PDA

View Full Version : 1947 CJ2a Project Begins

LilWhip
02-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Hi! Excited to join this forum as I know I will have a ton of questions about my newly acquired 1947 Jeep CJ2a. Super excited that it has the original go-devil engine and 3-speed transmission. It hasn't been started in 30 years and I am trying to decide where to even begin. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get this willy's running again with the ultimate goal of a frame-up restoration.

gmwillys
02-10-2022, 07:12 PM
Welcome LilWhip.

LarrBeard has put together a really good step by step list of items to look for and a to-do list to follow. He'll be by soon to chime in if he isn't too busy sunning his head on the beach.

Your 2A looks pretty good so far! The cab probably helped the tub from rotting too badly. Please feel free to ask anything you may want to know. If we don't know right off, we will sure find out for you.

TJones
02-11-2022, 06:53 AM
You came to the right site LilWhip welcome aboard!!
As gm said Larrbeard has some good tips on getting your new baby fired up!!
Don’t be afraid to ask anything, there is no such thing as a dumb question on this site.
As the Super Moderators have stated in the past “You get what you pay for” information wise that is:):)

bmorgil
02-11-2022, 07:57 AM
Here is some help on starting it up from LarrBeard.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?1820-Start-up-Best-Practices

LilWhip
02-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for your support. No doubt I will have a ton of questions. The original owner added a lot of random aftermarket items like a snowplow, cab heater, two horns(LOL), and some other items. I am going to work on pulling all of that out and doing an inventory of what parts are missing. I'll try to grab some additional pictures of the engine and interior. One cool thing I found, is a vintage Chevrolet box radio sitting behind the passenger seat. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning:D

bmorgil
02-11-2022, 10:57 AM
Haha, I understand the feeling! Like a treasure box found in a field. It looks like it is in great shape. It appears to be all there. I love the top. A few guys have showed up with tops on them. The tops are rare to find in any kind of usable condition. They definitely add to the ability to use the Jeep in inclement weather. The heater is a nice option. Your going to have fun with it that's for sure. We will definitely help if we can.

Gureko
02-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Welcome, looking forward for more info about your project as it comes, good luck! I am currently outside of my country on a work trip helping clients with these (https://tranio.com/uae/dubai/palm_jumeirah/detached/) Palm Jumeirah villas for sale, hope I can finish by the end of this month and come back home. I really miss my Jeep and would love to take it for a ride.

LilWhip
02-17-2022, 05:03 PM
Okay, got around to taking some more pictures. The original owner had lots of add-ons that I am in the process of removing. I am working on removing the snowplow setup, old school block heater, cab heater, and the old Chevrolet box radio in the back. Super excited that everything is in pretty good shape all things considered. I hope to get through the checklist provided by LarrBeard this weekend to see how the engine looks. Been having a blast already:)

bmorgil
02-17-2022, 06:02 PM
I love it! You've got a lot there to start with. Your going to enjoy this for sure.