PDA

View Full Version : Is That A Willys Wagon?? 1956 Willys Project

Pages : [1] 2 3

jbrewington
10-16-2021, 06:47 AM
Starting a post to share a project I just started. Never shared my projects online but was encouraged to do so by some friends due to extent of modifications planned. This project intended for trail riding here in the Ozarks/street legal.

Body just placed on Dodge 3/4ton chassis this week. Plan is to squeeze a 4bt compound turbo/NV5600 6spd manual/271D transfer case in it. Hope to have 4bt running here in a few weeks and will try to set all this in the frame; gonna make for a short drive shaft due to length of motor/trans/case and then short wheel base designed Willys body(looking at moving rear fender opening back about 12" to help with driveline-more work:rolleyes:).

Stay tuned for all the craziness..... hopefully ordering all the parts to put in a double triangulated enduro joint rear suspension/coil-overs today.

Here are some pics to start the post....

jbrewington
10-16-2021, 06:52 AM
Here are some pics of Willys body moved over to ton chassis.

bmorgil
10-16-2021, 07:15 AM
Looking very good jb! I like the 4BT idea. My son recently slipped one with compound turbos into a 4 door Square Body GMC. A lot of torque there. I cant wait to watch it grow!

jbrewington
10-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Looking very good jb! I like the 4BT idea. My son recently slipped one with compound turbos into a 4 door Square Body GMC. A lot of torque there. I cant wait to watch it grow!

thank you my friend

jbrewington
10-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Grunt work today.

Got a few hours in on the Willys project. Cut ton chassis body mounts/clean-up with grinder....

TJones
10-18-2021, 04:23 AM
Looks like a fun project there jb, can’t wait to see the finished product!!!!

gmwillys
10-18-2021, 06:54 AM
Great plan of attack JB. The 4BT will be a great engine for your build! Your suspension upgrades will give you all the articulation that you could possibly need. As Bmorgil and TJ said, I'm looking forward to watching your project come together!

jbrewington
10-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Any thoughts on moving the rear fender opening back about a foot? :rolleyes:

What you guys think?

gmwillys
10-23-2021, 09:05 PM
I don't think I've seen one done to that extent, but I give it a thumbs up. The wagon would ride nicer with the lengthened wheel base. Then you could put a wider rear seat in if you choose to.

TJones
10-24-2021, 04:59 AM
Any thoughts on moving the rear fender opening back about a foot? :rolleyes:

What you guys think?

Love it Jb!!!!
Looks like you have the right shop,tools and ability to do just about anything you want to do.
Keep us posted, looks Great!

bmorgil
10-24-2021, 06:19 AM
Why not! Looks like a CJ with the wheels close to the front and the rear. Like gm said, it will get the most of the wheel base that's for sure. I think it is going to be one of a kind. Some fun work going on in that shop!

jbrewington
10-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Why not! Looks like a CJ with the wheels close to the front and the rear. Like gm said, it will get the most of the wheel base that's for sure. I think it is going to be one of a kind. Some fun work going on in that shop!

Thank you sir. Yes, looking to extend wheelbase for in and out of bad spots; little more comfortable for uphill rides with rear axle at the back? Having fun with it... :D

jbrewington
10-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Love it Jb!!!!
Looks like you have the right shop,tools and ability to do just about anything you want to do.
Keep us posted, looks Great!

Tools and shop; not sure on that "ability" thing? :D Still looking for that guy who said it would be 'easy'. :D

I am blessed. We have some really great times out there in the shop.

jbrewington
10-24-2021, 07:42 AM
I don't think I've seen one done to that extent, but I give it a thumbs up. The wagon would ride nicer with the lengthened wheel base. Then you could put a wider rear seat in if you choose to.

Hey GM, we could always cut it up for scrap if we dont like it?? :D

Maybe it will work out. May need you to come over and educate me on some of this Seen you have a project going. You need to come get this chassis I have. Nothing wrong with it, just not my flavor. Running Super Hurricane motor:cool:

gmwillys
10-25-2021, 05:46 AM
I'm certain it will work out just fine, and will be an awesome rig. I have one Heep that is as close to original as one gets, but then my wagon has been V8 converted. I like them both for their own attributes, but the wagon could stand to have a lot of improvements in drivability and handling. You'll be solving most of the quirks with your Dodge chassis, but I'm stubborn... in other words cheap. Actually, my chassis is really good all the way until through until you get to the rear frame horns. At that point they are rust pitted, and could stand a sectioning/boxing to bring back the strength, and mounting a frame mounted hitch.

I am interested in your chassis, but I have a few irons in the fire at the moment and am booked up through till February, that is unless there is a crappy weather weekend here that I can't work on my shop addition. I would surely be glad to ride out your way and see your operation, (drool at your workshop).

jbrewington
10-25-2021, 08:05 PM
I'm certain it will work out just fine, and will be an awesome rig. I have one Heep that is as close to original as one gets, but then my wagon has been V8 converted. I like them both for their own attributes, but the wagon could stand to have a lot of improvements in drivability and handling. You'll be solving most of the quirks with your Dodge chassis, but I'm stubborn... in other words cheap. Actually, my chassis is really good all the way until through until you get to the rear frame horns. At that point they are rust pitted, and could stand a sectioning/boxing to bring back the strength, and mounting a frame mounted hitch.

I am interested in your chassis, but I have a few irons in the fire at the moment and am booked up through till February, that is unless there is a crappy weather weekend here that I can't work on my shop addition. I would surely be glad to ride out your way and see your operation, (drool at your workshop).

Well come on :-)

Most always out in the shop doing something. Latest on Willys is the rear fenders are missing :cool: Seem the Plas Cutter make short work on chopping this rig up :-) As of tonight, shop closed for next week or so. Out of town with work a few days then come back and load up for a weekend in the RV with family and friends. But, I will get back on it soon as I can. Hope to have this thing on the road middle next year if all possible(tall order i guess)

I would like to see someone pick up that original chassis. I'm sure it usable, steering tight. Motor cranks up(I wired it to start and run after pulling the body off frame).

Alabama is just down the road.:D

jbrewington
10-28-2021, 09:52 PM
I guess there's no turning back now ...

Might be a few weeks or so before I get this straigtened out?!?!

gmwillys
10-29-2021, 05:40 AM
Looks like a good start with the layout and cutting. I think it will look pretty good when you are done.

bmorgil
10-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Looking like a project on its way now. The first cut so to speak!

jbrewington
11-13-2021, 06:04 PM
Time for an update....

Powerplant is running. Transmission and trans case degreased.8855

Is there a way to upload a short video with this website?

jbrewington
11-13-2021, 06:27 PM
While I wait/try to find out how to upload a video of the little 4BT running, here are a couple photos on paint color I'm looking at. Thoughts?

bmorgil
11-14-2021, 07:22 AM
jb you cant do a video here. Some have set up a link to a video server like YouTube. Loving the pictures on this. Keep them coming! Especially the close up shots of what your doing. A lot of people will be interested in how you pull this off!

That's a nice trans/transfer case combo. I always find someone who seems to understand color to ask about color! In the end I think its what you like, to heck with the rest! That thing is going to look cool with any color scheme. Maybe stay away from pink.

jbrewington
11-16-2021, 08:12 PM

:)serious:)

gmwillys
11-17-2021, 07:28 AM
That is great! That may be me when I go to have Bmorgil fine tune a LX 6.0 for my wagon project.

bmorgil
11-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Uh oh, jb's project is giving gm the bug to build something!

gmwillys
11-17-2021, 02:38 PM
The bug is always there, just not the time....

jbrewington
11-18-2021, 08:55 PM
The bug is always there, just not the time....

Just stop everything your doing; you'll have time :cool:

jbrewington
11-18-2021, 08:58 PM
Getting things ready to assemble...

bmorgil
11-19-2021, 07:01 AM
Nice! Looking clean man. I like the clutch. Is that a ceramic disc?

gmwillys
11-19-2021, 04:23 PM
Great clutch choice, and the reman transmission will work out good as well. Nice to start out with good parts.

It sounds easy to drop everything else and pick up on the wagon build again. I really only have one outside customer pending project that is better than halfway done, so that's progress. As soon as I get that out of the way, then it's time to lay block for the fabrication room of the garage-ma-hall. Then when that gets dried in, then parts for the wagon can get laid out to for installation.

jbrewington
11-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Nice! Looking clean man. I like the clutch. Is that a ceramic disc?

yes. hope it holds up:rolleyes:

jbrewington
11-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Great clutch choice, and the reman transmission will work out good as well. Nice to start out with good parts.

It sounds easy to drop everything else and pick up on the wagon build again. I really only have one outside customer pending project that is better than halfway done, so that's progress. As soon as I get that out of the way, then it's time to lay block for the fabrication room of the garage-ma-hall. Then when that gets dried in, then parts for the wagon can get laid out to for installation.

Since you are open to 'outside customers:-)', get the Garage-ma-hall done, and I will send this up for you to finish!! No problem....

Actually, I'm fortunate enough to be off all next week, so hope to get some time to work on this "whateveryouwanttocallit". Been ordering parts for weeks so now I have plenty different areas on this to offer attention.

LarrBeard
11-19-2021, 08:40 PM
Asking a bunch of guys about paint isn't a great idea; ask your wife, daughter of girlfriend...

But, TJones would like that color - it's close to "The Orange Crate", but a bit more subdued.

jbrewington
11-26-2021, 07:51 PM

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Lots to be thankful for on my behalf. Even got a little more time to work on my project this week.

Still waiting on turbos but was able to get the new clutch installed/trans mounted, put new seal kit in transfer case, then was able to get it all matched up. That was a job.

Next up, see if it will fit in the Willy?? :-):cool: If it will not, everything is for sale!! :cool:

TJones
11-27-2021, 06:18 AM
Did I hear “For Sale” ???:):)

And yes Larry I Love the Color!!!

LarrBeard
11-27-2021, 07:10 AM
That is one freeakin' gnarly power plant!

bmorgil
11-27-2021, 09:05 AM
I am pretty sure you already know it's going to fit!

gmwillys
11-27-2021, 10:45 PM
I'm sure he has it all figured out as far fitment. It's fun to watch this all come together.

I wish I could get ahold of a couple of the CAT 3126Es that we are in the process of demilitarizing. Some are low hours or have been overhauled. It's a damned shame, but factory support has dried up, so everything is being converted to the next generation. Just keep paying our taxes, and everything will be alright.

bmorgil
11-28-2021, 07:16 AM
This is a great build for sure!

Man you hate to see good diesel motors go to waste. They cost a lot and run forever if you keep them going. Modern turbo power like this bad boy changes everything in the way they run.

TJones
11-28-2021, 09:02 AM
Boy JB you are giving me the bug now:confused::cool::rolleyes:

Cant wait to see the finished product:)

jbrewington
11-28-2021, 02:04 PM

Decision whether to sale this whole project will not take long now....:cool:

Added a couple more pics to this original update; 'hanging in there'. That transfer case, up against driver side frame rail:cool: But I believe it is all going to be a 'Go' on installation. No longer for sale:-) Next up is mounting it to the chassis.

TJones
11-29-2021, 07:38 AM
Here you go JB :):)

gmwillys
11-29-2021, 11:26 AM
I think we need to keep leaning on TJ until he gets himself a wagon or a truck to go along with the Orange Crate... I can only imagine what plant he would use in a longer wheelbase vehicle. His Crate is wicked as it is with the V6, but a little more room within the larger chassis would leave an endless array of possibilities. For some reason I have images of a build that would rival the Little Red Wagon or the HEMI under Glass Wheel standers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Little_Red_Wagon
https://www.hemiunderglass.com/

bmorgil
11-29-2021, 12:08 PM
I think TJ wants jb's now! That big Cummins fits like a glove.

TJones
11-29-2021, 12:51 PM
I think we need to keep leaning on TJ until he gets himself a wagon or a truck to go along with the Orange Crate... I can only imagine what plant he would use in a longer wheelbase vehicle. His Crate is wicked as it is with the V6, but a little more room within the larger chassis would leave an endless array of possibilities. For some reason I have images of a build that would rival the Little Red Wagon or the HEMI under Glass Wheel standers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Little_Red_Wagon
https://www.hemiunderglass.com/

You guys have me thinking now, What's Next :confused::confused::rolleyes:

TJones
11-29-2021, 12:53 PM
Yes it does Bob, fit like a glove that is :):)

TJones
11-29-2021, 12:58 PM
I have my eye on a 37 Ford Pickup Street Rod a guy has, it is the same guy I got the Orange Crush from. His wife called me the other day and asked if I was interested in it, I will post some pictures of it when she sends them over:):)
JB you are doing a Fine Job on yours that is a Fact!!!!

gmwillys
11-29-2021, 07:20 PM
TJ, sorry I kept referring to Orange Crush as Crate... Blonde moment I suppose.

A '37 Ford pickup.....cool for sure! Flat head V8 with a blower would be even cooler! What plant does it have currently?
JB's 4BT Cummins will be a torque monster for sure! This build is going to be great! The extended wheel base will make the wagon ride like a dream.

bmorgil
11-29-2021, 07:54 PM
Ahh the Orange Crate... a late 1960's era Schwinn bicycle.

TJones
11-30-2021, 07:06 AM
Ahh the Orange Crate... a late 1960's era Schwinn bicycle.

With training wheels:):)

gmwillys
11-30-2021, 07:41 AM
I had a ragged out, pass me down Sting Ray, but loved my uncles Yellow Peeler Krate.

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/blogs/schwinn-insider/the-history-of-the-schwinn-sting-ray-and-krates

jbrewington
11-30-2021, 10:11 AM
Here you go JB :):)

Someone has an expensive Vortec:cool:

TJones
11-30-2021, 11:12 AM
After looking at your shop and how meticulous you are JB I am sure yours will be just as nice as that one, you need to remember too that this is on "Bring a Trailer" and there are people from all over the world "with stupid, crazy money" bidding on these things so it doesn't really mean they are worth what they sell for :):):)

Like I said yours will be just as Sweet with a whopper of a engine in the business end of it!!!
Keep us posted as you progress, can't wait to see her fire up:)

jbrewington
11-30-2021, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=TJones;18324]After looking at your shop and how meticulous you are JB I am sure yours will be just as nice as that one, you need to remember too that this is on "Bring a Trailer" and there are people from all over the world "with stupid, crazy money" bidding on these things so it doesn't really mean they are worth what they sell for

Like I said yours will be just as Sweet with a whopper of a engine in the business end of it!!!
Keep us posted as you progress, can't wait to see her fire up

Oh, I've had it running:) It's just that this website will not let me upload a video clip. But thats ok. And thank you for the kind words. Also, I like 'crazy money' too. We may have to get some of that:cool:

jbrewington
11-30-2021, 11:10 PM

I worked on motor mounts yesterday, but the guys at work say they may not hold unless I thicken the cardboard:cool:

TJones
12-01-2021, 06:04 AM
They are probably right JB:):)

I posted a video on you tube of the Orange Crate after it was running JB and then copied the link and pasted the link on this site, it’s pretty simple!!

bmorgil
12-01-2021, 07:01 AM

I worked on motor mounts yesterday, but the guys at work say they may not hold unless I thicken the cardboard:cool:

Hahaha! Man that part looks familiar. The templates are key man. Nice work man!

gmwillys
12-01-2021, 07:51 AM
CAD, (Cardboard Aided Design) are the bones of a good design. Four pieces Elmer's glued together is good for 100 HP, but only 25 Lbs. of torque. Might need six pieces glued together would fare better.

jbrewington
12-01-2021, 09:26 AM
CAD, (Cardboard Aided Design) are the bones of a good design. Four pieces Elmer's glued together is good for 100 HP, but only 25 Lbs. of torque. Might need six pieces glued together would fare better.

Love it. have to steal that line:-)

gmwillys
12-01-2021, 07:39 PM
No stealing needed, use away! I borrowed it from Marcus from Australia, and his Grand Willy's project. Now there is a master craftsman metal worker.

jbrewington
12-07-2021, 06:29 PM

Things are SLOW

Wife asked clean the yard. Wife asked put out Christmas decor. Working extra shifts due to short on staff.

Happy wife/Happy life :cool:

About to get back on it though. This pic is where I am waiting further fab work until rear differential set in place; place shock towers and new inside fenders. The grunt work begins....

If nothing comes up, have the whole day tomorrow to cut out some motor mounts

gmwillys
12-07-2021, 07:20 PM
I wish my tailgate and rear floor was that clean!

Good luck on getting your shop day! Can't wait to see what you get done.

bmorgil
12-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Slow and steady is the way to go!

jbrewington
12-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Slow and steady is the way to go!

Good with the SLOW part:cool:

jbrewington
12-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Is the Plasma Cutter not the real deal when it comes to shop tools?

51 CJ3
12-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Looks like good work. I know I would like to own a plasma cutter.

bmorgil
12-09-2021, 10:31 AM
I agree, nothing like a plasma cutter. It sure beats Oxyacetylene.

jbrewington
12-09-2021, 10:46 AM
Looks like good work. I know I would like to own a plasma cutter.

They are super super handy with fab work.

And thank you. Trying to get me some motor mounts cutout for this rig.

LarrBeard
12-09-2021, 11:54 AM
That is so slick it's almost cheating!

Slow is smooth

Smooth is fast

Therefore - taking it slow is the fastest way to get it done right the first time ....

gmwillys
12-09-2021, 01:45 PM
Great looking motor mounts! They'll hold up nicely!

I've been eyeballing some plasma cutters for the garage-ma-hall.... and a well used ironworker sheer/punch press. I just don't know if I want to spend the kind of cash on a really good one. The last shop I worked we invested in a ESAB, and it would leave a perfect edge, (if I would use a piece of angle iron as a guide). Very little dressing needed by the grinder, just to round off the edges for being hand friendly.

jbrewington
12-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Great looking motor mounts! They'll hold up nicely!

I've been eyeballing some plasma cutters for the garage-ma-hall.... and a well used ironworker sheer/punch press. I just don't know if I want to spend the kind of cash on a really good one. The last shop I worked we invested in a ESAB, and it would leave a perfect edge, (if I would use a piece of angle iron as a guide). Very little dressing needed by the grinder, just to round off the edges for being hand friendly.

I would suggest a long-time brand if planning to keep it. I purchased the Hypertherm 65 from my local welding supply store and have been very pleased with performance; but this month they will no longer manufacture this unit per website. What does that mean, not sure. It says the will continue to supply consumables. Maybe it is just the model # being discontinued? Guess time will tell.

My miller tig and mig units haven't given me one issue(6 years now). I guess in some cases you get what you pay for. Buy once and be happy with it.

jbrewington
12-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Finally got a little time to visit the Willys. With work, day at the vet, Wife graduating with her Masters, and then tornado's; been interesting around here.

But, hope to get back on this project. If I'm lucky, I may even try to relocate the rear differential later this week:cool:

Here are some pics where I was trying to lay down some wire. Self taught, so I do NOT claim to be a welder:D. And, I'm not a contortionist, but feel like it sometimes while trying to place a weld.

TJones
12-14-2021, 06:09 AM
JB your welding looks pretty darn good!!!
Self taught is the best teaching method anyways, nothing a little die grinder can’t fix up to make it look like a factory weld!

bmorgil
12-14-2021, 06:21 AM
Looks great jb! Glad you dodged the tornado's.

Did the vet say you were healthy? Haha, I cant wait to see this thing finished.

LarrBeard
12-14-2021, 08:04 AM
You don't need to apologize for any of those welds. Smooth surface and good penetration.

jbrewington
12-15-2021, 07:33 AM
Looks great jb! Glad you dodged the tornado's.

Did the vet say you were healthy? Haha, I cant wait to see this thing finished.

Vet said ease up on dog treats and gave me a new round of heart worm pills.:D:D:D

bmorgil
12-15-2021, 01:14 PM
Same thing they say to all the old dogs!

jbrewington
12-19-2021, 08:34 PM

Transnission crossmember was a bear to get set up>>>>but the 4BT has anew home

LarrBeard
12-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Well, I would say that the 4BT should sit very nicely in its new home. The welds and the whole fabrication job look very good. I'm impressed by you guys who make metal do your bidding.

gmwillys
12-19-2021, 10:37 PM
Can't ask for any better welds than that. Well done!

TJones
12-20-2021, 05:30 AM
I’m with these guys JB!!!
Job well done, this is surely not your first rodeo or fab project:):)
You should of seen the disaster welding project I got into yesterday when the 160 lb Rottie decided she wanted to go outside to get a piece of the Amazon delivery guys fanny and knocked over our 10’ tall Christmas tree and destroyed the tree stand.
Needless to say the Bride had a meltdown and Dad had to take the stand out to the Garage-Ma-Hall and weld it up, which was like trying to glue a couple of pieces of cardboard together:(
Thank God for tree skirts around the bottom:)

bmorgil
12-20-2021, 07:09 AM
Definitely has that "Lab Prototype" look! That should hold on to it jb.

jbrewington
12-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Well, I would say that the 4BT should sit very nicely in its new home. The welds and the whole fabrication job look very good. I'm impressed by you guys who make metal do your bidding.

Thank you sir!!

jbrewington
12-20-2021, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=TJones;18479]I’m with these guys JB!!!
Job well done, this is surely not your first rodeo or fab project
You should of seen the disaster welding project I got into yesterday when the 160 lb Rottie decided she wanted to go outside to get a piece of the Amazon delivery guys fanny and knocked over our 10’ tall Christmas tree and destroyed the tree stand.
Needless to say the Bride had a meltdown and Dad had to take the stand out to the Garage-Ma-Hall and weld it up, which was like trying to glue a couple of pieces of cardboard together
Thank God for tree skirts around the bottom

Hope all is well with the mail man, christmas tree, and your sweety. Sounds like a busy moment:D

You're correct, not my first run at something, but don't claim to know it all for sure. As my first comment, I have been encouraged to share this build online by my friends and family because they seen how I like to do things. I have built my own prostreet '64 Fairlane and then built my dad a '51 Ford F1 hotrod. On the '51, I pulled the body off a 2000 model Explored and fabricated the 51 body to the chassis. Then, I may have :rolleyes: put a BBF, ZF 5spd, 4.10 gear setup in it :rolleyes: 3 1/2" exhaust with electric cutouts going to 5 1/2" 'megaphones' for fun. Interstate driving is a hoot; hitting the on-ramps and running it through the gears.

So yeah, I enjoy this stuff :D I'm blessed to have a place at home and a little time to enjoy this.

jbrewington
12-20-2021, 05:22 PM
Definitely has that "Lab Prototype" look! That should hold on to it jb.

Thank you my friend. Holding up nicely....:cool:

LarrBeard
12-20-2021, 06:35 PM
You are movin' right along. That power plant looks like it could twist the frame if you got on it too enthusiastically!

LarrBeard
12-20-2021, 06:37 PM
"Dad had to take the stand out to the Garage-Ma-Hall and weld it up,"

"See Dear - that's why I need a shop and a welder...".

jbrewington
12-20-2021, 07:54 PM
You are movin' right along. That power plant looks like it could twist the frame if you got on it too enthusiastically!

Willy's body on Dodge 2500 chassis. Little 4bt with 6spd manual. Hope it doesn't twist "anything"; my purpose to the build.

jbrewington
12-20-2021, 08:00 PM
"Somebody" picked up a nice set of King Ranch seats for the Willy's. Nice brown pair of bucket seats for front; bench seat for rear.

Stay tuned for that....

But next phase of the build, Double Triangle Rear Suspension.

gmwillys
12-20-2021, 10:17 PM
Sweet '64 Fairlane pro street. I have a '65 crew cab 500 waiting patiently for me to get back under it to pull the tranny for a tooth less flex plate before the engine decides to stick again.. The '51 is a great build too! I bet it rides nice with the exploder chassis.

The rear suspension will be sweet and stout with the size of those hymes joints.

bmorgil
12-21-2021, 06:35 AM
jb you are the definition of a "Hot Rodder"! Some fantastic projects there jb! Your dad must be truly happy with what you do. What a great time you have with the steel and fuel.

I am glad your friends talked you into posting. Your project might be what it takes to get someone else going. It is always positive to be able to see what someone was kind enough to share. You are teaching many more than you will know. The secret to evolution, teach the rest if you have an expertise.

jbrewington
12-22-2021, 11:08 PM
Well ran into a little ‘part’ mishap on the 4 link. Big shout-out to Barnes 4WD customer service. Now we wait. ��

While I wait, did a little side view mirror work on the Willy’s. Put drivers seat in and got a feel for everything; held new steering column in place for a decision on mounts needed. Then worked on my XJ all afternoon. Trail ride coming up Jan 1st, so fixed the flat, changed the oil, replaced broke shock��, fixed power steering leak, few other things�� JEEP!!!��

bmorgil
12-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Attention to detail jb. I love that seat. Have fun in the dirt!

jbrewington
12-26-2021, 08:50 PM
If you like American History...

With Christmas, travel and time with family, the Willys is waiting on ME.

Out in the garage this evening and seen the old Pinkerton's sticker on the side glass again. Took a pic to share. With that, I proceeded to look this up on the internet. Heard of Carnegie(Andrew Carnegie Steel late 1800’s), seen any shows of Pinkerton family, seen Securitas around where you live?(security personnel at hospitals, malls, etc), Diebold Security?

Granted this is just a decal on an old Willys, but it ties back to the Pinkerton family in mid 1800’s to current time company Securitas Security(Sweden firm started in 1934). Only an observation while sitting around...

Thought I would share what I was seeing/found regards to the window decal.

https://www.grunge.com/316708/the-untold-truth-of-the-pinkerton-national-detective-agency/

bmorgil
12-27-2021, 07:26 AM
Cool stuff jb!

jbrewington
12-28-2021, 09:29 PM

Ever change these out to soon����?

bmorgil
12-29-2021, 06:46 AM
I think it might be time for a new one! It is however a nice 2"!

LarrBeard
12-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Naw - we never change anything until it's just too late, we run most tools 'til death;

Here's what happened to Ira Jones when a grinder got away from him:

gmwillys
12-29-2021, 05:01 PM
I thought I was the only one Scotch enough to run a wheel to the hub. I even save the nubs for special circumstances where I need the head room.

jbrewington
12-29-2021, 05:58 PM

Wore a grinding wheel down on this but that plas-cutter make short work getting the spring and shock perches out of the way. Plas/grind/sand, then will sandblast; some day...

Time to put a few welds down on the truss

jbrewington
12-29-2021, 06:08 PM
Naw - we never change anything until it's just too late, we run most tools 'til death;

Ouch!! Not good.

LarrBeard
12-29-2021, 09:02 PM
Very impressive truss work there.

jbrewington
12-29-2021, 10:07 PM
Very impressive truss work there.

Thank you sir

TJones
12-30-2021, 05:13 AM

I remember him showing us that little mishap, the ones I’m deathly afraid of are the Harbor Freight 4.5” cut off wheels that decide to come apart at 10-12,000 RPM’s :(:(

bmorgil
12-30-2021, 07:28 AM
Very good point TJ! The most damaging/dangerous event with a high speed grinder. The wheel disintegrating at speed. That can happen when you run them to the nub, or they are cheap. Protect yourself at all times!

jbrewington
12-31-2021, 09:08 PM
Very good point TJ! The most damaging/dangerous event with a high speed grinder. The wheel disintegrating at speed. That can happen when you run them to the nub, or they are cheap. Protect yourself at all times!

Totally agree with you guys. Buy consumables designed for a said tool. I prefer the name brand consumables to same brand tools. I have seen some really bad accidents over the years. I’m a fan of Harbor Freight, but not the grinding wheels. Never used them, so can’t say to much, but the stories are out there about them coming apart.

Safety First!!!

(Sneak peek of the unfabricated 4 link crossmember:rolleyes:)
(18 wheeler truck frame:cool:)

bmorgil
01-01-2022, 08:08 AM
I love this project of yours jb!

jbrewington
01-01-2022, 01:19 PM
I feel to fat to crawl around on the floor to do this, when I have access to a 2post��

Took needed measurements at the floor and going to 4link this in the air��

Squared up, level, and pinion angle set.

Don't be to distracted with chains. My measure of safety so nothing gets away from me. :cool:

TJones
01-02-2022, 07:05 AM
Looks pretty Good JB!!!
Sometimes you got to do what you have to do and use what you have to work with :):):)
The truck frame should do the job as far as being stout enough for your 4 link system!!!

jbrewington
01-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Something out of nothing/nothing out of something?

Here we go..... It’s a lot of detail to get this worked out, but, mathematically, it’s time to materialize this stuff. Good, bad or indifferent, i will share the results.

Stay tuned��

bmorgil
01-04-2022, 05:47 AM
A class act you are jb! I think you are documenting the value in this creation. Definitely not thrown together in the garage.

LarrBeard
01-04-2022, 08:31 AM
That bracket/mount is more like a sculpture than a mere chunk of metal. The local art museum has a pile of scrap iron that is considered to be an objet d'art - I suggested that it would be a good place to hang an engine hoist or field dress a deer ... but I was dismissed as a Neanderthal who does not appreciate art.

51 CJ3
01-04-2022, 08:56 AM
There is a lot of good steel in that “sculpture”. Enough to frame up an expansion for my shop!

Nice work on the Jeep. I wouldn’t know where or even how to start a project like that.

LarrBeard
01-04-2022, 11:15 AM
Several years ago a drunk driver ran up in the Art Museum park and "damaged" the sculpture.

It was taken down and was under repair for some time (maybe a year?) and it took over a $100K, if I remember correctly, to fix the damage. I thought a can of Rustoleum primer and a can of orange srpay paint would have done the job a lot easier and quicker.

One of the local steel fabricators has a much nicer sculpture - it shows about 20 or so different joining techniques and I can appreciate that kind of artwork.

But, then, I am an unappreciative Neanderthal.....

LarrBeard
01-04-2022, 06:57 PM
Here's what a real metal sculpture looks like ...

bmorgil
01-05-2022, 06:22 AM
Now that looks cool.... from a totally "neanderthalic" point of view!

jbrewington
01-07-2022, 03:42 PM

Double Triangulated 4 link suspension; this is the 'elephant in the room'

Lower links mocked in....

gmwillys
01-07-2022, 11:57 PM
Sweet set up!

bmorgil
01-08-2022, 06:16 AM
Some super nice fabrication jb! You have "skills" to say the least.

jbrewington
01-08-2022, 09:49 PM
I got in trouble again today for not sharing more detail.

Seems there is plenty of info on ‘how to use a 4 link calculator’; and remains complicated at minimum. Plenty of videos showing complete projects; very few ‘double’ triangulated. And hardly any info, if any at all, on a step-by-step process for getting this type of suspension in place. And to be honest, to much to address here in a post, but considering a separate post or voice-over/video if there is an interest in knowing.

Today’s menu:cool:, finished the mock-up. Time to tear it down, disassemble the enduro joints, and get to welding all the bungs to tubing.

TJones
01-09-2022, 06:01 AM
VERY NICE there JB !!!!

jbrewington
01-09-2022, 11:00 AM

Got a little prep work done before church this morning...

bmorgil
01-09-2022, 11:53 AM
Those are some nice looking ends jb. Should be darn strong.

gmwillys
01-09-2022, 01:52 PM
Those ends are strong, that's for sure. The articulation without binding will be tremendous!

LarrBeard
01-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Did you use PVC for the mockup?

jbrewington
01-09-2022, 07:54 PM
Did you use PVC for the mockup?

Yes, I did use PVC for mockup. It has its limitations in cycling the suspension(meaning not useful because pinion side of differential couterweights; it will all swarm apart on you). What is is useful for, is a visual where everthing connects, seeing driveline placement/clearance, and should you see the need for adjustment, save you a few hundred dollars in rebuying DOM tubing. Getting a visual on the setup is the benefit.

I didn't work on it today but hope to get several hours welding in tomorrow. Measurements for steering components/order a few parts.

jbrewington
01-09-2022, 07:59 PM
Those ends are strong, that's for sure. The articulation without binding will be tremendous!

1 1/4" Enduro joints

1 1/4" for strength:cool:
Enduro joint for funtional grease inserts/cuts down on sqeaking suspension from crossing rivers/dust/mud/salt on roads; helps against wear.

gmwillys
01-09-2022, 08:30 PM
11/4" Enduro joints aren't overkill, and the grease able aspect is good for the longevity/peacefulness of the suspension. The PCV pipe for the layout is a great plan! A cheap way to get everything placed and measurements made before cutting the first stick of pipe.

LarrBeard
01-10-2022, 11:49 AM
We're learning.

Keep on teaching!

jbrewington
01-10-2022, 10:28 PM

I don't have a lathe, and welding around tubing is my weakness, so I improvised with a couple construction rollers.

Welding the bungs in can be done a many different ways. My process is to drill a 1/2” hole, half the length of the bung (in this case it was an inch in length, so 1/2” hole; 1/2” from end of the bung). After drilling holes, taper end of tubing on grinder for deeper weld penetration. The set-nut and bung was already screwed to within 7 threads of enduro joint from where i was doing the mock-up, so next i coat about 2” of threads with grease, then screw the bung down over the grease with about 3/4 the bung still on shaft(makes it easy to remove quickly after welding). Place joint/bung in tubing, tac each hole in side of tubing, weld bung in, button weld 1/2” holes. Remove joint immediately after welding so heat is not transfered to poly parts in the joint. Repeat same process on opposite end. Note, grease keeps bung from sticking to threaded shaft(bung can/will arc threads to bung while welding and reason for grease use) and once weld completed the grease gets burnt out so there isnt a grease mess once done.

This may not be the fastest way, but it makes a strong set-up.

Feel free to share your tips on doing this.

jbrewington
01-10-2022, 10:45 PM
Time to move on to another phase of this project; Double Triangulated 4-Link is done. :cool:

Flexed it on the 2post lift; everything cleared really well. What the pics show, was not a maximum flex. This type of suspension is impressive in the amount of movement you have.

Time for shocks, bump stops, limit straps.

bmorgil
01-11-2022, 07:06 AM
Definitely some range of motion there jb. Very similar to a Monster Truck set up.

LarrBeard
01-11-2022, 07:50 AM
Is the bung a slip fit into the tubing or does it take some persuading to get it into the tube?

jbrewington
01-11-2022, 11:06 AM
Is the bung a slip fit into the tubing or does it take some persuading to get it into the tube?

Prior my drill and grinder work, easy fit. After rat-tail file/deburring, same. Couple, I used a rubber mallet and dropped right in with no issues.

TJones
01-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Are you going to change the front axle JB so it has the same flexibility?
The rear is pretty impressive on what you did there!!!
I used to have a girlfriend back in my wilder days that was about that flexible, but now that I am Old and decrepit it probably would either kill me or wouldn't be nearly as fun :(:):(:)
Keep up the Good work Buddy!!!

bmorgil
01-12-2022, 12:18 PM
TJ you bad boy... Better hope Sue doesn't see that post!

TJones
01-13-2022, 06:53 AM
TJ you bad boy... Better hope Sue doesn't see that post!

What she doesn’t know or find out wont bother her one bit :):):)

jbrewington
01-14-2022, 11:03 AM
Are you going to change the front axle JB so it has the same flexibility?
The rear is pretty impressive on what you did there!!!
I used to have a girlfriend back in my wilder days that was about that flexible, but now that I am Old and decrepit it probably would either kill me or wouldn't be nearly as fun :
Keep up the Good work Buddy!!!

Tell us more about the girlfriend(bmorgil) and I'll give you more on the plan for the Willys:D Just kidding:cool:

It has the worst(my opinion) Dana 60 made in front of it not. Vacuum accuated, super expensive conversion for lockout hubs, etc etc. So, yes, looking at a different set-up but still working on a decision regarding steering(Full Hydraulic vs. Hydraulic Assist).

Front Differential, just picked it up yet, Dana Super 60 "Snow Fighter"

bmorgil
01-14-2022, 04:44 PM
The Dana super 60 Snow Fighter is the best front differential you will find. The vacuum disconnect front axle is easily modified with an axle shaft without the disconnect and a block off. However if you have a 60 model Snow fighter the decision is easy. Never count a model 60 out. It is one tough axle.

jbrewington
01-17-2022, 12:55 PM

All work and no play is NEVER good:D

Went up in the Ozark Mountains for the weekend.

Time to get back on the Willys I guess.

LarrBeard
01-17-2022, 01:12 PM
That second picture is a heck of a snow/mud convoy!

TJones
01-18-2022, 06:19 AM
Looks like you guys had a blast JB!!!

bmorgil
01-18-2022, 07:17 AM
You have to love it when you see someone using the equipment like it was meant to be!

gmwillys
01-18-2022, 12:45 PM
Looks like you guys had a great ride!

jbrewington
01-22-2022, 09:11 PM

Haven’t had much time this week to spend on the Willy’s but got back on it today. Located shock towers and spot welded in place. Cut and replaced section of floor. Got started on inner fender.

Fabricating takes time but it’s nice to design things the way you like.

Ordered a few more parts. My approach to all this is to keep supplies/parts available to work 3 different things at once. This way if I run into an issue and it stalls out for some reason, I will move over to something else to make good on my available time.

My somewhat tentative plan of attack/no certain order:
Shock towers/lower shock mount(current)
Inner fenders/floor(current)
Hydroboost/master cylinder(ordered)
Clutch/brake/gas pedal assembly
Steering column/base plate/2” drop mount

Maybe, some day, go through the Dana 60 and put it under this rig
Then we have steering gearbox/hydro assist cylinder to do
Maybe try to install those King Ranch seats:cool:

No shortage on things to get this through fabrication

Time and Money, that’s all it takes:cool:

LarrBeard
01-23-2022, 12:55 PM
You may not think you spend much time on the wagon, but you seem to show us big achievements and progress every time you post. I'll give you an efficiency Gold Star to stick on the welder...

That's a very nice fender well...

jbrewington
01-23-2022, 07:23 PM
You may not think you spend much time on the wagon, but you seem to show us big achievements and progress every time you post. I'll give you an efficiency Gold Star to stick on the welder...

Thank you sir!!

My goal is to have the fabrication work done in April; Driving it in October. To me, this is a tall order, but OK if it should not happen. I will say, I have NEVER built a frame off/fabrication like this in one year. My best to date is just shy 2 years. Work is getting in my way:cool:

TJones
01-24-2022, 05:36 AM

I second that Larrbeard !!!!

bmorgil
01-24-2022, 08:18 AM
Some sweet work jb!

jbrewington
01-28-2022, 10:18 PM

Well been working on locating steering column, brake/clutch/accelerator assembly, and hydrobooster/master cylinder. Even got the opportunity to cut out some fancy floor work from previous owner:cool:

Picked up a new gearbox and next will be an order for steering accessories for column to gearbox.

Welded in drivers side inner fender on the rear. Big big job here but we are getting there. One side down...

TJones
01-29-2022, 08:05 AM
Very nice work JB!!!!

bmorgil
01-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Quite a bit of top notch fab work JB! I am enjoying this build for sure.

jbrewington
01-30-2022, 08:15 PM
Item by item, I am getting this ‘thing’ ready for disassemble/paint. Some day I hope.

Cut out a rusted corner over drivers door on the top, and part of the drip rail. Cut out part of the header; inside over windshield, rusted out as well. These were on my to-do list so thought I would ‘knock them out right quick’. Not the case. Crazy amount of time. Small showing, but had to be done.

jbrewington
01-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Transparency is the word.

I have posted progress progress progress. Only showing the best of each days work; and obvious it is meeting the goal. But in true transparency, the struggles are real. Very real. It is more work than meets the eye per sa. For anyone thinking its so hard to get things done, cant find parts, sending you the wrong parts, think it will only take little time and ends up being two days worth work, researching everything just to learn how, dont have a team of people to help you, breaking tools, running out of something in the middle of a job, redoing someone else’s art work? Well it happens to all of us. Don't let it get to ya.

For my hydroboost and master cylinder, I spent weeks trying to get this worked out. For some reason, 4 different parts stores ordering a “2003 Dodge 2500 hydroboost and master cylinder”, and for every single store, none, I mean NONE of the hydroboost would mate up to master cylinder. Hydroboost was same at every location; but none of the master cylinders would mate up(wrong stud orientation, stubs to wide apart, bore larger than hydroboost, etc etc)? And nobody has an answer with only an assumption something/a part could have changed in the middle of year.

I share all this to say this, if you are working on something and seems you can’t get anything done, again, it happens to everyone doing this. We do it for a ‘reason’. Stay focused on your reason, and dont let the petty stuff get to ya. It takes TIME and Patience. Simple As That.

Enjoy your work, and keep picking at it, it will come together. Do a big job, then work on a few small one's so you can see the progress. My project, an ELEPHANT!! And I’m doing the work myself, no helpers, just to show people it can be done, with a little extra effort.

So stay focused; and let's check something off your project list(two thumbs up!!)

JB

bmorgil
01-31-2022, 10:49 AM
Your post is proving that diligence is key. Keep swinging JB its looking great!

gmwillys
01-31-2022, 02:28 PM
I agree whole heartedly with you JB. My wagon project has lingered around for going on four years since the big teardown, plus 29 years since it was last on the road legally. Once I get the garage-ma-hall annex wing completed, then I'll have more room to work. I have way too much stuff crammed into my current workspace. One step at a time, but most days it's a shuffle.

jbrewington
02-02-2022, 07:50 PM
I agree whole heartedly with you JB. My wagon project has lingered around for going on four years since the big teardown, plus 29 years since it was last on the road legally. Once I get the garage-ma-hall annex wing completed, then I'll have more room to work. I have way too much stuff crammed into my current workspace. One step at a time, but most days it's a shuffle.

Understand. It a shuffle around my place as well!!

jbrewington
02-08-2022, 06:38 PM
Just ordered rear bumper and steering linkage.

i'm broke!!

That's all.

TJones
02-09-2022, 05:25 AM
It doesn’t take long JB before you need to just walk away from it and “refund” yourself or your project :):)
That’s why I’ve always said “I hope the Bride never sells mine for what I’ve told her I’ve got in it” after I’m gone :):)
It must be a Jeep thing!!!

bmorgil
02-09-2022, 06:33 AM
How much do I have in it? Oh a few hundred dollars dear!

gmwillys
02-09-2022, 06:45 AM
A $500 auction Heep can turn into a $5,000 investment in a hurry. But compare that to the cost of mental/physical therapy, you'll come out better with your project, and have something to show for it. The outside of a Jeep is good for the inside of a person.

TJones
02-09-2022, 07:54 AM
How much do I have in it? Oh a few hundred dollars dear!

I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks that way :):):)

LarrBeard
02-09-2022, 09:38 AM
There is a Facebook cartoon that shows “The Old Guy” washing dishes, running the sweeper, ironing clothes, and such as his wife looks on. Finally she asks; “What caliber is it?”

Around here the question might be;”OK, what year is it?”

"The outside of a Jeep is good for the inside of a person."

A great saying!!!

gmwillys
02-09-2022, 02:32 PM
I borrowed the quote and modified it from Winston Churchill.

"the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"

TJones
02-09-2022, 03:35 PM
I borrowed the quote and modified it from Winston Churchill.

"the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"

That’s a Classic Gm!!!!

jbrewington
02-11-2022, 06:33 PM
A $500 auction Heep can turn into a $5,000 investment in a hurry. But compare that to the cost of mental/physical therapy, you'll come out better with your project, and have something to show for it. The outside of a Jeep is good for the inside of a person.

You are so correct!!

I use the word “balance”

My job can wind a person up occasionally and when in done, I’ll do things that need my attention then I’m off to the garage. I think everyone should have a ‘balance’. Mine is garage time.

A friend asked me the other day, “ are you keeping up with your receipts?” I said HELL NO!!! For two reasons, 1) i don’t need my wife knowing, and 2) it’s depressing (with the price of things theses days). :)

jbrewington
02-11-2022, 07:06 PM

Them guys on TV much faster than me:cool::D

jbrewington
02-11-2022, 07:25 PM
So I’ve been showing small shots of progress...here is where I’m kinda at.

Day 1 with it still on trailer, then now. Started the build Oct. 15th, 2021. About two more months of work before i send it out for paint.

TJones
02-11-2022, 08:15 PM
You should be proud JB, it took me 3 years:):(

bmorgil
02-12-2022, 07:08 AM
That is great progress jb! That thing looks so cool with the rear wheels all the way back. Looks like a monster ready to pounce.

jbrewington
02-18-2022, 03:27 PM
Well, had a guy come by garage with a pocket full of money today. Said he found out about this rig and had to look me up. Seems he’s been wanting one of these to do the same thing to, he says.

He had nice trailer to haul it on, but sent him home without this junkr:D:D:D

Hard to believe the big money people will offer for stuff like this. He was well aware of what I already had in it, expense wise; had to appreciate him on that.

No pics lately, not much garage time. Back at it though, today, then gone for 4 days I guess. Wife said i need to make a house payment??

LarrBeard
02-18-2022, 04:21 PM
You'll find that.

What people don't realize is that once you're done with it - there is more invested in it than money. They are surprised that their money can't buy the vision, sweat and soul you've put into the job.

Some folks act kind of offended when you turn them down. And, I would be kind of offended if someone just showed up with a trailer and expected me to sell it on the spot - no real conversation to make him think I was interested...

Harumph!

TJones
02-19-2022, 05:49 AM
You are spot on about being a little offended…
There is one little detail you left out LarrBeard, you forgot to mention the the “blood loss” through the whole project it is Priceless!!:):)

bmorgil
02-19-2022, 06:59 AM
You never know what someone will give you. I have watched some pretty outrageous prices during the Barrett-Jackson auctions. You never know, if someone offered up enough you might sell your blood!

LarrBeard
02-19-2022, 08:06 AM
You never know, if someone offered up enough you might sell your blood!

Sell my blood - I've donated a bunch of it..

Sell my kids or Grandkids .. On the right day ???

Sell my Truck .. NO WAY!

gmwillys
02-19-2022, 10:26 AM
That's how I feel about ever giving up my 2A. There is no amount of money that would tempt me to part with it. The wagon, maybe.

jbrewington
02-19-2022, 08:01 PM
Well, shop’s closed for 4 days. Out making that house payment :cool:

But, I got a little time in yesterday afternoon. Focused on steering. Steering wheel to gear box.

Just to keep it transparent; the struggles are real in my garage as well. 1) notched the crossmember/restitched it 2) steering wheel adapter was a ‘flaw’; meaning of the 9 holes to mount steering wheel to steering wheel adapter, only one screw threaded all the way in to secure steering wheel. I will call and get another steering wheel adapter headed my way.

bmorgil
02-20-2022, 07:22 AM
The steering is one of those things that are super important to get right and difficult to do get done correctly. Looking good jb!

TJones
02-20-2022, 07:47 AM
OMG Jb it gives me nightmares watching you do your steering linkage. It took me a long time to get mine figured out (maybe 3-4 beers and a couple Winstons sitting on a bucket for a couple nights straight) without putting 3-4 u joints or pillar blocks in it to get it from the end of the column to the box, I finally cut a notch out of the motor mount and welded a piece of pipe back in it to give it a little strength back and only ended up using 2 u joints.
I even had to find some block hugger headers for the Buick V6 so the steering wouldn't get in the way.
You did a Great Job on yours!!!

jbrewington
02-21-2022, 11:14 AM
OMG Jb it gives me nightmares watching you do your steering linkage. It took me a long time to get mine figured out (maybe 3-4 beers and a couple Winstons sitting on a bucket for a couple nights straight) without putting 3-4 u joints or pillar blocks in it to get it from the end of the column to the box, I finally cut a notch out of the motor mount and welded a piece of pipe back in it to give it a little strength back and only ended up using 2 u joints.
I even had to find some block hugger headers for the Buick V6 so the steering wouldn't get in the way.
You did a Great Job on yours!!!

I know what you mean. I was like, believe I will put the seats in today. But had no steering wheel. No steering column. So here the debacle started. Steering column, well it appears I needed to make the Steering column happy with the clutch/brake pedal assembly, and then, I would know where to center drivers seat, right?:cool:

Then when I seen how much steering linkage cost, I considered a Go-Fund-Me account. GEEZZZ:D But I got it done. About 1400.00 from new Steering Gear Box to Horn Button. Add it up(shaking my head....):D

Horn Button 55.00
Steering Wheel 175.00
Steering Column 300.00
Steering Column Mounts 110.00
Steering uJoints/DD rod 465.00
Steering Gear Box 300.00

Stuff adds up. Should be just short of a million dollars by the time I get this thing rolling.

LarrBeard
02-21-2022, 11:42 AM
"Stuff adds up. Should be just short of a million dollars by the time I get this thing rolling."

And a bargain at twice the price.

Nobody - and Nobody - will have anything like it!

gmwillys
02-21-2022, 01:03 PM
That's why I work on everyone else's junk to finance my own projects.... But then I run low on time for my own Heeps.

TJones
02-21-2022, 03:06 PM
It adds up real quick jb........................

bmorgil
02-22-2022, 07:01 AM
jb I gotta say that's a pretty good cost for a complete steering hook up. I think you did well there.

jbrewington
02-22-2022, 08:32 AM

Merry Christmas to me in February

Rear bumper w/tire carrier, double jerry can and high-lift jack mounts:D:D:D

I still have passenger inner fender to burn in, then to bumpers and rock slides. Stay tuned for this crazy trip I’m on....

bmorgil
02-22-2022, 10:34 AM
No question I am staying tuned!

gmwillys
02-22-2022, 07:11 PM
Sweet presents! Santa couldn't haul it all at once!

jbrewington
02-24-2022, 08:18 AM
jb I gotta say that's a pretty good cost for a complete steering hook up. I think you did well there.

Thank you sir. Some of these parts can be had at 2-4 times price I chose. Totally agree.

jbrewington
03-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Wotk is getting in my way.

Solutions?

bmorgil
03-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Retire into making custom Willys.

gmwillys
03-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Sound advice, until I look at my investments tumble outside of the defense industry stocks, because of the instability in the Ukraine.

jbrewington
03-03-2022, 06:27 PM
Sound advice, until I look at my investments tumble outside of the defense industry stocks, because of the instability in the Ukraine.

I understand completely. Almost 40k since first of the year. And not expecting anything exciting to happen either(shaking head back and forth). We are in fir treat before all this is over. Hope I can finish this project; craziest government ive ever seen.

jbrewington
03-03-2022, 09:06 PM
This thing has been a bear this week. Working on passenger inner fender.

gmwillys
03-03-2022, 09:23 PM
Some days things fall into place, then others the simplest things fight you every step of the way. Keep plugging along!

jbrewington
03-04-2022, 08:26 PM
Some days things fall into place, then others the simplest things fight you every step of the way. Keep plugging along!

Time to move past this idea of relocating rear fenders. Done!

Get something else going. Did I mention borg warner compound turbo set inbound?

gmwillys
03-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Compounds ought to motivate your wagon pretty well!

TJones
03-05-2022, 05:14 AM
JB you are going all out on this build!!! WOW is all I can say Great Job!!!

bmorgil
03-05-2022, 08:25 AM
Looks really good jb! Compounds are the way to go. No turbo lag.

jbrewington
03-31-2022, 11:29 PM
Back on the Willys. Had to go make some pocket jingle

Front bumper mounted9251

TJones
04-01-2022, 04:59 AM
I was just wondering what happened to you yesterday!!!
We haven’t heard a peep out of JB for awhile, bumper looks great!!!
Did you make it?

gmwillys
04-01-2022, 05:08 AM
The bumper looks good on there. I was wondering how it was going to look with the proportions of the Dodge frame to the body. I like the way it turned out.

LarrBeard
04-01-2022, 07:00 AM
That is a MOVE DAMMIT! bumper.

bmorgil
04-01-2022, 06:33 PM
Truly a beast jb!

jbrewington
04-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Rear bumper on. That was work!!

jbrewington
04-02-2022, 10:06 AM
Installed pics...tire carrier/high-lift jack/2 jerry cans

Smittybilt Atlas JK bumper; flared to ‘56 Willy’s :cool:

LarrBeard
04-02-2022, 01:28 PM
The front bumper is a "MOVE DAMMIT" bumper and the back end is a "I DARE YOU TO HIT ME" rig. That is one fantastic job. I marvel at the metal bending and fitting.

bmorgil
04-02-2022, 05:23 PM
jb I hope you have some bad a## brakes on that rig. It is a lot of power with a lot of weight. A sledgehammer to say the least! You are going to need some solid anchors that's for sure.

jbrewington
04-02-2022, 08:29 PM
jb I hope you have some bad a## brakes on that rig. It is a lot of power with a lot of weight. A sledgehammer to say the least! You are going to need some solid anchors that's for sure.

Well I haven't been through the brakes yet but will. Dodge 2500; disk in front and drum brakes for the back. I will go completely through the brakes before getting it out. New lines to rotors. Just put in a new hydraulic booster and new master cylinder(1.5" plunger).

I worked on a friends car today(65 fastback black on black; I had backhalfed it, narrowed rearend, and today put the new axles in and place wilwood calipers on. So it is ready to go out for paint and not be taking anymore time for now). Now, I have to run the valves on dad's old truck and put valve covers back on. And sold my white jeep. Long story short, cleaning up some small list items so I can put my focus back on the Willys.

I am down to a list. Full page, but once completed, off to paint. Goal is end of April. Time will tell. :-)

gmwillys
04-04-2022, 10:48 AM
Job well done on the rear bumper! Glad your list has dwindled down to one page. That is quite the feat in itself.

jbrewington
04-04-2022, 04:37 PM
Mirrors mounted today

Took all the internals out of doors, labeled, filed away for another day

jbrewington
04-04-2022, 06:14 PM
Looked out and my shop supervisors were no longer on their bed...

TJones
04-04-2022, 06:59 PM
She is Real close to ship it out JB, to get her new dress put on her!!!

gmwillys
04-04-2022, 08:15 PM
Looks like the supervisors are ready for a patrol of the kingdom. The mirrors look great! Glad you opted not to follow the trend of these kids with the late model Ram Bullwinkle mirrors.

bmorgil
04-05-2022, 06:25 AM
The dogs are ready to run!

LarrBeard
04-05-2022, 07:14 AM
"Em's a cuppala nice lookin' dawgs Jay Bee".

All dogs love trucks....

jbrewington
04-07-2022, 06:47 PM
Welded holes up in dash; so I could cut more holes, in dash:cool:

2” gauges next; temp, oil press, boost, egt

TJones
04-08-2022, 06:39 AM
Nice Job JB!!!

gmwillys
04-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Looking great!

jbrewington
04-17-2022, 05:14 PM
Looking for some rock slides and brackets for a 1956 Willys Wagon:cool:

gmwillys
04-17-2022, 08:46 PM
With your talent, you could definitely whip up a pair of sliders and brackets in no time.

jbrewington
04-18-2022, 06:24 PM
With your talent, you could definitely whip up a pair of sliders and brackets in no time.

Just trying to get someone worked up!! :D

I make ‘everything’:D

gmwillys
04-19-2022, 05:12 AM
Your custom brackets are a lot more sturdy than the ones that came with the sliders. I like the way they look on there.

bmorgil
04-19-2022, 06:31 AM
JB..... just toying with us?

jbrewington
04-19-2022, 10:23 AM
JB..... just toying with us?

Yes sir, maybe :-)

jbrewington
04-22-2022, 12:20 PM

one long exhaust system...

TJones
04-24-2022, 06:08 AM

one long exhaust system...

I would say so :cool::cool:

gmwillys
04-25-2022, 05:05 AM
There sits a fortune in tubing.

jbrewington
04-26-2022, 09:55 AM
There sits a fortune in tubing.

Yes!! Just YES!!

jbrewington
04-26-2022, 09:57 AM
Today is garage day if all goes well.

You guys know the time required to get this done. Haven’t put it out to pasture, yet.

jbrewington
04-29-2022, 07:12 PM
Got my friend out to do some final detail/straightening on the sheet metal panel replacements. If you never witnessed an old school body shop guy do metal work on panels, your missing out on an art in itself. Vice grips and ratchet strap. Pry bar. Assortment of well used body panel hammers. Hand torch a spot of metal to the point it is red hot/almost red hot and swelled out like a big ol knot, then hammer it in, throw a water saturated rag on it then hammer some more. And presto; on to the next spot... impressive.

TJones
04-30-2022, 06:36 AM
You are spot on JB it is a art and there are not to many artist left that do it the ole fashion way!!

bmorgil
04-30-2022, 08:13 AM
These guys have an inherit ability to "see" a flat surface. Amazing how it looks after paint.

jbrewington
04-30-2022, 09:51 AM
More craziness up in here today...

bmorgil
04-30-2022, 11:33 AM
Now that is unique!

jbrewington
05-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Still doing that thing called fabricating. Getting more and more done.

Interior braces and underneath rear quarter panel bracing. Been working; just not posting. I will be posting some pics soon you guys might find a little more interesting ��

LarrBeard
05-06-2022, 07:32 AM
I hope you are not planning on needing that! (Like a parachute or pistol - if you do need it, you want it to be there, just in case.)

LarrBeard
05-06-2022, 07:34 AM
We're good at watching someone else work.

bmorgil
05-06-2022, 07:42 AM
jb, if you have an idea of how many hours have/are going into this, it would be educational to know. I think many are unaware of the amount of time that goes into the planning and engineering as well as fabrication and assembly fitting etc. I would love to hear the number of hours it takes for a shop like yours (well equipped, technically sound and capable) to do such a project.

Be sure to download your thread every now and then. It will be a cool addition to the build. We have lost a thread or two from time to time!

jbrewington
05-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Can you educate me further on the how to download this thread. Not familiar.

And I will have to get back with you on hours involved.

bmorgil
05-06-2022, 11:16 AM
Under "Thread Tools" choose "Show a Printable Version". From there you can use your browser to save it as a PDF file. Unfortunately the pictures wont be there so you have to keep track of the photos yourself.

jbrewington
05-09-2022, 11:07 AM
Under "Thread Tools" choose "Show a Printable Version". From there you can use your browser to save it as a PDF file. Unfortunately the pictures wont be there so you have to keep track of the photos yourself.

Thank you sir. I will take a look at this.

jbrewington
05-09-2022, 11:18 AM
More and more of this glamorous body work/quarter panels. Hopefully after this evening we will be ready for bead blasting and I have plans to meet with painter this week.

Then, maybe, between firing the smoker up to cook up some Amarillo Eggs, I will get some more time in setting up the compound turbos:rolleyes:

bmorgil
05-09-2022, 11:56 AM
If you can set those turbos up in the 2 hours it takes to smoke Amarillo Eggs, you are as good as it gets! I understand its best to eat those with a glass of milk.

gmwillys
05-09-2022, 12:44 PM
Armadillo eggs are some of my favorites off the smoker. It depends on the jalapeños that you use, if you need the milk or not. It would be a fair bet that JB's might require the whole carton.

LarrBeard
05-10-2022, 06:26 AM
And a quart of ice cream to cool everything off. "Come on ice cream".

Getting the body panels straight isn't glamorous work, but those are the first things people notice and they set the stage for the rest of the work of art.

jbrewington
05-12-2022, 07:38 AM
And a quart of ice cream to cool everything off. "Come on ice cream".

Getting the body panels straight isn't glamorous work, but those are the first things people notice and they set the stage for the rest of the work of art.

“Come on ice cream"

jbrewington
05-15-2022, 06:37 PM

Turbos in place and first run of tubing considered a start?:cool::cool::cool:

bmorgil
05-16-2022, 06:18 AM
That fits in there just right! What a contrast, a compound turbo tucked up against a '56 firewall.

LarrBeard
05-16-2022, 11:18 AM
OK - I'll ask the question... Just what are compound turbos"

Turbo 1 feeding turbo 2?

gmwillys
05-16-2022, 11:58 AM
That is correct Chief. The output of a smaller turbo #1 spools a larger turbo #2. The benefit is better low end torque, mid range, and high end performance. There is a reduction in turbo lag, with the smaller turbo pushing air to the larger unit.