PDA

View Full Version : NEW GUY - from Virginia with a 1954 CJ3B

AJ-MJ
01-26-2021, 01:27 PM
My dad bought this jeep and passed it down to me when he passed away. It has been sitting for around 20 years. It has been stored in a garage but there is a lot of moisture/dampness from water running under the garage door. It is all original and complete but in rough shape. I'm sure it has been rusting since the day it rolled off the assembly line. I guess everyone has a story. But here is mine. At about 10 years old, I started hunting and this was the vehicle dad drove. We pulled a boat to the river and fished. When I turned 16 I got my drivers license in the this jeep. This was my daily driver when I was in high school. That was pretty special in the mid-60s because it was that normal for students to drive to school. I drove this on dates. My wife rode in it on dates in the 60s too. Well, it has a special place in my heart, a lot of great memories and I am seriously considering putting some time and money into it. I just don't know where to start. I have done a ton of reach but it is still mine blowing.

AJ-MJ
01-26-2021, 01:47 PM

first picture

TJones
01-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Welcome AJ-MJ sounds like your going to enjoy the journey, keep the pictures coming we Love pictures of projects.....

AJ-MJ
01-26-2021, 02:16 PM

A couple more pictures

bmorgil
01-26-2021, 02:51 PM
AJ that is a perfect Jeep story. I wouldn't give that Jeep up ever.

LarrBeard
01-26-2021, 04:30 PM
You have a great starting place there - most of there big pieces are there and that is a real plus in most cases.

But, whatever you do, don't take the crown cap opener off the dash - that is FANTASTIC!

"There was this one time when ... "

5JeepsAz
01-26-2021, 06:08 PM
Terrific! Hope you are able to keep the feel of authenticity shiny through in your pictures. Great jeep!

AJ-MJ
01-26-2021, 07:02 PM

This jeep had all the options - including two bottle openers.. :D

okiemark
01-26-2021, 07:02 PM
You sure got something to work with there. Keep us updated.

gmwillys
01-27-2021, 03:21 AM
Welcome AJ-MJ!

That is a good looking 3B, with plenty to work with. We are here for you, for whatever you may need, so don't hesitate to ask.

LarrBeard
01-27-2021, 12:18 PM
It looks like someone spilled some beverages on the little fender step.

AJ-MJ
02-10-2021, 09:33 AM
I have been doing a lot of research in order to develop a plan to rebuild the old 1954. Yesterday, I did a walk around and took a few pictures. It looks like it has the original "Carter YF" carburetor. I cleaned some over spray paint from the data plate on the passenger side fire wall and reveled the number. (454 GB2 20382). Lastly, I looked for the engine serial number. I cleaned the area the best I could with a rag but really couldn't find a number. It may be there but that will be for another day. I didn't take a picture but I believe the seats are original. They have black fabric paint on them but they are redish brown in color. It has a lot of rust popping through. The hat channels are almost all gone. So what should be my first couple step

bmorgil
02-10-2021, 11:53 AM
What do you want to do with it AJ? The sky is the limit on these. What you do first depends on what you want to do with it first. You could drive it around and just keep it running or, a full restore. Anything in between is fun, as is a complete re-modification into something totally different.

Above all, have fun with it!

gmwillys
02-10-2021, 04:49 PM
I agree with Bmorgil on the having fun part. Most half done projects that you see for sale are from folks that jumped in without a plan. The get overwhelmed then give up and sell it off for less than they have in it. Our 2A is a parts runner, and fun to drive around in. There are a lot of things that have been corrected over time and on a budget, but it has a long way to go to be considered a show vehicle. It's great to bomb through town, or run up and down the National forest roads close to the house. The tub is mediocre at best, the floors are patched, and one of the hat channels is replaced with a section of road grader cutting edge. It's safe enough to run around in, but someday will get the body yanked off for some metalwork. This is all while our wagon is torn apart awaiting some space of time where I can devote my attention to the metal work that it needs. Seems like a good reason to have two Heeps around.

LarrBeard
02-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Lastly, I looked for the engine serial number.

Look on the ledge just behind the water pump. If the block was planed off to level it, it may be gone.

bmorgil
02-10-2021, 05:52 PM
In your last shot you are looking in the right place. you need to clean that spot down to clean metal. If it is still there as Larry said, that's the spot for the motor serial number.

AJ-MJ
02-10-2021, 07:25 PM
For some reason I am having some problems loading pictures. (three tries) Thanks for the comments. I have a two car garage but we actually park cars in it. LOL Therefore, I would have to park my car outside for an extended period of time to work on the jeep. It will be a "BIG" commitment. That is a bit worrisome. I think i will start by trying to get it started.

bmorgil
02-11-2021, 07:14 AM
My GMC learned early what it was like to live outside, while my CJ was in intensive care for an extended period! My wife's car on the other hand........

Here's a step through on posting pictures. Let me know if this procedure isn't working.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2451-How-to-post-a-picture-in-a-thread

LarrBeard
02-11-2021, 08:59 AM
Here's a step through on posting pictures. Let me know if this procedure isn't working.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2451-How-to-post-a-picture-in-a-thread

One more hint:

The newer phone cameras have very high resolution and pictures make a very large file. The KWAS website does a pretty good job of resizing large files, but on occasion I have to go online and use a photo resizer to get a picture down tothe size that it will post.

(The problem may also be in the email server as well...). I had to resize the new truck picture down to 67% to get it to post.

LarrBeard
02-11-2021, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE I think i will start by trying to get it started.[/QUOTE]

Some time ago we put together a set of "start-up best practices" to get an old engine started. I am away from my home computer right now and I can't find the document.

BMorgil, GMWillys - can you point this gentlemen to the Best Practices document?

AJ-MJ
02-11-2021, 10:39 AM
Thanks... I have read the "start-up best practices" and think it is one of the best I found anywhere. I have watched some YouTube videos too. THANKS! I just need to drag the rust bucket to my garage and get to work. We have a lot of rain/ice/snow in the forecast so it may be a while. Like I said, I have done a lot of research on this and other sites. I have a plan, budget, tool list etc. drafted and edit it routinely, I just need to hit the start key! :rolleyes:

gmwillys
02-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Great to see you are building a plan of attack. Getting all the supplies and tools together is great approach as well. Warmer weather is right around the corner, so you'll be ready to hit the ground running when it's time.