PDA

View Full Version : Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TJones
01-05-2023, 05:20 AM
gm, setting up the next get together. Jeep Fest August 2023? I would love to see those two next to each other. A true "Orange Crush"! If jb brings that thing to town, I will do my best to get them inside.

Now that might be something to think about:confused:
How far is Toledo for you jb??
It’s just a short road trip across the turnpike for me, maybe we can talk Sr. Cheif to make the trip as well!!
Great Idea Bmorgil!!!

LarrBeard
01-05-2023, 08:15 AM
Now that might be something to think about:confused:
How far is Toledo for you jb??
It’s just a short road trip across the turnpike for me, maybe we can talk Sr. Cheif to make the trip as well!!
Great Idea Bmorgil!!!

I'm already thinking about it. It might just be a quick trip over for the parade, kind of a long day - but it's definitely in the thinking stage.

Get up a bit early, ease over on US 24, sneak into the parking lot at 6:30 and get in front ... we can do that!

TJones
01-05-2023, 09:46 AM
Get up a bit early, ease over on US 24, sneak into the parking lot at 6:30 and get in front ... we can do that!

Now we’re talking!!!!
GM are you in too???

bmorgil
01-05-2023, 10:27 AM
I don't think we will need to "sneak" you anywhere Larry. If I tell them your coming, I am sure you have a spot inside or out. They know you and yours! Of course if you stayed, I could smoke a few racks of St Louis ribs.....

jbrewington
01-05-2023, 12:38 PM
Only 700 miles one way:-)

bmorgil
01-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Only 700 miles one way:-)

Yikes! Thats a drive, gmwillys knows the way. The ribs will be worth it.

jbrewington
01-05-2023, 05:18 PM
I’m going to let a few lightly used window seals go for free if anyone interested.

gmwillys
01-06-2023, 12:52 AM
700 miles is just slightly longer than from the rust ranch to Toledo, (655miles). It's a good ride though, as long as I75 is not blocked off due to an accident at the Kentucky line.

I can sure vouch for the quality of the smoked ribs. They are worth the trip alone. With Senior Chief LarrBeard leading us to the front of the parade.

The photos are from the 2021, 80th Jeep Anniversary Jeep Fest. The first picture is of T.J.'s Orange Crush, LarrBeard's Hamm's 48. The second is at the staging area in downtown Toledo, with Bmorgil's P J in the center. The third is a glimpse of the sea of mall crawlers. The last is a Willys MB that the young lady standing next to it in period dress, rebuilt herself with the help of her hubby.

bmorgil
01-06-2023, 07:18 AM
Nice pics gm! The turnout for the Jeep Fest is amazing. Thousands of Jeeps and many old Willys. I will say however, I think jb's would be one of the top rigs ogled over! I haven't seen anything that would rival it yet. There are some highly modified vehicles, but none with the attention to detail as jb's and none with that unique of a powertrain. Throw in the custom monster body and I think its a show stopper.

LarrBeard
01-06-2023, 07:50 AM
The red-headed lady with the Jeep was one of the high points of the event. She has created a persona as a WWII combat photographer who is trying her best to get as close to the front lines as she can.

Her Jeep is mostly an original set of MB/GP parts and was arguably the oldest set of parts at the event. She has incorporated her husband as her "bodyguard", a scruffy looking soldier in WWII combat gear with a repro plastic M1. He wants to get out of this "chicken" assignment watching this officer and get to Berlin. His gas mask carrier is full of chocolate and silk stockings and he has plans.

Her daughter and grand-daughter are characters too; they are a couple of “orphans” she has taken under her care.

It is an unbelievable event.

jbrewington
01-20-2023, 03:26 PM
Well, replacing the window seals in door glass is nothing less than exciting!! Ready to sale this thing to highest bid.

gmwillys
01-21-2023, 12:56 AM
You are definitely on the home stretch now. Hold out for stupid money.... your workmanship is well worth it. Just look at what Dodge Power Wagons are selling for through Legacy Classic trucks.

https://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/p-34987-legacy-power-wagon-conversion.html

TJones
01-21-2023, 05:40 AM
Yes
I’m with gm hold out jb, you’ve worked to hard, to long and have put to much thought into the Orange Masterpiece to walk away now.
TRUST me I know it gets Frustrating…. But after you get it to where she starts, moves, and stops you’ll pat yourself on the back and be Proud of what you set your mind too and accomplished!!!!!
It Looks Great Buddy!!!

LarrBeard
01-21-2023, 08:51 AM
If you think window seals are exciting, try finding someone who can still do a "rope set" to set a two piece windshield. I had to reset mine to fix leaks and it took four pieces of glass get two in without breaking. I had to find a company with "a real old guy" who knew how to rope set glass.

The glass company said that it takes three people to do it; "One inside, one outside and the secretary to keep track of who needs to pull next".

This makes it seem sooo easy ...

https://blog.steelerubber.com/how-to-rope-in-your-windshield-or-back-window-glass

But it isn't!

bmorgil
01-21-2023, 09:21 AM
True story Larry, a real pain in he butt! I have held grunt level positions in the "Rope Seal Installers Gang".

Those window vents can be impossible jb. Even on the "newer" 1970's era cars, that design was a bitch. I never had any replacement pieces that fit like the original. Every time they needed a little TLC.

jbrewington
01-21-2023, 10:26 PM
If you think window seals are exciting, try finding someone who can still do a "rope set" to set a two piece windshield. I had to reset mine to fix leaks and it took four pieces of glass get two in without breaking. I had to find a company with "a real old guy" who knew how to rope set glass.

The glass company said that it takes three people to do it; "One inside, one outside and the secretary to keep track of who needs to pull next".

This makes it seem sooo easy ...

https://blog.steelerubber.com/how-to-rope-in-your-windshield-or-back-window-glass

But it isn't!

Well, I just put the windshield in this evening. WOW!!! Just in general, glass install on these wagons is a true pain in the A$$. I will post a pic.

It was rough!!

jbrewington
01-21-2023, 10:38 PM
Yes
I’m with gm hold out jb, you’ve worked to hard, to long and have put to much thought into the Orange Masterpiece to walk away now.
TRUST me I know it gets Frustrating…. But after you get it to where she starts, moves, and stops you’ll pat yourself on the back and be Proud of what you set your mind too and accomplished!!!!!
It Looks Great Buddy!!!

Well I was just venting/talking smack, when I mentioned it was for sale. But you're right, it would take much more than anyone could image for me to sale this thing:-) To much work to hand it over.... :-)

jbrewington
01-21-2023, 10:43 PM
True story Larry, a real pain in he butt! I have held grunt level positions in the "Rope Seal Installers Gang".

Those window vents can be impossible jb. Even on the "newer" 1970's era cars, that design was a bitch. I never had any replacement pieces that fit like the original. Every time they needed a little TLC.

Vent windows; they suck. 100%!!!!! I took everything out of the doors, sandblasted, paint, greased, replaced. That included pulling the vent window frames apart, new seals, rivet frame back together and then reinstalling. Man!!! And this is not the first time I have done this; but pretty sure it is my LAST. Just the time involved, WOW. I am deep deep in hours to install. Can't image paying someone by the hour to do all this.

jbrewington
01-21-2023, 10:48 PM
Also, I have put a new thread up on how to install sliding glass, over in the "How To" section. Looking for some pics of windows installed. Pics of inside and out. How windows sit in the rubber etc.

Any help here is deeply appreciated.

bmorgil
01-22-2023, 07:36 AM
On top of the struggle with the seals, you are trying very hard not to scratch something.

A lot of little things that take a lot of time jb. It it sure makes you aware of why you have to pay someone dearly if you can't do it yourself.

jbrewington
01-22-2023, 12:59 PM
On top of the struggle with the seals, you are trying very hard not to scratch something.

A lot of little things that take a lot of time jb. It it sure makes you aware of why you have to pay someone dearly if you can't do it yourself.

Oh my. Now we want to bring up scratches. :-) You DON’T want to see some marks I have made since it was painted. Unintentional, but Mighty damage to a FEW spots(sad). They are NOT scratches. I will just need to send it back the body shop once I get it together. Case closed :-)

bmorgil
01-22-2023, 05:41 PM
I had to take a drive to the body shop when I finished my Jeep jb. No matter how hard you try.....

jbrewington
01-22-2023, 08:00 PM
I had to take a drive to the body shop when I finished my Jeep jb. No matter how hard you try.....

Fact (needed 6 more characters) :-)

gmwillys
01-23-2023, 01:02 AM
That's why I like not having paint. Nothing to chip or scratch.

Windows are a pain, no two ways about it.

LarrBeard
01-23-2023, 08:34 AM
Don't even start me about window seals and paint issues.

After a year or so, my long-suffering wife and I got caught in a rainstorm on the way home from a show. The windshield leaked at the worst spot - right on her foot, so I took the '48 over to the glass shop to get the windshield reset.

After four pieces of glass to get two panes set, when they pulled the paint tape off - the paint came with it! The harder they tried to fix it, the worse it got. This started a saga that ended up getting the truck repainted under the original painter's shop insurance. But - it sure looks good!

bmorgil
01-23-2023, 09:02 AM
Unbelievable Larry! A windshield leak turns into a repaint. Well it certainly looked good leading the show in Toledo!

Mike P
01-23-2023, 10:11 AM
I live on a gravel road so no nice paint for me! (That’s my excuse anyway…:rolleyes:)

jbrewington
01-23-2023, 10:17 AM
I live on a gravel road so no nice paint for me! (That’s my excuse anyway…:rolleyes:)

:D love the gravel road drives

gmwillys
01-24-2023, 01:09 AM
Nothing better than a winding gravel forest service roads through the mountains, or anywhere away from the rat race for that matter.

bmorgil
01-24-2023, 07:34 AM
I have that situation under control. I have a long gravel driveway, so I drive peeJ along side the drive on the nicely mowed lawn! Also keeping the dust off of the tires, Hahaha!

TJones
01-24-2023, 08:01 AM
I can vouch for that at bmorgil’s ranch, been there and done that:cool::cool::cool:

LarrBeard
01-24-2023, 09:29 AM
peeJ is hopelessly spoiled and pampered, as he should be!

At least he didn't have to dress up in Christmas lights .... it will take a while to live that down.

Mike P
01-24-2023, 09:50 AM
This forum needs a “like!” button!

bmorgil
01-24-2023, 04:38 PM
We like em' all Mike!

jbrewington
01-24-2023, 06:06 PM
This forum needs a “like!” button!

Yes sir it does

LarrBeard
01-24-2023, 06:45 PM
JB:

I was just channel surfing and I came across a show on the MotorTrend network - Junkyard something or other. One of the main characters was talking about his "dream project"
- a "Big Willys Truck with a twin turbo setup or something like that". You are living a TV star's dream buddy!

But - up close most dreams do look a lot like work!

jbrewington
01-24-2023, 10:45 PM
JB:

I was just channel surfing and I came across a show on the MotorTrend network - Junkyard something or other. One of the main characters was talking about his "dream project"
- a "Big Willys Truck with a twin turbo setup or something like that". You are living a TV star's dream buddy!

But - up close most dreams do look a lot like work!

I will surf around and try to find it. Thanks for sharing.

jbrewington
01-24-2023, 10:49 PM
10089. Tint all around; 50% on windshield.

Last I checked, windshield and back hatch glass were crack free still

Working on trying to get a short video of sliding windows so I can see how all that goes together.

bmorgil
01-25-2023, 06:50 AM
jb, have you given these guy's a try? They are big in Windshields, but I think they may have some info on the sliders.

https://classicwindshields.com/

TJones
01-25-2023, 06:51 AM
JB it’s called Junkyard Empires!!!

jbrewington
01-25-2023, 07:48 AM
JB it’s called Junkyard Empires!!!

Got it. Thanks!!

jbrewington
01-25-2023, 07:49 AM
jb, have you given these guy's a try? They are big in Windshields, but I think they may have some info on the sliders.

https://classicwindshields.com/

I will call them today. Thank you!!!

gmwillys
01-26-2023, 02:36 AM
Junkyard Empire.... They did an MB Jeep some time back, and they did a lot of right things wrong. Mostly it's just me being persnickety, because any Jeep saved from the scrap heap is a good thing.

Maybe you can sell them some drawings of how a turbo should be set up.

jbrewington
01-31-2023, 04:19 PM
Got some keys made for the Willys;-)

Sent the locks to town and had some keys ‘impressed’. 3weeks but he got it(never had a working key to either lock. Hatchback lock came out of Knoxville TN and door lock handle came from New Jersey. They reside in Arkansas:-).

gmwillys
02-01-2023, 01:38 AM
I still like the black handles. Looks great against the orange.

jbrewington
02-02-2023, 06:08 AM
I still like the black handles. Looks great against the orange.

Thank you sir

jbrewington
02-04-2023, 09:36 AM
Started on headliner. Never done upholstery, BUT….

bmorgil
02-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Looks like you have done it before jb!

LarrBeard
02-04-2023, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=jbrewington;21177]Got some keys made for the Willys;-)

It just looks better and better!

LarrBeard
02-04-2023, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=jbrewington;21219]Started on headliner. Never done upholstery, BUT….

By the time you get done, you are going to have all kinds of new skills.

How are the sliders coming along?

jbrewington
02-04-2023, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=jbrewington;21219]Started on headliner. Never done upholstery, BUT….

By the time you get done, you are going to have all kinds of new skills.

How are the sliders coming along?

No luck on slider info yet. Still working on it.

gmwillys
02-06-2023, 01:43 AM
I'm going to try and take a couple of days off this week. I'll get some photos of what mine looks like in stock form, then maybe reverse engineer it without pulling it apart.

Your interior ceiling looks great!

TJones
02-06-2023, 05:43 AM
A couple days off?????
You’re LONG over due for that Buddy, maybe get some sleep.
The government must be getting ready for something BIG…..

And Yes JB, this isn't your first rodeo the headliner looks awesome!!!!!!

gmwillys
02-07-2023, 02:47 AM
Yeah, we really haven't had a full 24 hours off in a while. I finally received a back up, so now I can take a couple days off. We are still trying to recoup from supplier shortages from covid. The Depot is gearing up to send some tanks and APCs to include some first gen Strykers to the Ukraine.

jbrewington
02-07-2023, 06:56 AM
I'm going to try and take a couple of days off this week. I'll get some photos of what mine looks like in stock form, then maybe reverse engineer it without pulling it apart.

Your interior ceiling looks great!

Thank you thank you sir. I greatly appreciate that. Looking forward to getting rest of the glass installed for sure.

jbrewington
02-09-2023, 09:53 PM
Not sure I should have wast a whole day on this….

TJones
02-10-2023, 06:21 AM
I think it looks Sweet jb, I Love the idea you put a hinge in it and cut the curve to match the roof line.
It’s your project and you wanted to do it so you did, who cares what anyone else thinks!!!!
Great Job Again!!!

bmorgil
02-10-2023, 07:17 AM
jb, spending a day on something you are going to look at every time and every minute you are behind the wheel, is not wasted time. Your passengers will also be staring at it if they are looking out the windshield. If there was ever a spot for attention to detail, this is it. Looking like a show stopper jb!

LarrBeard
02-10-2023, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=jbrewington;21242]Not sure I should have wast a whole day on this…."

The craftsmanship is great, but I am just as impressed by how you keep coming up with one great idea after another.

Definitely not a wasted day!

jbrewington
02-10-2023, 08:49 PM

Got the rear box in. Now on to the upper side panels and incandescent lighting panels. :-)

jbrewington
02-20-2023, 11:23 AM

RVSC in place (rear view spy cam) :-)

Better go pee on the tree…. ;-)

TJones
02-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Great idea jb:):)

jbrewington
03-01-2023, 06:33 PM

Getting a little closer to running this thing.

Follow on Instagram @mountainlifeoverlanding

bmorgil
03-01-2023, 07:00 PM
I cant believe how well that entire combination fits in there! Man it just looks so natural. There is a whole lot going on there.

jbrewington
03-01-2023, 07:44 PM
I cant believe how well that entire combination fits in there! Man it just looks so natural. There is a whole lot going on there.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

gmwillys
03-02-2023, 01:59 AM
I agree. A high dollar custom shop couldn't make the power barn look any better than what you have done.

TJones
03-02-2023, 05:02 AM
You have it all jammed in there like a sardine can!!!!
WOW that thing is looking Great jb!

jbrewington
03-02-2023, 10:11 PM
Time for a ‘break’ :-)

I am closing in on the end of this build. Please follow me on Instagram as I transition to getting this rig out and sharing the outdoors.

Instagram @mountainlifeoverlanding

Mike P
03-02-2023, 11:02 PM
Just gave you a follow!

bmorgil
03-03-2023, 07:34 AM
Oh man this is getting close to the moment we have all been waiting for!

Some of us Old Timers don't "do" Instagram jb. Keep us updated here also if you can, so we can document this forever on the KW forum.

51 CJ3
03-03-2023, 11:36 AM
Nor facebook or twitter or tik tok or….

jbrewington
03-03-2023, 12:19 PM
Just gave you a follow!

Thanks. Appreciated.

jbrewington
03-08-2023, 07:53 PM

Throttle linkage ready

Still working on brakes; 3 more lines….

gmwillys
03-09-2023, 01:18 AM
Looking great. What type of brake pedal assembly are you thinking of going with? On my Heep II, it has a Wagoneer 1st gen pedal assembly graphed in, and they look descent. They were cobbled in, but I refined the rough edges to a more closer to a professional look.

jbrewington
03-14-2023, 10:15 PM
Looking great. What type of brake pedal assembly are you thinking of going with? On my Heep II, it has a Wagoneer 1st gen pedal assembly graphed in, and they look descent. They were cobbled in, but I refined the rough edges to a more closer to a professional look.

Thank you sir

Clutch/brake assembly from Ram 2500

gmwillys
03-15-2023, 02:18 AM
That looks pretty good. Good spacing for the clutch and brake. The slight slant for the skinny pedal would be comfortable to me.

Did you get your sliding windows figured out?

jbrewington
03-15-2023, 03:20 AM
That looks pretty good. Good spacing for the clutch and brake. The slight slant for the skinny pedal would be comfortable to me.

Did you get your sliding windows figured out?

Maybe?? I plan to get back on the windows in couple weeks when I start interior again. Maybe??

A lot of micro stuff right now.

Homemade transfer case linkage…

bmorgil
03-15-2023, 06:26 AM
The "micro stuff" could go on for a while. That's your attention to detail kicking in jb!

jbrewington
03-15-2023, 09:51 AM
The "micro stuff" could go on for a while. That's your attention to detail kicking in jb!

You’re right about that. Still getting kicked; in the teeth per sa;-)

TJones
03-16-2023, 05:41 AM
And it gets worse the closer to the finish line you get JB:):)

jbrewington
03-25-2023, 08:20 AM

Still in the detail stuff….

Might just blow some smoke today. Feeling good about firing it up:-)

bmorgil
03-25-2023, 08:28 AM
Cant wait for that sound bite jb!!!

TJones
03-25-2023, 09:29 AM
Looks like the smoke is about to roll!!!!

jbrewington
03-30-2023, 03:14 PM

Had a little event with power steering gear box. Gear driven hydraulic pumps DON’T play.

bmorgil
03-30-2023, 05:00 PM
Oh man I hate that! Right on the new paint.

jbrewington
03-30-2023, 06:06 PM
Oh man I hate that! Right on the new paint.

Right. Degreaser bottle broke. Pressure washer blowed fuel line shortly after starting. Water hose and some soap. I got most of it off and spent another two hours cleaning shop. Sprayed all over welders, tool boxes, wall etc etc. I made a mess of things. Did best I could, went in and sat down for 15-20, then cleaned up and went to church service for the evening.

There are the good days, and then there are the trouble days. This was a Good day, with a bad event per sa. The good was I got the 4bt up to 180degree before this hydraulic issue. Wish this website supported video uploads.

#mountainlifeoverlanding

gmwillys
03-31-2023, 02:19 AM
If you don't have a leak somewhere, it wouldn't be a proper project. A few years back when I was in the engine shop, one of the new guys forgot to pull the stub shaft off the back of the transmission on a 3126 CAT. On a pre run, we would run them through their paces just to verify there were no major issues before servicing. The power pack was mounted to a build stand so it could be rolled around and run as well. Long story short, the tweaker started the pack, dropped it in gear and held the throttle wide upon as soon as the gear took hold. The drive shaft became a spinning mace of death to the entire rear portion of the pack. There was hydraulic oil dripping from the ceiling when we finally got it shut down. The transmission bell housing was cracked all the way around the bolt pattern into the case.

TJones
03-31-2023, 04:03 AM
JB you can create a video on YouTube then share the link on here of the Ole Girl running!!

jbrewington
03-31-2023, 10:29 PM
#mountainlifeoverlanding

Be sure to follow. See latest videos. Thanks.

TJones
04-01-2023, 10:30 AM
JB are they videos on YouTube??

jbrewington
04-02-2023, 08:31 PM
I haven’t had time to put youtube videos together. Eventually but not yet.

jbrewington
04-02-2023, 09:31 PM
Video

Willys Truck Facebook page

gmwillys
04-03-2023, 12:25 AM
I'll have to check out the video. The first video of the initial start up were good, so anything after that is bound to be great.

jbrewington
04-03-2023, 11:57 PM

This is the location I chose for for batteries. Spent a lot of time getting it worked out but I think it will work:-)

gmwillys
04-04-2023, 12:49 AM
Very well done. Neat and clean installation.

bmorgil
04-04-2023, 06:12 AM
Very easy to get to the batteries there jb. Do you have a cover for the Positives? I was thinking if something metallic dropped on those, it would create a show.

TJones
04-04-2023, 07:07 AM
WOW that is impressive jb, as gm said "very neat and clean installation"

That would be a show :):):) Bob

LarrBeard
04-04-2023, 07:28 AM
I'm a cable and wiring guy - neat job. You didn't scrimp on wire size, that will deliver a LOT of amps. Of course I wonder what you are going to put over them to keep wrenches off the terminals.....

jbrewington
04-04-2023, 07:53 AM
Very easy to get to the batteries there jb. Do you have a cover for the Positives? I was thinking if something metallic dropped on those, it would create a show.

Yes sir, on the cover. I have rubber post covers, 3/8" rubber mat that will be placed over batteries eventually with an aluminum semi-truck battery cover I will alter/fab into the setup.

Rear bumper install next.

Be safe out there.
JB

jbrewington
04-04-2023, 10:28 PM
I'm a cable and wiring guy - neat job. You didn't scrimp on wire size, that will deliver a LOT of amps. Of course I wonder what you are going to put over them to keep wrenches off the terminals.....

Yeah, wire is 1/0��. Two 590cca batteries parallel 1180 for total current. No hesitation in start.

jbrewington
04-06-2023, 09:08 PM

Still in the rhino liner business:-)

TJones
04-07-2023, 04:11 AM
WOW jb You never cease to Amaze Us!!!!
Looks pretty Flashy.

bmorgil
04-07-2023, 06:21 AM
jb and the many uses for Rhino Liner! Looks great. I am sure it will be very durable. The concept you have going gives the beast a subtle "Real Tough Truck" look.

jbrewington
05-17-2023, 08:03 AM

Well, been a while since I did a post/update on Willys progress. We have been cutting custom panels and hoping to lay some upholstery soon.

bmorgil
05-17-2023, 11:30 AM
Now upholstery work... that is a true art!

jbrewington
05-17-2023, 09:32 PM

Shifter knobs came in….

gmwillys
05-18-2023, 01:45 AM
I absolutely love the custom shifter knobs. On the hood wing ornament, did you use the Willys medallion that is offered here?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/hood-ornament-medallion-fits-46-49-truck-station-wagon/

Just curious since there is a size difference on the ornaments as far as the medallions used.

bmorgil
05-18-2023, 05:38 AM
Love the knobs jb! Whats the red button? Line brake, Nitrous Oxide perhaps?

LarrBeard
05-18-2023, 07:15 AM
Can't you tell - it's the firing teat for the 25mm cannon he has hidden in there. He didn't show us the GUNS - ROCKETS - BOMBS ordinance selector knob.

bmorgil
05-18-2023, 08:08 AM
That would be the true "Mad Max" Limousine!

jbrewington
05-18-2023, 11:39 AM
I absolutely love the custom shifter knobs. On the hood wing ornament, did you use the Willys medallion that is offered here?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/hood-ornament-medallion-fits-46-49-truck-station-wagon/

Just curious since there is a size difference on the ornaments as far as the medallions used.

Yes sir on medallion. Ordered from same site, for 1956 model(mine)

jbrewington
05-18-2023, 11:41 AM
Love the knobs jb! Whats the red button? Line brake, Nitrous Oxide perhaps?

Yes, red button will be wired to a brake solenoid(line lock) in the intrest to hold vehivle on a slope as clutch transitions. :-)

jbrewington
05-18-2023, 11:42 AM
Can't you tell - it's the firing teat for the 25mm cannon he has hidden in there. He didn't show us the GUNS - ROCKETS - BOMBS ordinance selector knob.

:cool: maybe??????

gmwillys
05-18-2023, 11:42 PM
In regards to LarrBeard's comment towards the 25mm cannon switch;

Just a little bit of worthless knowledge I can share. Military weapons systems are evolving with the times. We are going away from the aircraft style of joystick controllers with the gun selector and trigger, and are now using an Xbox video game controller to aid in the familiarity for the younger soldiers.

I like the line lock trigger button, and the location you have it. Well thought out in my opinion.

jbrewington
05-19-2023, 01:17 PM
In regards to LarrBeard's comment towards the 25mm cannon switch;

Just a little bit of worthless knowledge I can share. Military weapons systems are evolving with the times. We are going away from the aircraft style of joystick controllers with the gun selector and trigger, and are now using an Xbox video game controller to aid in the familiarity for the younger soldiers.

I like the line lock trigger button, and the location you have it. Well thought out in my opinion.

Thank you. Soon, we will try it out.

jbrewington
05-20-2023, 09:43 AM

Saturday sample…working on interior panels

bmorgil
05-21-2023, 06:01 AM
That is going to be a nice ride with all that insulation and padding inside.

gmwillys
05-24-2023, 12:24 AM
Looking good. You are about ready to roll out to the trails

jbrewington
05-25-2023, 08:49 PM

Baby steps….but a little more progress.

Still need to button it all up to make it look right…

bmorgil
05-26-2023, 05:59 AM
Nice jb! That is really a nice passenger area. That Monster is going to be the star of the show!

TJones
05-26-2023, 06:55 AM
Great Job JB!!!

gmwillys
05-27-2023, 11:49 PM
That interior looks perfect. Good job!

jbrewington
05-29-2023, 07:30 PM

Baby steps……. :)

gmwillys
05-30-2023, 12:18 AM
Those seats will be a whole lot more comfortable than the original seats, that's for sure. They look like they belong there. Great job!

bmorgil
05-30-2023, 05:50 AM
Wow that is really a nice looking interior. What a cruiser that thing is going to be! I cant wait to see the trailer....

TJones
05-30-2023, 06:03 AM
JB that Baby will be a SEMA contestant for sure when you getter finished up!!!!

LarrBeard
05-31-2023, 02:27 PM
It looks like a Gulfstream jet interior..... wow!

jbrewington
06-01-2023, 10:22 PM

So I had some things I didn’t like about the hydroboost so I tore it all out and got a new hydroboost/mastercylinder for different setup. Better, but, limited on space so this will have to do for now. All new high pressure hydraulic lines from pump to hydroboost and hydroboost to steering gear box( lines crimped and lines installed since this pic). And one thin wallet now.

Mocked up all the 4” tubing from snorkel to turbo. Just a mockup pic. Hope to seal this all up tomorrow.

gmwillys
06-02-2023, 02:19 AM
It's insane on how much hydraulic lines have gone up in price. Years ago, working in a dealership, I can remember most hoses were around $20 per, depending on the length, with simple JIC fittings.

bmorgil
06-02-2023, 05:53 AM
I love the way you are not intimidated by tearing it out and looking for improvement. A lot of persons would say "good enough". It is that drive to perfection that makes it such a great project. You cant get that effort back out. That's why it is worth more than money.

TJones
06-02-2023, 07:14 AM
:cool:talk about 10 lbs of Kick A** stuffed in a 3 lb bag, you surely did that jb!!!
Looks Awesome!!!

jbrewington
06-02-2023, 09:58 PM

Easier than pulling a transmission/transfer case and buying an adapter plate. Heli Coil for a win.

I knew this before pulling starter due to last time I put starter on, I felt threads give away. This time they are good and tight and marked/indexed bolts with a paint pen some I can see if they are loosening off.

Back to turbo plumbing…

gmwillys
06-02-2023, 10:32 PM
Heli Coils save the day again and again. Heli Coils and speedy sleeves are some of the greatest inventions in the modern era.

bmorgil
06-03-2023, 06:34 AM
Gotta love thread inserts of all types. I have repaired some lost causes with them. In the right circumstance, the type of insert you use can even save a cracked block.

jbrewington
06-05-2023, 08:01 PM

Seem to be running out of room in the engine bay

bmorgil
06-05-2023, 08:14 PM
I think you have it full jb. There's enough in there.

gmwillys
06-06-2023, 12:16 AM
It's a good thing that you are using good components in your build. If you had scrimped on quality items, the layering of the components would be a nightmare to work on. Since you have done your homework, and used good stuff, you will have years of trouble free operation. Compared to modern equipment, you can still see the top of the valve covers, so all is well.

jbrewington
06-06-2023, 06:29 AM
It's a good thing that you are using good components in your build. If you had scrimped on quality items, the layering of the components would be a nightmare to work on. Since you have done your homework, and used good stuff, you will have years of trouble free operation. Compared to modern equipment, you can still see the top of the valve covers, so all is well.

Thank you sir

jbrewington
06-10-2023, 01:38 PM

Some of it was pretty chrome. Some of it wasn’t :cool:

Sandblasting and Paint today.

jbrewington
06-24-2023, 12:19 PM

Cowl vent is installed

bmorgil
06-24-2023, 03:17 PM
Nice! I truly like the electric lift mechanism.

gmwillys
06-25-2023, 11:55 PM
I like the execution of the cowl lift. Fancy!

test1328
06-26-2023, 10:44 AM
Just a question: How was this vent actuated originally?

gmwillys
06-27-2023, 12:19 AM
The vent is actuated by a hand lever under the dash. The vent was opened by pushing the lever forward. The photo attached shows the manual mechanism, with the silver handle with the black rubber end being the lever.

test1328
06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the picture. I've never been around these Willys trucks much.

jbrewington
07-01-2023, 10:10 AM

Almost time to put these custom shifter knobs on…. :-)

bmorgil
07-01-2023, 11:21 AM
Never was a Willys with so many gear choices!

gmwillys
07-01-2023, 08:09 PM
I like the options of multiple gears. With all the torque and boost, he can probably start out in third with no issues.

jbrewington
07-01-2023, 09:02 PM
I like the options of multiple gears. With all the torque and boost, he can probably start out in third with no issues.

It might fall on its side and be done:-)

jbrewington
07-01-2023, 09:04 PM
Front and rear seats bolted in the Willys. Seat belts x5/3pt x4.

Days and days of time and work. Geeeeezzzzz…Those king ranch seats are heavy, awkward, and so difficult to mount. Beat me down.

bmorgil
07-02-2023, 06:03 AM
It does make you swear you are only going to do this once!

jbrewington
07-08-2023, 09:57 PM

Adding a few gauges

bmorgil
07-09-2023, 06:17 AM
Your going to need a few gauges to monitor that beast!

LarrBeard
07-09-2023, 06:33 AM
You're going to need a Flight Enginer to monitor everything.

gmwillys
07-10-2023, 12:19 AM
With all the systems to monitor, a good abundance of gages are great to have.

jbrewington
07-11-2023, 05:32 PM

Bedliner on bumpers and steps this week.

bmorgil
07-11-2023, 05:40 PM
It just keeps getting better!

gmwillys
07-12-2023, 12:34 AM
Looking good!

jbrewington
07-12-2023, 09:10 PM

I caught myself tip-toeing to look over glove box cover while trying to adjust the latch.

I may need to order a lowering kit?

gmwillys
07-12-2023, 11:49 PM
Nope. If you can't drive around something, you sure can drive over it.

bmorgil
07-13-2023, 06:37 AM
You are all set. The minimum clearance for overpasses on the USA interstate system is 16'.

LarrBeard
07-13-2023, 07:04 AM
Nope. The Missus and girls are going to need a folding stool anyway. You've worked too hard to get it that high -

jbrewington
07-13-2023, 08:26 AM

Rear bumper, tire carrier and tailgate installed.

I haven’t done shocks yet but will get it leveled once installed.

bmorgil
07-13-2023, 08:42 AM
I really like the way the back of the rear tires flushed out at the back of the rig. It makes it look like its running away!

TJones
07-14-2023, 05:18 AM
That is simply AMAZING jb, a real work of Art and the attention to detail is Fantastic!!!!!!

jbrewington
07-16-2023, 03:39 PM

Custom interior:cool:

bmorgil
07-16-2023, 05:44 PM
Looks great jb! Steady progress, it is getting very close.

gmwillys
07-17-2023, 12:25 AM
Custom and clean. Very good job!

jbrewington
07-19-2023, 09:10 PM
Well, tore all the interior panels out…again

gmwillys
07-20-2023, 12:03 AM
I assume something didn't satisfy your attention to detail, but you've come too far to compromise now.

bmorgil
07-20-2023, 11:51 AM
The ability to take it apart and put it back together without it falling apart, is what distinguishes the hand built from the production built.

jbrewington
07-22-2023, 06:35 AM

Trucker/Bus Fleet Shocks x4 on front is gonna stabilize that front differential? These Ozark Mountain river bottoms are rough on shocks. Seen several broken over the years. With this diesel and heavy transmission, thought why not:cool::cool::cool:

Rear dual spring coilovers with 7/8” shock stem coming here in a couple weeks.

Bigger is better? :-)

bmorgil
07-22-2023, 06:42 AM
There is no doubt the weight of those axles in a "rough country" will be hard to control. Heat will be the enemy. The shocks will definitely heat up in rapid stroking. Diameter is certainly your friend jb. The fattest shocks you can fit that's for sure!

jbrewington
07-22-2023, 07:31 AM
There is no doubt the weight of those axles in a "rough country" will be hard to control. Heat will be the enemy. The shocks will definitely heat up in rapid stroking. Diameter is certainly your friend jb. The fattest shocks you can fit that's for sure!

Agree. Thank you.

jbrewington
07-24-2023, 10:13 PM

I had these custom laser cut here where I live.

3/16 steel to spec(used calipers to measure everything out)

I will be making a drill template, drill, pin with bolts, tig

Online repops are cast(something). One set broke in mail. Second set broke before installation just from handling. Very brittle and only putting the caution out. These steal one’s should not break!

gmwillys
07-25-2023, 12:29 AM
Sweet emblems. The old pot metal originals are definately fragile, and are hard to source in one piece and not pitted beyond fixing.

bmorgil
07-25-2023, 06:07 AM
That is a really nice looking emblem. It looks right on the Monster.

jbrewington
07-25-2023, 04:18 PM

Picked up hood emblems

bmorgil
07-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Classy jb, downright classy.

jbrewington
07-26-2023, 08:09 AM

School bus shocks on the Willys. Two to each front corner.

gmwillys
07-27-2023, 12:10 AM
Seems very appropriate to me that the shocks for a bus would be the best option.

bmorgil
07-27-2023, 07:42 AM
Of course if you want to go to the next level, a set of King's would definitely get the job done.

https://www.kingshocks.com/products/options/custom/

jbrewington
07-27-2023, 09:47 AM
Of course if you want to go to the next level, a set of King's would definitely get the job done.

https://www.kingshocks.com/products/options/custom/

Hey I agree they make a good shock, just not interested in blue shocks. I do have some rear coilovers ordered for the rear, shipped yesterday. I hope to get these on next week.

jbrewington
07-29-2023, 09:54 PM

Still running wires…

bmorgil
07-30-2023, 06:14 AM
The look inside is so in contrast to the monster outside.

jbrewington
08-04-2023, 04:42 AM

Turns out I need heavier springs; sitting low in the rear.

Someday…. :-)

bmorgil
08-04-2023, 06:58 AM
Definitely might want to consider some "help" in the rear. If you put a few big boy's in the back seat your going to be on the stops. How about a set of automatic leveling air bags?

jbrewington
08-04-2023, 12:19 PM

I blowed sealed in two steering gear boxes; time to figure out why?

gmwillys
08-05-2023, 12:09 AM
Blockage on the return side of the gearbox? Input or output side of the gear box? Either way you have some terrible spike in pressure to cause the seal to fail that quickly, unless the pressure relief spring in the pump is way too stiff, and the return is crimped or kinked.

jbrewington
08-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Blockage on the return side of the gearbox? Input or output side of the gear box? Either way you have some terrible spike in pressure to cause the seal to fail that quickly, unless the pressure relief spring in the pump is way too stiff, and the return is crimped or kinked.

Yes, spiking pressure and need to see what it’s getting up to. I plan to remove spring in pump and make sure there isn’t any washers in there to increase pressure. If not, inline pressure relief valve. I could suggest its to reman’d gear boxes and the reason, but I doubt that since I’ve blown two. 3rd one is mounted and I’m going to approach this one as the problem isn’t the gear box.

* inline pressure off pump line
* verify pump spring
* inline relief valve

bmorgil
08-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Just got in from Jeep Fest. They had a set of tires there for jb's ride.

TJones
08-05-2023, 05:06 PM
WOW!!!!
If Senior Cheif was there it would have been………….:confused::rolleyes:

Over his head possibly :):)

jbrewington
08-05-2023, 09:27 PM
Just got in from Jeep Fest. They had a set of tires there for jb's ride.

That’s a tire

jbrewington
08-06-2023, 11:04 PM

I’m really happy with these custom hood emblems

gmwillys
08-07-2023, 12:14 AM
Yep, I like the extra beef of those emblems. The frosty bottle of Four Roses looks pretty darned good as well.

Bmorgil, That's a whole lot of rubber there. I'd hate to see what they want for a set of them.

LarrBeard
08-07-2023, 04:54 AM
"Over his head"

Was that a short person joke - you guys are as bad as my Junior shooters .....

bmorgil
08-07-2023, 06:08 AM
Hahahah! Those tires were definitely "over my head"!

Love those emblems jb. Man they are beefy. So much better than the powdered metal originals.

TJones
08-07-2023, 06:23 AM
NEVER Larry :cool::cool:

gmwillys
08-08-2023, 12:29 AM
Senior Chief, short? Not in personality, that's for sure.

jbrewington
08-09-2023, 04:32 PM

I had these made for the door panels. Thoughts?

51 CJ3
08-09-2023, 08:31 PM
I like it!

gmwillys
08-10-2023, 12:20 AM
I agree. The Willys Overlanding would be a great touch to the door panels.

bmorgil
08-10-2023, 06:24 AM
A little "tongue in cheek" humor their jb? Willys Overland finds a camp and becomes a landing.

LarrBeard
08-10-2023, 07:09 AM
Wow - another detail most of us would have never thought of ...

TJones
08-10-2023, 07:40 AM
You never cease to amaze us jb:):)
Looks Awesome!!!

jbrewington
09-14-2023, 09:56 PM

Close. Very Close, to putting this one on the road. Just need to tone down some hydraulic pressure in the steering and I’ll put it on the road for some drives to see what I can find wrong with it:-)

gmwillys
09-14-2023, 11:42 PM
The shakedown runs are the most rewarding and the most frustrating times of the project. The mighty wagon looks great sitting outside. We can't wait to see some epic overlanding footage.

bmorgil
09-15-2023, 06:13 AM
Is it out there under power jb? Looking awesome! Make sure we get some picks of it "Rollin'". There will be plenty of looks I am sure. Who is in the pursuit vehicle?

jbrewington
09-15-2023, 10:19 AM
Yes sir, haven’t drove it yet but moving it around under its own power.

TJones
09-16-2023, 04:49 AM
Hopefully you won’t need a “pursuit vehicle” jb, but it’ll have to be a dandy to tug that Beast back home:):)
Great Job, it looks Awesome!!!!

jbrewington
09-17-2023, 12:02 PM

Flow and pressure. Learning about hydraulics.

bmorgil
09-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Nice looking valve jb!

jbrewington
09-17-2023, 07:35 PM

Started a skid plate collection.

bmorgil
09-18-2023, 06:02 AM
OK jb I have to get you serious here. This thing is actually a brawler. It is built to do it for sure. It is however so clean, a show vehicle. Are you really going to scratch that thing in the dirt?

jbrewington
09-18-2023, 09:02 PM
OK jb I have to get you serious here. This thing is actually a brawler. It is built to do it for sure. It is however so clean, a show vehicle. Are you really going to scratch that thing in the dirt?

Ummm, yep!! And it shouldn’t be to long?? I just picked up the new transport device:-) :cool:

jbrewington
09-18-2023, 09:09 PM
26’ Lowboy

gmwillys
09-18-2023, 11:56 PM
OH NO! Not a trailer Queen!!! Just kidding. I trailer the 2A to the fun spots, because it takes too long to get there at 45mph. Nice trailer! I can't believe the prices they are going for. Our hauler will be 20 years old next year, and I had thought about converting over to an aluminum 20'. Nope. The old 18' steel will be good for another 20 years, especially after every 5 years it gets torn down and re-wired, new tires, and everything gets inspected.

bmorgil
09-19-2023, 06:03 AM
Gotta love the jb light shows! Perfect trailer. I will believe you when I see the pic of it standing in the mud.

Your trailer is perfect gm. That is really the way to go. There is no sense driving the little go-karts on the long drive, unless you just want to.

jbrewington
10-01-2023, 11:58 AM

Got its first trip out of the yard…

jbrewington
10-01-2023, 12:00 PM

TJones
10-01-2023, 04:26 PM
I Bet that Felt Good jb to get her out under its own power!!!!!

gmwillys
10-01-2023, 11:53 PM
That's more like it.

bmorgil
10-02-2023, 06:30 AM
Oh man.... Strechin' her legs jb!

56willys
10-03-2023, 07:48 PM
Man that thing looks INSANE! Great work JB. Although I feel sorry for any one in MG midgets you might pass on the road lol.

jbrewington
10-13-2023, 05:31 AM

1st trip away

bmorgil
10-13-2023, 05:41 AM
Awesome jb! Shes workin' now. That is one cool transport jb. You cant buy that.

LarrBeard
10-13-2023, 06:40 AM
That has to be like seeing the USS New Jersey pull in to port!

gmwillys
10-16-2023, 12:01 AM
Great to see you out in the wilderness.

jbrewington
12-06-2023, 10:18 PM

Time and Money

That’s what makes the world go round and round…

gmwillys
12-07-2023, 01:54 AM
Upgrading or did you have an issue??? besides not enough fuel?..

bmorgil
12-07-2023, 07:21 AM
What happened? Oh man jb, your deep inside already. One thing about injector pumps, no matter what they are in, they are Expensive!

56willys
12-07-2023, 11:45 AM
Upgrading or did you have an issue??? besides not enough fuel?..

Hopefully it means upgrade! You always need more horses.

gmwillys
12-08-2023, 01:20 AM
Regardless, it is very pretty now. I'm sure the governor springs have been upgraded for better performance.

jbrewington
12-08-2023, 06:45 AM
Pump I had wasn’t fueling the turbos; so had to do a swap. In order to swap the pump/front cover, it requires pulling rocker assemblies, tying up the lifters and oulling the cam-just because the cam gear is welded to the cam. Just time and money.

jbrewington
12-08-2023, 06:49 AM
I hope to turn some wrenches on it today. Had an exhaust leak at the manifold to head. Took the manifold and had it surfaced. 11013

jbrewington
12-08-2023, 06:52 AM
Just some upgrades and repairs.

I’ve had it on the highway but unable to get any fuel out of the pump I had on it/no boost/ wouldn’t spool the turbos up.

bmorgil
12-08-2023, 06:58 AM
What kind of lift pump do you have on it jb? Are you feeding that injector pump with fuel? I have seen similar issues with bigger boost. The injector pump definitely needs to have a steady pressurized supply.

It sure sounds like the issues are minimal on such a complex build. Nice jb, real nice!

jbrewington
12-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Yes, p7100 w/ mechanical lift and stage 1 injectors. Keeping it simple:-)

gmwillys
12-09-2023, 02:17 AM
Makes sense. Those turbos would definitely need some more fuel to feed the air flow. CAT cams are the same way. We had a couple of hundred 3126 engines that came through us that we had to pull the cams in order to re-seal the front covers. When we mounted the alternator and engine mounts, it would break the seal on the anaerobic sealer, and cause a nagging occasional drip.

jbrewington
01-25-2024, 07:40 AM

Redesign to hydraulics

Be back up and running shortly

bmorgil
01-25-2024, 07:48 AM
Looking fancy there jb!

How is that Monster running? How much time is on it now? Have you gotten it real dirty? I am dying to know how hard it pulls. Let us know how she feels!

jbrewington
01-27-2024, 11:45 AM

I put a new pump on then got the flu/virus; 3 times back-to-back. So it’s been sitting in the cold. Got started on throttle linkage.

bmorgil
01-27-2024, 01:16 PM
Man jb, 3 times back to back, that will leave you weakened!

The beast looks good up close jb.

jbrewington
02-03-2024, 12:39 PM

Hydraulics Hydraulics Hydraulics

51 CJ3
02-03-2024, 06:48 PM
Sounds like me last winter. I must have been sick half a dozen or more times. Last winter was the first time I had skipped the flu shot in probably 30 years. I didn’t have a choice in the military and I let the VA keep giving it. The VA didn’t want to give me the shot last winter because I was sick at my annual visit. I should have gone back or gone to a pharmacy somewhere.

gmwillys
02-04-2024, 01:31 AM
That no fun being sick. Hope the rest of your spring goes better.