PDA

View Full Version : Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bmorgil
05-16-2022, 06:11 PM
Compound turbo's are definitely a modern hot rod diesel thing. Looks right at home in that '56 in a Mad Max sort of way!

LarrBeard
05-17-2022, 06:34 AM
" in a Mad Max sort of way![/QUOTE]

Now, do we get to see the spiked hair, leather vest, multi-piercings and tattoos?

(I'm joking...). Jeep guys would never do something like that, would we?

jbrewington
05-20-2022, 09:00 PM

More of the non-glamorous side of this project...

Give me a few days and I will share the results of grinding, welding, cutting, filing, measuring, measuring again, sipping bourbon, more welding, etc etc......

Late nights are the best, through the week. Radio off and in the ‘zone’.

About ready to put the welder up for a few YEARS!!

LarrBeard
05-21-2022, 06:29 AM
Yeah, it is not glamorous, but when you are done it will look like something off of the front of a FW-190 or a Corsair - it will look like it grew there.

bmorgil
05-21-2022, 06:46 AM
Definitely the part that separates the men from the boys. The turbo plumbing is artwork.

jbrewington
05-21-2022, 09:16 PM

Well, :-)

Did a little more work to the Willys this weekend. Is it a ‘love it or hate it’ Idea? Once everything is done(light bar install) I’m hoping it will ‘fit’ per sa.

Item # next, light bar install.

TJones
05-22-2022, 12:02 PM
OMG JB that is a Work of Art for sure!!!!

gmwillys
05-22-2022, 03:36 PM
I'm a huge fan of your vision. I really like the way the intake and exhaust turned out. It puts me in mind of the MRAP Cougars were that we built in 2007-2009 were set up. The exhaust was run the length of the roof with a wrap to cut down on a heat signiture.

Great job!

jbrewington
05-22-2022, 09:56 PM
I'm a huge fan of your vision. I really like the way the intake and exhaust turned out. It puts me in mind of the MRAP Cougars were that we built in 2007-2009 were set up. The exhaust was run the length of the roof with a wrap to cut down on a heat signiture.

Great job!

Thank you sir. Light bar is mounted; just a few pieces to finish up and will send pics.

Checking off the list; almost ready to sandblast this thing.

jbrewington
05-22-2022, 10:01 PM
OMG JB that is a Work of Art for sure!!!!

Thank you TJones:-) about to finish up these fabrication projects. I get these crazy ideas then think I need to see it done up. I had considered tearing out all the exhaust/cold air piping at one point but gonna see if it wears on me:-) Crazy ideas:-)

LarrBeard
05-23-2022, 08:29 AM
I am generally not a fan of tearing up an old Jeep to make it something it wasn't - mainly because most times it looks like Bubba, Junior and LeRoy started a job under the shade tree and after a case or two of Miller Light decided things were good enough.

"SMEAR SOME BONDO ON IT, PAINT IT WITH A RATTLE CAN AND LET'S GO FIND THE GURLS."

Not so here - it's grown into something a LOT more than it started out.

Fan -Damn-Tastic job....

jbrewington
05-23-2022, 09:57 AM
I am generally not a fan of tearing up an old Jeep to make it something it wasn't - mainly because most times it looks like Bubba, Junior and LeRoy started a job under the shade tree and after a case or two of Miller Light decided things were good enough.

"SMEAR SOME BONDO ON IT, PAINT IT WITH A RATTLE CAN AND LET'S GO FIND THE GURLS."

Not so here - it's grown into something a LOT more than it started out.
Yes
Fan -Damn-Tastic job....

Thank you sir. I plan to put the original trim down side, keep front grill original. Basically no change in bidy lines outside me relocating rear fenders.

Have a history of some off-beat designs. Couple sitting garage from days past :-)

Appreciate the feedback!!

jbrewington
05-23-2022, 10:09 AM

Maybe? :-)

Ordered one of these in to put my hands on. 17” x 10”

Thoughts?

bmorgil
05-23-2022, 05:57 PM
I was thinking some 24's so you could strap on some Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS 21/58-24LT's! The 58" diameter should give you adequate ground clearance.

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-pro-xs (https://www.desertrat.com/i-23365259-21-58-24lt-mickey-thompson-baja-pro-xs.html)

jbrewington
05-23-2022, 08:02 PM
i was thinking some 24's so you could strap on some mickey thompson baja pro xs 21/58-24lt's! The 58" diameter should give you adequate ground clearance.

https://www.desertrat.com/i-23365259-21-58-24lt-mickey-thompson-baja-pro-xs.html

heck yeah!!! And a stairway!!!

jbrewington
05-23-2022, 08:05 PM

Tearing it apart. Time to blast and paint.

gmwillys
05-23-2022, 08:05 PM
I just so happen to have a set of 4 BF Goodrich All Terrain 385 X 17" with only 20 miles on them. They came from my last duty station, and I dismounted them myself. They are packed in grease for the run flat rib, that will need to be pressure washed out. The tires were on a Flyer GMV, and some big wigs came for a tour and a demo ride. The driver gave them a better ride then anything at Six Flags on the asphalt skid pad. They are a bigger than what I want to shoe our wagon project, but the price was right. The wheels were true bead locks, so the tires weren't stretched at all. If you are interested, drop me a line.

jbrewington
05-23-2022, 09:39 PM
I just so happen to have a set of 4 BF Goodrich All Terrain 385 X 17" with only 20 miles on them. They came from my last duty station, and I dismounted them myself. They are packed in grease for the run flat rib, that will need to be pressure washed out. The tires were on a Flyer GMV, and some big wigs came for a tour and a demo ride. The driver gave them a better ride then anything at Six Flags on the asphalt skid pad. They are a bigger than what I want to shoe our wagon project, but the price was right. The wheels were true bead locks, so the tires weren't stretched at all. If you are interested, drop me a line.

I appreciate that!!! And will do.

Haven’t decided on tire yet. Been preoccupied with a welded... :-)

jbrewington
05-26-2022, 08:00 PM

Old School it says....

bmorgil
05-27-2022, 05:59 AM
Old School my A#@! That bad boy is an sleeper if I ever saw one. In my "Old School" we didn't have that kind of technology that's for sure! What is trying to hide under the hood, is a far cry from the original motor.

LarrBeard
05-27-2022, 06:31 AM
"That bad boy is an sleeper..."

Sleepers were little old Grannies in a nondescript gray or green Plymouth that had a Hemi buried in it...

That Bad Boy is not a sleeper - with all of the goodies hanging off it, it looks like a Star Wars, Kick A#@! Machine!

jbrewington
05-29-2022, 08:14 PM

rear wheel drive

:-)

gmwillys
05-30-2022, 03:40 AM
A little skim coat, and she'll be straight as an arrow. Looks really good naked.

bmorgil
05-30-2022, 06:57 AM
That thing is going to turn some heads!

jbrewington
05-30-2022, 07:31 PM

More of the ugly work; and one pretty:-)

Media blasting is serious work when you’re the only one.

gmwillys
05-31-2022, 04:21 AM
The ugly isn't too ugly. A toast to a job well done, until the next phase.

LarrBeard
05-31-2022, 07:11 AM
Yeah, you find little "oh-by-the-ways" as you get the top layer of crud off.

It looks like those should be an easy fix (note I said "should"). With my luck, the whole area blows out and it takes another patch before you're done.

Just let Elijah do some of the work for you. Jack and Evan make good helpers too.

bmorgil
05-31-2022, 07:12 AM
jb could you have used brazing rod and gas to fill that?

jbrewington
05-31-2022, 10:36 AM
jb could you have used brazing rod and gas to fill that?

Yes, I’m sure that would work as well. Being these are stress point/stress fractures, I have added support to these area and welded/ground them back to original shape. All good :-)

bmorgil
05-31-2022, 01:08 PM
Looks like brand new!

LarrBeard
05-31-2022, 08:39 PM
Yep - did that on the '48 - fenders all break at about the same place.

jbrewington
05-31-2022, 10:51 PM

I pulled the trigger on how I wanted the gauge panel set-up

bmorgil
06-01-2022, 07:02 AM
Nice, just super nice! I love the old school precision look of the gauges, with a digital touch. Like something out of a laboratory. What brand gauges are those?

jbrewington
06-01-2022, 01:39 PM
Nice, just super nice! I love the old school precision look of the gauges, with a digital touch. Like something out of a laboratory. What brand gauges are those?

These are Dakota Digital. Highly recommend.

I used these a few times and always liked the performance. Great gauges.

gmwillys
06-01-2022, 08:20 PM
Very nice. A lot of info in a compact footprint.

jbrewington
06-01-2022, 09:21 PM

Ready to roll out for paint; mother nature said, NOPE, not yet

TJones
06-02-2022, 05:08 AM
We had a H**l of a storm at our place last night as well, power went out for a couple hours as well.
For most folks anyways:cool:

gmwillys
06-02-2022, 05:08 AM
Ready, set, and wait. We are supposed to get that line through here today.

bmorgil
06-02-2022, 06:19 AM
Its everywhere! TJ that generator of yours was money well spent.

TJones
06-02-2022, 07:53 AM
No Doubt Bob!!!!
The Bride thought I was Crazy for spending the money but she sure is Happy now that she doesn't have to stumble around in the dark anymore trying to find and light candles!!!!
It goes out here 8-10 times a year and last time it was out for 16 hours, our electric grid here in Cuyahoga Falls is like something you would see in Puerto Rico.
It is So outdated you wouldn't believe it, but the cities utilities here are the cheapest in the county:confused::confused:

TJones
06-02-2022, 08:13 AM
On a brighter note :cool:, JB you are going All Out on your Project and doing a Fabulous Job!!!!
WOW is all I can say....

jbrewington
06-03-2022, 07:36 PM
On a brighter note :cool:, JB you are going All Out on your Project and doing a Fabulous Job!!!!
WOW is all I can say....

Thank you sir :-)

jbrewington
06-03-2022, 07:42 PM

Dealt lemons; make lemonade, right?... :-)

My painter was involved in a bad accident and will be out for a while so me and my daughter put down the primer. We had it ready to go out for paint; storms. Ready again; and got the bad news on my painter( he is fine but wife ribs/back injury; prayers). So with it bare metal, concern with rust, we put this thing in a good coat of epoxy primer.

bmorgil
06-04-2022, 06:03 AM
Looks perfect! Nothing like some quality help!

gmwillys
06-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Looks perfect. I hate that for your painter and his wife, but you got to spend some quality time with your daughter. I have one biological daughter, and two adopted daughters, (16, 9, & 6). My eldest is getting her hard lessons learned out of the way being a new driver, but she is learning as we go.

jbrewington
06-21-2022, 11:38 AM
Off to paint...

LarrBeard
06-22-2022, 10:10 AM
Well, from that view it looks like a Willys Wagon....

jbrewington
06-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Well, from that view it looks like a Willys Wagon....

Some of it, right? :-)

gmwillys
06-24-2022, 08:02 AM
She is looking good. You'll be going back together with it in no time. What are your plans for the interior?

jbrewington
06-24-2022, 03:44 PM
She is looking good. You'll be going back together with it in no time. What are your plans for the interior?

I haven’t got much thought into the interior yet. I did put a new steering column in, King Ranch seats, Dakota Digital gauges but that is as far as it goes at this point. Guess I need to be working on something right?

gmwillys
06-27-2022, 05:02 AM
I was just wondering about the door and rear cards to see if you were continuing the King Ranch type feel. Sound deadening and the like. I'm stuck in a quandary to how I want to handle the floor, whether to line the under side with a spray in bed liner, and dyno mat the interior side walls or what yet. Trying to get it to not be an echo chamber for the power plant that I end up choosing.

I will say that you have helped to get me motivated, (clearing blocks of time) to get back rolling on my wagon project. I spent Saturday night fitting the driver's side floor. I'll post the pictures and descriptions when I get some time to download the photos.

bmorgil
06-27-2022, 06:16 AM
gm I have a sweet just built iron block LS stroker with a mild cam that would slip right in there. Hasn't even been to the dyno yet.

jbrewington
06-27-2022, 08:24 PM
I was just wondering about the door and rear cards to see if you were continuing the King Ranch type feel. Sound deadening and the like. I'm stuck in a quandary to how I want to handle the floor, whether to line the under side with a spray in bed liner, and dyno mat the interior side walls or what yet. Trying to get it to not be an echo chamber for the power plant that I end up choosing.

I will say that you have helped to get me motivated, (clearing blocks of time) to get back rolling on my wagon project. I spent Saturday night fitting the driver's side floor. I'll post the pictures and descriptions when I get some time to download the photos.

Well, as noted not much thought into it yet, but will follow some of my past decisions. The King Ranch seats are just that, and will only add seat belts to match and not try to drag in a lot of expensive/overpriced accessories regarding the King Ranch theme per sa. I do plan to wire the seats up(have a cousin, master mechanic, specializes in vehicle electronics. He was like, "that's easy stuff there". I,m like, see ya soon:-) They're just seats:-)

Sound proofing; I plan to use and automotive interior adhesive on the floor front to back, seal everything from outside moisture. As we know, the more rubberized material there is on floor, side panels, and top; the better, right?

Side panels on interior; the kits sold online will no longer work for myself since I have done so many modifications. So, with that, I will visit a local appliance store and load up some refrigerator boxes to get the long runs of cardboard. I will use several short/small pieces of cardboard to template the inside rear quarter panels, maybe 18-24" sections. Piece these together with tape, and ensure correct fitment. I will lay this template out on the long sheets of cardboard, and trace out a one piece template. If this still fits correctly, I will trace this piece out on 1/8" plywood. My plan from there is spray adhesive/a thin layer of foam to further insulate/sound barrier, then most likely cover with an outdoor carpet that can be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot(something I have used before and believe it will work well for this project. Color, maybe a medium brown? Follow this same concept for head liner and driver/passenger doors?

The floor, short answer, is over-the-counter, gallon sized, bedliner material. Up front where side tool boxes are, under the seats, this vertical panel is to be painted orange in color to match dash, doors etc. Remaining area, meaning all flat/horizontal surfaces, bed liner. I know there is concern with heat and toxins etc, when applying inside vehicle. I'm past all that research and BS. I plan to roll it with 4" roller once taped off, maybe a second coat, then let it dry/cure until the fumes are no longer. Meaning, I have no plans to drive it down the road immediately after applying the bedliner on the floor. Be a little while before I get the chance to drive it:-) Outdoor carpet on floor, and then my original wood strips on floor, custom length, from back of the back seat to rear hatch/tailgate(what will be my cargo area.

Unside of floor, and inner fender wells; same bedliner material as used inside on the floor. Roll, brush, spray. Whatever it takes to get it on and looking right.

Here is my order for firewall/inside quarter panels and doors: Foil-backed adhesive insulation(I will throw in a side note on application. I have poor luck with this stuff adhering. I have used gasket sealer in the past to patch-fix what was coming loose. The Willys, once I have custom fit my pieces and ensured they fit, I plan roll out a thin coat of bedliner before placing this 'dynomat' material.) (Personally, I'm not sold on a name-brand sound dampener. I look and material made of, thickness, foil backing, and price. These are my decision points.
https://www.amazon.com/Mofun-Deadener-Dampening-Insulation-Waterproof/dp/B09GXQ28Z8/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=firewall%2Binsulation&qid=1656376502&sr=8-14&th=1

And your project, great to hear you are turning wrenches. It takes time, and as you said, block out some time to work on it. Some days I just stare, and spend all my time deciding what I want to do. Some days are spent on the road getting tools, supplies, etc etc. And some days I can show progress(As I have mentioned before, I am very transparent on this build so those following get the detail; Good, Bad, and the Ugly:-) You will get it :-) And I still have the full chassis with Super Hurricane; hint :-) Somebody needs this I know.

gmwillys
06-28-2022, 05:14 AM
Bmorgil,

I'm leaning hard to go with one of your builds. I believe I'll need to revisit the frame to add some boxing to hold up to the torque of one of your builds. It would be well worth the time spent.

JB,

I like your vision of the interior. Simple, but functional. I'm on the fence when it comes to carpet for the rear floor. I like your approach with the idea of laying the wood strips over the carpet. ACC custom auto carpets is right down the road from me, so I will check with them to see how much they would charge to make a carpet for the wagon. Eastwood has some sound deadening material that is rated better than the dynomat, but I will check out the stuff you linked.

bmorgil
06-28-2022, 07:14 AM
jb I like the plan. That should turn out nice and also very functional. I have a good friend who was in the bed liner business. He went through a lot of oxygen. You and gm are going to have to get those "Wagons Circled" when they are done!

jbrewington
06-28-2022, 11:53 AM
jb I like the plan. That should turn out nice and also very functional. I have a good friend who was in the bed liner business. He went through a lot of oxygen. You and gm are going to have to get those "Wagons Circled" when they are done!

I hope so. Would be great to meet you guys.

gmwillys
06-29-2022, 05:34 AM
We all got together last year for Jeep's 80th Anniversary in Toledo. We had a great time! Bmorgil is a fantastic host, and makes some excellent grub. With fuel prices still through the roof, I will not make this years event, but will budget for making the journey next year.

I did see where Toledo is having a virtual parade this year. I'll probably do that for this year.

https://www.toledojeepfest.com/jeep-registration/register-for-the-all-jeep-virtual-parade/

bmorgil
06-29-2022, 07:38 AM
It will be very interesting to see the impact fuel is going to have on the fest this year. People come from a long way away, as gm can attest to. I will be there rep-ing the flags men! Its only a short trip for me less than 20 miles round trip. So today that's about $7.50. About what it used to cost to drive to Kentucky and back.

The virtual should be a neat way to see it. Hopefully everyone in the parade will be driving and not watching it on their phone!

jbrewington
07-01-2022, 09:33 PM

I ordered one of these to the garage to take a look at.

Vision Tactical 17 x 10

Thoughts?

bmorgil
07-02-2022, 06:23 AM
Nice match for the rig. They have that industrial military look. Kind of Si-Fi looking! That thing is going to be a monster.

jbrewington
07-09-2022, 06:03 PM

Slow progress, but it’s progress

This painting business is killin me. I want to see some color.

bmorgil
07-09-2022, 06:30 PM
Painting definitely works on your patience.

gmwillys
07-10-2022, 11:35 AM
I like the wheel selection. The BF Goodrich All Terrains I have on the shelf would look really good on those wheels.

Paint is a slow process, but the paint prep is the part that I loathe. Your wagon is coming along nicely.

jbrewington
07-10-2022, 02:57 PM
I like the wheel selection. The BF Goodrich All Terrains I have on the shelf would look really good on those wheels.

Paint is a slow process, but the paint prep is the part that I loathe. Your wagon is coming along nicely.

Thank you thank you.

Send me the details on tires mentioned. How old are they? How many miles? Size?

bmorgil
07-10-2022, 06:16 PM

From a ways back jb. gm has lots of goodies at the ranch!

gmwillys
07-11-2022, 05:11 AM
Thank you Bmorgil for finding the response. I've had them under a blanket since I brought them home a little over a year ago. If you are interested, I'll take $200 for all four. They are bigger than I want to run on my wagon, so I would rather they go to a loving home, than sit here on the shelf. The good thing about these tires are that they were mounted bon two piece wheels, so they were not stretched when mounted/dismounted.

jbrewington
07-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Thank you Bmorgil for finding the response. I've had them under a blanket since I brought them home a little over a year ago. If you are interested, I'll take $200 for all four. They are bigger than I want to run on my wagon, so I would rather they go to a loving home, than sit here on the shelf. The good thing about these tires are that they were mounted bon two piece wheels, so they were not stretched when mounted/dismounted.

Thank you both. As hard as it is to do so, I will have to pass on the tires. And so appreciative for the offer. Reason being, here in the Ozarks we need/favot agressive tread tires to get around when it is wet outside. These tires, we have seen people on slopes etc, and slide until something stops them, usually a dollar sign involved with the stop:-)

I will be going with some sort of mud terrain tire, eventually. Year 2057, when I get it going.

gmwillys
07-12-2022, 09:20 PM
No problem at all. I completely understand. I figured I'd throw it out there since you were going with the 17" wheel. The last brigade we built, the Operators requested mud terrains over the all Terrains. They went with the Toyo Open Country mudders. I'm not a fan of Toyo anything, so I'm biased, but they turned a sweet driving buggy to constantly chasing the rear end back and forth at highway speeds. Again, the tires aren't really designed for a light vehicle, and asphalt, but it made some of the riders have motion sickness.

jbrewington
07-13-2022, 01:28 PM
No problem at all. I completely understand. I figured I'd throw it out there since you were going with the 17" wheel. The last brigade we built, the Operators requested mud terrains over the all Terrains. They went with the Toyo Open Country mudders. I'm not a fan of Toyo anything, so I'm biased, but they turned a sweet driving buggy to constantly chasing the rear end back and forth at highway speeds. Again, the tires aren't really designed for a light vehicle, and asphalt, but it made some of the riders have motion sickness.

Thank you for the insight on Toyo MT’s. I will keep that in mind.

jbrewington
07-18-2022, 02:41 PM
I got a few pieces back from the paint shop....pretty excited to see some color

LarrBeard
07-18-2022, 03:28 PM
TJones:

Here is your Jeep's Big Twin Brother!

TJones
07-18-2022, 05:52 PM
OMG I love It!!!!
It is mines Big Brother!!!

Siamese Twins separated at the chassis :cool::cool:

bmorgil
07-19-2022, 07:10 AM
Oh now we have to get these Willys together! What a pic, "Big Boy" and "Little Boy"!

gmwillys
07-19-2022, 10:53 AM
True. Orange crate, and now orange crush!

jbrewington
07-24-2022, 08:24 PM
Paint and Body guy calls me on Friday. Says, "Hey, got your Willys painted, all but the very top, come on by and look at it" ....... and I'm 300 miles away:-)

But, it is right down the road from where I work, and I get off at 0800:-)

gmwillys
07-24-2022, 09:08 PM
That's quite the commute! Me being me, I would have started on the top and work my way down.... But I have a bad habit of not tying the air hose over my shoulder, and end up dragging it over freshly prepped primer. Someday I'll learn, or leave it to the pros.

bmorgil
07-25-2022, 06:49 AM
300 miles but, it's on the way! Tempting....

jbrewington
07-29-2022, 08:49 PM
Look at this nonsense :-)

TJones
07-30-2022, 05:24 AM
I sense somebody’s getting a little perturbed :mad:

bmorgil
07-30-2022, 06:31 AM
The package looks pretty ready for color!

jbrewington
07-30-2022, 08:56 AM
I sense somebody’s getting a little perturbed :mad:

Oh no. Guys is doing me a great job. I was just being sarcastic:-) Happy with his work. He got it sprayed yesterday but he is wanting to go back and fix a couple things that showed up. Should get it back next week sometime �� I was just being funny. Excited to have it this far along. You guys know, taking a “66y/o” vehicle and sending to paint, is a challenge for a paint and body guy. Not to mention all the changes I made. And expensive. Not to mention finding someone to do it, because most body shops want the ‘insurance’ jobs.

Here is pics from this morning. Hard to tell, but looks orange��(leaking more sarcasm):-)

gmwillys
07-30-2022, 09:24 AM
Looking great! The color looks good on the wagon too. Good body guys aren't cheap, but the final product will look great for another 60 years. We can't wait to watch all your hard work come together.

bmorgil
07-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Oh man that looks perfect!

TJones
07-31-2022, 05:50 AM
WOW JB that looks awesome!!!!
You are spot on about most body shops want to stick to insurance jobs, the one that did mine bi**he’d and complained about mine and if it wasn’t for the previous owner being a close friend of mine they probably wouldn’t have done it. I bet they did 60 spray outs to try and match the powder coating I had done on the body b4 I said that’s close enough let’s spray it and when they did they were amazed as well as myself!!
Now the fun really begins with yours especially after all the hard work, bloody knuckles and cussing that went on during your build!!!
Can’t wait to see the finished product!!

jbrewington
08-01-2022, 01:32 PM

One gallon Chassis Saver Satin Black ; One quart ‘medium’ Reducer.

Mixed 85/15; or about 2.5oz Reducer to 16oz Chassis Saver paint.

Used just over 1/2 gallon of material; including rear differential.

TJones
08-01-2022, 02:02 PM
You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now jb and it’s not a Freight Train anymore:cool::cool:

Looking pretty damn Good!!
You have us all sitting on the edge of our chairs!!!!

LarrBeard
08-01-2022, 04:37 PM
You'll have to make a uToob video with sound so we can hear the twin-turbos wind up!

bmorgil
08-02-2022, 06:31 AM
That thing is a cutie! I wonder what would happen at a Barrett Jackson?

TJones
08-02-2022, 06:44 AM
Or even a Mecum Auction??
Bet it would take your breath away :cool:

jbrewington
08-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Thank you guys for the nice responses and encouragement. Yes, finally, tilting the scales per sa. I will be sending the front coil springs, front control arms, and rear 4-link out for paint this week.

Also, just got word to come by and pick up the Willys in the morning. Take her back home!! Looking forward to that!! It looks amazing in person. I'm a visual person, but it exceeded my expectations.

Maybe in the next month I can have the engine/trans back in it and set the body on the chassis:-)

Barrett Jackson/Mecum Auctions....what would happed there? Hmmmm :-) Not for sale my friends :-)

Thanks again:-)

TJones
08-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Barrett Jackson/Mecum Auctions....what would happed there? Hmmmm :-) Not for sale my friends :-)

Thanks again:-)[/QUOTE]

Don't say that jb, if the price was right anything at the Jones' is for sale:rolleyes::cool::D

bmorgil
08-02-2022, 11:43 AM

I think you have the worst scenario possible, a nightmare so to speak. It is a part of you and it is made by you for you. Kinda like selling an arm. But then again, it could make you a very tidy sum! I wonder if the loss could be covered by a $750,000 bid?

TJones
08-02-2022, 04:35 PM
I will be sending the front coil springs, front control arms, and rear 4-link out for paint this week.

Damn I wished you lived closer JB, my powder coating buddy does stuff on the weekends for cash CHEAP!!!!

gmwillys
08-03-2022, 07:31 AM
I can fully understand the attachment with your project. There is no amount of money that anyone could offer that would make me consider selling my 2A. Now my ongoing wagon project, if the right money showed up, I might consider it. It would have to be a pile of cash. Much more than the actual value of the project. Too much time and effort invested to just let it go.

The next month will be exciting to watch your project come back together.

bmorgil
08-03-2022, 07:42 AM
I cant wait either gm! That thing is going to be crawling out before you know it.

jbrewington
08-05-2022, 10:18 AM
I guess we got to close to the sun and started thinking to much.... :-)

Instead of buying, decided we will just make our own.

Let me introduce the year2022 model of the 1956 Willy’s Wagon sliding window lock/knob:-)

gmwillys
08-05-2022, 11:31 AM
I will be interested in a set for my project. The knobs will add a nice flair.

Wulfie
08-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Always thought about welding a bunch of scrap iron and parts that i had laying around and calling it sculpture , would bring lots of money my way lol.

bmorgil
08-08-2022, 06:22 AM
That's LarrBeard's favorite art form.... scrap metal welded up and painted and left on a lawn somewhere! Just kidding, I don't think LarrBeard is a fan! Definitely doesn't take a lot of thought. The scrap sculpture does appear to attract tax dollars.

Now jb's wagon.... That is truly art! The art of mechanics, the art of the welder, the art of the creator! That thing just keeps getting better. Fantastic work jb!

TJones
08-08-2022, 06:54 AM
You are correct bmorgil on JB’s piece of Artwork, can’t wait to see it finished!!!!
Especially love the color ;);)

LarrBeard
08-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Harumph!

At the Civic Center here in Ft. Wayne there is a "sculpture" titled "Helmholtz". It is a civic eyesore and a corporate embarrassment. Several years ago a drunk ran over the curb and hit it. According to the creator it was damaged (I think a rattle can would have fixed it) and it was removed and repaired at a cost of over $100K.

Several blocks down the street they are tearing down an old hospital. If this thing is art, the operators of the big hydraulic shears and the excavators are working as full time sculptors.

BUT - one of the local steel fabricators does have a very nice metal sculpture - I'll have to get a picture of it.

When I was in school - a couple of centuries ago, one of the mechanical engineers had to take an art class. He had to display a drawing or painting as a project. His original idea of using a three view drawing of a piston was disapproved by the professor. SO, he had the three-view drawing transferred to a piece of plexiglass, had it chemically etched and put it on a base with a lamp under it - making an edge lit display.

The professor was really irritated at such a tasteless display, but at the class exhibit an executive from Zollner Piston Corp here in Ft. Wayne bought it for the then unheard of price of $500 ...

bmorgil
08-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Bottom line.... If LarrBeard likes it, its good!

jbrewington
08-08-2022, 11:17 AM
Ya’ll got me laughing on this Professional Art!!!:-)

Pulled the Willys home this morning.

gmwillys
08-08-2022, 11:52 AM
Speaking about a piece of art! That's my kind of sculpture. Now we get to sit back and watch it come to life before our eyes.

bmorgil
08-08-2022, 04:23 PM
That looks sooo good on the quarter pane! Just like it came down the assembly line with the wheel well all the way back.

jbrewington
08-10-2022, 08:51 PM

Only thing we can do at this point; is build!! :-)

gmwillys
08-11-2022, 09:02 AM
Build away. This is going to be excellent!

bmorgil
08-11-2022, 09:20 AM
I agree gm! Very cool experience here.

jbrewington
08-12-2022, 04:14 PM

Glorified Labor right here!!

Edit..... more sand blasting today.
:-)Prep....Paint....Assemble:-)

jbrewington
08-19-2022, 01:12 PM

Question of the Day:

Will the Willys be back together and running, by October 15 2022(One year anniversary date where I tore it apart and started all this nonsense)? :-)

:cool:

TJones
08-19-2022, 01:35 PM
My guess is Yes it will be all together by then!!!
I do Love the color JB!!!!!

bmorgil
08-19-2022, 03:09 PM
That color is going to look great on that big rig!

jbrewington
08-21-2022, 10:03 PM

All I like, is finishing up:-)

LarrBeard
08-23-2022, 10:30 AM
We all have a lot of projects like that - started, we just need to finish them up.

I continue to be impressed by that beast. When you "far that muvver up", you have to have YouTube with audio.....

jbrewington
08-23-2022, 07:46 PM

Well, here we go!! Time to start putting it back together.

gmwillys
08-24-2022, 04:53 AM
Looking great! I am definitely digging the color combination.

bmorgil
08-24-2022, 06:00 AM
Oh man if I was that close, I don't think I would be able to sleep at night! I love the way it looks.

jbrewington
08-24-2022, 11:28 AM
Dropped wheels off at tire shop earlier....

bmorgil
08-24-2022, 11:36 AM
I am just not seeing any item on that rig that I don't like!

jbrewington
08-24-2022, 08:35 PM
Dropped wheels off at tire shop earlier....

I may have been joking with the chrome 28’s

Here is the setup for the Willys

Vision Tactical wheels
Toyo Open Country M/T 37/13.50/17’s

gmwillys
08-25-2022, 04:59 AM
The tactical wheels are a much better choice in my opinion. You had shown them off previously, although one can change their mind. I'm glad you didn't go with the bling.

bmorgil
08-25-2022, 06:52 AM
Oh come on gm, whats a little bling on a "Monster"! I cant think of anything that wouldn't work as long as its large.

LarrBeard
08-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Let's see here ..

Brilliant eye-catching orange paint job, compound twin turbos, stands eight feet tall -- I don't see any reason to go "tactical". Bring on the bling.

(Since we're just kibitzing, we can suggest anything)

bmorgil
08-25-2022, 07:13 AM
Let's see here ..

Brilliant eye-catching orange paint job, compound twin turbos, stands eight feet tall -- I don't see any reason to go "tactical". Bring on the bling.

Hahah! Sounds like an intro for a new "Transformers" movie.

51 CJ3
08-25-2022, 07:22 AM
I think it would be great to see how it performs on the Green Hell course when it’s all done.

bmorgil
08-25-2022, 07:42 AM
Of course, I would hate to get it dirty. But I would ride in it if it was getting dirty!

gmwillys
08-25-2022, 06:13 PM
The monster would look good in bright wheels, but it looks great with the blacked out beefs, in my opinion. That's the good thing about being on here. You get a variety of tastes to choose from.

jbrewington
08-27-2022, 09:52 PM
974697479748[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]9749

Got a lot done; but not a lot to show for it. Sandblasting, painting hardware, sealing the floor, etc. I did get one of the mirrors on. Fuel port installed.

TJones
08-28-2022, 05:52 AM
Yes you have JB!!!!!
Keep the pictures coming, can’t wait to see it all put together!!!!

bmorgil
08-28-2022, 06:20 AM
Nice pictures there JB! It is looking good. The interior shot shows the attention to detail that some will never see. The key to great work. A good foundation.

gmwillys
08-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Looking great!

jbrewington
08-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Got the inside sealed up. Time to get it off the trailer and work on the bottom side.

jbrewington
09-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Bending, welding, and swearing; not necessarily in that order������

Fab’d in a fuel cell bracket. 19gallons.

bmorgil
09-04-2022, 05:24 PM
lets see, that twin turbo'ed beast should get at least 10 mpg. That's 190 miles between fuel stops!

I wonder how it will do? That Cummins got good fuel economy with one turbo. I think those Dodge trucks got 18 or better. I have read that a pusher turbo can increase fuel economy, if you don't lean on it too hard.

LarrBeard
09-05-2022, 08:09 AM
"... if you don't lean on it too hard. "

I thought the whole purpose of that magnificent beast was to lean on it hard and make it bellow!

I don't think you have cut a corner anywhere - that fuel cell and mount are top notch!

jbrewington
09-05-2022, 08:39 AM
You all gonna be mad when I post a pic of the Willys body back on the chassis. Today:)

bmorgil
09-05-2022, 09:10 AM
We all are waitin' jb!!!

TJones
09-05-2022, 02:35 PM
Not at all JB, the suspense is killing us:cool::cool::cool:

jbrewington
09-05-2022, 05:28 PM
Not at all JB, the suspense is killing us:cool::cool::cool:

Me as well!! Wish this thing was rollin. But, it will be a little while.

Some of the days unforeseen struggles when your trying to get some things done; by myself. Again building this by myself this time just to see, if I can��. In one year��

Forgot to go back and drill these before paint...��

Cleaning threads on headlight adjusters!!!

jbrewington
09-05-2022, 07:35 PM
To my friends following the Willys build, I have the body back on the chassis and have started the assembly��

bmorgil
09-05-2022, 07:39 PM
A man of your word jb, the body is on! Man it looks good! Man it looks real good.

gmwillys
09-05-2022, 09:45 PM
Outstanding job JB. She looks great with the body set in place.

TJones
09-06-2022, 05:35 AM
Stunning JB, absolutely impeccable work you’ve done!!!!
Your not going to want it get rained on let alone go trail riding up and down creek beds!!:confused::confused:

jbrewington
09-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Stunning JB, absolutely impeccable work you’ve done!!!!
Your not going to want it get rained on let alone go trail riding up and down creek beds!!:confused::confused:

I don’t want to disappoint ya, but��

TJones
09-07-2022, 05:05 AM
I don’t want to disappoint ya, but��

I figured as much jb:cool::cool:

5JeepsAz
09-08-2022, 09:30 PM
Awesome look!

jbrewington
09-09-2022, 10:50 AM
Awesome look!

Thank you sir

jbrewington
09-09-2022, 10:55 AM

Next up be a little wiring!!

TJones
09-09-2022, 07:16 PM
What kind did you get JB??

jbrewington
09-10-2022, 02:11 AM
What kind did you get JB??

Dakota Digital for the gauges.

Kwikwire for wiring harness. I used this brand in my ‘64 Fairlane and dad’s ’51 F-1. Great product and comes tied in at the fusebox. Mount, pull the wires, connect. Wires are all appropriately sized, labeled, and pliable. Two thumbs up.

TJones
09-10-2022, 05:20 AM

I used PainLess on mine and came all tied together like yours and my buddy retired 25 years ago from IBM and was in charge of all of Goodyears computers here in Akron and INSISTED on doing it:D
We call him the “Wire Wizard” mostly because he’s Anal as hell about everything he does.
It came out real sweet, only took 3 weeks but it was Free, I can always wait for Free!!!!

51 CJ3
09-10-2022, 07:46 AM
Wiring is one of those things that requires a lot of patience and attention to detail to make look good. A quarter inch on one wire can make a huge difference in the way the harness looks. I have done a couple of vehicles, an airplane, a different airplane from scratch and a couple of avionics harnesses and still can’t get a harness to look like I want. Always end up with a short or long wire somewhere that messes with the routing and overall look. I think it’s as bad or worse than paint prep for a good paint job.

TJones
09-10-2022, 12:58 PM
I couldn’t agree more Jeff, I thinks it’s the patience part for me but some people Love it!!!

jbrewington
09-10-2022, 01:27 PM

I used PainLess on mine and came all tied together like yours and my buddy retired 25 years ago from IBM and was in charge of all of Goodyears computers here in Akron and INSISTED on doing it:D
We call him the “Wire Wizard” mostly because he’s Anal as hell about everything he does.
It came out real sweet, only took 3 weeks but it was Free, I can always wait for Free!!!!

3weeks is not bad at all. Wiring is slow tedious work. Fact��

jbrewington
09-10-2022, 01:30 PM
Wiring is one of those things that requires a lot of patience and attention to detail to make look good. A quarter inch on one wire can make a huge difference in the way the harness looks. I have done a couple of vehicles, an airplane, a different airplane from scratch and a couple of avionics harnesses and still can’t get a harness to look like I want. Always end up with a short or long wire somewhere that messes with the routing and overall look. I think it’s as bad or worse than paint prep for a good paint job.

Yeah, tedious work. I am fortunate to have a cousin who specializes in trouble shooting late model vehicle wiring. Will be recruiting his help��

jbrewington
09-12-2022, 03:46 PM

I’m always thinking :-)

Dipped handles in bed liner material. Looks awesome.

Now I wish I would have took some before pics; but I didnt:-)

This is best IDEA of the week for me��

TJones
09-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Your Brilliant!!!!
It looks awesome jb!

bmorgil
09-12-2022, 05:50 PM
No sh*# ! Just like it was powder coated! That worked just like Plasti Dip.

jbrewington
09-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Any leads on some 56 Willy’s outside door handles with key/tumblers?

I would like to have a set if anyone can hook me up?!?!

gmwillys
09-13-2022, 03:42 AM
Those are few and far between. I have one that's pretty rough still attached to a spare set of doors, but no key. The set I have on our wagon actually unlock using an International Harvester tractor key. I'm not sure if it was originally that way, but the key opens the driver's door and fits the ignition too.

There is a set of N.O.S. ones on Epay, but hold on to your wallet;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153777194641

bmorgil
09-13-2022, 05:36 AM
Someone is going to have a set of door handles for a long time at that price! The shipping is also outrageous.

I would wonder if there aren't a few in a junk yard somewhere that just need some TLC and a re-chrome. Larrbeard might know where some could be found. A locksmith who specializes in classic automotive might be a good source. These guys are great with locks but I don't know if they have a source for the original door locks and such. They could certainly fix up a set if you could find them.

https://lockdawg.com/classic-car-locksmith/

jbrewington
09-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Someone is going to have a set of door handles for a long time at that price! The shipping is also outrageous.

I would wonder if there aren't a few in a junk yard somewhere that just need some TLC and a re-chrome. Larrbeard might know where some could be found. A locksmith who specializes in classic automotive might be a good source. These guys are great with locks but I don't know if they have a source for the original door locks and such. They could certainly fix up a set if you could find them.

https://lockdawg.com/classic-car-locksmith/

Thank you for the reply. Yes, been looking around and no luck at this point; at all. Willys are not very popular here where I am at so its a road trip on mail order for anything of interest. I will keep looking though, for sure needing a set.

jbrewington
09-13-2022, 08:18 AM
Those are few and far between. I have one that's pretty rough still attached to a spare set of doors, but no key. The set I have on our wagon actually unlock using an International Harvester tractor key. I'm not sure if it was originally that way, but the key opens the driver's door and fits the ignition too.

There is a set of N.O.S. ones on Epay, but hold on to your wallet;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153777194641

I've seen that set on ebay; several times. but just cant justify that kind of money on a door handle, from the country of Turkey(if I remember correctly), concern with exchange rates, and last but not least-trusting that amount of money in that direction?? That's crazy money for a door handle.

LarrBeard
09-13-2022, 02:44 PM
I found some exotic parts at https://montanaoverland.com/.

It is the world's biggest Jeep graveyard. I don't know if the old guy who ran it is even alive any longer --- and you had better hurry before it starts snowing.

bmorgil
09-13-2022, 04:36 PM
There looks like there might be a few there! Now that's a place I would like to visit. Nice find Larry!

jbrewington
09-13-2022, 09:27 PM
GMWILLYS, I sent you a private message when you have time.

gmwillys
09-13-2022, 10:37 PM
I just saw your message, and responded. I'll contact you when you are available.

jbrewington
09-14-2022, 11:51 AM
I just saw your message, and responded. I'll contact you when you are available.

I replied back. Thanks again.

jbrewington
09-14-2022, 11:59 AM

Well, got the wiring harnes and gauge PCM in place...

Now working on radiator setup??

jbrewington
09-18-2022, 12:06 PM

I’m always thinking :-)

Dipped handles in bed liner material. Looks awesome.

Now I wish I would have took some before pics; but I didnt:-)

This is best IDEA of the week for me��

Don’t do it. More to follow. With pics of what happened.

bmorgil
09-18-2022, 05:48 PM
That is an ominous warning jb! I can't wait to watch the next episode.

gmwillys
09-19-2022, 01:28 AM
No kidding. That's quite the cliff hanger.

LarrBeard
09-19-2022, 07:45 AM
"Well, it seemed to be a good idea at the time.."

Been there, said that - and then more.

jbrewington
09-19-2022, 11:51 AM

It seems as this chemical cured, air pockets were entrapped, leaving surface noted. So with great effort, DA sanded this flat, filled the air pockets, refinished with textured surface as I was doing exterior trim.

Looking into Flex Seal liquid Black for future projects

bmorgil
09-19-2022, 03:38 PM
This stuff works very well.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/ I have used it on everything from eye glass stems around the ears, to tool handles.

I use their liquid tape in marine electrical applications.

gmwillys
09-19-2022, 08:04 PM
The Plastidip is good stuff. At least we learned that the bed liner stuff isn't the way to go.

bmorgil
09-20-2022, 06:10 AM
It certainly looked and sounded like a good idea. Bed liner is tough and goes on thick. I kinda wonder what went wrong?

TJones
09-20-2022, 06:31 AM
Bed liner is Very tough stuff, and I’m not a Chemist by no means but it kinda looks like the bed liner had some kinda chemical reaction with with the plastic handles.
Kind of like trying to wipe down a piece of plastic with lacquer thinner to clean it up a little, it starts to melts the plastic.
It did look like a Amazing idea though!!!

jbrewington
09-21-2022, 10:52 AM
The Plastidip is good stuff. At least we learned that the bed liner stuff isn't the way to go.

Bedliner is a No-Go:-)

jbrewington
09-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Bed liner is Very tough stuff, and I’m not a Chemist by no means but it kinda looks like the bed liner had some kinda chemical reaction with with the plastic handles.
Kind of like trying to wipe down a piece of plastic with lacquer thinner to clean it up a little, it starts to melts the plastic.
It did look like a Amazing idea though!!!

It was good while it lasted, right? :-) I slept easy on it, and next time I seen it, I was like what the heck happened.

Something happened:-) Once cured out, it had little air pockets?? But, Oh well, right?? If that is the worst thing to happen with all this nonsense, We Good:-)

jbrewington
09-24-2022, 08:50 PM

Would you look at that. Had that old pig back up in the air today.

bmorgil
09-25-2022, 05:58 AM
Aren't you dying to jump in and roll down the road?! I love the way the rear wheels are all the way back. A very unique look.

TJones
09-25-2022, 06:04 AM
I bet the lift grunts a little when your pickin the “Ole Pig” up in the air:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jbrewington
09-26-2022, 04:43 PM
I bet the lift grunts a little when your pickin the “Ole Pig” up in the air:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope it gets used to it������

jbrewington
09-26-2022, 04:44 PM
Aren't you dying to jump in and roll down the road?! I love the way the rear wheels are all the way back. A very unique look.

Yes, ready to roll out!!

But I’m a patient guy. Little by little...

jbrewington
09-26-2022, 08:02 PM

Started on the windshield wiper set-up today.
Electric motor conversion, sandblasted parts, started the installation.

Original Wiper Parts:
Sandblasted the parts. Turned out nice. Blowed everthing out really well, got all the pulleys working freely, then oiled/greased moving parts. Painted hardware and steel parts.

Electric motor conversion:
Few things came up during this.
1) Electric wiper motor 'bracket'(galvanized piece) was interferring with a rubber grommet in firewall(factory hole through firewall). Easy fix. Trimmed bracket(passenger side upper hole) as seen in picture. Relocated hole. No issues.
2)Shaft on electric motor, held the bracket off firewall(monting bracket pivots off length of motor shaft), keeping all 4 corners from laying againt firewall same time. It could have been designed this way? Meaning, once I added some rubber bushings under bracket, it worked out great(rubber bushings did not come with Electric Motor conversion)
3)Holes in mounting bracket were about .175-.200 diameter; no hardware included(but it was clear on order/website no hardware provided). I was concerned with longevity of small bolts, plenty of action(wipers twisting), and possible working small hardware loose. So, I chose to drill the holes oversize to 1/4", used flange head bolts with nylon lock washers on back side. Happy with results.

And in all this craziness, realized one of wiper assembly tensioner spring is broken. I need a spring if anybody has an extra, or the complete tensioner assembly would be fine, and very appreciated....

gmwillys
09-27-2022, 03:11 AM
Looks great sitting there on the lift, and the wiper motor is a nice addition. You'll like the reliability of the electric motor compared to the vacuum wipers, especially with the diesel creating the vacuum source.

jbrewington
10-01-2022, 09:01 PM

The Willy body has been secured down to frame. Lots of math, measuring and making necessary adjustments. Moving on.

Bumper and Canopy rack next.

bmorgil
10-02-2022, 07:15 AM
Closer and closer jb! I recognize the string. Still the best way.

gmwillys
10-03-2022, 12:07 AM
As far as modern alignment has come, we still use a string on the production line to line up the two steer axles with the two drive axles. Simple but it works well.

jbrewington
10-03-2022, 10:10 PM

Wasn’t happy with turbo setup. So I spent the day getting it right.

Time order an intercooler? Radiator? AC condenser?

bmorgil
10-04-2022, 07:47 AM
You are definitely going to fill up the hatch with the trimmings there jb!

LarrBeard
10-04-2022, 07:59 AM
"Is That A Willys Wagon??"

Nope, it's starting to look like a Freightliner up front! I'm in awe - no shyte.

jbrewington
10-04-2022, 10:54 AM
You are definitely going to fill up the hatch with the trimmings there jb!

I believe you are correct. Much smaller space than it looks. I have dipped a measuring tape in that engine bay in excess 100 times. Geezzzzzz:-)

That opening off the grill is only 20x18. Ever tried to find a Radiator, Intercooler and AC condenser to fit in a max space of 25 x 25 x 9.5. I have been weeks researching this(reason for no progress). But the order was put in this morning. We will see:-)

jbrewington
10-04-2022, 10:55 AM
"Is That A Willys Wagon??"

Nope, it's starting to look like a Freightliner up front! I'm in awe - no shyte.

Hey, way it is going, no telling what the heck this thing will look like:-). Right?:-)

LarrBeard
10-04-2022, 02:03 PM
Wasn't there a John Wayne movie. "The War Wagon?"

bmorgil
10-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Great old movie, John Wayne as the legendary Taw Jakson. Fits right in. This rig will "Taw" a big load!

gmwillys
10-04-2022, 11:54 PM
War wagon is fitting for this build. JB's vision is a lot like John Wayne branded toilet paper.....Rough and tough, and doesn't take crap off anyone.

On another note JB, I have not received a response from the guy in Montana on the door handles and windshield divider. The search continues.

TJones
10-05-2022, 03:48 AM
The suspense is Killing me jb!!!!
I bet you can’t wait to turn the key the first time.
I know what mine was like after 3 or so years:rolleyes:

jbrewington
10-06-2022, 11:00 AM

Some might not like this, but part of the initial build plan. Not intended to upset those doing original builds. The originals are much cooler, worth way more and everyone like originality(including me:-) )

Drilling some BIG HOLES through the Orange.

jbrewington
10-06-2022, 03:44 PM

This is all a part of the one-off exo designed to carry/mount Roof Rack/Snorkel/Exhaust.

bmorgil
10-06-2022, 05:26 PM
A lot of detail going in now jb. It sure is looking good!

jbrewington
10-06-2022, 08:37 PM
A lot of detail going in now jb. It sure is looking good!

I guess we could smudge it together; call it a day :-)

Just joking. But it will be idle for next two weeks due to my work schedule and being gone all next week(looking forward to attending Rendezvous In The Ozarks) then I will get back on it. Lots of parts on the way. Stocking up so I can get a little more work done. :-)

TJones
10-07-2022, 05:46 AM
Rivet Nuts are the greatest jb, I used a lot in my project and the bigger bolts in the frame I used weld-in inserts b4 I sent the frame out to get powder coated.
You are doing a First Class job, like Bob said you are paying a lot of attention to detail and it shows for sure!!!!

gmwillys
10-09-2022, 08:55 PM
The exoskeleton won't take away from the overall look at all. If anything, it will protect all your hard work when applying too much skinny pedal to bounce over an obstacle.

jbrewington
11-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Anybody heard from that guy building that ugly Willys Wagon?

TJones
11-18-2022, 06:28 AM
Haven’t heard a peep outta him JB:confused:

bmorgil
11-18-2022, 07:06 AM
I hope the Monster didn't eat him! Maybe the intake air at the turbo was so strong it sucked him in!

jbrewington
11-20-2022, 09:26 PM
I shared a post outside this platform on mounting LEDs in these old junkers :-)

gmwillys
11-21-2022, 02:30 AM
Welcome back stranger.

P.S., I never heard another word from the guy on the door handles or the center divider for the windshield.

bmorgil
11-21-2022, 06:32 AM
That is a great way to hook up the lights jb. I am sure more than a few will pick up on that one.

jbrewington
11-21-2022, 10:44 AM
That is a great way to hook up the lights jb. I am sure more than a few will pick up on that one.

Thank you sir.

jbrewington
11-21-2022, 10:45 AM
Welcome back stranger.

P.S., I never heard another word from the guy on the door handles or the center divider for the windshield.

:-)

I will put a post up and see if anyone can help with the part or maybe a lead?

jbrewington
11-21-2022, 10:49 AM
Looking for a couple outside door handles to fit a 56 Willys Wagon.

Also looking for split winshield, outside, center piece for 56 Willys Wagon.

Any leads, or parts available?

JB

jbrewington
11-23-2022, 04:40 PM

Started wiring ignition in last night.

bmorgil
11-23-2022, 07:02 PM
That sound proofing is really going to pay off. Nice looking work jb!

TJones
11-24-2022, 05:37 AM
Looking Great as usual JB, I do Love the color:cool::cool:

VTWilly
11-24-2022, 11:09 AM
I needed the whole wiper set up a few months back and Montana Overland was able to hook me up. I'd shoot them an email and let them know what you are looking for.

VTWilly

jbrewington
11-28-2022, 09:34 AM
I needed the whole wiper set up a few months back and Montana Overland was able to hook me up. I'd shoot them an email and let them know what you are looking for.

VTWilly

Thank you kindly.

jbrewington
12-05-2022, 07:04 PM
Back on the Willy’s this week. Just mated the mastercylinder with Hydroboost; special/custom cut the rod between the two. The instructions elude to how easy it is to over cut this rod, and I now know why.

bmorgil
12-05-2022, 08:34 PM
Too short is definitely a problem jb! The Hydroboost is a nice feature that's for sure. Some serious braking pressure there.

gmwillys
12-06-2022, 12:55 AM
A hydroboost makes a world of difference for engines that don't produce enough vacuum for traditional braking systems. A guy who built a radical street Camaro with a nice thumpy cam couldn't figure out why he had no brake assistance from the traditional vacuum boost. We recommended that he try out a hydroboost from a Chevy Astro van for its compact size.

On custom brake pedal set ups, I've used a wood dowel to get the measurements just right for proper travel and etc. Sometimes you cut it three times, and it's still too short.....

bmorgil
12-06-2022, 07:02 AM
Sometimes you cut it three times, and it's still too short.....

Hahaha! Darn hard to get the "rod stretcher" on it and pull it back to length. This reminds me of my Dad's favorite saying... "Measure twice, cut once".

jbrewington
12-06-2022, 09:02 AM
A hydroboost makes a world of difference for engines that don't produce enough vacuum for traditional braking systems. A guy who built a radical street Camaro with a nice thumpy cam couldn't figure out why he had no brake assistance from the traditional vacuum boost. We recommended that he try out a hydroboost from a Chevy Astro van for its compact size.

On custom brake pedal set ups, I've used a wood dowel to get the measurements just right for proper travel and etc. Sometimes you cut it three times, and it's still too short.....

Wooden dowel is a great idea

jbrewington
12-06-2022, 09:14 AM
I believe the struggle with cutting these to short, is a false representation of the rod when mating these up for length. Meaning, rod is low/not correctly located on master cylinder end(not in the dimple per sa but laying on lower surface below correct location). This will cause an incorrect length; about .200 short if not careful. Instructions call for 1/32-1/16”(.030-.060?). My point in how easy it is to cut short.

Here is how I aligned the rod to ensure correct placement; for measurements.

jbrewington
12-06-2022, 08:59 PM

All day to do it, but, was able to mount the LED bulb assemble and get the gearing selectors installed. Final assemble(fingers crossed).

gmwillys
12-07-2022, 01:34 AM
Along with the wood dowel, the CAD, (cardboard aided design) works fantastic for holding brake rods in place and sheet metal design.

bmorgil
12-07-2022, 08:20 AM
It just keeps getting closer!

jbrewington
12-18-2022, 12:23 AM

Well, I’ve been under the hood this week. Turbos are mounted with oil lines attached.

TJones
12-18-2022, 04:45 AM
It’s is looking Good JB, bet you can’t wait to fire the Ole Girl up!!!!

bmorgil
12-18-2022, 06:57 AM
Looking nice and tidy under the hood jb. I cant wait till you power it up.

gmwillys
12-18-2022, 11:59 PM
Tidy is an understatement! Sweet indeed. She will sound awesome with those turbos spooling.

jbrewington
12-30-2022, 08:37 PM
Well Ive been down couple weeks with some flu, da Vid, H1N1, monkey pox or some other democratic disaster.

jbrewington
12-30-2022, 08:39 PM
Came across a couple outside door handdles in good shape. And, has the key pod. Just need to see if I can make a key.

gmwillys
12-30-2022, 11:49 PM
Glad you are feeling better! A key should be pretty easy since you can take the handle to a lock smith, or you might get lucky and find a key in your junk drawer.... We all have that drawer that all the lose keys end up.

LarrBeard
12-31-2022, 06:53 AM
Two things:

A. The innards can get work pretty badly - you may need the overhaul kit.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/outside-door-handle-trigger-repair-kit-fits-46-64-truck-station-wagon

B. The handles mount to the door with a couple of screws at the back. The receptacles for those screws take all of the pulling and tugging when you slam the door. Those threads can be worn and it is difficult to get the screws to stay tight. Loose screws make a rattle right at your elbow - annoying.

But you may not even hear it with those turbos.

bmorgil
12-31-2022, 07:34 AM
Good to hear you mended from the various "cruds" circulating!

I am pretty sure LockDawg can get you a key. https://lockdawg.com/classic-car-locksmith/ There shouldn't be much trouble getting a key made or, the handles restored.

jbrewington
12-31-2022, 08:01 PM
You guys are SO helpful. Very grateful at that.

Im out here whiskey whispers, deciding, pondering on how I am going to mount a 3rd brake light. I will share once done but just know I’m not afraid to charter my own way with something:-). Warned:-)

jbrewington
12-31-2022, 08:03 PM

Mounted this earlier

bmorgil
01-01-2023, 07:23 AM
I always liked that third light inside behind the glass. Do you have that option available jb? Anywhere you put it its going to look Mod on the Willys.

LarrBeard
01-02-2023, 08:01 AM
Im out here whiskey whispers,

Just be careful. Whenever Jack, Jim or Evan helped me with a job, things sometimes turned out a bit differently than we had planned.

jbrewington
01-02-2023, 08:20 PM
Well, here is my design. Against the grain/not the norm, but that’s me:-)

3rd brake light installed

gmwillys
01-03-2023, 01:15 AM
I like it. The cage with the third brake light is genius. The whiskey whispers worked out in this case rather well.

bmorgil
01-03-2023, 07:32 AM
Agreed! Perfect. That's about as high in the air as a third light gets.

LarrBeard
01-03-2023, 07:49 AM
JB, Jack, Jim and Evan did good!

TJones
01-03-2023, 08:19 AM
You have to have a bucket in your Garage-Ma-Hall JB, I remember sitting in mine on a bucket drinking Heinekens and thinking what else can I do to make it different from anything else on the street :cool::cool:

Great Job!!!

jbrewington
01-03-2023, 08:03 PM
I got a bottle; and I know where its at. Sold cold it pours like oil :-)

I got a bucket :-). Bucket list on this rig. Getting there. Getting some time to work on it this week.

jbrewington
01-03-2023, 08:10 PM

Started on my door hardware. Disassembled driver side and media blasted the parts that needed it.

Pulled out the 56 Willys rubber kit today and dug out pieces for the doors.

Made a phone call to my window tinting guy; see him Monday with all the windows-still boxed up:-)

Made a trip to town and picked up some of the materials to start interior panels. Started collecting what is needed for when the time comes.

Tomorrow the plan is paint all these parts and start sand blasting passenger side parts.

We had 70 temps today so capitalizing on the nice weather, for things I need nice weather.

gmwillys
01-04-2023, 12:47 AM
TJ does have one of the most unique CJs on the road, that's for sure. It is wicked fast even though I didn't dare test out that assumption since it wasn't mine. TJ wasn't afraid of giving it plenty of skinny pedal though. If some day we could all get together and place both of your rigs next to each other, the rest of us would get passed by just to get a better look at your guy's handy work.

bmorgil
01-04-2023, 06:47 AM
gm, setting up the next get together. Jeep Fest August 2023? I would love to see those two next to each other. A true "Orange Crush"! If jb brings that thing to town, I will do my best to get them inside.