PDA

View Full Version : Running rough.

okiemark
08-20-2020, 08:50 PM
Well, I was bragging on how smooth my motor was running and a week or so back suddenly it started running a little rough. I had to speed the idle up some, messed with the mixture screw, but couldn't get it like it was. It is not a solid miss and doesn't seem to miss at higher RPM but it is kind of an intermittent miss. My first thought was something got in something in the carb, but could it be points as well? Points is one thing I did not replace so I wouldn't mind throwing a new set at it anyway.

gmwillys
08-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Condenser would be the top of the list, along with points. Make sure you don't have carbon tracks on the contacts inside of the distributor cap. The next item would be to check the resistance in the plug wires.

bmorgil
08-21-2020, 07:08 AM
Since it just started up on you, if it is getting a little moist in the morning (dew), I would definitely take a look for some carbon tracing. A little dirt and carbon in the cap, some wearing plugs and points and a little moisture, and it can start to intermittently misfire. The old ignition systems do not leave much room for error. Good clean sharp points, clean cap and distributor housing, sharp plug electrodes and they tic like a clock. They don't tolerate any loss of voltage very well.

okiemark
08-21-2020, 08:32 AM
Since I put a new kit in the carb in the beginning, I'm leaning toward ignition. I did pull the plugs and cleaned and re gapped just because it is so easy. I think I'm going with some points and condenser and check out the distributor cap like you said. Thanks.

5JeepsAz
08-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Bad gas. It's always bad gas.

LarrBeard
08-21-2020, 06:53 PM
That's what my wife says about me "Ugh, really bad gas.."

bmorgil
08-21-2020, 08:01 PM
There are vehicles that will run on that.

pelago
08-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Stupic]d comment maybe possible you got #2 and #3 wire out of order, easy to do, (i know i did it)

bmorgil
08-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Definitely easy to do! .... And I aint gonna admit it.

okiemark
08-23-2020, 09:58 AM
No, it started it at once while I was putting around the yard. When I cleaned the plugs, I did it one at a time. Learned that lesson a long time ago. It is not a solid miss, it is an intermittent miss and I had to adjust the idle speed faster to keep it running when idling.

5JeepsAz
08-24-2020, 10:00 PM
Real recently mine had a piece of metal shaving must have fell into the distributor cap when off, a tiny shaving. Guy stuck a magnet in the cap and waggled it around and plunk, the thing jumped into the magnet. Dangdest thing I ever saw. Screwed up the whole works just by bouncing around intermittently. Removed it, cleaned the works, Working great still.

okiemark
08-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Well, I ordered a tune up kit which includes cap, rotor, points and condenser. See if that works.

mrgrtt123
08-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Restoring a classic car is really hard nowadays. My Dad is having a hard time looking for auto parts lately but I can see him having fun with his built.

okiemark
08-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Well, fortunately it's pretty easy to find parts, new or used, for these Jeeps.