PDA

View Full Version : New Member with 1950 CJ3A

skloetzel
12-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Hello Willys folk,
I am a life-long Willys fan, who had been without a Willys for 15yrs. My first 'car' was a '63 Willys wagon, which i adventured in a 7,000mi loop around the nation, back in 1984. Later, during college I had a '51 pickup that I rebuilt with the help of a '56 parts wagon (only bought cuz it had an overdrive) - I even put a little cedar house on the back of that pickup. Later still, I got a '51 CJ3A (always my favorite model), but i never could get that running right, and with 2 kids, a demanding wife (who dislikes Jeeps), a full-time job, and a farm to run...well, just not enuf time or money. So, alas, it got sold.

Five years ago, I decided by gawd time for another one! I still needed to get that long-sought-after 'little kid thrill' of cruising around in a old jeep thru the Montana prairies and mountains where i live. After 2yrs of looking, I got a good 'Craigslist' deal on this 1950 CJ3A w/ snowplow ($1500 plus freight). Well, am thrilled to say after 3yrs of sitting it is finally up and running...pretty well anyways. The poor beast had set out in a Laramie, Wyo cow pasture for ~20yrs, and the tub was about 1/4 full of cowcrap. The wiring was eaten or rotten. A few other issues as you might imagine.

It (she?) has a later model F-Head, so yes there's a hood-bump. I cut that down to be as small as possible. Motor purrs. Converted to 12V and electric fuel pump. Otherwise pretty much original. Harrison heater. I love the original un-restored look, and strive for that in all my old rigs. I am looking for a half-cab and bed extender.

I still have yet to plow snow with 'er. A few more things to work out: THE ISSUE right now is poor power. When i get it up to speed, it starts to die or sputter. It will barely handle 3rd gear, or any hill. Perhaps some junk in the needle-valve, loose/plugged vacuum advance, tune-up needed, timing needed? Advice? As I have no heated shop, so I can only work on it when above 25deg...which ain't often these days.

Lastly, I am open to naming suggestions!

Cheers, Steve in the Blackfoot Valley

bmorgil
12-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Gotta love a 1950 CJ3A!

I am assuming it has been given a tune up since the motor "purrs". If not that would be the first step. I am going to put my money on not enough fuel Steve. Could be some crud in the main jet or, could be low fuel pressure. You might want to make sure that electric pump is up to snuff. Problems under load can usually be traced to fuel.

5JeepsAz
12-04-2020, 10:56 PM
That thangs name is "Orange Sage Beer Biscuit " because famous in Wyoming ....or maybe ... sage, carrot, orange blossom, 4Horse, Clementine (that type of orange), Garfield (like the orange cat) or Jupiter for the orangest planet. I'm kinda stuck on them orange part.

bmorgil
12-05-2020, 07:18 AM
I just don't see myself stopping at the I-80 High Point at the Summit Rest Area, and ordering up an "Orange Sage Beer Biscuit ". Something about the thought of that is wrong.

Now the look of that CJ3A, that has the gmwillys love of Patina all over it!

skloetzel
12-05-2020, 10:27 PM
thanks for the ideas, 5jeeps. i kinda like Garfield,or Clementine. this thing started out standard jeep dark green, then was white and/or light blue, then that ____ orange. i am hoping a pressure wash might blow off some o that and expose at least some more of the original paint. must say, never hear of that food/drink in my Wyo travels...it that a Rock Springs specialty?
bmorgil, yes a tuneup is in order. will check the fuel pump function. would rather convert it back to original fuel pump.
if i connect that harrison heater up to the 12v, will it smoke the motor? it was/is disconnected, perhaps on purpose...

LarrBeard
12-06-2020, 08:08 AM
"...if i connect that harrison heater up to the 12v, will it smoke the motor? it was/is disconnected, perhaps on purpose..."

12-volts is hard on the original 6-volt heater motors, electrically and mechanically. Try one of these, set it for low speed.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/blower-heater-fan-switch/duralast-blower-heater-fan-switch-sw35x/764704_0_0

It is a minor point in most rebuilds, but the heater motor needs to be looked at as well. The motor shaft is supported by sleeve bearings that get full of dirt and grit and if you don't clean them out, the motor really screams at you. There is usually a lot of brush dust in there that is abrasive.

Put a heater motor tear down and clean up on your to-do list

gmwillys
12-07-2020, 03:41 AM
Welcome skloetzel,

Very nice 3A. Bmorgil is correct, I love the patina of the well worn in look. Clementine has my vote for a suitable name.

5JeepsAz
12-07-2020, 07:53 PM
The internet says people up your way eat something by that name. Perhaps the internet was wrong?! No way man. I love the patina look and hope you find a cool layering underneath. It's a great example, especially the plow. I was wondering about weight. Knew a guy who had a heavy chunk of metal dropped by tractor into a too light plow.

skloetzel
12-08-2020, 08:44 PM
The internet is never wrong, right? Ok guys, Clementine it is, Clem for short. Perfect, love it!

Snowplow is a Western model 23777, 6'6", so about as small and light as they made em 'back then' (1970's? Seems hard to find info on older Western plows). It's orange, of course, which probably resulted in the Jeep's color.
I know plowing is hard work for old jeeps, i will try to keep it gentle, but my driveway is 1/8mile uphill. When we get big dumps, will call in the big plow.

Trying to take off the Harrison heater to R&R the motor, can't seem to get the dang thing off.

Question: Does re-arching springs work well for Willys leaf-springs? Mine are essentially flat.

[inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4.]

skloetzel
12-08-2020, 08:52 PM
GMWillys, I just found your old post about Harrison heater motors, super helpful!

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/n...opic28747.html

skloetzel
12-08-2020, 08:53 PM
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/napa-12v-motor-for-harrison-heater_topic28747.html

skloetzel
12-08-2020, 08:56 PM
And just found this about restoring Harrison Heaters!
https://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/restoring_a_harrison_heater.htm

bmorgil
12-09-2020, 08:02 AM
The internet is never wrong, right?

Question: Does re-arching springs work well for Willys leaf-springs? Mine are essentially flat.

[inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4.]

Right... wrong.

Re arching springs is a temporary fix to a fatigued spring. They will return to flat, then break. Now re-arching a new spring that's different.

Keep up the good work! This forum is about your project.

LarrBeard
12-09-2020, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=skloetzel;14912]And just found this about restoring Harrison Heaters!

Don't just repaint the motor - open it up and clean out all of the dirt and grit. Make sure the brushes aren't overly worn or cracked. Most armatures are in pretty good shape, but take a close look at the sleeve bearings.

It will purr and almost keep you warm

LarrBeard
12-09-2020, 09:36 AM
"inform if i should shut up here and start new threads, never been on a Forum b4."

Just keep posting. We're not "that kind" of Forum. We'll mix just about everything into the pile.

skloetzel
12-11-2020, 07:19 PM
Thanks for feedback, y'all! OK, will put new leaf springs on the list - after 70yrs, they deserve to be replaced i am sure.

Finally found this most helpful YouTube vid about rebuilding Harrison heaters (of this model), and an exact-fit 12V Dayton motor, available from Grainger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbPnCqJqbQ

So i will try that route, hoping it will put out more heat w/ replacement motor...this is cold country!

skloetzel
01-11-2022, 09:00 PM
Hi Folks! It's been a minute...
Lots of work on Clem, 100's of hours of wrenching and learning. To get 'er running and plowing pretty good. Finally! But it's been a fun journey.
Here's 5 pix (if they upload right).
Here's the update: Jeep mostly rewired last year. Then its F4-134 crapped out (poor compression). Could not afford a rebuild. In November, lucked into a 1949 CJ2A w/ a later model (mid 60's?) F134. Brought that home (along with a groovy ~1926 Willys Whippet trailer for Clem to pull around - see pic). Then got my son and his mechanicing buddies to help with the cold-weather motor swap (principal cost for that was meat and beer). Took 3 tries to get newer motor to fit right. Pulled all good donor parts off of the old motor, including the Daytona UN2 Universal carb i'd been running.
Now Clem runs better that ever, plows strong, moves down the highway just fine for a 70yo unrestored, hard-used old Willys. Love it!!!

PS: Anyone need/want a 1949 CJ2A w/ no motor, and a well-built metal full-top? It's gotta go!

TJones
01-12-2022, 05:48 AM
Brrrrrr
It does look cold out on the engine swap!!!
I might be interested in that old Chevy pickup in picture #3 :):)

bmorgil
01-12-2022, 06:25 AM
Great pictures! Man it looks cold. That thing looks great with the plow sitting in the snow ready to work. Just like the Eveready bunny... old Clem just keeps on tickin'.

LarrBeard
01-12-2022, 08:41 AM
Well, at least someone hasn't been sitting in the house all winter.

There is a certain satisfaction to having an old tool or item that just keeps on doing the job it was built to do 50, 60 or 70 years ago. Clem certainly falls into that definition.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer if you put the donor up on the KWAS Shop 'n Swap site. There have been a lot of things on there with a lot fewer possibilities...

And from the front of the shed, it looks like several critters were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Plow on!!!

skloetzel
01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I helps with the cold wrenching. As you can see, my 'shop' is really a shed. At least there a small woodstove in it, and now a tarp for a garage door. I built these sheds for my old rigs; behind the CJ2A is a complete/original '28Chev 1T, awaiting me (gotta have a 'next project', right?). Larr, those crittars decorating the shop were tasty!

Funny no-one said anything about the Aspen growing thru the roof - people usually think that's pretty funny. I couldn't bear to cut it down while building the carport for Dell, my '66 Chevy K10 (daily driver, also unrestored/original, except for flatbed).

Next is to tackle rewiring that Harrison heater (finally). Actually, with insulated coveralls on, snow-plowing is not so bad in the open Jeep. Also need new tires, leaf springs and shocks. That'll wait til after winter is over!

Cheers, SK

gmwillys
01-12-2022, 09:12 PM
I like the Aspen growing through the roof. Great to see you putting Clem to work.

TJones
01-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Clem must be a Beast if you can get it fired up to plow snow in your part of the country!!!
I lived in Missoula for about 5 years and if you weren’t real careful and kept a eye on the weather you’d get snowed in real quick depending on the altitude your at!!!