PDA

View Full Version : Early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster

dgoodenow
02-21-2021, 05:41 PM
Folks here's a few pictures of the restoration project for my early 1950 48/49 Body Style Jeepster. It has the L 148 Lighting 6 engine with the T-96 transmission and overdrive.
I still need the bleed the brakes so I have not yet installed the front fenders. Also, it needs a new top which I am debating whether to install or not. 7658765976607661

gmwillys
02-22-2021, 03:35 AM
Outstanding! You have done a great job with the Jeepster.

LarrBeard
02-22-2021, 09:02 AM
You could become out Jeepster subject matter expert if you stick around too long!

gmwillys
02-22-2021, 09:46 AM
True LarrBeard, We are lacking in Jeepster expertise outside of the work you did a while back on the overdrive actuation. The only model of Willys that we will need to learn more about will be the Forward Control.

Again, great work done on dgoodenow!

dgoodenow
02-22-2021, 10:37 AM
You guys are too kind. The Jeepsters were very similar to the trucks and wagons, especially the 2 wd wagons. There are some differences but they are mostly related to body parts. One part I learned the hard way was the front fenders, the front fenders for the Jeepsters was the same for the trucks and wagons except the mounting holes on the lower part of the fender end. The fenders for the wagons and trucks mount from underneath up to the body, where the last two holes for the Jeepsters mounts from underneath to the side of the body. I have not noticed any differences in the grill, the hood, front bumper or drive chain parts, except the overdire governors mounted at different angles. The wagons can use either, but the Jeepsters can not use the wagons type . The rear bumper was also the same for the wagons less the bumper rounds. The Instrument cluster, radio, and glove box doors were also the same, although the face was different for different years (46 - early 50). I think the heaters were different, but I'm not sure. I have two for my two Jeepster, they are the same, but the ones I see for the trucks and wagons look different.

LarrBeard
02-22-2021, 12:02 PM
The Instrument cluster, radio, and glove box doors were also the same, although the face was different for different years (46 - early 50). I think the heaters were different, but I'm not sure. I have two for my two Jeepster, they are the same, but the ones I see for the trucks and wagons look different.

The engine turned cluster faces for trucks changed some time in '48 - the '48 parts book shows two different part numbers. Then, people swapped instruments between clusters - my speedometer has a "white" face but gauges are "black".

Heaters were often offered as a dealer option. Originally the truck was from Mississippi and the heater was about the size of a coffee can and didn't work worth a hoot -even in West Tennessee. After one winter in Indiana, I went heater hunting and found one in a station wagon in a barnyard (that had a dead goat in the cargo area.) That heater was better, but with all of the holes in the floor, it wasn't great.

Now, with all the holes fixed, that heater will run you out at 10-degrees on a January day. You have to regulate heat by cracking the driver window

bmorgil
02-22-2021, 01:07 PM
I think the Jeepsters are cool. Definitely a nostalgia inducing vehicle.

Larry what about that goat?

dgoodenow
02-22-2021, 01:20 PM
I think you're right about the gauge swapping. From what I have experienced, the early trucks had the machine finish face, with white face gauges, the wagons had a silver face, but not machined, with side dash marks (kinda like whiskers in the middle on each side) and black face gauges, and the Jeepster had the machine finish face with black face gauges. The glove box and radio doors were also machine finished. I know photos would help, but I only have the Jeepster type at this time, see attached. Maybe someone else has a photo of the truck and wagon instrument cluster.7665

LarrBeard
02-22-2021, 05:29 PM
Are you trying to get me to tell the goat story again?

5JeepsAz
02-22-2021, 07:50 PM
Absolutely. We all are on a need to know... Especially the new jeepster expert!

gmwillys
02-23-2021, 03:43 AM
Truly a story for the ages. Anyone who has had to crawl through a barnyard, hedgerow, or salvage yard to obtain the one coveted part you need will probably enjoy this tale.

bmorgil
02-23-2021, 06:53 AM
Something about LarrBeard being a stinky old goat?

Anyway dgn, It looks like the truck's and the Jeepsters might have shared a lot of parts. This forum has some Jeepster guy's on it also. There is a few good finds when you google "Willys Jeepster". https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php If you search this forum for Jeepster, we have a few members with some info. There are some cool stories out there about those on the internet. A unique vehicle to say the least.

LarrBeard
02-23-2021, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=bmorgil;15660]Something about LarrBeard being a stinky old goat? "

I represent that remark.

I am not stinky. Well, unless I've been in a shooting coat on a hot day or I've been under the truck for a morning.

I am not old. 76 isn't old -except when the arthritic hip flares up...

But I do have a couple of Grandkids who say I am the Greatest GrandPa Of All Time.

OK - maybe I am a stinky Old GOAT.

I'll tell the story in a day or so.

5JeepsAz
02-23-2021, 03:43 PM
Your timing is better than the timing chain on Hams 48. We'll wait.

dgoodenow
02-28-2021, 05:15 PM
I found a couple of photos of Truck and Wagon Dash styles. The early trucks had the machine finish face with white instruments, and the wagons had the silver face with the black instruments, see attached.

5JeepsAz
02-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Similar to the early gladiator SJ j series, except you've got voltage! Those are both cool looking

mrgrtt123
02-28-2021, 10:19 PM
That looks so cool and vintage.

bmorgil
03-01-2021, 07:32 AM
That looks so cool and vintage.

I agree mrgt, what a classic look. I remember in the 60's thinking how "inferior" that old stuff looked compared to our cool looking stuff we "young" had surrounding us. Everything modern was the way to go. That old 40's and 50's stuff, we couldn't wait to change it out. Then I grew got a job and was introduced to plastics. Then I knew "Cheap". I grew much older, and now I realize the craftsmanship that went into the stuff that wasn't produced in the numbers referred to now as "Parts Per Million". Here I am now wishing I would have had a better eye back then. It is still possible to find classic components that can be restored back to working order. Very little of the 70's 80's and 90's parts" will or have survived to be restored to original 50 to 100 years later. Most plastics have to be remade. The way you restore an old classic often can be done with careful attention to the original parts.

dgoodenow
03-01-2021, 08:33 AM
I found an all original Jeepster that was in a shop for 40 years. It was a great help in identifying the original parts for my restoration and where they were located and positioned. I learned a lot from that vehicle. Now its time to get het back on the road. See attached.

LarrBeard
03-09-2021, 10:26 AM
We talked about the instrument clusters on trucks, wagons and Jeepsters. Here is the cluster on my '48 truck. In '48 the engine turned and lined panels both show up in the Parts book. My truck is a late '48, so it has the lined faceplate with black faced gauges. I suspect the speedometer is a replacement my Dad put in it in the mid-'50's.

Since that speedometer was what I grew up with, I kept it even though it wasn't truly original. I call that picture "A Happy Truck" - everything where it needs to be!

Coopster
04-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Any chance you can take a few detail pictures of the piece that fits to the top frame, from the corner of the windshield, extending backwards, over the vent window and door openning?? Any idea if these pieces are available somewhere?

dgoodenow
05-11-2021, 11:59 AM
The early 1950 48/49 body style Jeepster is done, except for the top. Not sure if I will install a top, they are expensive, the vehicle looks better without it, and they start to deteriorate as soon as they go on. Here's a few photos of the completed project:

gmwillys
05-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Tops are over rated, at least for us CJ guys.

LarrBeard
05-11-2021, 12:50 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty!

I'd vote for topless also.

The heat shield on the firewall is a good addition. It is amazing how much heat that little L-134 generates on a warm summer day.

dgoodenow
05-11-2021, 01:19 PM
I'm sure the L134 four produces just as much heat as this one, the L148 six.

gmwillys
05-12-2021, 04:26 AM
That's why the cowl vent is so nice to have. Pop it up, and your toes will be a little less broiled at speed.

bmorgil
05-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Sweet looking ride! The tops are expensive no matter what you try. I am hunting for a way to put a "Sun Shade" over my bald head and that's it. Even a Bimini fab up is costly if there is no roll bar.