PDA

View Full Version : IT'S ALIVE! However:

Patriot
11-20-2020, 02:47 PM
The oil leaks from the top of the cannister. What is the correct order of the cap and various felt, rubber, and crush washers?

LarrBeard
11-20-2020, 06:31 PM
The oil leaks from the top of the cannister. What is the correct order of the cap and various felt, rubber, and crush washers?

Element goes in the pot

Cap has a gasket around the rim

Cap goes on the pot.

There is a rubber gasket (washer) under a flange on the bolt head.

Bolt goes thru the cap, pulls rubber gasket on cap down to flange of pot.

If my memory serves me - which it doesn't do as well as it once did - I don't have a crush washer/gasket on mine, but yours may well be different.

The good news is that it generates enough oil pressure to leak!

Patriot
11-20-2020, 07:39 PM
Yep. Good oil pressure. Thanks.

bmorgil
11-21-2020, 07:03 AM
The sealing washer under the nut is a critical piece if you don't want drips. As you can read about mine, I blew oil all over a fresh restore because of that sealing washer. It is usually a copper crush washer like on the brakes. It has to be a good solid sealing washer.I tried a "soft" one and it ripped and leaked and spewed.

LarrBeard
11-21-2020, 08:30 AM
The sealing washer under the nut is a critical piece if you don't want drips. As you can read about mine, I blew oil all over a fresh restore because of that sealing washer. It is usually a copper crush washer like on the brakes. It has to be a good solid sealing washer.I tried a "soft" one and it ripped and leaked and spewed.

Dang! Now I have to look at mine to see just what is in there. But, since it's not leaking, I'm going to wait a while to take it apart...

Thompson's Rule 14(a): If it's not broken, fool around with it until it is.

bmorgil
11-21-2020, 08:53 AM
Great call Larry, if you take it apart and try to re-use the old one it will leak. Those canister type filters are just tough to seal there, no matter what vehicle they are on. If you want a perfect seal there you need to use new stuff and tighten it correctly. That said a lot of people (and I have) just reuse the old seal. It usually just weeps or drips a little.

https://www.rfjp.com/p-131-oil-filter-cover-bolt-gasket-a1233.aspx It is a 7/16" I.D. x 1" O.D. gasket