PDA

View Full Version : Here is what came out of my 1960 Wagon's Fuel tank today!

nance206
03-29-2021, 09:14 PM
After repetitive problems trying to get fuel from the main tank to the fuel pump, I took the tank off again and removed the fuel gage sending unit so I could get a better look! Well I was surprised to find this inside the tank filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube. Took a little bit, but I was able to rake it off using a piece of old brake line. Looks like some kind of metal screen filter, and all stopped up. Also ran a piece of stiff wire and some berryman's thru the tube a few times and now have good airflow. Will have to get a new gasket before re-installing the sending unit.

LarrBeard
03-30-2021, 05:34 AM
Fuel filters in the tank seem like a good idea until you realize that if they do their job, sooner or later, they are going to clog and need replacement.

I'd suggest you add a new filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. Many fuel pumps do not "suck" as well as they "pump" and adding a restriction between the tank and the pump may cause new fuel feed issues.

When you put the sender back in the tank, make sure you get a good ground to the frame - don't depend on the tank mounting bolts to complete your fuel gauge circuit.

bmorgil
03-30-2021, 05:39 AM
The pickup tube and filter screen are looking real bad there. It is a good idea to replace that pickup assembly on a used tank. It will keep the big stuff out of the pump. It needs to be a screen. As has been written here before, a filter between the tank and pump is not a good idea. As Larry says above be sure there is one between the pump and the carb.

nance206
03-30-2021, 09:30 PM
That is great advice from both of you! I have a filter before the pump but sounds like I may have to move it. Thanks

bmorgil
03-31-2021, 06:12 AM
A screen between the pump and tank is common. I cant think of any factory set ups that don't use a screen at the pickup. Not a filter, but a screen. You don't want any restriction on the suction side.