View Full Version : Virtual Willys MB

Pages : 1 [2]

bluesblooded
12-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Here are three new renderings

7158 7159 7160

bluesblooded
12-01-2020, 11:39 AM
I am sure there will be a market for "finished" and "assembly required". It will be interesting to see where you need to price it to make it worth your while. Inevitably you have one nice prototype!

Thanks, I'll have a small collection of them. Can't wait to know more as well.

5JeepsAz
12-01-2020, 10:01 PM
This is a tough one. How much money I've wasted on Jeeps I couldn't say. Way too much though, and more than half of it senselessly. How much I'd spend on a very cool model, I just don't know know. Never bought one. And what size? That would depend. Desktop, jeep shelf, or workbench? All I can say is I am currently looking into the purchase of one of those models you are building. And I want one of em. Lol.

bmorgil
12-02-2020, 06:31 AM
A Christmas wish for you and your need for toys AZ! https://www.banggood.com/ROCHOBBY-1-or-6-2_4G-2CH-1941-MB-SCALER-RC-Car-Waterproof-Vehicle-Models-Fully-Proportional-Control-p-1657243.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-us-pc&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=skyline-ssc-us-cpx-vehicle-1017&ad_id=473429355098&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpsc1sL-i7T18-r9o55lxiDbMkAwO_ACgJGXFLjNv-PiZQHqw-eTxWEaAtKPEALw_wcB&cur_warehouse=USA

bluesblooded
12-02-2020, 09:22 AM
This is a tough one. How much money I've wasted on Jeeps I couldn't say. Way too much though, and more than half of it senselessly. How much I'd spend on a very cool model, I just don't know know. Never bought one. And what size? That would depend. Desktop, jeep shelf, or workbench? All I can say is I am currently looking into the purchase of one of those models you are building. And I want one of em. Lol.

I hope we can manage for you to have one!

A Christmas wish for you and your need for toys AZ! https://www.banggood.com/ROCHOBBY-1-or-6-2_4G-2CH-1941-MB-SCALER-RC-Car-Waterproof-Vehicle-Models-Fully-Proportional-Control-p-1657243.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=minha&utm_campaign=minha-us-pc¤cy=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=skyline-ssc-us-cpx-vehicle-1017&ad_id=473429355098&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpsc1sL-i7T18-r9o55lxiDbMkAwO_ACgJGXFLjNv-PiZQHqw-eTxWEaAtKPEALw_wcB&cur_warehouse=USA

Wow that is incredible, I want one. The level of details is awesome. There is no comparison with injection molding. Scale 1:6 Remote controlled. That is a great deal

I spent yesterday compiling information in a spreadsheet to see what is my break even point. It's horrible. Here's the breakdown

Scale 1:10
Filament required 875 grams -> 39.25$
113 printing hours. Cost of printer wear and power consumption is estimated at 0.50$ / hour -> 56.50$
Screws (breakdown is not complete yet) Estimate -> 30$
Shipping Estimate ->25$
Etsy selling fees for direct sale 10% of selling price (this will increase if I add a profit margin) -> 20$

Total break even cost: 170$ Canadian Dollars. At the current exchange rate it's around 132$ US Dollars

Scale 1:6 filament and printing time is multiplied by 1.67
Filament required 1500 grams -> 65.54$
188 printing hours. Cost of printer wear and power consumption is estimated at 0.50$ / hour -> 94$
Screws (breakdown is not complete yet) Estimate -> 30$
Shipping Estimate ->25$
Etsy selling fees for direct sale 10% of selling price (this will increase if I add a profit margin) -> 25$

Total break even cost: 240$ Canadian Dollars. At the current exchange rate it's around 185$ US Dollars

These figures do not take into account that inevitably, some prints will fail and will need to be reprinted. It does not take into account the time required to monitor the printer, the start/end of jobs clean up and the time to assemble. Printing a 1:10 scale will take 10 days at 12h/day. The 1:6 will take 16 days at 12h/day.

This technology is obviously for hobbies only. And this is exactly what I'm doing here, having fun. I'm in no way shape or form starting a business with all the crap that it entails.

I think the only way to recuperate a little bit of the money invested in this hobby is to sell the digital files and the prototypes printed in the development phase.

Therefore, I will have only a couple of 1:10 and 1:6 to sell in the upcoming weeks/months. After that, I may consider special orders.

If this is something that anyone would like to buy, feel free to contact me directly by either private message or email.

5JeepsAz
12-02-2020, 08:04 PM
Let's get this one off the assembly line and see what is what when it's done! Another option is trade value. Bartering is a thing. This is a great build.

bluesblooded
12-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Let's get this one off the assembly line and see what is what when it's done! Another option is trade value. Bartering is a thing. This is a great build.

That sounds good AZ.

When trying to complete the prototype with the latest 3d parts, I broke the windshield bracket while removing it.

I printed another one and I snapped it with my fingers along the print line.

So I decided to change the direction of the print.

Here you can see the printing lines running along the shaft

Tried to snap it with my fingers and it would not snap.

The next scene contains subject that may not be suited to everyone. This is the result of torture using pliers, faint of heart beware.

The bracket resisted!

5JeepsAz
12-03-2020, 07:12 PM
Are we back to inserting a metal pin? Sort of important, the foldable windscreen!

bluesblooded
12-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Are we back to inserting a metal pin? Sort of important, the foldable windscreen!

There is no way to insert a pin in there, it's a weird curved shape and it's only 3mm diameter. But no worries, the new print orientation looks to be tough enough to keep the windscreen foldable.

7168 7169

I need to revisit the way the back and front portion of tub mate together.

I'm waiting for skin color filament to print the seats and the soft top.

5JeepsAz
12-04-2020, 10:24 PM
Tuning in for my daily dose of what's good about this world and you've delivered again! How cool is that thing! Not being knowledgeable in gigantic torpedo launchers, is that armament to scale?!? Wtg man. Coming along.

bmorgil
12-05-2020, 06:59 AM
Wow coming along, almost there. Yup that armament looks pretty good AZ! I am thinking pelago knows how its supposed to look, I think he has used one.

bluesblooded
12-05-2020, 08:00 AM
Tuning in for my daily dose of what's good about this world and you've delivered again! How cool is that thing! Not being knowledgeable in gigantic torpedo launchers, is that armament to scale?!? Wtg man. Coming along.

I have no clue about guns, even worse on machine guns.

Wow coming along, almost there. Yup that armament looks pretty good AZ! I am thinking pelago knows how its supposed to look, I think he has used one.

Thanks for confirming that it looks appropriate.

I used these two pictures without knowing whether they are a proper reference of the real thing almost 80 years ago. I think they are referenced as M31 machine guns.

7176. 7177

Az, it's going to be hard to provide regular new info for your daily dose, printer is printing 10 hours per day, but nothing much else worth showing going on. Working mostly on documentations.

Here's how I hope to fix the mating of the tub. I started with your overlap comment a couple of pages down, then wanted to make sure it would not slip one way or the other. So I came up with this extrusion on the back side and added screw tabs under to attach the two portions together.

The opposite has a 0.1mm wider slot for tolerance so it fits easier.

Here's the last two days of printing non stop

The military green is a bit lighter shade than I wish it'd be, but it beats painting the parts. Side by side comparison is not helping, but by itself I think it will be close enough.

5JeepsAz
12-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Printing those seats and a top is gonna be fascinating. It's been close to render thus far, so if you pull off the seat to match the render, it'll be astonishing. Yours is the fastest build from ground up ever. Did you ever mention if you are going to print your own decals or get from somewhere?

bluesblooded
12-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Printing those seats and a top is gonna be fascinating. It's been close to render thus far, so if you pull off the seat to match the render, it'll be astonishing. Yours is the fastest build from ground up ever. Did you ever mention if you are going to print your own decals or get from somewhere?

I will print my own decals. I don't know yet what I want exactly. I will for sure do the name plates and dials on the dash. Not sure what or if I will do on the body.

Since I will not have much to show, I thought that I may show you the pictures I'm working on for the build document. If it's of no interest, let me know.

7183 7184 7185 7186 7187

bluesblooded
12-06-2020, 08:19 AM
7188 7189

That's it for today!

bluesblooded
12-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Here are the next 5 for the front axle

7190 7191 7192 7193 7194

gmwillys
12-07-2020, 04:22 AM
The Browning 30 Cal is right on the money. That is the smaller of the two machine guns used for the machine gun mount, with the other being a M2 Browning .50 Cal machine gun. Fun fact, we still use the M2 .50 Cal today on our modern military machines. The M2 (Ma Deuce) has been in operation since the end of WWI.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-m2-machine-gun-or-browning-50-caliber-50-cal-machine-gun-heavy-149264398.html

bluesblooded
12-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Thanks GM, always a pleasure to get accurate information and pictures! I read later that the M31 refers to the machine gun mount.

Pictures of the transmission and transfer case assembly

7199 7200 7201 7202 7203

bluesblooded
12-07-2020, 09:05 AM
Pictures of the suspension assembly and putting it all together with the frame

7204 7205 7206 7207 7208

LarrBeard
12-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Ma Deuce is the ultimate fight stopper!

gmwillys
12-07-2020, 10:03 AM
At one time we didn't have a mock up M2 to sight in the remote weapons system, (RWS) which utilizes a heavy barrel M2 Browning. We would have to check out a M2 from the government armory. Our mode of transportation on the depot were golf carts. Two of us would have to go and sign for the weapon, then cruise back to the shop to perform the boresight. Nothing makes a golf cart cooler then having a Ma Deuce leaned un against the seat, in between two guys. Now they use a gutted out shell of a 240C or a carcass of a Browning with nothing more than a charging handle and a barrel. The weapon was there just to hold the bore scope/laser sight to adjust the camera sight to both were zeroed in sink.

5JeepsAz
12-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Look at those drawings! You must be having a grand old time. This is definitely going somewhere as far as marketing. You know may be there is some history buff out there who wants some of this? "Building History - a modern take on the manufacturing of Jeep that saved the world". (Box set available, maps, materials, and the untold declassified true story of 'Magoo' as told in special badging documenting his greatest Victories). You'd have to get the story of Magoo, of course.

bluesblooded
12-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Ma Deuce is the ultimate fight stopper!

I bet it is!

At one time we didn't have a mock up M2 to sight in the remote weapons system, (RWS) which utilizes a heavy barrel M2 Browning. We would have to check out a M2 from the government armory. Our mode of transportation on the depot were golf carts. Two of us would have to go and sign for the weapon, then cruise back to the shop to perform the boresight. Nothing makes a golf cart cooler then having a Ma Deuce leaned un against the seat, in between two guys. Now they use a gutted out shell of a 240C or a carcass of a Browning with nothing more than a charging handle and a barrel. The weapon was there just to hold the bore scope/laser sight to adjust the camera sight to both were zeroed in sink.

Fascinating! Probably the most intimidating golf cart out there.

Look at those drawings! You must be having a grand old time. This is definitely going somewhere as far as marketing. You know may be there is some history buff out there who wants some of this? "Building History - a modern take on the manufacturing of Jeep that saved the world". (Box set available, maps, materials, and the untold declassified true story of 'Magoo' as told in special badging documenting his greatest Victories). You'd have to get the story of Magoo, of course.

Yes I'm having a lot of fun trying to make everything look as professional as I can. You are the master of marketing here. You have plenty of great ideas.

Still working on the images that will be included in the build document, while the printer is spitting out small jeep parts.

Engine, Radiator and front grill
7209 7210 7211 7212

bluesblooded
12-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Tires, Wheels and tub
7213 7214 7215 7216 7217

bluesblooded
12-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Attaching tub on frame, pedals, steering wheel, fenders, headlights and hood.
7218 7219 7220 7221 7222

5JeepsAz
12-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Totally professional. Wtg

bluesblooded
12-09-2020, 03:27 PM
Thanks AZ,

Glass template, and windhsield assembly
7229 7230 7231 7232 7233

bluesblooded
12-09-2020, 03:30 PM
First three pictures are for steps I forget to insert before assembling the tub. The last two are in the proper order

7235 7236 7237 7234 7238

bluesblooded
12-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Here are the last 5 pictures that will go into the build guide., seats, tub details, muffler and finally optional items.

7239 7240 7241 7242 7243

Will put all these pictures in a build guide. I will share it with you when completed.

okiemark
12-09-2020, 04:07 PM
That looks amazing!

5JeepsAz
12-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Developing a wiper obsession here. I'm watching closely to see if maybe I can just print me some for my buggy! Gotta compliment your eye for detail. When I started following this build I had no idea how cool it would be. How's the ten hours a day printer doing? Still spitting out cool jeep parts?

bluesblooded
12-09-2020, 08:12 PM
That looks amazing!

Thanks Mark!

Developing a wiper obsession here. I'm watching closely to see if maybe I can just print me some for my buggy! Gotta compliment your eye for detail. When I started following this build I had no idea how cool it would be. How's the ten hours a day printer doing? Still spitting out cool jeep parts?

Thanks Az, sorry for inducing a wiper obsession. Yes the printer is spitting Jeep parts like clockwork. Can't say the same about the darn CAD software that just stop working all the time. I always need to reinstall, a real pain in the butt.

It's a good thing I test print every file, I'm still finding errors I introduced along the development. This just happen tonight

The wall sides around the screw holes are missing. Which was not the case before. Went back in the model to see that at one point I decided to enlarge the hole to the "Loose" dimension since it did not need to threaded in this portion. The "loose" dimension is 2.2mm the thickness of the spring is 3mm. This leaves a wall of .4 mm all around. This is just dandy, my nozzle is 0.4mm, should work just fine. But nope, the slicer software is making 0.45mm thick walls. So it just decided not to print that portion.

I have to go back in the model and either reduce the hole size to 2mm and thread the screw or thicken the walls a little bit. I kind of lean towards thickening the wall, but that will impact the rear and front axles that will require equivalent changes and to be reprinted. So I need to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

5JeepsAz
12-09-2020, 10:29 PM
I've been living in a spreadsheet and it hurts my brain. I don't even want to contemplate the 3 dimensional chess in a CAD program. Read somewheres that even spreadsheets degrade when replicated. What is that all about? Natural selection? Lol. Which brings to mind my most pressing question. How does a digital clock slow down? See, it's all about.......... That's why I read your thread! Only thing that makes any sense. No jeep, then suddenly jeep. Perfect!!

bluesblooded
12-10-2020, 08:58 AM
I've been living in a spreadsheet and it hurts my brain. I don't even want to contemplate the 3 dimensional chess in a CAD program. Read somewheres that even spreadsheets degrade when replicated. What is that all about? Natural selection? Lol. Which brings to mind my most pressing question. How does a digital clock slow down? See, it's all about.......... That's why I read your thread! Only thing that makes any sense. No jeep, then suddenly jeep. Perfect!!

I'm not saying it's aliens, but ... it's probably aliens.

5JeepsAz
12-10-2020, 08:06 PM
It's absolutely freaking aliens bruh. No doubt about it.

bluesblooded
12-11-2020, 01:27 PM
My build document is ready. If you have the time, please take a look and comment on anything that can be improved.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v6_8RyTFu8EA7XaARXh473nla0SwytxI?usp=sharing

Thanks

5JeepsAz
12-11-2020, 07:39 PM
I'm wondering if there's a library in this site? I can get into from there maybe. I'd love to see how you did this

bmorgil
12-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Top Notch presentation Andre'. Thanks for letting me participate!

okiemark
12-11-2020, 08:21 PM
Have you thought about the idea of selling that as a model kit?

bluesblooded
12-12-2020, 07:31 AM
I'm wondering if there's a library in this site? I can get into from there maybe. I'd love to see how you did this

Az, I'm not sure I understand. Library in what site? how I did what exactly?

Top Notch presentation Andre'. Thanks for letting me participate!

Im the lucky one, thanks bmorgil

Have you thought about the idea of selling that as a model kit?

Yes, I'm still thinking about it. Yesterday, while assembling the 1:10, I broke a pedal. Not a big deal 9 minutes later I had another one.

But how do I deal with that with a customer of a kit? I'm thinking maybe a 1:8 scale would be stronger. One other avenue I'm thinking is that if someone breaks a part, I send them the file and they have someone locally print it.

The other factor is that it won't be cheap, as I stated my break even cost earlier, I'm not sure there is a market out there. But it's not a big deal either to try to sell one on Etsy at a fair price. The price of adding an item in Etsy is 0.20$ So if it does not sell because too expensive, I have not lost much.

5JeepsAz
12-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Maybe there is a library or resources section on this forum site where the free version of your build documents might go eventually!

bluesblooded
12-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Maybe there is a library or resources section on this forum site where the free version of your build documents might go eventually!

That would be great!

bluesblooded
12-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Got the skin color filament late this afternoon. Could not wait to see how the seat would turn out.

7257 7258

In two days, I shall attempt to print the top.

5JeepsAz
12-14-2020, 11:35 PM
Awesome. What is the difference between the material in the seats and the rest?

bluesblooded
12-15-2020, 05:43 AM
Awesome. What is the difference between the material in the seats and the rest?

Only the color, it's the same base ingredient: PLA.

bmorgil
12-15-2020, 07:02 AM
This is great, the Genesis continues.

bluesblooded
12-16-2020, 01:51 PM
This is great, the Genesis continues.

Closer to end though!

Here's the top. I'm disappointed in the fit of the top. I think it's the worst part of the whole truck. I think it is due more because of the other moving parts that are not rocket precision. The windshield is not at the exact position it is in the drawing, so are the roof tubes. Which accounts for the discrepancy.

Anywho, here it is:

7285 7286 7287 7288

And for the last piece of the puzzle, I'm now testing the clear filament. Here what it looks like in the filament form

It's pretty darn clear, but once printed, it loose the clearness and looks more like a bathroom privacy glass. If someone is incline to put a led, it will shine through, but it will never be clear.

5JeepsAz
12-16-2020, 07:32 PM
"Wow. Look at that!!" says the Mrs.

top - might be an acquired taste? I still cringe at the debate between hardtop and softop. Maybe let it grow on you? Doesn't look too bad from here.

Can you polish the bathroom into a window finish?

This thing is A+ man!!

bluesblooded
12-17-2020, 01:52 PM
We'll see how the top fit on the final version. Maybe the assembly will be better.

Speaking of, here are all the printed parts:

7296 7297

And a close up of the printed transparent headlight.

Don't think I can polish the bathroom into a window finish.

I will film the assembly to try to make a build video. Should take a couple of days before I'm done.

bmorgil
12-18-2020, 06:59 AM
What a cool project! What a ton of work. This has to be very satisfying.

5JeepsAz
12-19-2020, 11:43 PM
Saw this variation on your process... using scan of existing vehicle to fashion parts virtually before they get made. Yours is better because Willy's Jeep!

Season 10, Episode 6 Land Cruisin' For a Bruisin' First Aired: June 2, 2020. A devoted father and off-road enthusiast always dreamed of having a perfect classic Land Cruiser, but his focus on family kept him and his '70 FJ off the trail. Now, his wife wants to give back to the man who gave so much. Actors: Chip Foose, Chris Jacobs, Jessi Combs

bluesblooded
12-20-2020, 06:58 AM
3D scan is the next big thing. The new smartphones with their multiple cameras can be used to 3D scan, but the result usually requires work to fix scanning problems.

Professional 3D scanners still cost a bundle. So were 3D printers 15 years ago. As price goes down, the quality for consumers level 3D scan will increase. With a 3D Printer and 3D scanner, anyone will be able to print anything without ever touching a CAD software.

The Smithsonian museums has started a couple of years ago to release 3D files of multiple items they own. For instance they digitized Apollo 11 command module.
https://3d.si.edu/

bmorgil
12-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Wow I wonder if the Command module is as detailed as your MB? I like your MB because it is an assembly of components. It is just like playing with the real thing.

bluesblooded
12-20-2020, 07:34 AM
If you were really motivated, you could rebuild every single part of the Command module using their digitized file.

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, Project Egress was put together. Using the Museum digitized files, Makers across the country reproduced all the parts to rebuild the Hatch door. The level of details is insane. They used 3D printing and CNC.

In July 2019, there was an event where they assembled all the parts. Here's a 20 minutes video summarizing the event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdF1yVBWdc

They had problems fitting some parts. It's probably because of the project being done by many different Makers with different machine that was not properly tuned to spit out perfect parts.

Then, you sit and think and you realize the level of engineering and craftsmanship that was involved to build a system of interrelated machines that would go to the moon and back when computers where in their infancy and automatization almost non existent. Unbelievable!

bmorgil
12-20-2020, 08:44 AM
That is an amazing video of an amazing feat! Te level of detail is stunning. The small issues are minute in comparison to what they did. I am sure some issues were expected. One solid group of problem solvers putting it together.

bluesblooded
12-22-2020, 04:35 PM
My friends, the 1:10 is now assembled. I broke so many parts while assembling, you wouldn't believe it. It was about time I got her completed. Almost. Still have to work the top. It's not fitting.

Here are a bunch of photographs taken this afternoon.

7310 7311 7312 7313 7314

bluesblooded
12-22-2020, 04:36 PM
7315 7316 7317 7318 7319

bluesblooded
12-22-2020, 04:38 PM
7320 7321 7322 7323 7324

bluesblooded
12-22-2020, 04:39 PM
And finally side by side, the painted prototype and the first edition!

A Merry Christmas to you all!

André

bmorgil
12-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Nice! What a cool project. It turned out excellent.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Andre'

5JeepsAz
12-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Merry Christmas Andre'!!! You've brought us a gift. I love absolutely every detail, concept, and production aspect of your Virtual Willy's MB. Well done friend! Congratulations.

bluesblooded
12-23-2020, 04:15 PM
Thank you bmorgil and Az!

Here's the new top. The fit is now perfect

7327 7328 7329 7330

I made this little addition that fit over the windshield and keeps it there.

gmwillys
12-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Very well done! The top turned out great!

bluesblooded
12-28-2020, 09:41 AM
Thanks GM,

The printing of the 1:6 scale is underway. I need to make some changes because some parts are too big to fit on the bed. For instance when I get to the tub back portion, I had to cut it in four parts.

7336 7337 7338

5JeepsAz
12-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Just gets better and better

bluesblooded
12-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Just gets better and better

Thanks, it's also getting bigger!

7353. 7354. 7355. 7356. 7357

Happy New Year Everyone! 2021 can only be better. Stay safe!

bmorgil
12-31-2020, 06:45 AM
Neat man! Really cool! Man that came a long way. Do you feel like a "Creator"? You should.

okiemark
01-01-2021, 09:32 AM
Very, very nice!

5JeepsAz
01-01-2021, 12:57 PM
My joy at seeing two versions of thee thing that got me through the end of 2020!! Happy New Year to my bff car friend the "virtual willy's mb"... oh, and Andre, good work man!

bluesblooded
01-02-2021, 07:41 PM
Neat man! Really cool! Man that came a long way. Do you feel like a "Creator"? You should.

Thanks bmorgil, I do not feel like a creator, more of a copy cat, a very proud copy cat. When I started I had big hopes, but I also had doubts on my ability to pull it off. I did it and very very happy of the results.

Very, very nice!

Thank you Mark!

My joy at seeing two versions of thee thing that got me through the end of 2020!! Happy New Year to my bff car friend the "virtual willy's mb"... oh, and Andre, good work man!

I'm glad, that it could help to get through this horrible year. A one mostly to forget as quick as possible. No worries AZ I know who the star of this show is ;-)

The body is now completely printed.

7373 7374 7375

Still about 6 days of printing details. Will keep you posted!

5JeepsAz
01-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Decals, man!!!

bluesblooded
01-08-2021, 10:56 AM
Decals, man!!!

Don't think so. I tried and it's harder than it looks. I would need to study a lot more photoshop or gimp to be able to pull it off and in all honesty, I don't have the time. I hope that someone that will buy the files to 3D print will come up with decals that I could then add to the Jeep.

Today is the day! The 1/6 is finally completed. I will print a 1/8 in the upcoming weeks. I'll come and post the results then. In the meantime here are the 1/6 pictures.

7386 7387 7388 7389 7390

bluesblooded
01-08-2021, 10:57 AM
7391 7392 7393 7394 7395

bluesblooded
01-08-2021, 10:59 AM
7396 7397 7398 7399

Thank you all for your amazing support and friendship. It's truly appreciated!

gmwillys
01-08-2021, 11:41 AM
In my opinion, decals aren't needed. A basic invasion star on the hood would be as far as I would want to go. If you were to put a USA along with a registration number of random numbers on the hood, then you would open yourself up to people wanting to fact checkers and grief. It would then snowball to the Army guys will gripe if you put the Marines on there, and the Navy guys will want the whole Jeep grey, then the Air Force/Army Air Corps guys will want a blue Jeep. Keep it simple, and people will take it for what it is, a piece of art.

Well done! It looks great!

5JeepsAz
01-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Bravo!!! Thank you for sharing the final build! Perfect.

bmorgil
01-09-2021, 06:10 AM
What a great project! Thanks for bringing us along.

TJones
01-15-2021, 06:29 AM
Truly AMAZING bluesblooded!!!!!

bluesblooded
01-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Thank you Guys!

Just wanted to let you know that the 1/8 scale is coming along as well. Should have something to show within a week.

I've put the files on sale a week ago. There is approximately 25 persons printing the MB as I write this.

I'm also going to try to convert the 1/6 scale to make it RC. The virtual Willys MB project ain't over!

bmorgil
01-18-2021, 04:19 PM
Ride on bb! Keep it coming.

okiemark
01-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Looks very nice!

bluesblooded
01-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Thank you bmorgil and okiemark!

Well the RC model will see the light of day.

Today I received my hardware.

One of my main goal is to keep the overall appearance intact. Therefore I decided to design my own transmission instead of using an off the shelf one.

7425 7426 7427

I will sell my 1/10 and 1/8 model to make some room and raise some money to pay for the RC conversion. If someone is interested, please send me a PM.

5JeepsAz
01-22-2021, 07:38 PM
Part deaux? Can't wait!

bluesblooded
01-25-2021, 08:58 AM
Part deaux? Can't wait!

Thanks, I'm glad you are in for the ride.

the 1/8 is now completed. Here are some pics of the whole family

7445 7446 7447 7448 7449

bluesblooded
01-25-2021, 09:04 AM
7450 7451 7452 7453

I'm selling the 1/10 for 125$ and the 1/8 for 150$ including shipping in Canada and US.

Will put them on Etsy later this week. For you guys, I'll give you 25$ rebate if you are interested.

pipefitter44
01-25-2021, 06:18 PM
Hi Bluesblooded,
Here are a few pictures from my GPW if it helps.
Bonne soirée mon ami
Stéphane de Ste-Thérèse

bluesblooded
01-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Hi Bluesblooded,
Here are a few pictures from my GPW if it helps.
Bonne soirée mon ami
Stéphane de Ste-Thérèse

Salut Stéphane, I would love to see your GPW after this covid stuff. I'm in Sherbrooke and wish to move to your area this year. All my family is in Montreal or the north shore. Now that I'm retired we would love to get closer.

Thanks for the picture

bmorgil
01-26-2021, 06:25 AM
Just plain cool bb! It would be awesome to meet up with Stéphane. It is pretty neat when you bump into another forum friend. Your project turned out fantastic!

pipefitter44
01-26-2021, 06:45 PM
Hi Bluesblooded,
I would be verry happy the take you on a ride.
I should be ready in mid summer.
Keep in touch
Stéphane

bluesblooded
01-26-2021, 06:52 PM
Hi Bluesblooded,
I would be verry happy the take you on a ride.
I should be ready in mid summer.
Keep in touch
Stéphane

Merci Stéphane, I will keep in touch for sure!

AJ-MJ
01-26-2021, 07:08 PM
I'm impressed! :o

bluesblooded
01-29-2021, 06:34 PM
I'm impressed! :o

Thanks AJ-MJ

A knowledgeable person told me that my original gearbox design was going to be a problem. The gear reduction was inadequate. With my configuration, the Willys would've run at 30mph.

He was very helpful and provide me with a fantastic spreadsheet to compute the gear stages and reduction. He said my goal should be between 3 and 5 mph.

I also need to build the gearbox in such a way that it will fit in the avalaible space without moding the visible parts of the Jeep.

So I came up with this gear arrangement.

7469 7470 7472

Here's a sliced view which shows I have enough room to build a housing around the gear that will fit inside.

With this new arrangement in conjunction with a 55T motor and a differential gear set up of 13 teeth /26 teeth, the Willys at full throttle will run at 4mph with 110mm tires.

That is the only thing that will clash, the tires will have nothing in common with the original. I have not found RC tires that mimics the Willys tire look.

5JeepsAz
01-30-2021, 07:22 AM
35 mph?!? Too fast! Too fast! Once you dial in your speed, remember that this thing is supposed to go the same "slow" fast uphill, downhill, underwater, over rocks, in mud, and the same fast driving in what you up there call real snow... Torque and traction and weight balancing, baby, so it does the same thing in all conditions! It is 4wheel drive, right? (So glad you are back at this)

bmorgil
01-30-2021, 08:31 AM
bb.... so it's got Ludicrous mode? It is quite possible their are a few who will aspire to that!

bluesblooded
01-30-2021, 08:41 AM
35 mph?!? Too fast! Too fast! Once you dial in your speed, remember that this thing is supposed to go the same "slow" fast uphill, downhill, underwater, over rocks, in mud, and the same fast driving in what you up there call real snow... Torque and traction and weight balancing, baby, so it does the same thing in all conditions! It is 4wheel drive, right? (So glad you are back at this)

Slow is good, I have to walk by it. Not planning to build a F1. And yes we have real snow here, so 4x4 is a must. I envy your dry hot weather. Still two and half months before it's all melted. So is Cindy home yet?

bb.... so it's got Ludicrous mode? It is quite possible their are a few who will aspire to that!

Maybe, but I doubt it will go fast very long. Everything being plastic, I bet the gears won't sustain the heat very long. We will end up with gearbox pudding.

5JeepsAz
01-30-2021, 10:11 PM
Ludicrous mode. A must! No, she's been all stop due to pandemic. They should be back to it momentarily.

bluesblooded
01-31-2021, 07:57 PM
Ludicrous mode. A must! No, she's been all stop due to pandemic. They should be back to it momentarily.

Hopefully she'll be home soon!

Worked on the gearbox housing. Will print and test in the next couple of days.

7482 7483 7484 7485 7486

bmorgil
02-01-2021, 07:10 AM
Now that's just gorgeous!

5JeepsAz
02-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Might be this week! Hey, so last time you had to futz with the material. What are challenges with materials for gears?!?

bluesblooded
02-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Now that's just gorgeous!

Thanks bmorgil, it does look great in chrome.

Might be this week! Hey, so last time you had to futz with the material. What are challenges with materials for gears?!?

The main problem is toughness and heat resistance. There is some material that are most suited for this.

Here's a table of different material with their characteristic.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/properties-table/?fbclid=IwAR2dsjEG5xM9zBMEZf3XX-AmtwAZiNkNHd4aP5SDyw0m5mE7NUOT0Uf_NxU

So the best filament would be Polycarbonate. I myself will start with PLA. The strength is probably sufficient. The problem will be the heat. But I personally do not plan to run the Willys that long. I think it will be all right. But an RC enthusiast would be better served with Polycarbonate.

Making some adjustments to the current designs.

The bearing would not fit due to the required supports for printing. So I added a recess so the bearing fits.

Here is what the wrong versions looks like. The case will not close without scraping the inside of the bearing recess. Other than that it is functional.

7488 7490

My original design was to install the gearbox inside the frame. That would prove to be a problem if the gearbox breaks. It would require a total dismantle to get it out. I created brackets in the frame that the gearbox will sit on. This way I will be able to remove screws from underneath the car and slide the gearbox out of the hood.

5JeepsAz
02-02-2021, 07:07 PM
This is unbelievable man. So great. Well, one day soon we will all see the all electric Willy's!

bluesblooded
02-03-2021, 02:37 PM
This is unbelievable man. So great. Well, one day soon we will all see the all electric Willy's!

If I could only print one at full scale!

Here's the completed gearbox

7495 7496 7497 7498

Here's a video of it running

https://youtu.be/rlaF07Awm1c

bluesblooded
02-20-2021, 08:38 AM
I had a hard time to design the bevel gear for the rear axle. Gears are way more complicated than I anticipated. Fortunately for me, someone developed an add-on program for my CAD that designs Bevel gears with provided parameters. That was money really well spent.

Here we have the beginning of a functional rear axle. Now I need to attach it to the frame.

7626 7627

bmorgil
02-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Now you have my serious attention. A functional bevel gear rear axle is moving into the future man!

bluesblooded
02-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Now you have my serious attention. A functional bevel gear rear axle is moving into the future man!

For me it was the biggest hurdle. Designing bevel gear is way beyond my understanding. I was stuck on this part for two weeks with no solution in sight. I'm very happy to have found a program that did them for me. They are working really nice and smooth. Now I'm all excited to get this thing moving. It will have my total attention these upcoming weeks.

5JeepsAz
02-20-2021, 09:23 PM
My attention reverts to materials. Lots of torque flowing through those itty bitty splines. Plastic? C'mon, man. Dip em in some metal!!!

bluesblooded
02-21-2021, 06:30 AM
My attention reverts to materials. Lots of torque flowing through those itty bitty splines. Plastic? C'mon, man. Dip em in some metal!!!

I agree, they will break. Nothing can be done about that but to buy all metal axles and transfer case. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot of enthusiast that still don't mind reprinting parts as they break them. As for me I see this as another learning experience. My design is inspired by the 3DSETS axle gear design of the Landy I showed a couple of times. They improved upon this design by replacing the single pinion/drive gears by double pinion/gears. I will look into it if it breaks too easily.

bmorgil
02-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Just remember, from an Application Engineering standpoint the gear train needs to be able to handle the maximum torque you can apply, and the horsepower you will apply for a length of time. In other words, how well your gears perform depends on the power you are going to ask them to transmit. so if you are using a big gear reduction it wont take a lot of power. Just remember each time you increase the gear ratio multiplication, the torque goes up equally on the other side of the gear reduction.

bluesblooded
02-21-2021, 07:44 AM
Just remember, from an Application Engineering standpoint the gear train needs to be able to handle the maximum torque you can apply, and the horsepower you will apply for a length of time. In other words, how well your gears perform depends on the power you are going to ask them to transmit. so if you are using a big gear reduction it wont take a lot of power. Just remember each time you increase the gear ratio multiplication, the torque goes up equally on the other side of the gear reduction.

Thanks bmorgil, I will keep this in mind. So if I understand well, if my actual setup (pinion 10T, Drive 20T) is too fragile, I could make it tougher by increasing the Pinion number of teeth? For example pinion 15T, Drive 20T. But this will also impact the top speed as it should go faster with a smaller reduction ratio right?

bmorgil
02-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Correct BB. No free lunch! For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. However... If you don't have the horsepower to go faster, it wont. So the final effect of "under-powering" for reliability is a longer lasting slower accelerating vehicle.

We must stop now or we will uncover the deep secret of why "Hot Rodders" can't keep their hands off of things and just have to find out if it will go faster and what will break next.

5JeepsAz
02-28-2021, 01:11 PM
How we doing on your build?

bluesblooded
02-28-2021, 03:20 PM
How we doing on your build?

It moves!

https://youtu.be/AQ8VHKzdLEI

7702 7703 7704 7705

I needed to do some changes to the the frame to accommodate the shorter leaf spring.

Now I will tackle the complex front axle.

bmorgil
02-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Fantastic! Wow is that cool. I love it. It is unbelievable, you designed and printed every part in it.

bluesblooded
02-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Fantastic! Wow is that cool. I love it. It is unbelievable, you designed and printed every part in it.

Thanks bmorgil, I'm amazed as well how far this project as come. To see it move is quite fun for me.

5JeepsAz
02-28-2021, 09:36 PM
you can officially say "it runs and drives". Now there's some debate about not saying it steers or stops. But that thing definitely runs and drives. Remarkable. Way to go!

bluesblooded
03-11-2021, 08:58 AM
you can officially say "it runs and drives". Now there's some debate about not saying it steers or stops. But that thing definitely runs and drives. Remarkable. Way to go!

It now steers and stops.

https://youtu.be/J-g14kIYU_k

bmorgil
03-11-2021, 01:12 PM
Very nice bb!!! Wow has this project come a long way. Talk about from paper to pavement!

5JeepsAz
03-11-2021, 02:32 PM
WOW. Awesome... Hey check this out. Speaking a variants...

Jay Leno And The ‘Huge Bug’ | Jay Leno's Garage | …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0xABGHRw0

bluesblooded
03-13-2021, 12:30 PM
Very nice bb!!! Wow has this project come a long way. Talk about from paper to pavement!

Still can't believe how much I've done and learned.

WOW. Awesome... Hey check this out. Speaking a variants...

Jay Leno And The ‘Huge Bug’ | Jay Leno's Garage | …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0xABGHRw0

That is a big bug.

The last couple of days were spent solidifying the parts. After 1 minute in the snow I broke the output shaft and a steering buckle.

I changed the orientation of the printing to provide toughness in the other direction. It paid off. after replacing critical parts with the new orientation, I was able to test drive it in the snow for 30 minutes without any breaks. I believe it will be tough enough for a 3D printed car.

Here's a small video

https://youtu.be/CCBg7JOnHgw

LarrBeard
03-13-2021, 02:25 PM
Well, you can tell it's an MB. It goes through snow up to the frame and bounces hard enough to put things in your throat that shouldn't go that high.

Great Job!

bluesblooded
03-13-2021, 04:26 PM
Well, you can tell it's an MB. It goes through snow up to the frame and bounces hard enough to put things in your throat that shouldn't go that high.

Great Job!

Thanks Larry, you really made me laugh!

5JeepsAz
03-13-2021, 07:36 PM
Love how it dug out of the snow! Looking forward to seeing it go with the body on and passengers. So great! That big bug was done using a similar computer aided process. Made me think of your build.

5JeepsAz
03-20-2021, 10:10 AM
How's it going & what's the update? Hey, we need your rule added over on my thread. What have we missed?

bluesblooded
03-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Love how it dug out of the snow! Looking forward to seeing it go with the body on and passengers. So great! That big bug was done using a similar computer aided process. Made me think of your build.

I did not realize it was built using computers. Probably more details on the episode itself.

How's it going & what's the update? Hey, we need your rule added over on my thread. What have we missed?

I think your rules are spot on. Don't see what to add.

Been working on documentation and printing new body parts that will fit around the RC stuff. Quite boring actually. The process of making renders is really time consuming. I hope to be done in about a week or two.

bluesblooded
04-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Almost done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ7uWTzYa_s

bmorgil
04-03-2021, 06:22 PM
Unbelievable! That is really something. All printed, just amazing. Man you put the hours into that! I love the sound. It sounds like its a worker!

5JeepsAz
04-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Andre - at the top of any and every 'Best Build' list. Remarkable. I love those tires so much. Way to go!!!

5JeepsAz
04-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Hey man, I want to buy whichever one you don't keep. On one condition. You put your name and the build print date on it somewhere. I always loved tools and builds with a sign and date stamp. Your choice if you print your signature new fangled style or if you go old school and melt it in! This thing is one for the ages. They'll be printing everything and anything soon enough.

bluesblooded
04-23-2021, 07:30 AM
Hey man, I want to buy whichever one you don't keep. On one condition. You put your name and the build print date on it somewhere. I always loved tools and builds with a sign and date stamp. Your choice if you print your signature new fangled style or if you go old school and melt it in! This thing is one for the ages. They'll be printing everything and anything soon enough.

Thanks Az, how about this for a signature?

I would glue it on the Bumper, not with tape. This is just a mockup.

bmorgil
04-23-2021, 07:39 AM
bb that is fantastic! I like the look of the "signature". It looks military issue.

5JeepsAz
04-23-2021, 04:15 PM
The old personalized plate solution, eh? Slap that on the back bumper! perfect!

bluesblooded
04-23-2021, 04:26 PM
The old personalized plate solution, eh? Slap that on the back bumper! perfect!

Ok will check how I can do it. The back bumper not being flat.

5JeepsAz
04-23-2021, 04:53 PM
Your call on final placement of your signatory im just glad itll be on there and shipping out of the print factory as model 1A

bluesblooded
04-23-2021, 06:56 PM
Your call on final placement of your signatory im just glad itll be on there and shipping out of the print factory as model 1A

I tried on the back bumper, but it won't work. Not enough to put all the letters even with the short date format. Front it will be.

5JeepsAz
04-23-2021, 08:32 PM
Perfect! Looking forward to it

bluesblooded
04-24-2021, 06:52 AM
Perfect! Looking forward to it

Silly me, when you said rear bumper, all I could see are the round shape. So I tried to fit something in there.

8235 8236

Only this morning did I realize you probably meant the center space. So I printed two options to test out

White on green

And discreet version

Please let me know which one you prefer. And if you want some personalized inscription on the front bumper, let me know, I can make that happen as well.

bluesblooded
04-24-2021, 07:19 AM
bb that is fantastic! I like the look of the "signature". It looks military issue.

Thanks bmorgil, the font is well fitting. It's called "Black OPS one"

5JeepsAz
04-24-2021, 08:25 AM
For longevity, either the white lettering on the front bumper (original placement) or center low back bumper. If anyone knows milspec that would be the only surefire way to be sure

bluesblooded
04-24-2021, 08:42 AM
For longevity, either the white lettering on the front bumper (original placement) or center low back bumper. If anyone knows milspec that would be the only surefire way to be sure

Ok I'm not going to ship in until Monday, so we may wait for our knowledgeable friends to chime in. I can also send you all of the plates and you can decide in person what you prefer and glue it yourself.

I'm packing it. The jeep is in midair. It's supported on the front and back bumpers and surrounded with air.

Hopefully it will make it to Arizona in one piece.

8239 8240 8241 8242

bluesblooded
04-24-2021, 09:14 AM
5JeepsAz, I've sent you a private message. Shipping is crazy expensive between Quebec and Arizona.

5JeepsAz
04-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Done deal! I love the build and want an original andré. If it helps explain, please know this dove tails perfectly with initiatives I've supported. The perfect example: "VitualmWillys MB". 3D printing is part of the future, imo, and your work on an original, historically accurate Jeep will speak volumes, so I don't have to. I just point to it and save people a ten minute lecture. Get this, a zoom training using a digitally based virtual jeep. Awesome.

bluesblooded
04-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Done deal! I love the build and want an original andré. If it helps explain, please know this dove tails perfectly with initiatives I've supported. The perfect example: "VitualmWillys MB". 3D printing is part of the future, imo, and your work on an original, historically accurate Jeep will speak volumes, so I don't have to. I just point to it and save people a ten minute lecture. Get this, a zoom training using a digitally based virtual jeep. Awesome.

I'm very happy that this first 1/6 will have a new home with Ms Az, Cindy and you!

bluesblooded
04-27-2021, 05:47 PM
The Willys as started it's 2640 miles journey across both our countries.

5JeepsAz
04-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Of course final inspection adjustments and shipping issues are also part of virtual builds! I'll keep you posted

5JeepsAz
05-01-2021, 10:17 AM
It is 5 days away stillq but its now in the USA... I'm busily preparing the mini gravel pit parking area with fence! However, problem. I name my things. So that's gotta be addressed.

5JeepsAz
05-03-2021, 07:47 PM
This arrived! Currently unboxing. Will edit with the update...

Speechless

So beautiful. So much detail. I'll post more later.

Andre, I'm literally just sitting here astounded, looking at this thing.Thank you for the thoughtful note. Paul

His name is ... still being determined

bluesblooded
05-04-2021, 04:36 AM
This arrived! Currently unboxing. Will edit with the update...

Speechless

So beautiful. So much detail. I'll post more later.

Andre, I'm literally just sitting here astounded, looking at this thing.Thank you for the thoughtful note. Paul

His name is ... still being determined

This is great news! Very happy it made it to your home safe and sound. I was so nervous.

51 CJ3
05-06-2021, 07:44 AM
Excellent work. Way beyond my abilities. I was barley able to design the deck in front of my house using CAD software.

bluesblooded
05-09-2021, 05:34 PM
Excellent work. Way beyond my abilities. I was barley able to design the deck in front of my house using CAD software.

Thanks Jeff!

5JeepsAz
05-10-2021, 06:53 PM
Here's the first of three riders of storms... comments and historical knowledge appreciated. We are building to be a training diorama...

bmorgil
05-11-2023, 04:06 PM
I just ran across bb's web site. Awesome stuff!

https://tessier.work/docs/willys-mb-display-build-guide/