PDA

View Full Version : Parts Question

Xatten
08-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have any idea whether 47 Panel Delivery parts will crossover to a 58 Panel Delivery? I have the 58 and have found a 47 relatively close that has a better body. I just don’t know about the rest. Thanks.

gmwillys
08-22-2020, 10:10 PM
The dashboard on forward to the front bumper is different on the '47. The dash would be the toughest part to change over, but not impractical.

Xatten
08-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Gmwillys, thank you. I understand the passenger side floor panel is different also? Or maybe it’s the drivers. I’ll have to go back and look. Anyway the body is better on the 47 and somebody past has the brake pedal repositioned way too far left on the 58.., so I hope to get all that squared away.

gmwillys
08-23-2020, 09:14 AM
It depends on if it is a 4 wheel drive or not. The '47 was more than likely a two wheel drive, because most were true delivery vehicles. The difference is the floor pan would be cut to fit around the transfercase on the4X4.

The brake modification should be reversible in order to make it drivable.

Xatten
08-23-2020, 03:20 PM
So I went ahead and bought the 47. Gave $1200 for it. The body is much nicer than the 58 except the 47 has a tailgate and hatch. Not sure how much I like that but we’ll see after it’s delivered. It is a 4wd so that’s a plus. I think I’m going to use the 47 body on the 58 chassis or maybe just swap parts over from the 58. I do like the 58 dash better than the 47s though.

gmwillys
08-24-2020, 05:10 AM
The tailgate and hatch have their plus sides and minuses. It really boils down to personal preference. Does your '58 have side windows? If so, do they look like an after thought? There was a factory conversion to add windows, and they were called Parkway conversions, due to the facility to where they were worked. This took a standard sedan delivery and made it into a more versatile wagon with the ambulance doors, but better visibility for maneuvering.

http://www.ewillys.com/2012/08/12/parkway-conversion-brochure-on-ebay/

Xatten
08-24-2020, 05:15 AM
Nope, no side windows. Was the 47 the only year to get a tailgate? I sure do thank you for all the info.

gmwillys
08-24-2020, 08:53 AM
No problem at all. We are here to serve.

No, the tailgate was available throughout the entire production run. I have a '63 that the tailgate will need to have some major surgery to repair some rust issues on.

bmorgil
08-24-2020, 11:12 AM
I like the serious whip antenna on the left rear quarter! My dad had one of those on the family station wagon for his HAM radio.

gmwillys
08-24-2020, 11:23 AM
The hole for the antenna is an easy fix. The two holes for the hitch going through the embossed Willys on the bumper is what cringes me. Still an easy fix, but why would someone do that!

Xatten
08-24-2020, 07:27 PM
That’s funny, mine has the same antenna mount in the same place. Must have been a popular thing to have on your Willys.

scoutingranch
08-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Whoa', a '47 panel?, in better shape than the '58 and you are not inclined to keep the '47 intact? I'm missing something...and pictures. How early (Vin) of a panel is the '47 ? Before you plug in the Sazall, take a breath.

LarrBeard
08-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Here are the two panel layouts:

The biggest issue would be that the '47 temp gauge would read bass-ackwards with the sensor in the '58. I fought that for several years and I finally fixed it. The other gauges should hook up to the '58 sensors (oil and fuel) and the ammeter doesn't really care. The speedometer cable in the '58 should hook up to the '47 speedometer.

Light switches will take a little doing, but no real problem.

BUT - condition of gauges in the '47 might make that a totally different story....

gmwillys
08-25-2020, 03:09 PM
Condition of the '47 will dictate exactly where you'll take the build. A better body is nice, but if it has been gutted of all piece parts, then I would use the best of both worlds. There are reasons you'll likely never see a "numbers matching" factory original Willys. They were built with the premise of being a custom vehicle from the factory. I like to be as original as I can, but prudence takes precedence.

bmorgil
08-25-2020, 03:40 PM
but prudence takes precedence.

Definitely agree with that gm!! Better to have a nice one that is period correct than none at all.

Xatten
08-26-2020, 05:13 PM
Well, the body on the 47 is waay better than the 58, so I’m thinking about cutting the front end off the 58 and welding it to the 47 chassis. That would make a better fit than moving everything to the 58 chassis. The 47 is missing a lot but so is the 58. I like the dash in the 58 better than the 47. The gages are in sad shape on the 47. There’s nothing forward of the firewall left except body panels in the 47. Well, there is a 327 that’s probably locked up that will have to come out. The 58 has a 350 in it that runs. You see my dilemma now. Both of these have been murdered. It’ll be a FrankenWillys.

gmwillys
08-26-2020, 09:19 PM
Snap some pictures of both bodies so we can help brainstorm. I have our '63 with the body off the frame currently, so it wouldn't take a minute to take some measurements.
The' 47 with the '58 dash and front clip would work, but you might be better off with the 58 frame for any difference in the mount for the grill. You have both, so it will be easy to compare.

bmorgil
08-27-2020, 12:49 PM
This is going to be very cool.

5JeepsAz
08-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Prudence takes precedence... Love that. However, parts play a part too, since you can't eat what you don't grow. This one is going to be a fun build to watch

Xatten
08-27-2020, 07:41 PM
I went and took a look for the VIN Plate and, unfortunately it’s gone. Which explains why it was bill of sale only and no title. On the other hand, I do have the title to the 58. Either way, one these bodies will end up sporting a 58 Serial Number. I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow or this weekend. Not sure how or even if I can put them on here. Thanks to all of you again.