PDA

View Full Version : CJ 5 steering gear box ?

Skboyd
10-06-2021, 05:42 PM
So my steering has a good bit of play, slop. We have tried adjusting with some improvement. The conclusion we came up with is the gears are worn and needs replaced or rebuilt. So my question is do I find a new one or is it worth rebuild and if rebuild is it a difficult job? Looked over the manual and watched a video. Seems doable, but curious if I go this route any advice to help me out and be aware of. Rest of steering components feel tight and look good, has been determined to be in gear box.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

TJones
10-07-2021, 04:19 AM
Scott I’ve got power steering on mine so I’m not real sure about the stock manual steering boxes but I’m sure bmorgil or gmwillys will direct you in the right direction on here sometime today. If I was a betting guy I’d bet both have done it and can walk you through the process of rebuilding or replacing it which ever is the best route.

bmorgil
10-07-2021, 06:00 AM
The box is a pretty straight forward rebuild. Be sure to use the new "unitized" or one piece bearings. The bearings in the box are originally individual balls. You can also use new individual balls but it makes it a little trickier to do. You have to goop up the bearings so they stay in place. The new sector shaft bushings MUST be reamed to fit to the new sector shaft. This is the only "hitch" in the process. I have a lot of reamers laying about. The reamer for the sector shaft can be cost prohibitive. You might be able to find a machine shop that will ream them for you. You will need new gasket and bearings. You may want to pick up a shim assortment. The preload will be set on the bench using shims.

Skboyd
10-07-2021, 05:04 PM
That's what I'm looking for the "hitch". I figured there had to be one. Also I read use a puller to get arm off oshaft?? Looks like KW has a sector shaft kit to replace this. Thanks again for the tip.

bmorgil
10-08-2021, 07:07 AM
Yes Scott the pitman arm can be on the sector shaft fairly tight. A pitman arm puller (a good strong one) might be needed. I used the KW kit. It has all you need, except the tools. It is getting hard to find the unitized bearings. The Ross box is everywhere however. If you have trouble finding parts, the Ross box is in everything old car and tractor.

https://www.desmetjeep.com/product/detail/407-kit-ball-bearing-assy-steering-gear-worm/?brandid=15&catid=18&page=1

Skboyd
10-08-2021, 07:15 PM
Finding another box was an option I'm also exploring just dont want to end up with same situation. I know chance you take. So reinstall the pitman arm, does it need pressed back on or just tighten back down and be ok?

bmorgil
10-09-2021, 07:50 AM
You just torque it back on. It just gets stuck on there pretty good after its been on a while. The box is a simple design. Sometimes the only thing wrong with them is wear in the "High Point" the dead center of the sector shaft position. A new sector shaft, a seal, a preload adjustment and bearing repack and they are good. The bushings are usually not too bad. If they check OK, no play side to side with the new Sector Shaft, I would not replace them. I would only replace and size with a reamer if they were loose with the new shaft. The preload is the next important thing. It is set by shims and needs to be done on the bench.

Skboyd
10-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Ok sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I love this forum, cuz you get information from people who know. Dont know many people close to me with this knowledge. My dad said ask some mechanic I know, they know new school, not old. I talked with my dad first, told him he was it, guys that know old school. He laughed and agreed but I said I would reach out on this forum for more tips. I sure appreciate it.

Skboyd
10-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Funny story on my dad. I asked him to look at this issue with me for input. Made some adjustments and went out on road. I took a spin around town and went out on back road. Stopped and asked him if he wanted to drive? Before I finish my sentence seat belt off jumped out and said yes half way around to my side.... I could only laugh. I jumped over to passenger seat and we took off with him at wheel. Well he drove all over the place, about an hour of driving country roads and three trips past house. Each time we went by house he said next block and we go back, well that didn't happen, back on another drive on a different road. He was like a sixteen year old on his first drive. I sat back giggling and enjoyed the ride. He had a fun time and I was happy to share this moment together... I'm still laughing and it was about a week ago. Thanks for letting me share and the advice your providing. Most
of driving was off road. Now that it's on road " legally " I'm finding things to adress. Appreciate it guys.

TJones
10-09-2021, 07:28 PM
That’s a great story Scott.
Cherish every minute of them!!!!

bmorgil
10-10-2021, 07:14 AM
That has me smiling also Scott! Keep it on the road man, its all about remembering the past, and creating the future.

Skboyd
10-16-2021, 06:27 AM
Ok, another question.
Type of oil to fill in steering box? I have heard two options. 140w oil or some special grease. Seems to be two opinions on this subject, each says this is the best over the other.
I'll ask you guys your thoughts here.

bmorgil
10-16-2021, 07:17 AM
Everything you need in the Tech Section Scott! Definitely a subject that comes up all the time. Never use 140 AXLE gear oil no matter what you read or hear. The original specification was for 140 weight gear oil but not the kind for your axle. The military spec that relates to the gear oil is different than axle lube. Gear oil is not all the same by a long shot! Steering gear lube like knuckle lube, needs to have a very thick constancy. It is 140 weight but not the same as an Axle lube 140 weight. It is often refereed to as a "00" grade. It needs to be the consistency of jelly at room temperature.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?2442-Closed-Knuckle-and-Steering-Box-Lubrication

Skboyd
10-16-2021, 05:47 PM
Ok. Thank you for the clarification. Yea sometimes to many opinions or suggestions makes your head spin. Why I asked here. Thanks so much.

The Beef
02-13-2022, 02:14 PM
I have a 1961 CJ 5 . Steering is loose? Check everything tie rod ends, Bell crank , drag link from bell crank to box. They sell a spring loaded adjuster that goes where you adjust the box on the side.
Mine was very loose, rebuilt bell crank and put a new drag link and that steering box adjuster. You can get a rebuild kit for both bell crank and drag link.
Made a world of difference on mine.
I also added a steering stabilizer too.

GreyWilz
03-13-2022, 11:18 PM
I have a 1961 CJ 5 . Steering is loose? Check everything tie rod ends, Bell crank , drag link from bell crank to box. They sell a spring loaded adjuster that goes where you adjust the box on the side.
Mine was very loose, rebuilt bell crank and put a new drag link and that steering box adjuster. You can get a rebuild kit for both bell crank and drag link.
Made a world of difference on mine.
I also added a steering stabilizer too.
My uncle found this CJ5 as his next project! The steering needs some attention so we'll see. We're going to take a look this week once we finish installing the brake pads and wheels (https://4wheelonline.com/Wheels.298383) on the current Silverado project.

Skboyd
04-25-2022, 02:49 PM
Well the rebuild project is complete. And put back together. Wow what a difference in steering. It all went well, and check that off list of new things done in life. Removing the pitman arm was the toughest job. My cousin has a machine shop so time was spent in there with his tools. What a help that was. After disassembling it was determined the sector shaft and worm shaft both bent, bushings checked out good. I did use a bearing separator from harbor freight for steering wheel. I saw another thread that was discussed and yes it worked well, just a note. Putting back together I just took my time to center up every thing.... test drive I was nervous but all good. Thank you to all for input. Bmorgil your advice was very useful, thanks again. Weather is getting nice and shes ready to go play again.....

bmorgil
04-25-2022, 03:49 PM
Your welcome, glad it went well! They are a blast. You can keep them going a long time that's for sure.

gmwillys
04-26-2022, 05:20 AM
Glad everything went well for you. Bmorgil is the best in the business when it comes to all things that require patience and finesse. Enjoy the warm weather on your drives!

bmorgil
04-26-2022, 07:16 AM
Bmorgil is the best in the business when it comes to all things that require patience and finesse.

Hahaha... guaranteed you will get some argument from others on that one gm!

LarrBeard
04-26-2022, 08:47 AM
That's because he is OOOLLLLDDDD and moves reallllyyyy slow.

But his mind is as quick as a supercomputer!

gmwillys
04-26-2022, 10:27 AM
That's the pot calling the kettle black? Senior Chief is his rank, but he's progressed into aged to perfection......

bmorgil
04-26-2022, 11:50 AM
OK full disclosure, LarrBeard has me way out ranked!

Skboyd
04-26-2022, 07:55 PM
You guys crack me up

gmwillys
04-27-2022, 05:13 AM
You'll be hard pressed to find a better group of folks than the ones on here. It is an honor to be associated with all of the wealth of knowledge, (and characters) that is on this forum.

TJones
04-27-2022, 06:08 AM
I’m with you Scott!!!
All 3 of these guys are a Wealth of Knowledge so don’t let them fool ya, I’ve never seen so much Wisdom gathered in one place than here on this site.
I don’t think they’ve ever been stumped on a question about Jeeps that I’ve seen, every once in a while it’s like you say they crack me up as well!!!!

bmorgil
04-27-2022, 07:44 AM
Mutual feelings back at everyone! This forum has a great bunch of members. The experiences that everyone is willing to share here, are providing a wealth of written knowledge for generations. I really have to hand it to the Kaiser Willys crew. They have something here. It is a great feeling when a group of us get together on the WWW and fix a problem or bash our heads over one.

Skboyd
04-27-2022, 04:19 PM
I have noticed the wealth of knowledge and wisdom on here. I agree there plenty of it. I sure appreciate I landed on this forum. The information I've received has given me the confidence to do projects I wouldn't have tackled otherwise. Also have noticed how friends dig on each other, I love that. Time to be serious and a time for fun.