PDA

View Full Version : Are these springs usable ?

Wulfie
06-02-2022, 11:25 PM
Pic of springs that came off of my project , as can be seen in pic they pretty rusty in between each spring ,can they be reused or better to replace ?

TJones
06-03-2022, 05:28 AM
Sometimes you can take the center pin out Wulfie, and clean them up with a flap disc and then primer and repaint them then stack them all back together and pin them.
If their not broken I wouldn’t replace them.

bmorgil
06-03-2022, 07:18 AM
If they weren't sagging when the vehicle weight was on them and they aren't visibly cracked or broken, you could clean them up and give them a try. If the vehicle sags there not that hard to replace.

gmwillys
06-03-2022, 07:53 AM
I concur with all. If the Jeep wasn't sagging, and had a good arch to them, then break them down and paint.

TJones
06-03-2022, 08:03 AM
We have an old school spring shop here in Akron that would take them and re-arch them back to normal if they do have a little sag to them.

bmorgil
06-03-2022, 11:14 AM
There are a few things about leaf springs and how to maintain them that has changed through the years. The link below is the "go to" for leaf spring anything, Eaton Detroit Spring. Custom, stock or tech advice. I have recommended them more than once. Their web page is packed with knowledge about springs and more. It is well laid out by topic in the tech section. It is more than you will ever need to know about your leaf springs from proper disassembly to reassembly and even painting.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/#

Wulfie
06-03-2022, 07:17 PM
Thanks men for the quick replys, I was think about putting old ones back on just to be able to move the frame outa the shop .Gonna go ahead and take em apart and clean em up and reinstall them. Dont know until I try .