PDA

View Full Version : New member from Maryland...soon

livingthepast
01-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Hello,

Nice to find a great forum for Willys. I grew up with a 47 CJ2A at our family cabin. Learned to work on motors on the green machine and learned to drive with it. I think I put about 50k miles on it driving all over the back country for years, lol. Great memories. I'm nearing the end of another year in Afghanistan and I've enjoyed reading the forum comments and posts during my down time. I'm tinkering with the idea of finding a Willys to work on during my destress/re-integration time when I get back home. In the meantime, thanks for letting me join such a great forum.

5JeepsAz
01-16-2021, 05:37 PM
God bless you and thank you for that year and all the others. Welcome back to the soil whether or not with a jeep! One thing to ponder is the Jeep often finds you, so keep on it until she gets all the way to your place. It would suck to miss a cool project!

bmorgil
01-16-2021, 06:02 PM
Welcome home soon ltp! I hope you have a safe and speedy return. Thanks for guarding our freedom from afar.

I think you would love a Willys project. Lots of help out there and parts can still be found. You will feel like you accomplished something when your done.

LarrBeard
01-18-2021, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the group.

And, Thank You for going places I'm way to old to go to and I wouldn't have wanted to go to when I could!

I don't know if a Jeep project would be called a de-stressing project, just a different kind of stress.

The group talks about Jeeps, but we wander off with stories that start off; "Well there was this one time .... ". We talk about guns on occasion. We talk about old ships and airplanes, even steam locomotives.

We have suggestions to fix a number of common problems and we still get questions that make us go "Hmmmm?".

Stay safe, stay well and start looking for a Jeep. I favor the early trucks, BMorgil likes CJ-3A's and GMWillys is a soft touch for anything that has flat fenders. There is something for everyone to like!

And don't forget Magoo, restored by the late Ira Jones and viewed by over a half-million viewers at "The Darned Thing Is Out...".

gmwillys
01-19-2021, 05:37 AM
Welcome Livingthepast,

Thank you for your service!

Compared to Afghanistan, a Willys would be a great de-stressor! Please stay safe, and we look forward to having you back home and looking for a project.

livingthepast
01-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Thanks to all for the great welcome! 35 days and a wake up :) I've started the search for my project. I've got a warm spot in my heart for the "flat fender" jeep and have always been intrigued by the truck and wagon models. I still remember running across a truck in the middle of an extremely large swamp with nothing left but the speedometer. Yes, the Army has taken me to many places, including the middle of a few swamps. I rescued the square speedometer (it literally fell off the rusted dash and into my hands) and remember questioning how someone, at some point, managed to drive a Willys truck through 3 feet of water miles into a swamp, but then I remembered my youth and the places the CJ2a green machine took me.

Thanks for helping me look forward to a project and a new group as I transition back home.

LarrBeard
01-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Thanks to all for the great welcome!

35 days and a wake up :)

I rescued the square speedometer (it literally fell off the rusted dash and into my hands)"

35 days and a wake-up, the true short timer's saying.

"Back in the day", sailors had Short Timers' Calendars' where you colored in one square of the Playboy centerfold every day - kind of like a paint by number picture - and you can imagine where day Zero was on the picture...

Then there was the short timer's chain, "I'll cut off one link every day and when the chain is gone, so am I ... ".

Of course, "FIIGMO" - F It, I've Got My Orders" and the STA, "Short Timer's Attitude".

And, if the truck speedometer was square, it was for a '46 through mid-50 truck. After that, they were round.

5JeepsAz
01-19-2021, 06:50 PM
LarrBeard, leave it to you to ID the part!!! I suspect those flat fender ones. They grow trophy's on them. I've seen phot evidence of such.

livingthepast
01-20-2021, 07:47 AM
LarrBeard, I've not heard those before. Lol on the calendars! And thanks for the tip on the year for the speedometer.

gmwillys
01-20-2021, 01:22 PM
34 days and a wake up. My Dad who was a Marine through and through, used that as a time determination to anything upcoming. Keep your head down, and God speed to your end of tour.

For the time being, check out the following link for information and Willys for sale across the U.S.

http://www.ewillys.com/

LarrBeard
01-21-2021, 11:26 AM
34 Keep your head down, and God speed to your end of tour. For the time being, check out the following link for information and Willys for sale across the U.S.]

Just a warning.

If you decide to look for an old Jeep truck, you need to know they are chick magnets.

First the little kids want to sit in it and "drive".

Next their mothers want to try as well.

Then, here is where it gets interesting, GrandMa wants to get her turn!

Just a bright spot for you over there in the rock pile/sandbox.

TJones
01-21-2021, 03:06 PM
Thanks to all for the great welcome! 35 days and a wake up :) I've started the search for my project. I've got a warm spot in my heart for the "flat fender" jeep and have always been intrigued by the truck and wagon models. I still remember running across a truck in the middle of an extremely large swamp with nothing left but the speedometer. Yes, the Army has taken me to many places, including the middle of a few swamps. I rescued the square speedometer (it literally fell off the rusted dash and into my hands) and remember questioning how someone, at some point, managed to drive a Willys truck through 3 feet of water miles into a swamp, but then I remembered my youth and the places the CJ2a green machine took me.

Thanks for helping me look forward to a project and a new group as I transition back home.

Thank You for your service livingthepast!!!!!
I think a Ole Flat Fender CJ of some type is the way to go:confused::rolleyes::cool:
Maybe I am just partial to my Baby!

LarrBeard
01-21-2021, 03:41 PM
TJones brags on old flat fenders, but his Orange Crush is anything but old once you get past the fenders!

It is VERY nice, but I wonder if he went just a bit overboard with the eye shadow around the headlights?

(I'm just pokin' fun - I know paybacks are certain ...)

bmorgil
01-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Did everyone notice how much younger Grandma LarrBeard is than Grandpa? Great Last shot from the Jeep Fest with Jerry Huber Larry!

Can you see what you are getting into here ltp?

5JeepsAz
01-21-2021, 07:25 PM
Thw new guy is nowhere near grandma's, I could sense that much. I do recall those back when times, though. Jeeps do bring out a more vigilant strain. Remember it fondly. His only problem will be getting the Jeep, getting it running, and posting pictures of the build progress. The other takes care of itself.

TJones
01-22-2021, 05:46 AM
TJones brags on old flat fenders, but his Orange Crush is anything but old once you get past the fenders!

It is VERY nice, but I wonder if he went just a bit overboard with the eye shadow around the headlights?

(I'm just pokin' fun - I know paybacks are certain ...)

You left me speechless larrbeard:confused::confused:

TJones
01-22-2021, 05:48 AM
Did everyone notice how much younger Grandma LarrBeard is than Grandpa? Great Last shot from the Jeep Fest with Jerry Huber Larry!

Can you see what you are getting into here ltp?

I was wondering the same thing about Grandma bmorgil :cool:

gmwillys
01-22-2021, 10:14 AM
As much of a nut and bolt traditionalist that I can be, I can support TJones in his build. As much as I like the well worn in "patina" look, I can admire the shine and show versions. With that being said, to make the paint guys feel like they won a battle, here are some freshly painted wheels for the 2A project. The color reminds me of LarrBeard's truck...

bmorgil
01-22-2021, 10:47 AM
I love the "DeLorean" paint on the 2A gm.

LarrBeard
01-22-2021, 11:10 AM
I love the wheel color. Real men can paint their wheels any color they dern well want and dare somebody to poke fun at them!

A friend of mine had an old Cessna (circa 1954) that had a really nice paint job. It had striping about that color against turquoise and grey. Even though I liked the paint, I had to poke at him. I asked "Are you going to deliver Mary Kay cosmetics in that airplane?"

We were out puttering around one day and landed at FWA (Fort Wayne International) and as we cleared the runway, the local controller asked if he could taxi and hold just off taxiway B2, the taxiway closest to the local tower.

Craig asked “Why, is there a problem?” The controller answered; “No, I just want the two new guys to see the paint job.”

livingthepast
01-22-2021, 11:39 AM
Some VERY nice examples and some excellent advice! What is up with all of the M38-A1s I'm seeing? Are they a challenge? I keep seeing them as I look for a nice flat fender project.

I especially like the chic magnet potential ;)

LarrBeard
01-22-2021, 12:35 PM
Some VERY nice examples and some excellent advice! What is up with all of the M38-A1s I'm seeing? Are they a challenge? I keep seeing them as I look for a nice flat fender project.

I especially like the chic magnet potential ;)

M38A1's present more of a challenge than the civilian Jeeps. First of all, they are 24-volt electrical systems with all of the wires shielded and tied together with quick disconnect plugs and sockets. Their other feature that bothers folks is the fording kit that has a lot of metal lines running all over the vehicle to pull a vacuum on things to keep water out.

Most folks have already just taken the fording kits off or selectively disabled them. The real thing I think you need to look out for is a vehicle that someone started a 12-volt conversion on and then jack-legged it together, It gets into a lot more than batteries, alternator/generator, voltage regulator starter - there are gauges and sensors that don't work right on 12-volts. Mechanically they are not a lot different than a CJ-5 with the F-134 engine.

Our friend, the late Ira Jones, USMC-Ret, restored his M38A1 Magoo as a 24-volt vehicle, but he did not restore the fording feature. He told us he drove an M38A1 into the South China Sea once and he didn't plan on getting that deep in water again. We never got the whole story.

I'm not a little Jeep authority, so the other guys may have more info for you.

5JeepsAz
01-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Hey GM that's some fresh paint! Except you left that Jeep part unpainted. What does that thing look like with painted wheels and no paint anywhere else? Pictures man!

gmwillys
01-23-2021, 12:01 AM
Patience grasshopper. Life is a little hectic these days. When I get them all done I'll update the parts runner thread.

Everything has gone in a cycle with Jeeps, much like other vintage 4X4s. Up until around 2010, you could buy a flat fender for under $1,000 all day long. The M38A1s and CJ3Bs are coming into popularity now, along with the early Cj5s. Don't get me started on the price tags on anything International or Bronco.

TJones
01-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Patience grasshopper. Life is a little hectic these days. When I get them all done I'll update the parts runner thread.

Everything has gone in a cycle with Jeeps, much like other vintage 4X4s. Up until around 2010, you could buy a flat fender for under $1,000 all day long. The M38A1s and CJ3Bs are coming into popularity now, along with the early Cj5s. Don't get me started on the price tags on anything International or Bronco.

That's no lie GM, I was watching Mecum Auction last weekend and a 74 Bronco came across the block and the bidding stopped at $70,000.00 and went back to the owner bc it didn't meet the reserve and I about fell out of the recliner.

bmorgil
01-23-2021, 09:52 AM
$70,000?!? OK why? I mean I like them but for $70K I am runnin' with the money from the fool! I cant believe the guy didn't take it.

It looks like Grandpa Larry missed the dig a few posts back, or he is lying in the weeds waiting. We will just have to turn it up so he can hear us.

TJones
01-23-2021, 09:59 AM
$70,000?!? OK why? I mean I like them but for $70K I am runnin' with the money from the fool! I cant believe the guy didn't take it.

It looks like Grandpa Larry missed the dig a few posts back, or he is lying in the weeds waiting. We will just have to turn it up so he can hear us.

It was NICE for sure but I about s(^t when it took off like it did plus they never did say what the reserve was, makes you kinda want to look around for a old style Bronco for the next project.

I still have my heart set on a pickup like LarrBeards, that Baby is SHARP!!!!!

I am with you Bob on turning up the volume so he can hear us:):)

LarrBeard
01-23-2021, 01:57 PM

GrandPa Larry didn't miss anything:

A. That wasn't "GrandMa Larry" in those pictures ... I keep telling you guys that a truck is a chick magnet - chicks of all ages!

B. I wasn't asleep or "deef" - paybacks are certain ... just laying low and waitin'

Stay safe and stay well y'all.

5JeepsAz
01-23-2021, 04:15 PM
I think sometimes they send something across the stage to set market price and/or insurance valuation.who knowsnhow much these things are worth unless you sell one? Like maybe the guy did never intend to sell. What amazes me is somebody's would buy an auction car for that price. With all that can go sideways, I would love to buy a finished vehicle, but would have to be purchasing a working vehicle.

bmorgil
01-23-2021, 05:00 PM
ltp keep counting those days down. Let us know when you spot that Jeep. If you find one close to northwest Ohio, I could take a look if it's not to far away. Its safe, I am not allowed to bring anything... home.

LarrBeard, I think that is exactly what TJ and I were trying to say.... that isn't Grandma LarrBeard is it now.......

gmwillys
01-23-2021, 09:51 PM
If Senior Chief puts on his dress whites and drives his truck, we all would be put to shame of the amount of females attention he would get....

As the others have offered, if you find a Jeep in the Southeast, I would be happy to check it out for you.

TJones
01-24-2021, 08:21 AM
LTP it looks like you have every part East of the Mississippi covered territory wise covered for spotters if you find something your interested in, I’m in NE Ohio if you see something that catches your eye in my area I’d be happy as well to check it out for you!!

livingthepast
01-27-2021, 01:36 PM
thanks all! Greatly appreciated. I've been missing a few due to not being home, lol.

livingthepast
04-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Update!! Good news and not so good news, lol. The great news, I'm now a formal member of the flat fender club. Fresh of the boat from Japan, my wife took delivery of a 1980 Mitsubishi Jeep still in original Army kit. The not so good news, I'm still in Afghanistan, was extended due to the stuff going on, looking very much forward to getting home and tinkering on the Jeep!

bmorgil
04-16-2021, 04:52 PM
OMG!!! Are you kidding me? Your wife is an Angel, what a nice vehicle. Wow top notch man.

I hope you get home soon. I am sure you are aware of the news on Afghanistan here. We all truly appreciate the personal sacrifice and physical effort you put into the defense of our freedom. You deserve that "Flat Fender"!

5JeepsAz
04-17-2021, 12:08 AM
glad to hear your check in. wondering what happened. you counting days still or is this for awhile? wtg wih your jeep find!

TJones
04-17-2021, 05:01 AM
WOW livingthepast!!!!
Thank You Again for your service!!!
I agree with bmorgil your wife is a Angel, where in the world did she find that beast? That isn’t even a project she found you a finished example, it doesn’t need anything but a driver!!!!
Praying for a speedy and safe return so you can enjoy your family and your new “Baby”!!!!

5JeepsAz
04-17-2021, 09:33 AM
wait a second. is that thing right handed drive?

livingthepast
04-17-2021, 12:08 PM
Thanks all, I married the right woman for sure, lol! It is a 1980 Mitsubishi Jeep J54, made under license from Jeep's CJ3B model. It has a 2.7l diesel and as 5JeepsAz noticed, it is right hand drive. May take some getting used to, especially on corners. It is in pretty good original condition with 25k miles on it. The frame/underbody still has the original heavy duty mil-grade undercoating. The tailpipe, all the way up to the manifold, is the only thing showing it's age and will likely need to be replaced in the near future. I have no idea how to replace a tailpipe, but look forward to learning.

It is 24v with some modern additions like defrost, an am radio (original), new tires. The top will need to be patched and then replaced in the near future and I need to figure out how to deal with the surface rust.

Started the countdown again, 27 and a wakeup. I'm excited to start tinkering!

8217 8218 8219 8220

5JeepsAz
04-17-2021, 02:33 PM
damn man, that's close. keep us posted. I've got a free driving school for interested jeepers, over on my thread. right hand drive. that'll be something to learn about.

LarrBeard
04-17-2021, 03:18 PM
"I have no idea how to replace a tailpipe, but look forward to learning.

Well, you look at the places it's bolted to the next piece, spray the bolt and nut with penetrating oil, wait a day or two then start wrenching.

When you round off all the corners, cut the son-of-a-gun off.

As Ira taught us; "Just one bolt at a time - one after another".

gmwillys
04-19-2021, 08:31 AM
Tail pipes are not that bad. As LarrBeard said, good penetrating oil prior to disassembly will help, but use of a heat will bring you even more help. A plumbers torch, ( propane or MAP gas hand held torch) will supply enough heat to warm up the nut to get everything moving. Warm up the nut, then spray with the penetrating oil while hot. It will stink, but the oil will seep better into the threads. After a few cycles, then attempt to loosen the hardware. As far as having the pipe replaced, I would pay a visit to one of your local muffler shops to see what they would charge to bend you up a pipe and install your flanges to the pipe.

livingthepast
04-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the great tips!

GreyWilz
04-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Looking forward to your build progress. Enjoy