PDA

View Full Version : Willys MB Brake Drums

NMelo
11-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Hi everybody.
Despite extensive research, I have never found an explanation for the following difference I have detected in two brake drums with the same number (245666) from a Willys MB.
In one case, the base of the drum central shaft is more inside than in the other. As a consequence, when applied to the same axle, this 2 kind of drums stay with different gaps between the drum and the plate.
Can anybody help me to clarify this?
Thank You
Nuno

LarrBeard
11-03-2020, 08:24 AM
GMWillys, this looks like a question for the wisest of wizards.

bmorgil
11-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Interesting the two castings numbers on the drums are from two different molds. One using raised identification and one using indented. It looks like the "raised" number casting is much newer. Also, the hubs pressed into the drums are different between the two. It looks like the dimensional difference is in the hub.

As soon as gm drinks his coffee we will see what he thinks!

NMelo
11-03-2020, 12:00 PM
I look forward to the answers.
I take the opportunity to add a few more photos with other numbers (beyond the 24566) in the drums that have the central shaft more inside and the outer round surface farther away. These are the least common drums, compared to those normally found in Willys MB.

gmwillys
11-08-2020, 10:50 AM
If I get a chance today, I will go out and look at some new repop drums to see how they were cast.

The drums are the same front and back, but the offset of the hubs make them look different. The rear hubs are offset more to compensate for the wider front axle.

More to follow.

NMelo
11-10-2020, 07:11 PM
Great ��
Thank You

NMelo
12-01-2020, 07:06 PM
Dear gmwillys,
No more news about this?
Thank You in advance.
Regards,
Nuno

gmwillys
12-03-2020, 05:03 AM
My apologies. I dropped the ball on this question for sure. I looked through my existing photos, and do not have any showing the drums in detail. I may be able to get some shots in the next day.

Thank you for your patience.

gmwillys
12-08-2020, 10:10 AM
I finally had a moment before the sun went down last weekend to try and capture the brake drums from our wagon. Low and behold the drums are not offset like I thought they were on the wagon. I didn't find enough time to pull the 2A out to remove the wheels to see if they were offset. I'm darned near certain that the CJs are offset just like the MBs. The new brake drums that I have do not have the hubs installed, so no luck there either. The one spare hub I have for a CJ is not offset. Don't give up on us yet, we'll get the information as soon as I get a chance to dig for it.

NMelo
12-22-2020, 07:46 PM
Thank You so much.
I am sure that we will find the answer.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". 2021 will be better then 2020.
All the best,
Nuno

5JeepsAz
12-23-2020, 06:23 PM
This guy would know. He has helped a lot of folks.

(610) 852-3110
Welcome to Walck's 4 WD Online!
We are proudly family owned and operated for over 30 years. Walck’s 4WD is located in the small town of Bowmanstown, PA, but our reach to Jeep collectors, restorers and enthusiasts is anything but small.

With over 16,000 square feet and over 10,000 items in-stock, we’ve earned our status as the world-wide premier replicator and retailer of Willys Jeep Parts and as the most dedicated Jeep restoration experts. We specialize in the restoration and preservation of all older Willys Jeeps, Kaiser Jeeps, CJ Jeeps and AMC Jeeps manufactured from 1941-1971.