced had an oil filtration system. It is possible someone added a filter. The return needs to go to a non pressurized spot. The pressure line should hook up to the port next to the fuel pump in the front of the engine. You can install a return line fitting in the timing cover.

The replacement distributors will work. The broken piece is the drive tab for the distributor. The shaft must have seized and the ab sheared off.

What are you trying to figure out about the valve timing?

Brian Waller
08-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone have an old distributors from 1941, Autolite IGW4129.
I need a new one.

Thanks
Brian Waller