PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fuel pump block off plate

Joseph
06-13-2021, 03:34 PM
Hello, i have a 1952 CJ3A with the flathead 4cyl engine. i removed the fuel pump and i am replacing it with a elec cube pump. Where can i find a fuel pump block off plate for it. Thanks for any help!

bmorgil
06-13-2021, 04:15 PM
You could try an early Chevrolet style. A local machine shop would crank you one out pretty quick. A flat piece of 1/8" aluminum and a little work with a drill a saw and a file and you could fab one up fairly easy. Use a gasket for the template.

This one might work,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-402035

gmwillys
06-14-2021, 04:04 AM
Joseph,

As a quick and simple idea, take your old pump and cut the actuator arm off, then re-install. If you are going for a cleaned up look, then follow Bmorgil's idea of the Chevy style.

Gizzard
06-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Previous owner bubba-rigged mine with a 1/4" rough cut plate with two holes and a gob of pookey ......leaked like a strainer.

bmorgil
06-14-2021, 07:22 AM
......leaked like a strainer.

Hahahah Love that one! A nuther' keeper from the web page.

LarrBeard
06-14-2021, 10:18 AM
Previous owner bubba-rigged mine with a 1/4" rough cut plate with two holes and a gob of pookey ......leaked like a strainer.

We are inventing a whole dictionary of new techncal terms that Jeep owners understand ...

"a gob of pookey"

Definition: An unknown substance of dubious origin that someone applied to try to either stop something leaking or hide a hole, dent or rust through. Usually attributed to Bubba and Junior working on the vehicle under the shade tree.

gmwillys
06-14-2021, 10:33 AM
The education possibilities are endless around here.

5JeepsAz
06-14-2021, 06:37 PM
I have reviewed the content as described as pookey. This is a new one. I'm not sure if "the Gizz", "that pooķey", or "leaked like a strainer" is the best add to the resto rules. Urgently mulling. "That pookey" if it was used in a sentence, might be worth the cut and paste... :D

Edit:

Here's my sentence... "And then The Gizz barked at old Willys, beware that glob o pookey, cause it surely leaks like a strainer up under the pump block plate they manufactured at them shady trees spot!"

Gizzard
06-14-2021, 07:01 PM
LOL....the level of bubbaness upon display in my Jeep when I acquired it demands a new and improved vocabulary to describe it. :D

gmwillys
06-15-2021, 04:38 AM
Willys engineering processes explained;

Willys factory engineering: Use what you have on hand at that particular moment. If one spot weld is good, 30 is much better. Wood is a perfect material to stiffen up the hat channels in the floor. Side effects: Head scratching, rust repair, and spot weld cutters/drill bits.

Aftermarket engineering: A Jeep can be turned into anything you could imagine. Examples: Zamboni, trencher, front end loader, power unit, welder, paint sprayer, etc. Side effects: Where do you find parts to maintain the aftermarket piece in order to haul it around to show people a rare pile.

Barnyard engineering: When something breaks, use whatever you have on hand to fix it until the next rainy day. Suitable material for repair: Bailing wire or twine, empty beer can, raw egg, hammer, vise grip, and channel locks. Side effects: The passenger tool box is full of bailing wire, a Vise grip (that the spring is missing/broken so that they need to be reassembled one handed until you get the adjuster screw turned in enough to clamp what you are trying to hold together), and a pile of left handed yellow Jersey gloves.

Bubba engineering: Constantly doing the right things wrong. This form of despair works long enough for the next poor ******* to purchase the piece, and spend three times as much as planned in order to get things back to a resemblance of what it should have been when you purchased the project. Side effect: Financial ruin, divorce, mental breakdown, drinking excessively.

bmorgil
06-15-2021, 06:21 AM
gm,I can tell by that disertation you have been deeply affected and effected by Bubba!

This is the best definition of "Bubba" I have heard yet. "Bubba engineering: Constantly doing the right things wrong." gmwillys 2021

The part of that story that is not told is when you run into Bubba and you try to "help" him..... Learning usually isn't in the vocabulary.

gmwillys
06-15-2021, 08:44 AM
The most frustrating experience I've ever had with a Bubba was "helping" a neighbor with his '70 Olds 442 W-30. Dumb people should not be allowed to have nice cars. Long story short, he was a body guy, and not a mechanic. He tore the car down to the frame and did a complete color change from red to black. The body and paint was better than great, and was completed while the engine was out to a local drag racer for a refresh. When the engine returned, and I arrived to install, the front clip and hood were reinstalled, and the gaps all set. He refused to at least pull the hood. After arguing about it for an hour, it was discovered that a 455 and Muncie rock crusher will fit in without the removing the hood. The down side was that the hood insulation suffered a snag from bumping it with the cherry picker, and a small scratch was put into the passenger fender when the fender cover slipped. I also hate the fiberglass tooth that is attached to the hood. I hit the back of my head at least a hundred times while attempting to stand upright. The real bogus part of the whole build was the fact that the engine wasn't put together stock. The builder used single fire ring and wiper lightweight pistons. After a couple of hundred miles, she started consuming oil. Also, I won't go into the fact that he re-shaped the flywheel ring gear teeth by welding them up and smoothing them back down to a tooth shape..... To save $40.

5JeepsAz
06-15-2021, 09:07 PM
Whole dern thread makes the Resto Rules list!

21. Never heard the one about LarrBeard, gmwillys and bmorgil helping The Gizz do the shady tree pookey?? Look no further than rye-ch'ere: https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2843-Looking-for-a-fuel-pump-block-off-plate