PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the desert southwest (Arizona)

botnew
03-29-2021, 08:46 PM
Not new to jeeps but new to this forum...been enjoying CJ5's since the 60's and finally purchased mine new in 70. Such a great vehicle...just like so many new vehicles are purchased, just went to the local dealer to have a look and they had a nice new one just sitting there that was ordered but not picked up. For a good deal, we bought it and as soon as I left the dealership and shifted into second, I knew I had a great vehicle. Of course I knew of the dauntless V6 but was surprised at the 4.88 gearing I discovered when I looked at the tag on the rear dif. In that first week I purchased a warn overdrive and slapped it on the back of the transfer case (last year one could do this as most of you know). Being an engineer I also immediately did a plot of all my gearing (RPM vs speed) from 1st low to 3rd high and was equally surprised there was no "overlap" in the gears...fantastic!! I have enjoyed this jeep shifting thru the gears using the OD, all its life as I have always loved close ratio transmissions. Long story shortened, this wonderful jeep has stayed with me through 3 marriages, been in Israel with me for a year in 1978 to remote Red Sea diving spots, never subjected to any adverse weather conditions so body and mechanics are solid regarding rust n such.

yawl take care, look forward to sharing...

cheers,

willie

TJones
03-30-2021, 02:27 AM
Welcome willie
Share some pictures when you can, we love pictures.

bmorgil
03-30-2021, 05:48 AM
[QUOTE=botnew;16264] In that first week I purchased a warn overdrive and slapped it on the back of the transfer case (last year one could do this as most of you know). Being an engineer I also immediately did a plot of all my gearing (RPM vs speed) from 1st low to 3rd high and was equally surprised there was no "overlap" in the gears...fantastic!!

Very cool Willie! I absolutely love the engineering addiction! Haaa "I plotted the gears", hilarious. Something I so understand. No need just want to know thing. I love it Willie. You have the greatest stories with that one, it has traveled and worked with you for decades. One of a kind experience you have here.

Member 5JeepsAz is going to be hurt financially when he realizes how well that OD gets the job done. He is wanting more speed at a lower RPM in his truck.

gmwillys
03-30-2021, 06:14 AM
Welcome Willie!

Great back story on your bought new CJ5. We look forward to seeing your global CJ adventures in pictures, and reading more about your life.

5JeepsAz
03-30-2021, 03:26 PM
Welcome! What a great story so far - what's the immediate next fix? Love your Jeep already, but we need picture!!

gmwillys
03-30-2021, 08:08 PM
The pictures in your album through the years are great! That is one clean 5!

botnew
03-31-2021, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for your kind words! as noted, have a few pics in my album. For those of you that have seen those pics, you might have noticed in the current version, a "slightly" non original set of headers. Back in 1987 I had some extra cash so I pulled the original dauntless V6 (was still running fine but seemed a little tired, still have it of course) and purchased a new even fire 231 that bolted right in. I added an RV camshaft, edelebrock performer intake, HEI, small holley 4bbl and headers. Gosh what a nice combo. I as well replaced the steering system with an S10 steering box upfront. I also replaced the fuel tank and radiator after it sat for an extended period of time. I had some aftermarket SW gauges in but decided I really liked the originality of the fuel and temp gauges in the cluster so went back to them. Further on the drivetrain, I am torn between upgrades and leaving it stock as it is a good driver as it is.

cheers,

willie

gmwillys
03-31-2021, 07:18 PM
I did notice the headers. I like your thought process, and your execution of the mods. Direct bolt ins gives you the option to go back in with the Dauntless without much fuss. In my opinion, I would keep the rest of the drive line stock if all is well.

GreyWilz
04-12-2021, 09:57 PM
That sounds like a fun new project for you! Welcome