PDA

View Full Version : Jeepster top frame details.

Coopster
04-07-2021, 01:18 PM
I have a '49 Jeepster. I am missing the top frame part that extends from the corner of the windshield header, backwards over the vent window and door openning. Does anyone know if they are available, or can furnish a good picture so I could fabricate my own? This part attaches to the bottom of the front, side frame rail. Thank you, I plan to take detail pictures and video of my top fabric installation.

dgoodenow
04-07-2021, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure I get your meaning, but I have two such beast and I can get pictures and measurements when I know more. If it's what I think it's the top frame part that receives the weather strip for the top of the vent window and the top of the door side curtain. I have attached a few pictures, see below. I have seen complete top frames, but I have not found any top frame parts except the wood parts and latches.

8175 8176 8177

dgoodenow
04-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Rereading your post and looking more closely at the top frames I have, I think you are looking for the channel that attaches to the top frame and receive the weatherstrip for the top of the vent window and top of the window side curtain. If this is so, that channel is the same shape as the channel that fastens to the side of the windshield frame and uses the same weatherstrip. The only differences are the one that attaches to the windshield frame is bent a little to the shape of the windshield frame where the top frame part is completely straight and is 22 and 1/4 inches long. I have one that does not have the weatherstrip inserted, so I can remove and take some pictures if that helps.

Coopster
04-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Yes, that is the part. A detailed pic would be great, looks like I will be doing some fab work. Don't plan to run side curtains, but ya never know. Thank you again.

Coopster
04-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Yes, that is the part. Looks like it has nothing to do with the top fabric. I think I will be doing a bit of fabrication work.

dgoodenow
04-09-2021, 06:04 PM
I took the channel off and I now see that there is a slight bend in that portion that is over the vent window. The portion over the window side curtain is straight. It is 22 1/4 inches long, 1 inch across the back and 3/8 inches on the high side of the channel, see below. It is attached with 5 flat head screws, three over the side curtain portion using backing clips and two over the vent window that screw directly into the top frame

8183 8184 8185

Coopster
04-12-2021, 06:47 PM
I have found the part I thought was missing, mine has been chromed.
Thank you to all who gave some really good info. Now I need to order the rubber insert. Looks like I will have some left over, comes in a long length because it is used for the hinge seal and the top W/S.

LarrBeard
04-13-2021, 07:14 AM
I have found the part I thought was missing, mine has been chromed.

Did you have it stuck back in a box that you hadn't searched through, or did you find a source for it somewhere?

Coopster
04-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Stuck back on a upper shelf. Short guys need step stools. Bought this Jeepster with 500 miles on a rebuild/hotrod alter. Came with parts and the top frame. Have the top kit, so, my next project.

gmwillys
04-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Know the feeling. I've got two walls of containers of hardware and components for the wagon. All are marked with the contents, but it still took an hour to find the tub with door hing screws.

TJones
04-13-2021, 02:48 PM
At least it looks "Half-Fast" organized GM!!!
Way better than mine right at the moment...

bmorgil
04-13-2021, 03:28 PM
That Echllin Ignition Cabinet brings back memories!

gmwillys
04-13-2021, 03:46 PM
When I had my "real" shop, I had pallet racking as tall as the side walls filled with engines by make, transmissions the same, radiators, rear diffs, and all the Chrysler Imperial double CV joint drive shafts I could find for my fleet of derby cars. Spaces were all labeled along with what the parts came out of on the parts. My filing system now leaves a lot to be desired. Just need more room.

The Echllin cabinet is still full of points and condensers. Lifetime supply if you will.

dgoodenow
04-13-2021, 04:31 PM
I'm glad you found the parts. Chromed they should look great.